• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Just noticed the power supply, any other ones? its a pretty low level power supply. Is the Corsair TX there, or something else?

here are my choices (though the bottom 4 are silly expensive)

500W PSU
NEW! 450W Corsair VS
NEW! 550W Corsair VS
NEW! 650W Corsair VS
600W Corsair CX
650W Corsair TX V2
650W Corsair TX Modular
850W Corsair TX V2
850W Corsair HX Modular
1050W Corsair HX Modular
1200W Corsair AX Professional Series Gold

I am guessing you will recmmend the modular one as they seem popular on here, which is a £40 increase

Addnan

If you can fit the 650 TX you should go for that, need a realisable PSU. The VS is pretty entry level and the CX isn't that much better.

You can go for the modular, makes life easier, but the normal version will also be a lot better than the VS and CX.

Tak3n

Banned
If you can fit the 650 TX you should go for that, need a realisable PSU. The VS is pretty entry level and the CX isn't that much better.

You can go for the modular, makes life easier, but the normal version will also be a lot better than the VS and CX.

thx mate, you have been a great help

Bleepey

Is it possible to build a competent pc for about £200 using a mix of old and new parts. I don't wanna do anything too crazy with it, just enough so that it can play a modern game like Crisis at 30 fps and not look like dog shit. I know nothing about building pcs but a friend of mine can help.

Ken

So I'll be making a PC late July and am thinking of just making Hazaro's $828 Great build with GTX 660. It's good enough for current gen and light Photoshopping (just simple painting/illustration on 8x11 300 dpi settings at 1080p) right? I don't know how much next gen high-end games I'll play besides F2P games/MOBAs so I don't need something super powerful for the next coming years.

StaSeb

I am following this thread for a while - just out of curiosity and because I love theorycrafting systems, as weird as that sounds. And I am quite surprised, how focused you guys are on Intels i-CPUs.

What about AMDs eight-core-FX-CPUs? Sure, they produce a whopping TDP of 125W, but with a proper cooler and airflow-concept this is very much managable - even in a reasonably silent system.

Those CPUs are affordable and seem to be quite close to the CPU-part of PS4 and XBone. I imagine the FX-line, as true eight-core-CPUs, to be very capable when it comes to multiplatform-releases in the future and think, they offer more than enough horsepower for any task in the coming years. And didn’t the Witcher-Devs even comment something in the same lines? So please, give AMD some love!

But I have to admit: I am very biased. AMD created a lot of jobs near my hometown and I am running those CPUs since the good old AMD K6-2. Good old times... Trespasser and that rubber-arm, 3D Now! and shit like that. Those were the days!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Need some help:

Just set up my new TP-Link AV500 ethernet-over-power adaptors but my computer doesn't seem to recognise I have ethernet at all.

The adaptors are working fine (the LED lights are giving me the right signals) and where I have it plugged in to the RJ-45 LAN port on my motherboard (Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3) it's also giving me the correct colour lights that are blinking to say data is being transmitted.

My PC under the Networks section (Win 7) only sees my wi-fi and blutooth but no ethernet?

What's going on?

kharma45

Is it possible to build a competent pc for about £200 using a mix of old and new parts. I don't wanna do anything too crazy with it, just enough so that it can play a modern game like Crisis at 30 fps and not look like dog shit. I know nothing about building pcs but a friend of mine can help.

You'd be pushed very hard to do it. It would have to be a lot of used parts.

for going all new you'd only be getting something like this

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (£46.40 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard (£38.06 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£20.03 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.10 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£28.63 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £209.21

I second that he should stay away from the CX unless money is an issue.

Slightly tangential, anyone have any tips on getting a streak free clean on a U2412M? been using filtered water with a microfibre cloth but if I look at it in sunlight I can see the streaks/drying pattern.

Yeah. I use about a 50-60% isopropyl solution to clean my screens. Works pretty good.

knitoe

Need some help:

Just set up my new TP-Link AV500 ethernet-over-power adaptors but my computer doesn't seem to recognise I have ethernet at all.

The adaptors are working fine (the LED lights are giving me the right signals) and where I have it plugged in to the RJ-45 LAN port on my motherboard (Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3) it's also giving me the correct colour lights that are blinking to say data is being transmitted.

My PC under the Networks section (Win 7) only sees my wi-fi and blutooth but no ethernet?

What's going on?

Try a different Ethernet cable. Reinstall the ethernet network drivers.

ombz

So I installed a new haswell processor and motherboard yesterday but after I was done installing everything the computer won't stay on. It flickers on and off. I've used the power supply for about a year and a half and its worked fine so I don't think that's the problem. I tried just isolating each stick of ram with no luck.
Do you think the motherboard could be defective?

Dat Lian Li.

+respect

Thanks. But lately I've kinda been feeling the desire to get a new case. This Lian Li build is almost 5 years old now, and I've done a couple other builds since then, and I really like some of the innovations in these newer cases. Plus it would be really nice to have front USB 3.0. Of course this Lian Li works perfectly fine and I totally don't need a new case, but sometimes when you get that itch the only thing you can do is scratch it.

I've been eyeing that Corsair 550D. Not as classy as a Lian Li, but sexy in its own right. And the ability to add in 6 140mm fans makes me kinda horny.

So I installed a new haswell processor and motherboard yesterday but after I was done installing everything the computer won't stay on. It flickers on and off. I've used the power supply for about a year and a half and its worked fine so I don't think that's the problem. I tried just isolating each stick of ram with no luck.
Do you think the motherboard could be defective?

It flickers? You mean the computer itself won't stay on, or the monitor?

Candeez

Got the Dell u2713hm today, wow. Big upgrade from the Samsung T240HD. Image quality is crisp, colors pop out, details are sharp. 2560x1440 gaming on the GTX 780 is amazing!

Here's Remember Me (my photo taking skill doesn't do the monitor justice...):

vWWHgYr.jpg

Even the Dell 2005FPW in portrait mode looks small next to it.

Tomas

Banned
You'd be pushed very hard to do it. It would have to be a lot of used parts.

for going all new you'd only be getting something like this

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/13ygT/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor (£46.40 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Biostar A55MD2 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard (£38.06 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£20.03 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.10 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£28.63 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £209.21

I believe he should list the current machine he has. I am 99% sure he can salvage at least HDD and Case from it, perhaps PSU aswell. That might leave enough room to get higher tier APU and perhaps 8GB of memory (I paid just a little over 50 GBP for 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix, it was 2 8GB kits and was about 26GBP per kit)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Try a different Ethernet cable. Reinstall the ethernet network drivers.

I tried downloading the LAN driver from Gigabyte's site but when I run the excutable it extracts the package but nothing happens and it seems like nothing has been extracted.

Aaaargh, this is driving me insane!

Right, I'm running Batman: AC on a 3570K with a 7950, should I be expecting a solid 60 FPS with everything turned up? I'm getting some really horrible frame rate drops :/

Dave_6

Right, I'm running Batman: AC on a 3570K with a 7950, should I be expecting a solid 60 FPS with everything turned up? I'm getting some really horrible frame rate drops :/

The demo runs like shit even on my 7970, well at least if I'm outside in the city. Seems ok indoors.

bro1

Banned
The computer itself flickers on and off. My case doesn't need mounting screws so there shouldn't be metal touching(I guess I should check again though)

Your mobo has built in standoffs like the Corsair Carbride 300? or did you already have standoffs from your old mobo installed?

Skadoosh

Neo Member
The Sandisk is a faster and uses better NAND which should last longer. The big negative is it's using a Sandforce controller. Although I never have issue using 3 SSD with Sandforce controllers, many people do. I have since moved on to all Samsung SSD, raid 128GB 830 and raid 250GB 840. No issues so far.

OK! The SanDisk Extreme II SSD which is available on the market with a few modifications focused on the use of NAND memory to 19 nanometers produced by SanDisk, of course the controller, opting for a Marvell 88SS9187 instead of SandForce SF-2881 has given so much joy in the previous generation of SSDs with SF controllers.

Salaadin

Build went well yesterday aside from a sick cat delaying me about 3 hours. Im not entirely confident about the 212 EVO being seated properly but I didnt have time to test it. Temps were 39C according to the BIOS but Ill test it more tonight once I get Windows installed.

MSIs mouse controlled BIOS is the greatest thing ever. It was already set to AHCI too so I didnt have to do a thing.

The Fractal R4 is a great case too. So roomy and so good for cable management. Ill tie everything down tonight once Im sure its all working properly.

One question: In the past, I was told that DVD drives dont work properly on AHCI. Is this true?

Willectro

Banned
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i
Motherboard - Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage - Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case - Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop
Power Supply - Corsair 760W ATX12V / EPS12V
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Keyboard - Ducky DK9087S2 Shine II
120mm Blue Led Fan

I'll be assembling most of it tonight, but the video card may not arrive until tomorrow. I will post pics when finished.

Assembled. Runs Crysis 3, Planetside 2 and ARMA3 easily. Temps are below average. Now I just need to clean up the wiring and grab 2 80mm fans.

Thanks for the guidance.

scogoth

Build went well yesterday aside from a sick cat delaying me about 3 hours. Im not entirely confident about the 212 EVO being seated properly but I didnt have time to test it. Temps were 39C according to the BIOS but Ill test it more tonight once I get Windows installed.

MSIs mouse controlled BIOS is the greatest thing ever. It was already set to AHCI too so I didnt have to do a thing.

The Fractal R4 is a great case too. So roomy and so good for cable management. Ill tie everything down tonight once Im sure its all working properly.

One question: In the past, I was told that DVD drives dont work properly on AHCI. Is this true?

It once was true for the very first round of DVD drives. Unless you have an absolute ancient DVD drive you are fine.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Fuck, fuck, fuck, why can't I get this to work?

I plugged in the ethernet-over-power device into my wife's Mac Mini and it worked straight away. So now I know for certain that at least the items work.

Where do I find on my PC to update the driver for my ethernet?

It's fucking insane that Windows doesn't seem to think LAN exists on my PC.

Fuck!

scogoth

Fuck, fuck, fuck, why can't I get this to work?

I plugged in the ethernet-over-power device into my wife's Mac Mini and it worked straight away. So now I know for certain that at least the items work.

Where do I find on my PC to update the driver for my ethernet?

It's fucking insane that Windows doesn't seem to think LAN exists on my PC.

Fuck!

Go into to device manager and look for your Enthernet device, it should have a yellow ! on it. Right click and update device driver. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software. Point it to where you downloaded the drivers and let it do its thing. Restart for good measure and try plugging it in again.

ss_lemonade

It's possible it's in stock. I just doubt it really is. Overall bad experiences with both my orders from them.
You're right, just woke up to find my order in backorder status. The item also shows up as OOS now. Man, now that was really crappy of them.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Go into to device manager and look for your Enthernet device, it should have a yellow ! on it. Right click and update device driver. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software. Point it to where you downloaded the drivers and let it do its thing. Restart for good measure and try plugging it in again.

That didn't work but I found my set-up disc for my motherboard and installed the driver from there and that seems to work now.

Problem is, I'm not sure if it's connected properly because when I select "connect to broadband network" it appears to ask for a username and password which I ignore and just press connect but then I get an error. However, it still connects to the net but I'm d/l a game from Steam to test it and it's not really d/l at all.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I just realized there is only one fan in the define r4 and I only ordered a corsair H60 for the cpu.

Damn, I really wanted to build this tomorrow.

scogoth

That didn't work but I found my set-up disc for my motherboard and installed the driver from there and that seems to work now.

Problem is, I'm not sure if it's connected properly because when I select "connect to broadband network" it appears to ask for a username and password which I ignore and just press connect but then I get an error. However, it still connects to the net but I'm d/l a game from Steam to test it and it's not really d/l at all.

Were you using the set up a new connection or network wizard? You shouldn't need that, just plug it in and you are ready to go. If you can't access the internet then open command prompt and type the following command and post the results
Code:
ipconfig /all

I need a new desktop computer. I'm from the UK. I'm looking to spend around £400-£550. I have absolutely no idea how to build a PC so that's out of the question. Will I be able to play modern PC games at a reasonable level in that budget range? More concerned about higher framerates than eye candy. I'm repeatedly envious of PC gamers when I see Steam prices and I want a piece of it.

I also want to do all the usual on it, surf the web, MS office, store a load of music, watch HD streams.

Is there a site where you can select different pieces to sort of 'Frankenstein' your PC purchase, weighing the price of different parts and customising to your liking? I feel like if I buy a pre-packaged build from PC World it'll be less than optimal for the price.

Any advice will be very much appreciated GAF. Thanks.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Were you using the set up a new connection or network wizard? You shouldn't need that, just plug it in and you are ready to go. If you can't access the internet then open command prompt and type the following command and post the results
Code:
ipconfig /all

I can access the net fine and streaming 1080p video via Crunchyroll seems pretty good whereas I couldn't do it before. Steam just seems slow. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom