• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help?

I've been building a new PC - the first one in 5 years - and I can't seem to get it to boot.

I'm fairly certain I've managed to get a bad motherboard or CPU, but I thought I'd bring the problem here before I start trying to return parts to Amazon and/or Newegg.

The system build is here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/113YB

Using a case that I picked up a year and a half ago for this project (hard drive prices sucked 'k?)

I installed the power supply and motherboard into the case, installed the cpu into the motherboard w/included CPU fan, installed the ram.

I took this as a good point to see how far I was getting.

I plugged the on-board HDMI into my TV, and pressed the power button. Fans started spinning up, but no beep and no video out.

I decided that HDMI might be too fancy for first boot, and switched over to VGA. Same result. I then tried a different monitor with VGA. Same result.

I've now tried the ram in two different sets of slots, as well as each stick individually, and with no RAM at all. All the same results.

Am I missing something here?

Do I just have bad newegg karma?

I got a question although its probably been asked before but I kind of want an answer customized to my situation. I have Two 1 TB HDDs that I want to use Raid. I see online that for gaming going Raid 0 will be the best performance but I have had my fair share of issues with HDDs over the years failing and such so I am not sure I am comfortable with having no redundancy and such but so I really like Raid 1. As far gaming will my performance suffer so bad that it will be noticeable if I went Raid 1? What is the common Raid setup for you guys as far as your gaming rigs? Finally is there any settings in Windows that I should go with as far as HDD power management and such to preserve my HDDs if I went with Raid 0?

One other thing before its asked I am using the BitFenix Prodigy so I can only fit 2 HDDs.

Back up your data externally or in the cloud. Raid 0 is worth it. Even better with SSDs.

Just installed my first SSD.

ibe7FqWtx5Jbf.jpg

Holy shit!

tjqf0vc.gif

nbthedude

Help?

I've been building a new PC - the first one in 5 years - and I can't seem to get it to boot.

I'm fairly certain I've managed to get a bad motherboard or CPU, but I thought I'd bring the problem here before I start trying to return parts to Amazon and/or Newegg.

The system build is here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/113YB

Using a case that I picked up a year and a half ago for this project (hard drive prices sucked 'k?)

I installed the power supply and motherboard into the case, installed the cpu into the motherboard w/included CPU fan, installed the ram.

I took this as a good point to see how far I was getting.

I plugged the on-board HDMI into my TV, and pressed the power button. Fans started spinning up, but no beep and no video out.

I decided that HDMI might be too fancy for first boot, and switched over to VGA. Same result. I then tried a different monitor with VGA. Same result.

I've now tried the ram in two different sets of slots, as well as each stick individually, and with no RAM at all. All the same results.

Am I missing something here?

Do I just have bad newegg karma?

Are you positive you plugged up ALL the power connectors on the motherboard? Many have three or even four power connectors now. Make sure you have all them. What you are describing is exactly what happened to mine when I didnt have one of the small 4 pin ones plugged in.

wooooo!!!

I got everything put together and I'm installing Win8 now!

So excited! Its getting late but I'm going to hold out another hour so I can play Bioshock Infinite or Crysis 3 or something after I install my drivers.

In all, the most difficult time I had was managing the cables. The the power cables for the hard drives and disk drives didn't line up with the case I have at all, luckily I was able to work around and get them plugged in, but I don't like how tight they are. Also the smaller motherboard power cable was too short to run through the back of the case to the top left corner, so its just running right past the CPU cooler. I'll need to buy extensions for both so I can put my mind at ease.

Sothpaw

Ok just finished putting together my first pc and turned it on. The machine turns on, all fans are running and everything is lit up. DVD drive opens and closes.

Problem is, I get no display. There are two LED lights on my mobo labeled POST1 and POST2. Both of them only show 0. I believe that they are supposed to display a series of numbers as the machine boots up.

The graphics card is lit up and its fans are running so I don't think that's the problem. Is my cpu not properly hooked up perhaps? I followed several guides closely and think there should be no issue, but I feel like the cpu isn't doing anything.

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

HoosTrax

Ok just finished putting together my first pc and turned it on. The machine turns on, all fans are running and everything is lit up. DVD drive opens and closes.

Problem is, I get no display. There are two LED lights on my mobo labeled POST1 and POST2. Both of them only show 0. I believe that they are supposed to display a series of numbers as the machine boots up.

The graphics card is lit up and its fans are running so I don't think that's the problem. Is my cpu not properly hooked up perhaps? I followed several guides closely and think there should be no issue, but I feel like the cpu isn't doing anything.

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng
Are the power cable(s) to the video card plugged in?

scogoth

Ii'm drunk at my birthday party telling everyine about the xompaxt splash
No way!!! I'm drunk too! Cept it's not my birthday, I just drank cause that's what happens. Happy birthday!!! I would drink to your health but I already had too much.... Maybe I can count to 7 gin and tonics as a toast!

Are you positive you plugged up ALL the power connectors on the motherboard? Many have three or even four power connectors now. Make sure you have all them. What you are describing is exactly what happened to mine when I didnt have one of the small 4 pin ones plugged in.

Solved!

Somehow missed the extra 12v power connector on the motherboard. I swear I looked for it three times earlier before concluding that it must not be there. Go figure. Getting to Bios now. Just a matter of getting unraid running and some drives installed!

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

scogoth

I'm drunk too. And considering I'm in the PC thread, I can only assume you gentleman have only the utmost taste in libations. Then may I suggest one of the finest wines I know - a wine so fine that only the criminals in Australia can achieve.

inkberry_bottle_shiraz_cab.jpg

I've also been watching like 2000 video reviews of cases tongiht, and I've come to the conclusion that, yes, the Fractal R4 is like the perfect case. My wants and desires have ebbed and flowed as I watch all of these reviews, and somehow my heart always finds its way back to the R4. The latest love affair, a bottom mounted fan. FUCK YES PEOPLE. Direct air upward right onto the graphics card and get the flow moving towards the blow holes lololl blow......

dont ban me

/not so stealth brag

I drank this

In computer news I got my new atx extraction took! But I won't be able to work until next Thursday =(

mkenyon

Banned
I'm looking for a new monitor and in the OP it says that the ASUS VG23AH has "the best 60hz performance on the market."

What exactly does that mean? How is it better than a normal 60 hz monitor?
It means it looks good when there is motion on screen.
So what's the best Haswell motherboard? The Gigabyte MSniper?
In what price category, and what features are you looking for?

But, we won't really know for another month or so. There's bound to be some of them that end up being duds.

The ones in the OP are my initial picks.
Ugh... 53$ shipped for three Prolimatech blue fans. Worth it?
If you want to get into enthusiast water cooling, you need to never ask yourself this question.
I'm drunk too. And considering I'm in the PC thread, I can only assume you gentleman have only the utmost taste in libations. Then may I suggest one of the finest wines I know - a wine so fine that only the criminals in Australia can achieve.

I've also been watching like 2000 video reviews of cases tongiht, and I've come to the conclusion that, yes, the Fractal R4 is like the perfect case. My wants and desires have ebbed and flowed as I watch all of these reviews, and somehow my heart always finds its way back to the R4. The latest love affair, a bottom mounted fan. FUCK YES PEOPLE. Direct air upward right onto the graphics card and get the flow moving towards the blow holes lololl blow......

dont ban me
I'm very glad you've seen the light! I honestly don't think there's a better case under $200. (outside of SFF and water cooling specific needs)

Also... wine?

(my old setup)

Whiskey belongs in the PC Thread.
That was fast. I will send you a bottle of whiskey, this time with the right postal code
*brofist*

nbthedude

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

If you already made sure all power connectors on the motherboard are connected and all ground screws are in then first try taking out the videocard and plugging your monitor straight to the motherboard (on board video) and see if you get an image that way.

Sothpaw

If you already made sure all power connectors on the motherboard are connected and all ground screws are in then first try taking out the videocard and plugging your monitor straight to the motherboard (on board video) and see if you get an image that way.

Ok thanks. Gotta head to bed and will try in the morning.

kharma45

Also... wine?

(my old setup)

Whiskey belongs in the PC Thread.

*brofist*

I spy Jameson, good man. My whiskey of choice although I'm giving Bushmills a chance now too.

Can't beat a nice wine either though, had this yesterday and it was pretty nice

IMG_0002-280x373.jpg

Anyway, I digress.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! This thread is so great.

I guess I still don't understand the reluctance of going with Haswell

Don't want to wait around another month or two for motherboards to shake out.

Since I assume you live next to a Microcenter[/QUOTE]

Why... do you assume that? I looked it up, the only one in California is in SoCal.

But isn't Broadwell going to use 1150 as well?

I never really get the "live socket" thing because I try to get three years out of a CPU. If I'm buying again in 2016 we'll probably be on the next socket anyway.

If I had to buy HDD's I buy Samsung F4 used... and probably a WD Green 2TB.

So should I just go to the WD Green 2TB then? I got the 256 for an SSD so I'm really just gonna use it for media storage and such....

I hope your new setup still includes that poster!

( '' )b

So many people building computers in here last night. We need pics.

Mine is up and running. Built out my array. Just three disks so far, but 5.5TB is an improvement over what I had before:

shfs 5.5T 3.0G 5.5T 1% /mnt/user

I have 10 drive slots that I can eventually fille - although, I will probably stay at 7 or 8 for the time being.

Pictures to come.

knitoe

So should I just go to the WD Green 2TB then? I got the 256 for an SSD so I'm really just gonna use it for media storage and such....
Do not buy a WD Green HDD. Mine failed and I barely used it since it was just my backup storage drive. If you look at the user reviews, they seem to have a very high failure rate. And, even, when it was working, performance was crap.

knitoe

What is a good low patter storage drive then?

After Samsung left, HDD quality seems to be luck of the draw. Doesn't seem to be any "safe" drives. Personally, I am trying the 1TB platter Seagate 3TB(games & storage) and 2TB(backup) drives. Their high performance/low price was worth taking a chance. The big negative is they only have 2 year warranty. I don't RMA my drives because I don't want people having access to my personal data. Thus, warranty length doesn't matter much to me, but if it does to you, you might want to look elsewhere.

demented

Guys I have a problem with my 7970:

Ever since I built this PC I've been having random flickers. It lasts less than a second so it's hard to capture but it's basically like white with some lines, usually not even all over screen and it happens fast. Like this at 0:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amSM8GxSyA
It comes and goes, sometimes takes hours or not at all in days, sometimes few in a row and I thought oh well and haven't been trying to fix it until this happened:

Sound and everything in background worked and I couldn't see or get out from this.
I am running latest drivers and catalyst and also have latest MSI afterburner installed with fan curve set at 1c=1% after 20c, but should note it also happened on last 2 versions of drivers.

What I've done is disconnected DVI cable and on HDMI now, I think flicker happened once, not sure because it happens fast, but been waiting and nothing so far. But if it did happen it's one of 3 things: graphics card is bad, graphics card interaction with monitor is bad, monitor is bad. Last one I don't think so because I play 360 and ps3 on it and no problems there. And if it happens on HDMI again then it's not cable either..

I've been suggested to RMA card but I want to be 100% sure what's the problem because me RMAing it involves traveling 12 hours and paying 50e for train ticket to give them the card, then if they don't give me new one right away(probably not) going back, then waiting x days while using onboard card and then traveling back again 12 hours x2 and paying 50e.... or begging some friend to pick it up and send it via bus or something.

Tak3n

Banned
anyone who reading my previous posts will know I wanted to buy a overclocked i5 in a fractual r4 case,

however computerplantet.co.uk are saying the case is not suitable for a OC processor...

but if I pay £60 they can do it....

here is their reply

Karl Hi, I am interested in buying a custom PC but I have a question
you have listed a fractual R4 case, but that case gets shaded out when I choose a overclocked processor?
I have checked various forums and all concur the case is suitable for a overclocked processor

9:35 am DavidThe R4 is designed to be a case for low noise so the air flow is not that great. We have had issues using it for overclocking and blocked it for that reason.
We like 0 returns so we prefer to be safe than sending out a system which may over heat.

9:36 am Karl ok, but what I dont understand is if I buy a stock haswell (which runs very hot) you can select that case, then select the overclocking option at the end for £60

9:37 am the same with a i5 or i7

9:37 am DavidThat is correct. That service costs 3 times more than buying a pre overclocked CPU so other parts of the case maybe upgraded or the overclocking level will be lower than a pre overclocked CPU where it's sold at 4.6 GHZ.

DavidAlso we do not state what the clock speed would be with that service.

so in summary (correct me if you think I am wrong)

they can do it for £60 as I presume they will add extra fans etc, but wont do it with a stock processor as they dont check air flow

demented

I'll keep testing until 21st, going to Serbia then and might be able to RMA while there but gonna figure out what's wrong first.
P.S. I get no artifacts or anything weird in games. MY card is 2 months old or less and I've been barely playing stuff but no other issues whatsoever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do not buy a WD Green HDD. Mine failed and I barely used it since it was just my backup storage drive. If you look at the user reviews, they seem to have a very high failure rate. And, even, when it was working, performance was crap.
The reviews on anything 2TB or larger is complete shit. Until someone posts concrete data, all I have to go on is general impressions, and review ratings (while guessing at volume sold).
Seagate rubs me the wrong way since they cut their warranties and sold 'Samsung' drives that were actually Seagate Greens which are trash.
I've avoided 2TB Greens in the past for the reasons you said, but it's either that or Seagate 2TB (Or chance a Toshiba).

Samsung needs to come back, I'd easily pay a premium for a not shit HDD.
Guys I have a problem with my 7970:
Your GPU is fried.
anyone who reading my previous posts will know I wanted to buy a overclocked i5 in a fractual r4 case,
however computerplantet.co.uk are saying the case is not suitable for a OC processor...

9:37 am DavidThat is correct. That service costs 3 times more than buying a pre overclocked CPU so other parts of the case maybe upgraded or the overclocking level will be lower than a pre overclocked CPU where it's sold at 4.6 GHZ.
DavidAlso we do not state what the clock speed would be with that service.

they can do it for £60 as I presume they will add extra fans etc, but wont do it with a stock processor as they dont check air flow
They don't know what they are talking about and are trying to cover their asses.

1) Haswell won't do 4.6Ghz on whatever setup they have because it looks like half don't reach that speed stable period, let alone at temps under 80C with a water unit. It'll just throttle at 100C if the person putting it together even gives it above 1.25V
2) The 4.6Ghz is from Ivy testing, and even that is high
3) Just get your parts from them and do it your self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom