• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Shouldn't there be a Sandy-E build in the old OP?

Do the other z77 Asrock boards have similar problem as extreme4? There's quite a few still in OP, mostly pro4in the lower budget builds.
Extreme 4 and Extreme 6 tmk only.

And SB-E is planned, I just don't know anything about it off the top of my head.
I have $150 to burn and I'm not sure if I should buy another HDD for video/pr0n, an H100i(I currently have Corsair A70) or I've always wanted one of these
31IYJt%2B5NiL.jpg
Get the blower.
Amazon has the 3570K for $196. Worth it at that price, or is there a good chance it'll go lower?
Get it, not going cheaper.
Or buy a used i7 for ~$200

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also did some practice today for kicks...
Damn things takes a ton of force to get off, seriously.

Phase 1: Why am I holding a wooden block and a hammer crouched next to a vice with a processor on it?
Phase 2: I almost hope this doesn't work so I won't try it on Ivy or Haswell
Phase 3: *tap *tap* *hard tap*
Phase 4: *whack*
Phase 5: *whack*
Phase 6: *Annoyed Whack*
Phase 7: Fucking, PoS. *Slam slam slam slam*
Phase 8: *SMACK SMACK SMACK SM- oh I think it's loose.

SUCCESS!
skrgpJ7.jpg

lH5Lin8.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It starts.

Now to get more fittings, two radiators, sleeving tools and sleeving, a pump, a reservoir and three prolimatech fans!

Mach-IV Style, motherf***er!

Phase 1: Why am I holding a wooden block and a hammer crouched next to a vice with a processor on it?

SUCCESS!
skrgpJ7.jpg

lH5Lin8.jpg

Brave man. I don't even have a vice to begin with. I would totally do that if I were rich though.

Instro

SUCCESS!

Just grab a jackhammer

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Brave man. I don't even have a vice to begin with. I would totally do that if I were rich though.
Vice method still seems to be 100%.

I saw another 3 people nick their CPUs today. Two killed traces so the chips only run in single channel memory, one of them cleared off 2 resistors and it's screwed. Not doing the razor / scalpel method.

ss_lemonade

Tigerdirect seems to have the evga 780 acx in stock, for those interested. I was able to secure one for myself, pretty exciting upgrade from my current hd4000 lol.

I'm surprised they still have them in stock when other sites like newegg get sold out in a few minutes.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tigerdirect seems to have the evga 780 acx in stock, for those interested. I was able to secure one for myself, pretty exciting upgrade from my current hd4000 lol.

I'm surprised they still have them in stock when other sites like newegg get sold out in a few minutes.
It's because TigerDirect lies about their inventory.
*Had them removed them from US sellers, removed them from Canada now too.

Nekrono

SUCCESS!
skrgpJ7.jpg

lH5Lin8.jpg

I'm sorry but what's going on here?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got my build ready tonight, turns out my PSU cable for CPU power isn't long enough, I need another SATA cable for my DVD drive and I didn't think through my case fans well enough. Ordered an 8pin extension cable, another SATA cable, a 3pin Y-split, and another 120 mm fan for front intake from Amazon, should be here Friday.

I should have done a better job checking if SATA cables came with my optical drive/HDD/SSD, because none of them did.

Also, my PSU has 2x 6+2 pin connectors on 1 cable, both labeled PCI-E. Is that for SLI/Crossfire, or can I plug both of them into my card since it has 2 8-pin sockets?

Nekrono

Hammering the internal heatspreader off the CPU die, trimming the rubber that is 0.06mm thick and replacing the thermal paste for a better mount and lower temperatures.
The one I did was practice for Ivy/Haswell to see how hard/dangerous it is ($5 AMD CPU).

tSg8BFu.gif

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2eFzNpTOaOw
Vid2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hu03beZlOjw#t=340s

Wow that was pretty cool! Also seems like something I would (probably) never dare to do.

Congrats on doing it without killing the CPU.

The temperature difference... how much are we talking here?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dafuq, does that mean there's a big chance I won't be getting anything anytime soon? T_T
It's possible it's in stock. I just doubt it really is. Overall bad experiences with both my orders from them.
Got my build ready tonight, turns out my PSU cable for CPU power isn't long enough, I need another SATA cable for my DVD drive and I didn't think through my case fans well enough. Ordered an 8pin extension cable, another SATA cable, a 3pin Y-split, and another 120 mm fan for front intake from Amazon, should be here Friday.

I should have done a better job checking if cables came with my optical drive/HDD/SSD, cause none of them came with SATA cables.

Also, my PSU has 2x 6+2 pin connectors on 1 cable, both labeled PCI-E. Is that for SLI/Crossfire, or can I plug both of them into my card since it has 2 8-pin sockets?
Not long enough to route back you mean? Even in a tall tower running on the back of the PCI-E slots it should reach.

SATA cables come with motherboards. Rest are usually (OEM) and have nothing but a bare drive. Sometimes Retail SSDs have a bracket.

Yup, just plug them in.
Wow that was pretty cool! Also seems like something I would (probably) never dare to do.

I dunno for the AMD chip since it was done on a whim.
For Ivy/Haswell with good TIM it's common to see 15-25C drops.

mkenyon

Banned

For haswell/ivy? Significant, but it depends on the load. Anywhere from 10-50C+ difference.

Not long enough to route back you mean? Even in a tall tower running on the back of the PCI-E slots it should reach.

Won't reach if I run it inside over my GPU or out of the grommets on the side and back in up at the top. It might work if i cut the zip tie that groups the non modular cables as they come out of the PSU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
it's a bummer because i am contemplating making an enhanced-enthusiast haswell build for my first gaming rig in years
Saving $60 by going Ivy, or spending $60 more and going LGA2011 are both viable.
Going to need another upgrade when the new chips come out anyway after this round, so whatever.
Won't reach if I run it inside over my GPU or out of the grommets on the side and back in up at the top. It might work if i cut the zip tie that groups the non modular cables as they come out of the PSU.
Cut the ziptie and run it UNDER the GPU.

CwNm4MW.png

Smokey

Just installed an MSI Lightning 7970 on my test bench. My BenQ XL2420T felt like total crap, my eyes felt like they were getting urinated on.

Turns out, there's no dual link DVI connectors on the 7970 Lightning. VADERNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Still have S23A750D, but man. 60Hz looks even worse when it's next to 120Hz glory.

Also, this Lightning is way more quiet than the DCII cooler at idle. We'll see what happens when I'm in game, but idle is the only time I'm really bothered, since that's when I dont have my headphones on.

DEALWITIT

scogoth spreading his devil fairy dust to the rest of pc-gaf

I decided to upgrade my PC. The microcenter sale on the Core i7 3770K was to good to pass up plus I already have a buyer for my old computer after I order the few parts that I will need to make it a fully working computer again, and I wanted some of the modern things like USB 3.0 and UEFI anyway.

I currently have:

1st gen Core i7 with a slight overclock
8GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce 660Ti
1.5TB Western Digital Black HDD

I am going to keep my GeForce 660Ti for now, maybe in a couple years I will upgrade that. as well as my 1.5TB Western Digital Black HDD. at some point I will get a SSD but im going to hold off for now

I wanted to build a small computer so I went the mini-ITX route, when all said and done it will have:

Core i7 3770K - $230
ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe - $176
Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz - $116.99
LIAN LI PC-TU200B - $169
Geforce 660Ti - already have
Western Digital 1.5TB Black HDD - already have
LG dvd/blu-ray burner - already have

the case is kind of expensive but I think its one of the cooler looking Mini-ITX cases that I've seen and i think i'll be happy with it, here is a pic of it:

So anyway I have a question about the CPU cooler, I would like to be able to do some overclocking although it doesn't need to be anything to dramatic, and I would like the cooler to be as quiet as possible.

The Cooler Master GeminII mentioned in the OP looks like a nice low profile cooler but I cannot tell if it will be small enough for the case and mITX board that I'm using. The Ram I ordered is low profile RAM so I don't think it will be an issue there.

Another one I was looking at is the Noctua NH-L9i 95mm SSO2 CPU Cooler

The reviews on that one basically say its good quality and very quiet however it doesn't seem to actually cool any better than the stock intel cooler does so I will probably skip on that one, I would like something that actually does a better job than the stock intel cooler.

Any suggestions?

Fredescu

Saving $60 by going Ivy, or spending $60 more and going LGA2011 are both viable.

Do you mean the 3820? The 3930K is like $300 more than the 4770k here. Is a 3820 worth forgoing overclocking for? I hadn't considered that path, but with those new mATX cases, an mATX 2011 build sounds interesting.

kennah

Do you mean the 3820? The 3930K is like $300 more than the 4770k here. Is a 3820 worth forgoing overclocking for? I hadn't considered that path, but with those new mATX cases, an mATX 2011 build sounds interesting.

You can still overclock a 3820. Will do 4.4 easily.

Instro

Went ahead with my purchase today, exciting times. Although I have to admit, I hate that feeling of money being sucked out of you from a big purchase. 2 grand after everything in this case.

Ok, so I built my rig, I love it, but it it a bit noisy. its fine for me, mind you, but the Mrs complains if I leave it on all night, which I need to do for various reasons. I have the NZXT switch 810 case which came with four 140 mm fans. All of those fans are 3 pin fans and connected to one central input block which is powered by a four pin molex connector.

I bought an extra Bitfenix 140 mm fan which is connected with a four pin PWM connection. That is connected direct to my motherboard which is a MSI Mpower z77 with four, PWM/four pin inputs.

Now I am kind of a newb at this stuff so i hope I dont sound like an idiot so here it goes.

So the 3 pin fans powered by the molex connection, they are running at 100% all the time is that correct?

My goal is to make the thing as silent as possible, so at night if I am just torrenting you cant really hear it. I looked into fan controllers but I am not sure why I would need one. Most of them are 3 pin inputs, and then regulated by their own temperature connections you can connect in your computer or they are strictly manual control.

I have seen a couple with a PWM output so you can use the PWM features on your MOBO but the only really good one I found (Rheosmart), only has 3 pin inputs.

Anything that is just manual control is out because my wife uses the computer when i am not around and I dont trust her to remember to change the fan speed. That leaves something automatic whether fan control plus temperature gauges, fan control plus PWM or just PWM.

Personally I would rather change out my four 3 pin fans for four PWM fans, and then plug all five into my system via PWM using at least 1 PWM splitter. Then i can just use the automatic fan control offered by MSI.

Does that make sense and does anyone have any recommendations?

In general, with 140mm fans, you should be golden, but really it all depends on what fans they are (brand, quality, rpm). You may just have loud fans. Unfortunately, nice, quiet fans are expensive. And yes, I'm pretty sure if it's powered by a molex it's at full rpm (not that that's bad. Again, depends on the fan.)

I'd agree with mkenyon that you need to take that stock cpu cooler out. Those things are whiny and loud. The reference 680 coolers aren't the greatest either, but at night, at idle, it shouldn't be noticeable.

I would disagree that you need automatic control of your fans. All of my fans (120mm's) are on a fan controller. I set each fan to the maximum rpm that I want to tolerate (and my tolerance for noise is pretty low) and leave it. Temps are fine. And as you can see from my picture above I don't run a cpu fan. I haven't for years. I've found that anything I plug into a pwm is too loud for me.

So first get rid of that Intel cooler. Then either buy a fan controller to tame your 140's, or buy some quality, low-rpm versions. And if it isn't done already, clean up your cables to promote better airflow.

That is in fact the proper response to seeing an exposed cpu on top of a block of wood with a sludge hammer laying next to it.

Dang. Shoulda got someone to pick one up for me, though 250 is still 120 cheaper than anywhere in Canada.

My experience with watching their SB prices is that they will offer them lower again when they are trying to clear out the last of their stock. Pretty sure that the 2500k got down to like $150 at the end. Course who knows with this since Ivy may still be in demand.

Tak3n

Banned
hey guys

thinking instead of going Haswell, I can get a i7 3 series K chip for the same price as the i5 4th series..

if I get a i7k are they easy to overclock? also do I need a special MB as well?

Addnan

hey guys

thinking instead of going Haswell, I can get a i7 3 series K chip for the same price as the i5 4th series..

if I get a i7k are they easy to overclock? also do I need a special MB as well?
Yes, you will need a Z77 board to overclock an Ivy Bridge. What's your budget for it? MSI Z77 GD55 or 65 are well priced and are good boards.

Tak3n

Banned
Yes, you will need a Z77 board to overclock an Ivy Bridge. What's your budget for it? MSI Z77 GD55 or 65 are well priced and are good boards.

Thx how is this (I have my own 660ti)

Customizations:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
£221.80
CPU Cooler: NEW! Xigmatek Dark Knight Nighthawk SD1283
£34.99
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
£73.89
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-HD3
Memory: NEW! 8GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
£44.50
Hard Drive: NEW! Plextor 128GB M5S SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
£43.80
Additional Storage: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
£54.69
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: Onboard Video
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
£60.10
PSU: NEW! 650W Corsair VS
Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty
Product Subtotal:

£808.20

Addnan

Thx how is this (I have my own 660ti)

Customizations:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
£221.80
CPU Cooler: NEW! Xigmatek Dark Knight Nighthawk SD1283
£34.99
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
£73.89
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-HD3
Memory: NEW! 8GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)
£44.50
Hard Drive: NEW! Plextor 128GB M5S SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
£43.80
Additional Storage: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
£54.69
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: Onboard Video
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
£60.10
PSU: NEW! 650W Corsair VS
Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty
Product Subtotal:

£808.20
I can't seem to find any real reviews for that motherboard. What other options are there.

Are there any 1600mhz ram for cheaper? The 2133 will work fine, but if you can save a bit getting 1600 go for that.

Uthred

Slightly tangential, anyone have any tips on getting a streak free clean on a U2412M? been using filtered water with a microfibre cloth but if I look at it in sunlight I can see the streaks/drying pattern.

Tak3n

Banned
I can't seem to find any real reviews for that motherboard. What other options are there.

Are there any 1600mhz ram for cheaper? The 2133 will work fine, but if you can save a bit getting 1600 go for that.

thx mate

here are my options, I can also drop the ram for a saving of £8

also just spoke to the helpful guys at Dino PC and they said they will overclock for free for me :)

Gigabyte Z77-HD3

Gigabyte Z77-D3H

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V (this looking at reviews vs price. seems to be a good one?)

Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Asus ROG Maximus V Formula

Addnan

thx mate

here are my options, I can also drop the ram for a saving of £8

also just spoke to the helpful guys at Dino PC and they said they will overclock for free for me :)

Gigabyte Z77-HD3

Gigabyte Z77-D3H

Gigabyte Z77X-D3H

Asus P8Z77-V

Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Asus ROG Maximus V Formula
The Z77X-D3H and the UD3H are both decent boards at what should be a reasonable price. I would get one of those, overclocking seems to be pretty reliable on those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom