• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else having trouble with Nvidia 320.18 driver? I am having crashes in 3DMark and BF3. I downgraded to 314 and haven't had any issues yet but am trying to figure out if it is a hardware or software issue. I have a 670 that is factory OC'd.

Yeap, serious ones.

Got a Palit GTX460 Sonic Platinum (factory OC'd) and after updating to 320.18, I started having BSODs and eratic behaviour with just about anything I did.

I rolled-back to 314.22, and while it was OK for a while, after 30mins of FSX it completely crapped-out.

Tried re-installing 314.22s, which were completely stable since their release, multiple times (removing traces of previous ones, etc) with no luck.

I can only get in Windows in safe mode - any attempt to install/load the nvidia driver results in a BSOD.

I also get artifacts now - even before booting Windows.

Pretty sure video card is f***ed up and I'm convinced the 320.18 update is not a coincedence.

I believe NVIDIA also stated that this issue is mostly seen in OC'd (factory or user) cards.

Ordered a Gigabyte GTX 660 (and PSU) and I'm definitely not risking installing the 320.18s.

mkenyon

Banned
It doesn't seem like the most well ventilated case, but I'm going to try to make it work. I ended up getting the Cooler Master GeminII M4 because I found some pictures of it installed on the board I'm using and its nearly half the price of the Skythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B which was another option

I may replace the 140mm case fan with a Noctua case fan but I will see how the one it comes with does first
That'll do. It has 60mm of total clearance for the HSF.

Check these out too before you totally dedicate. They'll both have a bit better airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112339

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112402

Addnan

Could anyone take a look and see what I can do to improve my score? I really thought i5 2500k + 780 would do alot better, and others DO have better results with similar set ups.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/519845

I don't know whats up with the cpu score.
Doesn't seem too bad. Searching through their database that's a pretty normal score for a 2500K and single 780. Even small overclocks to GPU or CPU can boost scored by several hundred points

mkenyon

Banned
Could anyone take a look and see what I can do to improve my score? I really thought i5 2500k + 780 would do alot better, and others DO have better results with similar set ups.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/519845

I don't know whats up with the cpu score.
The people with higher scores than you probably have watercooling setups and overclocked RAM.

I'm not sure how PCI-E 2.0 might affect the score as well.

OC processor to 5.0, OC ram to 2133 or 2400, OC video card as far as it will go. To get towards the higher brackets, you really have to push every part in your system to the limit. It's not really a measurement of real performance at that point, you're just gaming the benchmark. That can be fun if you are into that sort of thing though.

Addnan

Ran 3D Mark for first time since getting 770. Scoring about 700 points higher than the 670 was with the rest of the specs the same. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/522609

Don't care much for this though, eh. Got 7100 first. Touched the GPU clocks just a little and it went up over 200.

Tak3n

Banned
got a bit of a weird one here, computerplanet.co.uk are saying a Fractal Design Define R4 case is not suitable for a overclocking processor

Ivy 5 or 7 series, Haswell is ok though apprantely

love that case, are thay just being over cautious?

I added a liquid cooler but it is still saying no

Addnan

got a bit of a weird one here, computerplanet.co.uk are saying a Fractal Design Define R4 case is not suitable for a overclocking processor

Ivy or Haswell :(

They don't know what they are talking about. Case is almost perfect!

kharma45

Ivy 5 or 7 series, Haswell is ok though apprantely

Extremely over cautious. Yes the R4 doesn't have the worlds best air flow but it's still more than good enough.

Addnan

yeah figured as much, it turns out they do overclock the haswell in that case...

I smell something fishy there as if you pay them £60 they can do it!!

Don't pay them to overclock. Just get it with the cooler installed and do it yourself. I don't know how much testing and stuff they would do for stability anyway. Probably better to do it yourself.

mkenyon

Banned
Air flow is mostly determined by fans, not cases.

The fans that are in the R4 are nearly silent and don't move much air. But with today's parts being what they are, they don't really need to. You can always add more fans/replace them if you aren't happy with temps.

My brother is getting a laptop in the next few days and according to reviews it has a ton of bloatware on it. It'll come with Windows 8 so I'd like to know how to wipe and do a fresh install of the OS on there. Is that possible without a disk?

kharma45

My brother is getting a laptop in the next few days and according to reviews it has a ton of bloatware on it. It'll come with Windows 8 so I'd like to know how to wipe and do a fresh install of the OS on there. Is that possible without a disk?

You can do a refresh with W8, not sure if that will remove the bloat though.

Blizzard

Banned
WELP, I thought I had everything lined up after getting the credit card fraud detection fixed. Nope, turns out Outlet PC was out of the Z77A-GD55 motherboard, no schedule for when they will get more, and I only found out this afternoon. Ordering it from Amazon now, wish I had known two days ago since I might have been able to get it by the weekend. :p

Anybody here ever do a build or have any opinions on the Xigmatech Midgard II?

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JPKLGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20[/URL]

RybDVq

I kind of really like it. Has just about everything I'm looking for in a case I don't really need.

mkenyon

Banned
WELP, I thought I had everything lined up after getting the credit card fraud detection fixed. Nope, turns out Outlet PC was out of the Z77A-GD55 motherboard, no schedule for when they will get more, and I only found out this afternoon. Ordering it from Amazon now, wish I had known two days ago since I might have been able to get it by the weekend. :p
There's always Frys/Local Computer Stores/Microcenter.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
YES!!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Primochill has had rigid acrylic tubing on their site for a while now - but what about the fittings? All the push fittings out there are kinda ugly and/or don't match my build at all - and CrystalLinks aren't safe. (Thanks, mkenyon for explaining it all to me!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xJxAd94t_j0

Supposedly available by the 15th. I've found the last piece of my computer-building-puzzle.

Frostburn

Just a heads up for those getting new GTX 7xx cards

I had to upgrade my Asus P8Z67-V Pro/Gen3 BIOS just to get my system to boot after installing my GTX 770. I was thinking it was a bad power connection at first. I'll post some pics of my new cars from my PC.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Currently building my pc.

Noticed one thing, one of the 9 screws for placing the motherboard had a broken cap. Might have to just make due with 8.

Sober

Been keeping a look at Haswell's launch, doesn't seem to be that great, but either way moving to intel for me from an older AMD seems like a big upgrade either way. I have a few questions before I decide to start looking for parts though:

1) If I do a modest OC, like say around the 4GHz region air cooled with simply say a hyper 212 evo, how is the heat for Haswell then? What about IB?

2) Given all things equal with the current LGA1150 mobos, what exactly are the new features that really push it to be worth upgrading rather than just upgrading to third gen/LGA1155?

3) The USB3.0 issue with Haswell, it's not really that big a deal is it? Just maybe requires some unplugging/reinserting for some USB devices, is that correct?

Salaadin

I know Windows Experience Index is pretty useless but why is it rating my storage hard drive in the test and not the SSD that WIndows is installed on? Its giving me a 5.9 when it should be a 7 something.

Zaph

All of this Xbox One shenanigans has got me in an upgrade mood.

Looking to replace my CPU/Mobo/RAM (happy with my GTX 670 atm).

Currently I have a Core i7 950 3.7Ghz (Bloomfield) LGA 1366, Asus Sabertooth X58 and 12GB RAM.

I use my computer for work and gaming, making extensive use out of the Adobe Suite (especially Photoshop and Illustrator).

I usually buy high-end and my budget's flexible (so long as it's not the Extreme Edition £900 CPU nonsense).

Even though my system isn't ancient, I'm guessing it's still ripe for upgrade?

To Haswell or not? (I noticed there aren't any Haswell builds in the OP, that bad?) I've heard they are USB issues? I had the same with my X58 which were never resolved, so I really don't want to repeat that.

Also, what's the cheapest (legal) way to get Windows 8? I don't want the upgrade edition on the MS store, because I'm planning a fresh install.

I'm drunk too. And considering I'm in the PC thread, I can only assume you gentleman have only the utmost taste in libations. Then may I suggest one of the finest wines I know - a wine so fine that only the criminals in Australia can achieve.

inkberry_bottle_shiraz_cab.jpg

I've also been watching like 2000 video reviews of cases tongiht, and I've come to the conclusion that, yes, the Fractal R4 is like the perfect case. My wants and desires have ebbed and flowed as I watch all of these reviews, and somehow my heart always finds its way back to the R4. The latest love affair, a bottom mounted fan. FUCK YES PEOPLE. Direct air upward right onto the graphics card and get the flow moving towards the blow holes lololl blow......

dont ban me

ombz

So I installed a new haswell processor and motherboard yesterday but after I was done installing everything the computer won't stay on. It flickers on and off. I've used the power supply for about a year and a half and its worked fine so I don't think that's the problem. I tried just isolating each stick of ram with no luck.
Do you think the motherboard could be defective?

I RMA'd the motherboard. Hopefully it works out. I wouldn't think the processor would be the cause; I don't know how I could even test it with the new socket.

Thanks. But lately I've kinda been feeling the desire to get a new case. This Lian Li build is almost 5 years old now, and I've done a couple other builds since then, and I really like some of the innovations in these newer cases. Plus it would be really nice to have front USB 3.0. Of course this Lian Li works perfectly fine and I totally don't need a new case, but sometimes when you get that itch the only thing you can do is scratch it.

I've been eyeing that Corsair 550D. Not as classy as a Lian Li, but sexy in its own right. And the ability to add in 6 140mm fans makes me kinda horny.

I don't think I can ever go back to a non Alu case.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Had a H80i and the backplate is loose until you mount the cooling unit, so it's normal. Pro tip: don't overtighten the unit, just finger tight will do or you risk bending your pins.

Thanks, got it mounted.

Current two issues:

H60 fan and radiator orientation is not like the photo for Mr. Pockets build. In that picture, the fan is visible inside of the case. The only way this seems to work is with the radiator in front and the fan in back.

Also, the connectors for the front fans are 3 pin whereas the connectors on the motherboard are 4 by majority. According to some googled forum posts, I can connect the three pins to the fours as long as I am sure to leave the fan control pin uncovered and not the others.

npm0925

Any recommendations for a micro ATX motherboard for an Intel i7 4770k? I plan to overclock, will use a single video card, and will use a USB sound card.

YAY all my stuff came in and I'm building now. Almost done just connecting the PSU.

Question about my graphics card, I have a Radeon 7950 and it has 2 6-pin connectors. Do I need to connect power to both of them? Or just one? Or just one + 2 of the other?

I'm looking for a new monitor and in the OP it says that the ASUS VG23AH has "the best 60hz performance on the market."

What exactly does that mean? How is it better than a normal 60 hz monitor?

ombz

YAY all my stuff came in and I'm building now. Almost done just connecting the PSU.

Question about my graphics card, I have a Radeon 7950 and it has 2 6-pin connectors. Do I need to connect power to both of them? Or just one? Or just one + 2 of the other?
Connect them both

Toski

Alright, I bought the MSi Z87-G65 mobo, Cooler Master 212 EVO and MX-4 thermal paste. My question is what overclock can I expect on a i7-4770k? My goal is 4.5 GHz, but it seems anything past 4.2 on air is unfeasible on most Haswells. What temperature range should I try to keep the CPU in?

Courage

Alright, I bought the MSi Z87-G65 mobo, Cooler Master 212 EVO and MX-4 thermal paste. My question is what overclock can I expect on a i7-4770k? My goal is 4.5 GHz, but it seems anything past 4.2 on air is unfeasible on most Haswells. What temperature range should I try to keep the CPU in?

Most reviews could get it to 4.4 at around 90 degrees.

Thanks, got it mounted.

Current two issues:

H60 fan and radiator orientation is not like the photo for Mr. Pockets build. In that picture, the fan is visible inside of the case. The only way this seems to work is with the radiator in front and the fan in back.

Also, the connectors for the front fans are 3 pin whereas the connectors on the motherboard are 4 by majority. According to some googled forum posts, I can connect the three pins to the fours as long as I am sure to leave the fan control pin uncovered and not the others.

You can set the H60 fan as a push or pull, so it doesn't matter that much. Just be sure the fan is intaking fresh air from outside of the case.

4 pin fans are PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation), which means you can control the fan speed through the motherboard. 3 pin ones are not, so they run at a set speed unless you connect a resistor to lower the voltage. But you can place the 3 pin fans to the 4 pin connectors, just match the plastic guides.

silentQ

I got a question although its probably been asked before but I kind of want an answer customized to my situation. I have Two 1 TB HDDs that I want to use Raid. I see online that for gaming going Raid 0 will be the best performance but I have had my fair share of issues with HDDs over the years failing and such so I am not sure I am comfortable with having no redundancy and such but so I really like Raid 1. As far gaming will my performance suffer so bad that it will be noticeable if I went Raid 1? What is the common Raid setup for you guys as far as your gaming rigs? Finally is there any settings in Windows that I should go with as far as HDD power management and such to preserve my HDDs if I went with Raid 0?

One other thing before its asked I am using the BitFenix Prodigy so I can only fit 2 HDDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom