• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I tried to raise the strap and BCLK to 125mhz to bypass, and maybe create a better OC. Nope, completely fucked my system, had to move the CMOS over and back.

I don't know what to do now? Should I try to return the 4770k for another one stating I'm having BSOD issues and heat issues?

Because clearly this chip is not great for OCing.
You're going about it the wrong way.

You need to create a baseline and see what your chip does at stock frequency, find the minimum voltage required there. Do steppings of 200mhz at a time, finding what's necessary.

Starting from where you would like to be and working back is more or less the lazy method that worked fine with chips like Sandy, because you could pour the volts on without worrying about the heatwall.

Also keep in mind your BCLK strap affects memory, which might be the culprit behind failing to boot there.

You could always delid as well.
Hey guys - I have a Rampage IV Extreme mobo.

I have two 128 GB SSD's.

I have two 240 GB SSDs.

The two 128 GB SSD's are detected in the RAID configuration, but it doesn't pick up the 240 GB SSDs.

The BIOS picks up all of the SSDs including the two 240 GB ones.

Any idea why the RAID setup menu doesn't detect the two 240 GB ones?
Are they all on the same SATA controller? There should be a different RAID controller for a different SATA controller.

IIRC, the RIVE has 3 total? Intel 6GB, Intel 3GB, then Marvell 6GB.

bro1

Banned
I'm going to be building my first gaming PC. I'll have an i7-3770K and GTX 770, might go SLI in the future, what wattage PSU should I get? Will 750W cover it?

What quailty of PSU? They are recommending either a 550 or 600 for a single 770.

Ezalc

2011 means the Socket. Different processor series. Socket 1150 (Haswell) is limited to quadcore. Socket 2011 (Sandy-E and Ivy-E) has six core and other super powerful stuff.

Ah thanks. Yeah shows my absolute lack of knowledge on the subject. Kind of wish I knew more so I didn't always need to ask for help in such things.

kennah

Ah thanks. Yeah shows my absolute lack of knowledge on the subject. Kind of wish I knew more so I didn't always need to ask for help in such things.

Just pay attention, eventually you'll learn :) Play around with PC Parts Picker, try to put together the builds in the OP, the ones that people mention. You'll learn here and there. This thread is a good start!

MedIC86

Im still doubting what 27" to buy, the Dell looks awesome but i hear some bad things about it. But it could be a vocal minority.

mkenyon

Banned
Im still doubting what 27" to buy, the Dell looks awesome but i hear some bad things about it. But it could be a vocal minority.
Yeah, the motion quality is total garbage. It's a blurry mess whenever there's anything remotely fast paced going on. This is what continually perplexes me about the IQ guys. It's like the IQ is judged by a still picture, which is a rarity in video games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

That has okay motion quality, and the colors are actually a bit better than the Dell. It also comes calibrated from the factory, looking spectacular when you get it out of the box.

MedIC86

I have a Dell U2713H (27"). What would you like to know about it, and what have you been reading?

Well, i hear about the crosshatching problems, the backlight bleed (altho this wouldnt bother me because i dont mind that really), stuck/dead pixels, and random high pitched noises when it displays a certain pattern on screen.

Yeah, the motion quality is total garbage. It's a blurry mess whenever there's anything remotely fast paced going on. This is what continually perplexes me about the IQ guys. It's like the IQ is judged by a still picture, which is a rarity in video games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

That has okay motion quality, and the colors are actually a bit better than the Dell. It also comes calibrated from the factory, looking spectacular when you get it out of the box.

Been looking at that one, but i heard about PWM problems or something? dont know really what that means tho.

glow

Banned
What quailty of PSU? They are recommending either a 550 or 600 for a single 770.

I'm buying the PSU bundled with the i7-3770K from Microcenter and my 3 options are

1) Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt ATX Power Supply $44.99
2) Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply $79.99
3) Corsair HX-Series 1050 Watt ATX 12V Modular Power Supply $179.99

mkenyon

Banned
Been looking at that one, but i heard about PWM problems or something? dont know really what that means tho.
Monitor brightness is done via pulse width modulation. Basically, it changes the frequency the LEDs are blinking at to either brighten or dim the panel. People who are sensitive to this sort of thing will notice it a bit more with this monitor.

I'm extremely sensitive towards frame times, and see a HUGE difference with 120Hz monitors, and I personally have not noticed the PWM issue on the PB278Q.

It's like flourescent bulbs. They're constantly blinking, but they are doing it at a high enough frequency that it looks continuous.
I'm buying the PSU bundled with the i7-3770K from Microcenter and my 3 options are

1) Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt ATX Power Supply $44.99
2) Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply $79.99
3) Corsair HX-Series 1050 Watt ATX 12V Modular Power Supply $179.99
Do you take a hit on the CPU price if you don't bundle it with one of those? None of those are very good options.

glow

Banned
Monitor brightness is done via pulse width modulation. Basically, it changes the frequency the LEDs are blinking at to either brighten or dim the panel. People who are sensitive to this sort of thing will notice it a bit more with this monitor.

I'm extremely sensitive towards frame times, and see a HUGE difference with 120Hz monitors, and I personally have not noticed the PWM issue on the PB278Q.

It's like flourescent bulbs. They're constantly blinking, but they are doing it at a high enough frequency that it looks continuous.

Do you take a hit on the CPU price if you don't bundle it with one of those? None of those are very good options.

No, the i7-3770K is $249 either way. Do you have a suggestion for PSU? I've been lurking this thread for a bit and you seem like you're an expert.

Smash88

Banned
Well, i hear about the crosshatching problems, the backlight bleed (altho this wouldnt bother me because i dont mind that really), stuck/dead pixels, and random high pitched noises when it displays a certain pattern on screen.

With the H line, I don't think I have read anything about crosshatching problems, and I have none that I am aware of. The HM might be afflicted by this, even then it is the vocal minority. I ordered my U2713H and started reading about Ray Trace problems, dead pixels, and backlight bleed. It really is a minority. My backlight bleed is great (as in minimal - as small as it gets), no dead pixels. Make sure you google dead pixel test when you get a monitor and test red, blue, green, black, white. I found none on mine. Dell has a pretty good return policy and exchange, a friend had to exchange his monitor and they shipped a new one the next day, no questions asked.

Also no high pitched noises, silent and great color reproduction on the H series. I was reading about a host of other problems, the "ray tracing" issue or motion that everyone complains about is not as bad as it sounds. I can still game comfortably. I can still be #1 on the leaderboards, I guess for people that have a specific eye for that and it bothers them it may be a problem, but I'm still the same.

Long story short, you are reading the vocal minority. People, such as I, would not post as there are no problems to complain about. :D

Whatever you decide to choose though I'm sure you'll be fine.

MedIC86

Okay thanks for clearing that up, but does it work that way in all LED screens or how can i know if im sensitive to it.

Also i never had an ASUS screen, i presume the panel is made by LG?

sqwarlock

OC'd my i5 2500k to 4.1GHz @ 1.188V last night. I know it's not much, but it's my first ever overclock and I'm pretty happy with it.

The more important thing for me is upgrading my 560Ti. I'm thinking of going with the 2GB 770 since I don't really care about future-proofing at the moment.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay thanks for clearing that up, but does it work that way in all LED screens or how can i know if im sensitive to it.

Also i never had an ASUS screen, i presume the panel is made by LG?
Yep, and... I think so?
Been seeing people going Seasonic. Quieter than the Corsairs or just a matter of preference?
A few Corsair PSUs are actually rebranded Seasonics. Seasonic has just been the gold standard for a number of years. Corsair switched to Flextronics for a lot of their PSUs and I'm rather impressed with their performance too.
No, the i7-3770K is $249 either way. Do you have a suggestion for PSU? I've been lurking this thread for a bit and you seem like you're an expert.
Looking at Microcenter only, it looks like the TX650M would be a good pick.
OC'd my i5 2500k to 4.1GHz @ 1.188V last night. I know it's not much, but it's my first ever overclock and I'm pretty happy with it.

The more important thing for me is upgrading my 560Ti. I'm thinking of going with the 2GB 770 since I don't really care about future-proofing at the moment.
560Ti->770 will more than double your performance. That's a great upgrade, and the 770 is a great card. Nice OC too!

mkenyon

Banned
In layman's terms, why are high refresh rate monitors usually not IPS?
I've been asking LG, ASUS, Samsung, and BenQ this for awhile now. It's fucking annoying.

Probably price though. But I don't care. If there was an IPS 1400p 120hz native monitor released, I'd gladly pay $1000 for it.

It could be that IPS just has too much difficulty with good motion quality to qualify as a legitimate gaming monitor. That's totally talking out of my ass though.
Thanks for looking it up, I appreciate it. I'll pick one of those up.
\m/

musicjunkie

Neo Member
A few Corsair PSUs are actually rebranded Seasonics. Seasonic has just been the gold standard for a number of years. Corsair switched to Flextronics for a lot of their PSUs and I'm rather impressed with their performance too.

Thanks for the quick reply. Suppose I may as well pick your brain real quick for this. The following build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12OP6

Can I get away with the SeaSonic M12II 620 or should I stick with the AX750?

Won't be OCing in the near future so not concerned about that. Only video card upgrade would be to a 770 4GB if games start to demand it. Maybe 780 if I'm feeling crazy.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the quick reply. Suppose I may as well pick your brain real quick for this. The following build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/12OP6

Can I get away with the SeaSonic M12II 620 or should I stick with the AX750?

Won't be OCing in the near future so not concerned about that. Only video card upgrade would be to a 770 4GB if games start to demand it. Maybe 780 if I'm feeling crazy.
The M12II 620 could handle a Titan in that build no problem.

mkenyon

Banned
295523_525614687504331_1399452838_n.jpg

I posted this before, but some other cool info. The PSU is 500W, handles a Haswell/Titan setup just fine. The optical drive is also built in, so you don't need to fuss with finding one that fits just right.

Pretty rad little Big Picture Box right there.

mkenyon

Banned
Any reason to get a sound card with a shit sound system? I usually use my senheiser 595 if that means anything.
Yeah. The 595s are pretty good, and would sound better with a better sound card. It's one of those subjective things though on how important audio quality is to you.

The OP has some baseline recommendations, but I've vetted this guide with the audiophile gamers I know, and everyone seems to agree it's pretty legit.

It has me lusting after the Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

demonkaze

I'll try asking again as the message got lost yesterday but I'm looking into getting nvidia 3D vision 2 for my monitor. I have a new monitor that supports this and a graphics card too, I was wondering what I needed to buy to use it?

Can I get just the glasses or do I have to buy the kit that comes with the glasses + IR receiver etc.? Also is there any good deals out there on a pair of these, i'm in the UK if that helps at all.

HoosTrax

I'll try asking again as the message got lost yesterday but I'm looking into getting nvidia 3D vision 2 for my monitor. I have a new monitor that supports this and a graphics card too, I was wondering what I needed to buy to use it?

Can I get just the glasses or do I have to buy the kit that comes with the glasses + IR receiver etc.? Also is there any good deals out there on a pair of these, i'm in the UK if that helps at all.
Depends on the monitor model.

The ASUS 24" does not have the receiver built into the monitor. The 27" ASUS does, so you would not need the kit, just the glasses.

I just went from Lynnfield to Haswell and I love it. Of course I never did any before/after benchmarking or anything, and I upgraded my SSD, and I'm on a fresh install - so those all might be factors - but my computer is a lot faster now. I think I remember Anandtech stating that for those upgrading from older chips, a Haswell can bring about a 30-40% increase.

I have my 4670K at 4.0 on passive cooling and my temps barely break 50C under load.

Thanks for this reply! :)

RivalCore

295523_525614687504331_1399452838_n.jpg

I posted this before, but some other cool info. The PSU is 500W, handles a Haswell/Titan setup just fine. The optical drive is also built in, so you don't need to fuss with finding one that fits just right.

Pretty rad little Big Picture Box right there.

That is a tasty little case. Really considering up(down?)grading to an ITX build, I really don't need a midi case.

HoosTrax

Is there anywhere I can check to see if the receiver is built in, I have a 24" BenQ XL2411T.
XL2410T doesn't have a built-in 3D thingy
XL2420T doesn't have a built-in 3D thingy
XL2420TX does

You can see all of the 3D monitors here, and it will say if it has "built-in emitter".

demonkaze

Hmm, I checked that and it doesn't list my monitor at all which is strange because I think this is the newer model of the ones listed. So I'm guessing that means I need to get the kit then?

Smash88

Banned
RsIKPNbl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RsIKPNb.jpg

80C-82C 100% - With random 83C spikes.

Click the link to see the bigger picture of it.

4.1GHZ - 1.185 Vcore.

That heat. It's stable, but damn Haswell you disappoint me. I might pick up Broadwell if I can get a better OC and Temps. But this is just sad. And I have an H100i cooling this as well.

Oh and temperature in my room is 26C.

Colin.

4.1GHZ - 1.185 Vcore.

That heat. It's stable, but damn Haswell you disappoint me. I might pick up Broadwell if I can get a better OC and Temps. But this is just sad. And I have an H100i cooling this as well.

Damn, and that's not even OC it by much. What is the temperature while idle? And what was the temperature of your last cpu under the same test?

HoosTrax

Every time I get the urge to drive down to MicroCenter and pick up a 4770k, I see a screenshot like that. They are having a nice discount on Z77s though, so I might pick up an ITX and a Prodigy to play with in the meantime.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So glad I went with the 3820/2011 Socket.

Gets me by for now just fine - I'll be pretty content at 4.5ish GHz, which seems totally do-able. And I can drop in a 6-core Ivy Bridge -E later down the road if I'm so inclined.

kennah

·feist·;61296233 said:
Another year, another mix of high highs and low lows at Computex.

Or, keep it simple, and go with the best overall blue-bladed fan out (more so the 140mm model).*

31.jpg

http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=160&page=1
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/index.asp?itemid=11

Otherwise, Deep Cool is fine and, depending on your country, can be had under two different brands with minor to major differences. Just avoid Phanteks' blue fans.

*Assuming Prolimatech haven't already been mentioned, as I haven't exactly been around recently and it's such an obvious choice...

Hey I missed this earlier. Thanks so much. They're kind of a pain in the butt to find in Canada but it looks like I can get these at NewEgg for $11 each. THANKS!

So glad I went with the 3820/2011 Socket.

Gets me by for now just fine - I'll be pretty content at 4.5ish GHz, which seems totally do-able. And I can drop in a 6-core Ivy Bridge -E later down the road if I'm so inclined.

I'm SO GLAD I managed to find a good deal on 2011 for my friend who was building a high end computer. Originally was going to wait for Haswell, but found a steal of a deal on a 3820 and Sabertooth X79. Kinda undecided about taking it off his hands when he upgrades to a hexcore, Gigabyte doesn't make a mATX 2011 board and I don't want to go full ATX.

Are there new 2011 boards coming out or is what we got what we're getting?

M3z_

RsIKPNbl.jpg

4.1GHZ - 1.185 Vcore.

Yeah the heat is bad, but you can take solace in the fact that the sort of stress p95 puts on your processor exceeds what even video rendering software puts on it. If all you do is play games you certainly would never approach those temps.

Damn :O

What's SLi? And what would be a 2013 system?

its the naming scheme for the method of using 2 or more graphics cards (4 is the max) that work together as one.

SLI is NVidia's and AMD calls their version CrossFire

RsIKPNbl.jpg

4.1GHZ - 1.185 Vcore.

Holy shit that's sad and now I wonder what's the baseline on the chip lottery (looks like you are on the losing end)

Smash88

Banned
Damn, and that's not even OC it by much. What is the temperature while idle? And what was the temperature of your last cpu under the same test?

Idle temps are around 30-35C.

Last CPU? Do you mean default clocks? Not sure what you mean by that last question.

Every time I get the urge to drive down to MicroCenter and pick up a 4770k, I see a screenshot like that. They are having a nice discount on Z77s though, so I might pick up an ITX and a Prodigy to play with in the meantime.

I lost the CPU lottery. You may be lucky. I cannot do 4.5ghz or 4.6ghz stable. Hopefully I can at least hit 4.4ghz.

Next step is setting my Vcore down to 1.150 and seeing if 4.1ghz is stable. Then I'll go up from there, and raise the vcore/cpu depending on whether it is stable or not.

I just want to note, that these temps are based on synthetic benchmarks, which WE will never reach playing video games, ever. Playing games I average 60-70C tops. I will be testing new OCs and temps in games and keep you guys updated.

Yeah the heat is bad, but you can take solace in the fact that the sort of stress p95 puts on your processor exceeds what even video rendering software puts on it. If all you do is play games you certainly would never approach those temps.

Exactly what I said, and I wholeheartedly agree. It just sucks to see the temps hit that high, on such a good cooling rig.

Also I'm doing a good cooling configuration in my case. Front 200MM fan, and my H100i and the rear fan are exhausting all the heat. I'm getting the cool air to go through the H100i radiator.

Still it sucks to see the heat coming, at such a low clock and vcore setting.

People have reported as low as 4.1 and as high as 4.7. It really is a lottery. I'm still testing, and I hope I can at least hit 4.4ghz. Because when I tried 4.5 and 4.6 it was unstable or didn't even load up. 4.5 could get into windows, but the Vcore of 1.275 wasn't enough to run Prime95 - And attempting 1.3 vcore is just too much of a risk and potential degradation to the CPU.

Sorry, I'll rephrase that. What CPU did you have previously and did you run it under the same test? if so, what were the results? I'd also be curious to find out what temperatures you get under normal high load conditions, opposed to stress tests. As I doubt I would strain mine too much when I get it.

This is a new build. Prior to this my CPU was a Q6600. Also I answered the second portion of your question in the red text above. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom