• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

I believe he should list the current machine he has. I am 99% sure he can salvage at least HDD and Case from it, perhaps PSU aswell. That might leave enough room to get higher tier APU and perhaps 8GB of memory (I paid just a little over 50 GBP for 16 GB of Crucial Ballistix, it was 2 8GB kits and was about 26GBP per kit)

My PC only has a HD which is most likely shit. it's awful.. The Case is lame too. But kharma45 what could that system run games wise and how easy would it be too upgrade?. MY old PC didn't even have a PCI-e slot to allow me to upgrade the graphics card.

Why... do you assume that? I looked it up, the only one in California is in SoCal.

Because you priced out a cpu that was in-store only. Or at least I thought you did.

Does anybody know anything more about this Haswell USB non-sleep-mode bug? Or know why, after this new motherboard, my computer no longer has a Sleep option? I looked around the BIOS a bit for anything Sleep related, but no luck. Windows 7 Pro.

Whiskey is for hooligans and cutthroats.

flotsam

Neo Member
I've scoured the OT for information on this but not coming up with much, so I'll ask here.

Getting my components including a Fractal Design Define R4 delivered tomorrow and I wanted to understand my airflow. Is there an easy way to know which way the fans are blowing (into/out of the case) or is it a case of looking it up on t'interwebs?

I'm not planning on adding any fans to the case as I'm not intending to OC the Haswell for now but it would be good to understand for placement of the machine.

So many people building computers in here last night. We need pics.

My build isn't particular unique (pretty much the OT's enthusiast build) but I'll try and get some pictures up during the process.

CPU: i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Intel Z87
Memory: Corsair Vengeance White LP 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
HDD Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green Power 2TB 64MB Cache
SSD Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD 2.5"
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 PCI-Express 3072MB GDDR5
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 - Black Pearl
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX760 - 750W 80Plus+ Platinum
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Managed to pick this up super cheap for SLI. Couldn't say no really. ;D

iUQ1td16kBE0t.jpg

Tomas

Banned
I agree, and I am getting hung on this silly issue.... it was just bugging me.... like a wasp in your pants

They already have this hilarious policy, overclocking yourself would void warranty on all parts (most likely). Trust me, if anything would go wrong (faulty motherboard 3 months later), they would not help you. If you want to overclock your hardware, buy parts or find another PC building shop.

Tak3n

Banned
They already have this hilarious policy, overclocking yourself would void warranty on all parts (most likely). Trust me, if anything would go wrong (faulty motherboard 3 months later), they would not help you. If you want to overclock your hardware, buy parts or find another PC building shop.

I was worried about that, if I did overclock does it void your warranty?

Getting my components including a Fractal Design Define R4 delivered tomorrow and I wanted to understand my airflow. Is there an easy way to know which way the fans are blowing (into/out of the case) or is it a case of looking it up on t'interwebs?

Fans always blow front to back. So if you're looking at the front of the fan (the sticker, the logo, front of the blades, etc.) the air is blowing away from that. Fans in the front of the case will be sucking air into the case, while the fan at the rear of the case will be exhausting air out of the back. That's pretty much always the way it works.

Side fans typically blow into the case.
Top fans typically exhaust out.
.... if you ever add any.

This is the interwebs.

Addnan

scogoth

I've scoured the OT for information on this but not coming up with much, so I'll ask here.

I'm not planning on adding any fans to the case as I'm not intending to OC the Haswell for now but it would be good to understand for placement of the machine.

My build isn't particular unique (pretty much the OT's enthusiast build) but I'll try and get some pictures up during the process.

Some fans have an arrow on the side to indicate direction of airflow. You can also just look at the blades and figure out which way it's blowing.

Fans always blow front to back. So if you're looking at the front of the fan (the sticker, the logo, front of the blades, etc.) the air is blowing away from that. Fans in the front of the case will be sucking air into the case, while the fan at the rear of the case will be exhausting air out of the back. That's pretty much always the way it works.

Side fans typically blow into the case.
Top fans typically exhaust out.
.... if you ever add any.

This is the interwebs.

You got that backwards, when you are looking at the side with the sticker the fan is blowing towards you

Tak3n

Banned
You should check out Overclockers and the builds they can do for you. You said you have around £800 to spend and already have a graphics card right? http://i.imgur.com/Uhlan80.png

This is just something I quickly chucked into their system config. You can't choose PSU, they give you a overkill 850W Corsair TX.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-291-OK

ahh good thinking, my last system was from them and apart from me adding ram and a new GPU it is not missed a beat in 6 years

So Bioshock Infinite finished downloading this morning and I gave it a quick go before work.

Played fine on Ultra.

Feels good man.

Maybe Sunday I'll start reading into overclocking. Also, the BIOS sure looks different then it did when I built a computer like 7 or 8 years ago lol.

Switters

I've been gaming on a MBP for a looong time. Nothing etreme, indie games, older games, flash games. Can't run BF3, Planetside, Metro, Crysis, etc. I'm getting a modbook for art and work, so I'm selling the MBP.

However, I want to build a desktop that can run the more graphically intense games listed above. I haven't built a gaming PC since 2003... Can one of you nice people get me startes\d on the path to a mid-range gaming pc? I have 32'' 1080p TV with vga to use as a monitor.

Edit: Let's say my budget is between $600-$800

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So Bioshock Infinite finished downloading this morning and I gave it a quick go before work.

Played fine on Ultra.

Feels good man.

Maybe Sunday I'll start reading into overclocking. Also, the BIOS sure looks different then it did when I built a computer like 7 or 8 years ago lol.

It's like seeing light for the first time. The convenience and accessibility of a modern bios/PC is excellent compared to what it was even 10 years ago.

Addnan

I've been gaming on a MBP for a looong time. Nothing etreme, indie games, older games, flash games. Can't run BF3, Planetside, Metro, Crysis, etc. I'm getting a modbook for art and work, so I'm selling the MBP.

However, I want to build a desktop that can run the more graphically intense games listed above. I haven't built a gaming PC since 2003... Can one of you nice people get me startesd on the path to a mid-range gaming pc? I have 32'' 1080p TV with vga to use as a monitor.
Couple of questions in the OP. Fill them out and help can be provided more easily ;)

Salaadin

I need some help. I asked this yesterday and so I apologize for bringing it up again but I sepnt 2 hours trying to figure things out last night and I got nowhere.

Windows is obviously installed on the SSD. The speeds are great. Samsung Magician reports that AHCI is enabled and that Im plugged into a SATA III port. Windows reports that TRIM is working. All is well there.

But when I run Windows Experience Index, it shoots back a 5.9 because of drive speed even though Windows is not on a mechanical drive. I tried removing the drive letters of all mechanical drives, still gave a 5.9. I tried disabling them in device manager....still a 5.9. I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that the Samsung 830 SSD was the top priority. 5.9.

Im out of ideas. I knpw WEI isnt great but that score is telling me that something is wrong and Im just overlooking the problem.

jiffy38

TD has i7 3770 non k for 179.99. Really wonder if the overclock is worth it. That's a heck of a savings. Too good a deal not to grab it?

Najaf

I've read that with SSD's you should set the Hard Drive to never shut off under advanced power settings. (The default Windows 7 setting is to power down the drives at 20 minutes of idle I believe) Is this a good thing to do?

Any other tips for keeping the SSD in tip top shape?

I've read this peice from the OP, but seeing as it is a 3 year old article, I can't help but feel W7 has received some tweeks to better occomodate SSD's.

Thoughts?

nbthedude

Ok thanks. Gotta head to bed and will try in the morning.

Here are a few general problems that will result in no screen posts to just check list:

1) make sure all power connectors on the motherboard have power (many times there are 3 or 4) and it is easy to miss a small one in the corner of a board.

2) If you are using a cheaper case, you may need to screw on risers before putting your motherboard in the case. W/o the risers, the motherboard will automatically short and will not post.

3) Do not screw the motherboard on too tightly. Just until they are snug. Try loosening a few of the screws.

4) Make sure sure the graphics card is seated properly and completely and make sure you are plugging your HDMI or VGA cable to your graphics card NOT the motherboard.

If none of this works, you should start gradually unplugging pieces until you find the problem.

-Start with removing the graphics card and pluging the monitor to onboard power.

-Next leave the graphics card out and try booting it with just one stick of RAM then the other. Also try the ram in diferent slots (check your manual for the default slot configuration).

-Finally, remove it from the case together and try booting it outside of the case with everything plugged up to make sure the case is not causing a short somewhere.

If none of this works, you may have a dead motherboard but usually one of these things will locate the problem.

Switters

Couple of questions in the OP. Fill them out and help can be provided more easily ;)

Of course.Thanks.

Your Current Specs:
IW6f9Qi.jpg

Budget: $600-$800 US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: [5] Light Gaming, [5] Gaming, [2] Emulation (PS2/Wii), [1] Video Editing, [0] Streaming games in HD, [0] 3D/Model work, General Usage.
Monitor Resolution: I have a tv that's 1080p so I guess I need a card with vga out.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30 fps is acceptable. I want to run Planetside with nice visuals and decent fps. Other games include Recent Stalker games, BF3, Metro Games, World of Tanks, and most new games for the next couple of years.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nah
When will you build?: Within the next month
Will you be overclocking?: No

Addnan

Of course.Thanks.

Your Current Specs:
IW6f9Qi.jpg

Budget: $600-$800 US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: [5] Light Gaming, [5] Gaming, [2] Emulation (PS2/Wii), [1] Video Editing, [0] Streaming games in HD, [0] 3D/Model work, General Usage.
Monitor Resolution: I have a tv that's 1080p so I guess I need a card with vga out.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30 fps is acceptable. I want to run Planetside with nice visuals and decent fps. Other games include Recent Stalker games, BF3, Metro Games, World of Tanks, and most new games for the next couple of years.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nah
When will you build?: Within the next month
Will you be overclocking?: No
The 'great' build in the OP is a great starting point. Might be just a little over budget. Do you have a Microcenter where you live? They have the CPU for a little cheaper than other places. That build is great for the budget though, games like Planetside are quite CPU heavy and the 3570K is a good one to get.

scogoth

I've read that with SSD's you should set the Hard Drive to never shut off under advanced power settings. (The default Windows 7 setting is to power down the drives at 20 minutes of idle I believe) Is this a good thing to do?

Any other tips for keeping the SSD in tip top shape?

I've read this peice from the OP, but seeing as it is a 3 year old article, I can't help but feel W7 has received some tweeks to better occomodate SSD's.

Thoughts?

Windows 7 Service pack 1 and windows 8 both can detect and setup SSDs properly. Wouldn't worry about anything.

Switters

The 'great' build in the OP is a great starting point. Might be just a little over budget. Do you have a Microcenter where you live? They have the CPU for a little cheaper than other places. That build is great for the budget though, games like Planetside are quite CPU heavy and the 3570K is a good one to get.

Thanks a lot! That's just what I was looking for. (shoulda read da OP)

knitoe

I need some help. I asked this yesterday and so I apologize for bringing it up again but I sepnt 2 hours trying to figure things out last night and I got nowhere.

Windows is obviously installed on the SSD. The speeds are great. Samsung Magician reports that AHCI is enabled and that Im plugged into a SATA III port. Windows reports that TRIM is working. All is well there.

But when I run Windows Experience Index, it shoots back a 5.9 because of drive speed even though Windows is not on a mechanical drive. I tried removing the drive letters of all mechanical drives, still gave a 5.9. I tried disabling them in device manager....still a 5.9. I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that the Samsung 830 SSD was the top priority. 5.9.

Im out of ideas. I knpw WEI isnt great but that score is telling me that something is wrong and Im just overlooking the problem.

Have you try disconnecting all drives, except SSD, and refreshing the WEI score?

Did you change the default Windows install directory? If yes, check the last post.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1304473/wei-is-scanning-the-wrong-disk-fixed/10

Guys I have a problem with my 7970:

Ever since I built this PC I've been having random flickers. It lasts less than a second so it's hard to capture but it's basically like white with some lines, usually not even all over screen and it happens fast. Like this at 0:29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amSM8GxSyA
It comes and goes, sometimes takes hours or not at all in days, sometimes few in a row and I thought oh well and haven't been trying to fix it until this happened:

Sound and everything in background worked and I couldn't see or get out from this.
I am running latest drivers and catalyst and also have latest MSI afterburner installed with fan curve set at 1c=1% after 20c, but should note it also happened on last 2 versions of drivers.

What I've done is disconnected DVI cable and on HDMI now, I think flicker happened once, not sure because it happens fast, but been waiting and nothing so far. But if it did happen it's one of 3 things: graphics card is bad, graphics card interaction with monitor is bad, monitor is bad. Last one I don't think so because I play 360 and ps3 on it and no problems there. And if it happens on HDMI again then it's not cable either..

I've been suggested to RMA card but I want to be 100% sure what's the problem because me RMAing it involves traveling 12 hours and paying 50e for train ticket to give them the card, then if they don't give me new one right away(probably not) going back, then waiting x days while using onboard card and then traveling back again 12 hours x2 and paying 50e.... or begging some friend to pick it up and send it via bus or something.

Where do you live since you would have to travel 12 hrs to mail out the card?

Threi

notag
In my case its because i recently bought an i3-3220 and am pretty satisfied with it. But i know that the i7 is a killer deal...but it would just be money wasted (and since 1155 is a dead platform cpu prices are prob gunna go down anyways)

SpyGuy239

Hey guys, can someone help me post this up as a new topic if it's not done yet (I couldn't find it with a search)

Article is from PC gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/a...-titles-are-likely-to-struggle-on-intel-tech/

I think it's interesting and worth discussing. Would love to see the thoughts of the GAF Community on this (even though I'm kindof an Intel Fan)

AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel tech

"...put some questions to AMD’s Nicholas Thiebierroz, Senior Manager of its Gaming Engineering division....Here’s what he said about Intel’s latest foray into the world of gaming hardware and what the next generation of consoles, which run on AMD architecture, will mean for PC gamers...

...AMD making up the heart of the next-gen consoles, can you realistically see developers spending the time and money to code specifically for extensions that wont work with AMD – and by extension next-gen console – hardware?

“In a word: no.

When it comes to high-end gaming, current Intel integrated graphics solutions usually force users to compromise between quality or performance, which is a tough choice to impose on gamers.

The semi-custom APU AMD designed for the PlayStation 4 is built on AMD’s 28nm “Jaguar” CPU cores and Radeon graphics which enables 1.84 TFLOPS of performance for leading performance, image quality, tessellation, and efficiency.

...graphics chip that developers are programming for is in a completely different class than what Intel is currently providing on the PC platform, and PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle to perform acceptably well on Intel-integrated solutions.

In contrast, AMD GPUs and APUs sharing the same or similar architecture will have a much easier time coping with the extra graphics workloads required by this next-generation of titles.

Because of this we do not expect game developers to spend resources on implementing Intel-specific extensions unless they’re given strong motivation to do so by Intel

I have to agree with the article somewhat since it is true that AMDs integrated solutions right now are above intel's. But what serious gamer would play AAA games on integrated solutions? I'm sure they would have a discrete graphics card first and foremost.

The questions is then would the graphics card be enough for the next-gen games? I'm thinking this is an easy YES, but there might be some facts I am not aware of.

I guess what i really want to know is what does this mean for Discrete graphics with Intel CPUs? Would the next-gen games (especially the ports) still run as well? Because as far as I know, currently, Intel is still ahead of AMD in the CPU department.

Thoughts guys?

Sothpaw

If you already made sure all power connectors on the motherboard are connected and all ground screws are in then first try taking out the videocard and plugging your monitor straight to the motherboard (on board video) and see if you get an image that way.

Ok that didn't work. Any other ideas?

scogoth

Hey guys, can someone help me post this up as a new topic if it's not done yet (I couldn't find it with a search)

Article is from PC gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/a...-titles-are-likely-to-struggle-on-intel-tech/

I think it's interesting and worth discussing. Would love to see the thoughts of the GAF Community on this (even though I'm kindof an Intel Fan)

AMD say “PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle” on Intel tech

"...put some questions to AMD’s Nicholas Thiebierroz, Senior Manager of its Gaming Engineering division....Here’s what he said about Intel’s latest foray into the world of gaming hardware and what the next generation of consoles, which run on AMD architecture, will mean for PC gamers...

...AMD making up the heart of the next-gen consoles, can you realistically see developers spending the time and money to code specifically for extensions that wont work with AMD – and by extension next-gen console – hardware?

“In a word: no.

When it comes to high-end gaming, current Intel integrated graphics solutions usually force users to compromise between quality or performance, which is a tough choice to impose on gamers.

The semi-custom APU AMD designed for the PlayStation 4 is built on AMD’s 28nm “Jaguar” CPU cores and Radeon graphics which enables 1.84 TFLOPS of performance for leading performance, image quality, tessellation, and efficiency.

...graphics chip that developers are programming for is in a completely different class than what Intel is currently providing on the PC platform, and PC ports of next-generation console titles are likely to struggle to perform acceptably well on Intel-integrated solutions.

In contrast, AMD GPUs and APUs sharing the same or similar architecture will have a much easier time coping with the extra graphics workloads required by this next-generation of titles.

Because of this we do not expect game developers to spend resources on implementing Intel-specific extensions unless they’re given strong motivation to do so by Intel

I have to agree with the article somewhat since it is true that AMDs integrated solutions right now are above intel's. But what serious gamer would play AAA games on integrated solutions? I'm sure they would have a discrete graphics card first and foremost.

The questions is then would the graphics card be enough for the next-gen games? I'm thinking this is an easy YES, but there might be some facts I am not aware of.

I guess what i really want to know is what does this mean for Discrete graphics with Intel CPUs? Would the next-gen games (especially the ports) still run as well? Because as far as I know, currently, Intel is still ahead of AMD in the CPU department.

Thoughts guys?

This seems specifically targeted at intel integrated GPUs. The extensions they are referring to will be supported on any modern discrete GPU and the sheer power of a modern intel CPU and discrete GPU runs circles around the jaguar APUs. The APUs they use are on CPU compute performance equal to high end Atom processors and GPU performance equal to low end discrete GPUs.

MedIC86

I need some advice, i canceled my order on the 780GTX, after thinking about it a few days, 650$~ is just to much imo for "just a video card". But now im thinking im going to buy a new display (2560X1440) would lets say a 770 (and im looking at the superclocked ASX model) be enough to play at that reso with decent eye-candy? Or should i be getting a 7970GE.

Thanks.

Giggzy

What accessories would you recommend for pc gaming? I have the urge to splurge but my pc doesn't really need any new parts yet(3570k, gtx670, have Samsung ssd). I have Logitech G930 Headphones, naga mouse, gaming mousepad, Xbox controller. My keyboard is shit so maybe that should be upgraded.

Any recommendations for keyboards or anything else in general?

Addnan

I need some advice, i canceled my order on the 780GTX, after thinking about it a few days, 650$~ is just to much imo for "just a video card". But now im thinking im going to buy a new display (2560X1440) would lets say a 770 (and im looking at the superclocked ASX model) be enough to play at that reso with decent eye-candy? Or should i be getting a 7970GE.

Thanks.

Depends on the video settings. 7970 seems to perform better at higher res than the 770 somtimes. They are pretty closely matched, but the 780 would destroy both ;)

What accessories would you recommend for pc gaming? I have the urge to splurge but my pc doesn't really need any new parts yet(3570k, gtx670, have Samsung ssd). I have Logitech G930 Headphones, naga mouse, gaming mousepad, Xbox controller. My keyboard is shit so maybe that should be upgraded.

Get a mechanical keyboard. CM Storm Quickfire, op has a list of good ones.

MedIC86

Depends on the video settings. 7970 seems to perform better at higher res than the 770 somtimes. They are pretty closely matched, but the 780 would destroy both ;)

Well i dont know what you mean by destroy but in some benchmarks the 770 (lightning or SC) is only 10-20% slower, while being 250$ cheaper.

If you don't live with a significant other, then get a mechanical. Otherwise I really love my Roccat keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom