• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
What accessories would you recommend for pc gaming? I have the urge to splurge but my pc doesn't really need any new parts yet(3570k, gtx670, have Samsung ssd). I have Logitech G930 Headphones, naga mouse, gaming mousepad, Xbox controller. My keyboard is shit so maybe that should be upgraded.

Any recommendations for keyboards or anything else in general?
OP has the best stuff available right now.

Definitely upgrade that mouse and keyboard.

After hearing about the X1 news, this thread is going to be my best friend.

Currently I have:

i7-920 stock
gtx 570
8gb ddr3
750w - NOT modular :(
128 SSD
1 tb HDD

I'm debating on building a new rig - or just getting another graphics card (maybe a used 6 series) until intels and nvidias next gen stuff comes out.

also, i wanted to wait for ddr4 - but don't know much on that.

feedback?

Sothpaw

Reposting for the day crowd. Really sucks having done all that work and research only to have the thing not work. I am probably going to take it to the local computer repair guy at this point:

Ok just finished putting together my first pc and turned it on. The machine turns on, all fans are running and everything is lit up. DVD drive opens and closes.

Problem is, I get no display. Also it doesn't sound like the pc is booting up at all. I don't think the cpu is doing anything. There are two LED lights on my mobo labeled POST1 and POST2. Both of them only show 0. I believe that they are supposed to display a series of numbers as the machine boots up.

The graphics card is lit up and its fans are running so I don't think that's the problem. Is my cpu not properly hooked up perhaps? I followed several guides closely and think there should be no issue, but I feel like the cpu isn't doing anything.

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

Ieu

Currently I have:

i7-920 stock
gtx 570
8gb ddr3
128 SSD
1 tb HDD

I'm debating on building a new rig - or just getting another graphics card (maybe a used 6 series) until intels and nvidias next gen stuff comes out.

feedback?

The 920 is still good for a while yet so just upgrade the graphics card. I went from an Radeon 4890 to a GeForce 670 and all my performance issues were gone.

Addnan

Reposting for the day crowd. Really sucks having done all that work and research only to have the thing not work. I am probably going to take it to the local computer repair guy at this point:

Ok just finished putting together my first pc and turned it on. The machine turns on, all fans are running and everything is lit up. DVD drive opens and closes.

Problem is, I get no display. Also it doesn't sound like the pc is booting up at all. I don't think the cpu is doing anything. There are two LED lights on my mobo labeled POST1 and POST2. Both of them only show 0. I believe that they are supposed to display a series of numbers as the machine boots up.

The graphics card is lit up and its fans are running so I don't think that's the problem. Is my cpu not properly hooked up perhaps? I followed several guides closely and think there should be no issue, but I feel like the cpu isn't doing anything.

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng
Disconnect hdd, SSD, DVD drive. Anything extra that is not needed to post. Make sure all power cables are in they graphics card correctly. See if anything comes on the monitor. Make sure CPU fan is connected to the right 4 pin and CPU power is in.

ss_lemonade

Currently I have:

i7-920 stock
gtx 570
8gb ddr3
128 SSD
1 tb HDD

feedback?
With that kind of setup, I would just go buy a decent hsf for the cpu to OC and a good gpu (anything 670-class or faster that's within budget. Maybe a 770 or a 7970) and I think that would hold until newer stuff comes out.

scogoth

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

Did you try plugging the cable into the on board ports? Maybe the bios is set to display using integrated graphics. Also look up in the manual the post code (if its 0 look up what that means)

Bobb

Currently I have:

i7-920 stock
gtx 570
8gb ddr3
128 SSD
1 tb HDD

feedback?

Your specs seem fine to be, but then again it really depends on what you want to do with your computer. What games do you plan on playing and what resolution do you want to play at?

bro1

Banned
Called Gigabyte about my artifacts on my GTX 670 and they had me flash the bios. Hopefully this works. Running a loop right now of 3DMark and all seems good.

mlewis

Neo Member

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

Have you go tall the power connections plugged In on the motherboard? There will be several.
Have you plugged in the 2x PCI-E connectors on the GPU?

You could try running off the onboard video.
Have you plugged in the video output to the GPU slot or the motherboard slot?

You could also try taking out a stick of ram at a time and see if one of them is faulty/ not seated correctly

Bobb

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

Have you tried reseating the ram?
Happened to me more than a handful of times. Also disconnect your hdd, rom, and anything you don't need while you are testing.

bro1

Banned

i7 4770K
coolermaster 212
MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
16gb cosair veng

Did you use motherboard standoffs? Did you plug the CPU fan in?

kharma45

Stuck in two of the three Arctic Cooling F12's I got, even at the lowest settings they're pretty fucking loud :\ gonna try them with the Noctua low voltage adapters to see if that helps things at all.

200R was also an absolute dog to get a second front intake fan fitted.

Your specs seem fine to be, but then again it really depends on what you want to do with your computer. What games do you plan on playing and what resolution do you want to play at?

1080p. That's the most my monitor can handle and I'm fine with that, for now at least.

I game mostly single player and I mainly want to play everything on full @ 60 fps.

Next rig i build I want it to be a huge leap but i don't think much is out to justify that.

The price difference between a 670 and 770 aren't much. I was debating between those.

JCizzle

1080p. That's the most my monitor can handle and I'm fine with that, for now at least.

I game mostly single player and I mainly want to play everything on full @ 60 fps.

Next rig i build I want it to be a huge leap but i don't think much if out to justify that.

The price difference between a 670 and 770 aren't much. I was debating between those.

I'd spend the tiny bit extra for a 770

n0n44m

just seem to have blown up the integrated Headphone Amp on my Asus Xonar DGX

removed cable to get some space to plug in an optical cable, then put the headphone cable back in

now it outputs everything over the left channel, and noise over the right. When I set it to stereo (i.e. disable the integrated amp) it works fine, but that way I won't get Dolby Headphone

don't really understand why the amp malfunctions? it's an output I was removing the cable from, not an input ... no clue what happened

luckily the optical cable can also output the 2 CH Dolby Headphone to my receiver, so that's what I have my headphones plugged in right now. But that means my receiver is on all the time, which isn't really efficient in terms of power usage... RMA is probably going to take long as well aaaaaaargh

anhquansei

Neo Member
This is what i planned, my budget is around 1000$

I'll get these from Newegg, any suggestion on cutting down the price? I want a low-end PC which will last 5-7 years. Upgradable, run dual monitors, SLI supported.

I really want 4770K but dont know if another 100$ on CPU will be efficient.

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Rosewill CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

ASRock Z87 PRO4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K

mkenyon

Banned
Stuck in two of the three Arctic Cooling F12's I got, even at the lowest settings they're pretty fucking loud :\ gonna try them with the Noctua low voltage adapters to see if that helps things at all.

200R was also an absolute dog to get a second front intake fan fitted.
Dang, didn't realize you were that noise sensitive. Seems like people either want 700-800RPM fans or are pretty good with the quality fans at 1200RPM. Just put a 7V limiter on them and you'll be golden. They still move a good amount of air at that level too.

I'll get these from Newegg, any suggestion on cutting down the price? I want a low-end PC which will last 5-7 years. Upgradable, run dual monitors, SLI supported.

I really want 4770K but dont know if another 100$ on CPU will be efficient.

Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

MSI Gaming N770 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Rosewill CAPSTONE-650 650W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

ASRock Z87 PRO4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
Take a look at the OP, all of my suggestions would put you more in line with that.

WD Reds need their firmware flashed to work as standard drives. They're intended for NAS storage.

I wouldn't put my name behind the Pro 4 yet. ASRock seems to drop the ball on their Pro series often. No need for 2133 RAM unless you're trying to benchmark as a hobby.

kennah

Reds are designed for NAS/RAID setups and are intended to be used in pairs. They are really not recommended for day to day use. Go with a Black or Seagate.

Hey guys,

Looking to help my girlfriend build a decent gaming PC. Originally wanted to cap the budget at 600, then 700, but decided it might be worth it to spend a bit more and rather than be a budget gaming machine, build something that can keep up with my i7 and GTX 680 (at least play the same games together without a huge performance disparity for the next couple years)

Current Specs: Old, Store bought laptop that runs an ugly Left 4 Dead 2.

Budget: Originally 600-700, but not wanting to exceed $1000. Monitor price not factoring in.

Main Use: Gaming-5, Emulation (PS2/Wii)-4, Video Editing-2, Streaming games in HD-2, 3D/Model work (and what program)-1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-5. Will be used as an entertainment device. Bluray player, Gaming Console replacement, music, 2D painting.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080, $150-200 monitor probably, something ideal for gaming, though I might buy a new one for myself in the $200-270 range and would be curious on the best monitor in that range for gaming.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Want to be able to play most modern games at high or ultra settings. Borderlands 2, Dark Souls, Skyrim. Want to at least be able to run future games (unreal 4 for example) at medium settings. Basically not wanting to upgrade anything for a couple years and compete with next gen consoles to some extent. Want to run Artrage Studio Pro (not very resource intensive, so no worry)

Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope

When will you build?: In the next two or three months, probably will be buying one piece at a time with each paycheck unless suggested to do otherwise.

Will you be overclocking?: Maybe.

Hope that's descriptive enough. Here's a list I put together on part picker earlier.
Not sure what I'm going to do for the graphics card, but I'm thinking a 660 of some kind (what's the difference between 660 and 660i?), but I'd like suggestions. I'd like this rig to be easily upgradable. Starting with little ram and small HDD to keep the budget down, but open to suggestions on everything.

Particularly looking for suggestions on PSU and Cooler. I have very little experience in building a PC (though had a friend help me reassemble my custom build after taking it apart to travel back to the US), and to me, all coolers and power supplies might as well be the same thing. I figure something modest, but of good quality is perfect. I don't know what that would be though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Zikr

Suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Azzurri

People with 3 monitor setup, how do you like playing games? I've heard it isn't as great as you would think, especially FPS's.

Can anyone recommend good extensions for the motherboard power connector(the 8 pin one and the 20 pin one) and a good extension for SATA power connectors? Mine are really tight and I'd be more comfortable with some slack.

I dont know if brand even matters or not but I don't want to get something crappy.

Tak3n

Banned
FFS I just can not decide between Haswell i5 or I5 Ivy

there is not a great deal of price difference, and I keep thinking better to go with the latest gear, but then I think better to stay with tried and tested gear....

I am completely stuck and spent far to long keep chopping and changing

MedIC86

Is a 770 good enough to game comfortably at 1440p? it has only 2GB memory (i could get a 4gb, but i dont think the bus is big enough to really have any benefit), not sure if thats a problem tho.

The 780GTX is of course better but in some benchmarks i have seen the difference is only 2-5fps on 1440p.

kharma45

Dang, didn't realize you were that noise sensitive. Seems like people either want 700-800RPM fans or are pretty good with the quality fans at 1200RPM. Just put a 7V limiter on them and you'll be golden. They still move a good amount of air at that level too.

Ha yeah I love silence, I'll have to upgrade this case down the line. I stuck those Noctua adapters into it and it's extremely quiet now just like I wanted, just glad I had them lying around.

there is not a great deal of price difference, and I keep thinking better to go with the latest gear, but then I think better to stay with tried and tested gear....

If it were me right now with my own money I'd err on the side of caution with Ivy Bridge. It'll overclock equally as well if not better, it's cheaper and we know at this stage what is good and what is bad.

anhquansei

Neo Member
So i did everythings as instructed.

Your Current Specs: A DV6 1360US and a PC with P2xxx CPU No VGA 2GB RAM Gxx Gigabyte Mobo as i remember.
Budget: 1000$/Vietnam but i'll buy from Newegg and have everything shipped. "Everything" which isnt heavy such as case and PSU.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming to the max, and rendering video clip via Adobe AAE, simple one such as advertising.
Monitor Resolution: I planned for FULL HD 1920x1080 DUAL Monitors.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Everything possible, 30 is acceptable but i prefer 60.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Not at all.
When will you build?: I'll build at the ends of month, about 21 June, yeah i can wait.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably.

I need help on picking Cooling system, and wonder if the rosewell really worth it. How about FSP 600W 80 Plus Gold? In my country it is sold at 100$. I want the 4770K, but wondering if another 100$ on CPU is efficient.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/13ZJ4

And yes i'll replace the RED with BLACK, thanks. Someone told me that 2133 is better for OC but i highly doubt about it, anyway some extras bucks on bus isnt much.

ElFly

I am on the same boat, I run a sandy i3 and I am looking to upgrade to a haswell i5 or i7.

Your Current Specs::GTX 660, 8GB RAM, i3
Main Use: Gaming
Resolution: Single monitor at 1080p
Will you be overclocking: Nope.

So the question is, is there any point to the i7? I am hearing it may even hinder performance due to hyperthreading, where the i5 has only one thread per core.

kharma45

I am on the same boat, I run a sandy i3 and I am looking to upgrade to a haswell i5 or i7.

So the question is, is there any point to the i7? I am hearing it may even hinder performance due to hyperthreading, where the i5 has only one thread per core.

You could just save a bit of money and go IB for what it's worth. What board do you have atm?

anhquansei

Neo Member

As i know not many games support hyperthreading. So it's not worth.

ElFly

You could just save a bit of money and go IB for what it's worth. What board do you have atm?

The original plan was to wait for haswell to drive prices of IB down but I am not seeing it here.

Running an ASUS P8B75MLE. I should check if I need to update something to run haswell, cause I really don't want to replace my card (not only for the extra expense but because that means another copy of windows and, the worst part, basically building another pc in terms of work).

Haswell, dog. It's faster. Don't listen to all these Ivy Bridge people. They're just drunk on whiskey and jealousy.

Bobb

Next rig i build I want it to be a huge leap but i don't think much is out to justify that.

I would pay the extra for the 770. You're not going to see much of a difference going from 570 to 670.

Get Hawell. You can always upgrade the CPU without changing the motherboard down the road.

kharma45

The original plan was to wait for haswell to drive prices of IB down but I am not seeing it here.

Running an ASUS P8B75MLE. I should check if I need to update something to run haswell, cause I really don't want to replace my card (not only for the extra expense but because that means another copy of windows and, the worst part, basically building another pc in terms of work).

You'd only be able to run IB with it, Haswell is a new socket.

I was hoping you'd have a Z or P motherboard with the ability to OC but alas not.

mkenyon

Banned
Get Hawell. You can always upgrade the CPU without changing the motherboard down the road.
This isn't guaranteed at all. Lots of really solid rumors about broadwell being BGA.
Silverstone Air Penetrator any good?

EDIT: I can get either the Penetrator or the SusCool locally.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Clearance/Item/f1888af9-462f-42e5-a789-591fdd397c6c

and

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Clearance/Item/cf569da3-c4c0-4cf7-861f-2934cf5cf5ce

I like the look of the Suscool better.
AP's have much better pressure ratings.

kennah

Just sent this message to my wife "Ok, so did an updated tally on the computer costs.
Let's.... just never bring it up again."

But, I'll share the numbers with y'all.

This started as a $600 upgrade.

Currently - I've spent $1020, with at least another $300 more to go. But the end is in sight!

The comfort is, I got a LOT of deals on things, full retail for everything I have right now would be over $1,800.

scogoth

Just sent this message to my wife "Ok, so did an updated tally on the computer costs.
Let's.... just never bring it up again."

But, I'll share the numbers with y'all.

This started as a $600 upgrade.

Currently - I've spent $1020, with at least another $300 more to go. But the end is in sight!

The comfort is, I got a LOT of deals on things, full retail for everything I have right now would be over $1,800.

Hahaha! Your at a new level now, there is no end

Tak3n

Banned
ok my fellow experts -1 (me being the -1)

here is what I am pulling the trigger on tomorrow if I get a reasonable sense of approval...

sligthly over my budget by £100 :( but I upped the cooling (would the i60 cooler do?)

and do I need a modular PSU?

drum role.... (I have a 660 GPU allready)

Computer Case Fractal Design Define R4 - Black
CPU Intel i5 4670K - (4 x 3.4 GHZ) - Haswell - (6 FREE GAMES)
CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H80i (Advanced Liquid Cooling)
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB XMS3 PC3-15000 1866MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)
Graphics Card None or Motherboard Integrated Graphics
Motherboard Asus Z87-K (Intel Z87)
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Power Supply Corsair 600W (Modular) PSU - Low Noise
CPU Compound Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
Case Fans Fans Included With Case
Hard Drive #1 128GB SanDisk SSD SATA-III, Read 490MB/s, Write 350MB/s - Silent
Hard Drive #2 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
Optical Drive #1 Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)
Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
Security Software FREE - Webroot AntiVirus 2013 (1 Year - 1 PC License) - FREE FOR ORDERS PLACED BEFORE 17/06/13
DVD Playback Software FREE - CyberLink PowerDVD 10
DVD/CD Burning Software FREE - Nero V12 - NEW
Free Gift FREE - 6 Port Surge Protection

Frostburn

eguQY6m.jpg

Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD
All games on 120GB Samsung 830 Pro
Dell U2410f 1920x1200 monitor

My review coming from a GTX 570

Tested Games: Battlefield 3, Diablo III, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite, Borderlands 2

OMG I can run EVERY game on the highest possible settings with no slowdown. The games feel SOOOO smooth, I don't think the framerate varied much before but the frame times are HUGELY improved now. Not being able to see a single jagged edge and the clarity of every texture and shadow details are amazing. I'm glad new consoles are coming out because I am too spoiled to look at them now.

Worth. every. penny.

Tak3n

Banned
eguQY6m.jpg

Asus P8Z67-V Pro/GEN3
i5-2500k
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM
SoundBlaster Titanium HD
All games on 120GB Samsung 830 Pro
Dell U2410f 1920x1200 monitor

My review coming from a GTX 570

Tested Games: Battlefield 3, Diablo III, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite, Borderlands 2

OMG I can run EVERY game on the highest possible settings with no slowdown. The games feel SOOOO smooth, I don't think the framerate varied much before but the frame times are HUGELY improved now. Not being able to see a single jagged edge and the clarity of every texture and shadow details are amazing. I'm glad new consoles are coming out because I am too spoiled to look at them now.

Worth. every. penny.

nice one, I have heard nothing but very good thinkgs about the 770, most reviews I have read call it the perfect card price coupled with performance

tarheel91

So I recently found this image comparing an AMD APU + AMD GPU to a Intel CPU + AMD GPU:

AMD-Dual-Graphics-slide.jpg

Obviously, the big limitation is that this only works with lower end cards. Considering the continuing shift towards GPUs doing most of the heavy lifting in games, does anyone see this as a viable alternative to a more traditional i5 or i7 CPU with a high end GPU, though, once APU's with a bit more graphical prowess come out? A 7970 with a powerful APU would probably destroy a 770 + i7 at a lower price to boot. I imagine especially once we see unified memory for consumer applications some really cool options could open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom