• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Minesweeper and Solitaire should look awesome!!! :)

This person speaks the truth. I was worried/nervous before building. But after the help from this thread/videos round the web/various other sites, Ive built/upgraded at least 5 with no worries.

Plus there is a certain satisfaction you get from doing it yourself!

that said, if anyone is ever in my neck of the woods and wants something built, stop on by! i'll do it for free...

Same. Whatever convinces people to run screaming from prebuilt garbage.

Not much. Almost all of the parts are poor compromises, no SSD, and the GPU isn't up to the task of playing modern games. If you're going the Nvidia route, a GTX650ti is pretty much the bare minimum required to run modern games.

You don't have a component store within <50 miles? You could always pick up all of the parts at one of those places and assemble that night.

From what I've seen, a "decent" prebuilt PC will set you back $1500. Ridiculous.

And frankly, if you were to watch someone build a PC and see how simple it is, you would be insulted by the premium most companies charge.

You say that now, but just wait until you get your hands on a decent machine. You will want more and better.
Hmm

Honestly, It's just that I don't know how to pick out parts. :/ Don't know how to check what's compatible with what and such, so to me it's just easier to buy something Pre-Built, and when/if I want to upgrade, It'll be easier later on.

I'm actually trying to make a build right now on NewEgg. Got a case, and after that I'm stuck.

Koroviev

Hmm

Honestly, It's just that I don't know how to pick out parts. :/ Don't know how to check what's compatible with what and such, so to me it's just easier to buy something Pre-Built, and when/if I want to upgrade, It'll be easier later on.

I'm actually trying to make a build right now on NewEgg. Got a case, and after that I'm stuck.

Budget and purpose of this PC? I'd be more than happy to pick out some parts for you :)

Anton668

To whomever posted that Asus 27" IPS earlier in the thread, I hate you!! (J/K)

I have one sitting in the cart talking myself into/out of pushing the checkout button!!! lol

Anton668

Hmm

budget will be youre biggest factor. once you decide on that, start looking at the builds in the OP. you can tweak them with help in the thread

sry for the DP

Koroviev

budget will be youre biggest factor. once you decide on that, start looking at the builds in the OP. you can tweak them with help in the thread

sry for the DP

My only issue with the budget-minded builds in the OP is the lack of SSDs. I think they should be considered a necessary component of a modern PC, with a large HDD being the secondary item, especially given the current state of that market.

Budget and purpose of this PC? I'd be more than happy to pick out some parts for you :)

Budget, I'd prefer to not go over $1000.

Purpose? Mostly just to have a decent PC at my house, mostly for editing and web browsing, plus the occasional light gaming. 720p at 60 frames would be fine. I'd prefer Nvidia and Intel than AMD.

Thanks in advance Koroviev.

Anton668

My only issue with the budget-minded builds in the OP is the lack of SSDs. I think they should be considered a necessary component of a modern PC, with a large HDD being the secondary item, especially given the current state of that market.

well, therein lies where the tweaking comes into play. though compared to other places round the web they offer a better starting point than most it seems. that combined with the knowledgeable ppl in this thread, you really cant go wrong

garath

I'd still consider a ssd a luxury item when you are talking about a budget build. Spend the money on a better CPU or a better GPU. It doesn't improve performance beyond load times and load times for games are minimal as it is. Mechanical HDS are still far cheaper with a lot more space.

Akai__

Hmm

If you use PCPartPicker to chose your PC parts, it shows you, what it compatible and what isn't. It excludes all incompatible things by default.

For example: if you chose a CPU, which only works with LGA 1155 motherboards, it will only show those. It will also show the PC cases, which are compatible with it and etc.

Koroviev

Budget, I'd prefer to not go over $1000.

Purpose? Mostly just to have a decent PC at my house, mostly for editing and web browsing, plus the occasional light gaming. 720p at 60 frames would be fine. I'd prefer Nvidia and Intel than AMD.

Thanks in advance Koroviev.

Intel is definitely the way to go for processors, but you might want to consider AMD for the GPU if you're not using any specific intensive media programs. Nvidia and AMD both make quality cards, but AMD tends to offer better value for money with respect to the mid-range market.

And is your monitor 720? Because a budget of $1000 should allow for decent gaming at 1080p no problem.

I'd still consider a ssd a luxury item when you are talking about a budget build. Spend the money on a better CPU or a better GPU. It doesn't improve performance beyond load times and load times for games are minimal as it is. Mechanical HDS are still far cheaper with a lot more space.

SSDs make the whole system feel more responsive. Programs open near-instantly.

Large HDDs are necessary for certain lines of work and use cases, but I think a lot of people simply don't clean up very often, thus accumulating a mass of useless programs and data.

Intel is definitely the way to go for processors, but you might want to consider AMD for the GPU if you're not using any specific intensive media programs. Nvidia and AMD both make quality cards, but AMD tends to offer better value for money with respect to the mid-range market.

And is your monitor 720? Because a budget of $1000 should allow for decent gaming at 1080p no problem.

SSDs make the whole system feel more responsive. Programs open near-instantly.

Large HDDs are certainly necessary for certain lines of work and uses, but I think a lot of people simply don't clean up very often, thus accumulating a mass of useless programs and data.

My Monitor is 1080p. I just can do without 1080p 60 frames. I wouldn't mind playing at it though, just it isn't super important to me.

Hmm

http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/home.asp

These guys have done great work building PC's for my work and are pretty reasonable compared to building your own if you really don't want to.

Koroviev

Windows 8.

How's this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BlP1

The case is really a personal choice. Motherboard is a tad bit more expensive to permit overclocking. I'm not sure how much storage you would use, but 1TB is usually a safe bet. I'd be okay with 500GB, but it's a personal thing. SSDs are amazing and you want one.

If you happen to live near a Micro Center/Frys (will price match Micro Center), you can get a 3770k (i7) for the same price as that i5, which is a killer deal.

Artanisix

I'm having this issue where I press the button to turn on my computer and it sounds like the fans whirr for a bit then settle down, then whirr some more and then settle down, and then finally it powers up and the computer turns on. Is this an HDD problem? Should I be worried about it dying on me or somethin'? Or is it like a power supply issue?

Koroviev

I'm having this issue where I press the button to turn on my computer and it sounds like the fans whirr for a bit then settle down, then whirr some more and then settle down, and then finally it powers up and the computer turns on. Is this an HDD problem? Should I be worried about it dying on me or somethin'? Or is it like a power supply issue?

Did it just start doing that? Because all of the PCs at the place I work do that. No issues there.

Anton668

How's this?

The case is really a personal choice. Motherboard is a tad bit more expensive to permit overclocking. I'm not sure how much storage you would use, but 1TB is usually a safe bet. I'd be okay with 500GB, but it's a personal thing. SSDs are amazing and you want one.

If you happen to live near a Micro Center/Frys (will price match Micro Center), you can get a 3770k (i7) for the same price as that i5, which is a killer deal.

was just about to post about the microcenter deal...

Koroviev

was just about to post about the microcenter deal...

I'm going to sing it from the rooftops until it disappears. Other people have to make up for me not realizing it was there when I picked up a 3570k :p

I have no need for an i7. I just want one since because.

kennah

Hmm

That's why we are here :) and any of the regulars will be able to pick out a great pc for $1000 and some are even willing to walk you through building it over facetime or skype.

How's this?

Perfect. Really good. Thanks for the help Koroviev. This is the build I'll probably be going with. Thanks a lot!

and sadly there are no electronic stores in Utah like Fry's, which is why I wanted to buy a pre-built one from Bestbuy even more, cause I don't know how to make a build, and then build it, and I can't pick parts/get help at a store like Fry's (I've been to one before when I still lived in California, was really cool.)

Anton668

I hate you >:T

yeah.. i get that alot.. lol

well i was planning on upgrading and using my old parts on a PC for the kids.

so at this point although i have no need, why not, future-proofing and all that.
Like why I want to get a 7950 to replace my 5770. tis bout the best i can reasonably get away with.

then theres that damn monitor......

Anton668

NoRéN;47272233 said:
And where is that exactly? I would love to see one of you masters at work.

My cable management still has a long way to go.

smack dab tween Chicago and South Bend

(damn it, did it again, sry)

kennah

yeah.. i get that alot.. lol

well i was planning on upgrading and using my old parts on a PC for the kids..
i'm looking forward to building my son's computer with him. Course who knows what they'll be like when he's old enough. (is almost 3 now)

DTKT

Cougar 120mm had some motor whine when using the 4PIN connector. I just ordered a Noctua PWM 120mm and I hope that it's silent. At least, that's what the internet is telling me.

Sydle

Other suggestions for a fast, reliable system:

- 8GB low-profile RAM (Samsung recommended!)
- 128/256GB SSD (Crucial M4 or Samsung 840 Pro; Samsung 830 if you can find one) for the OS and programs paired with a 1TB WD Blue HDD for data
- An H77 motherboard...cheaper than a Z77 since you can't overclock with it.

Match those components up with a solid PSU (see OP) and you will have a very fast machine at your disposal.

...And are you sure you aren't interested in gaming with it? If you throw in a 2GB 7850 (~$200), then you will have a very solid gaming PC. Check out the high-res screenshots thread if you're on the fence ;)

Edit: And since you'll be working on this machine, you might want to consider a mechanical keyboard if you don't have one already. Feels so much better to type on and provides excellent feedback!

I have reconsidered gaming...here's what I came up with...

• CPU: Intel i7-3770K
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 82.9
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z77
  • Memory: Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600
  • GPU: Radeon HD7850 2GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 Plus Bronze
  • Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
  • Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
  • Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000I Mechanical Keyboard
  • Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW
  • Monitor: ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED 24 Inch
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window Black Pearl Silent

It's a bit pricey, but I'm thinking this would last me a good 3+ years before I needed to begin thinking about upgrades.

Thoughts?

Koroviev

I have reconsidered gaming...here's what I came up with...

• CPU: Intel i7-3770K
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 82.9
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z77
  • Memory: Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600
  • GPU: Radeon HD7850 2GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80 Plus Bronze
  • Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
  • Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
  • Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000I Mechanical Keyboard
  • Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW
  • Monitor: ViewSonic VX2450WM-LED 24 Inch
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window Black Pearl Silent

It's a bit pricey, but I'm thinking this would last me a good 3+ years before I needed to begin thinking about upgrades.

Thoughts?

Would you be getting that i7 with the Micro Center deal? Otherwise, whether or not it's worth the cost depends entirely on what type of work you're doing.

PSU is bit overkill. An 80+ certified (or better) 500W PSU from a reputable manufacturer (Antec and Corsair are good) should suffice.

I think this DAS with no key printing is awesome, but that's a very personal choice:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003M4XGI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rosewills are solid, so no problem there. Just pointing out an alternative.

I also think the Noppoo is really neat looking: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091QHIR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry, I'm on a mechanical keyboard kick right now ;)

(Personally using a CM QuickFire Pro with browns. Really like it aside from the excessive branding.)

Overall, that's a really solid build. You might want to upgrade the GPU in less than three years, but everything else should hold up really well.

NoRéN;47272426 said:
Dang. SoCal here.

Riverside County, SoCal...I could not withstand the winters of the east. I can barely withstand the winter here! :(

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Rosewills are solid, so no problem there. Just pointing out an alternative.

I also think the Noppoo is really neat looking: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091QHIR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry, I'm on a mechanical keyboard kick right now ;)

(Personally using a CM QuickFire Pro with browns. Really like it aside from the excessive branding.)

Nah what he really wants is this

jMlxZpSQWm4Pr.png

Artanisix

Weird. I would apply some Google-foo to that situation.

I google'd it and it seems to be an issue with either the capacitors on the PSU or the capacitors on the motherboard. I've been meaning to replace the PSU for a while now in preparation for a new GPU so maybe it's that :x

Anton668

I have a 500W CX and it's served me well enough. No issues to speak of.

oh I have the same one you do. I swear i remember ppl saying it wasnt their better ones.

How long is the i7 Microcenter deal on?

the flier says till the 10th

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/c0a7cbf9#/c0a7cbf9/1

so I may postpone my trek till Tuesday. depends on weather

hmmm.. and it seems 840 pros are on sale and if bought with a MB/CPU you get another $20 off
seeing as how I was going to pick up a MB with that i7..... damn it.. something else to think about...

See, THIS is the hard part about building!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom