• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day without my green audio jack or, indeed, my audio working properly. Realtek drivers won't install, speakers aren't detected, and audio through HDMI cuts out constantly unless I have Windows Media Player turned on and playing a DVD. Great stuff.

I might just uninstall windows and start again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm pulling my fucking hair out here.

DTKT

Question, I'm installing my Cougar PWM CPU fan with the mounting bracket from the Hyper 212 Plus but there is no grooving for the screws. Am I supposed to brute force the screw in?

NoRéN

Question, I'm installing my Cougar PWM CPU fan with the mounting bracket from the Hyper 212 Plus but there is no grooving for the screws. Am I supposed to brute force the screw in?

Yes, their not threaded. Use a screwdriver with a thick handle. Tip i received from someone here.

scogoth

Another day without my green audio jack or, indeed, my audio working properly. Realtek drivers won't install, speakers aren't detected, and audio through HDMI cuts out constantly unless I have Windows Media Player turned on and playing a DVD. Great stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm pulling my fucking hair out here.
Get a sound card?

n0n44m

If you disable the Realtek audio in the bios , will HDMI work properly then ?

also, try booting in safemode to install the Realtek drivers

One other small issue: I used the "SSD mount" feature, that you have to screw in before the motherboard is put in. Because of the way it's faced and mounted on the case, getting the PSU SATA cable in there very nearly didn't happen, due to the thick wires, and even the end of the cable being a 90 degree bend the wrong way. I got the power cable to fit on my very last try, but I want to find an extension cable or something with a straight end (and preferably as little bulk around the connector as possible). I found one or two possibilities on NewEgg so far, but does anyone have any personal experience or recommendations on the subject? I saw suggestions to cut the bulk off of one with a Dremel, as an alternative.

Also, just to be clear, SATA Slimline connectors are a separate thing, right?

I've put off buying this for too long. Any quick recommendations on something that would fit the mark? I can start ordering cords randomly, but I'd appreciate suggestions. It can even be as simple as an extension cable with a relatively small straight end.

Get a sound card?

I'm going to have to give in by the looks of it!

If you disable the Realtek audio in the bios , will HDMI work properly then ?

also, try booting in safemode to install the Realtek drivers

How do I disable Realtek audio in the BIOS? All I can see is HD Audio options and Realtek LAN controller.

I Tried installing through safe mode a few times - Realtek doesn't show up anywhere on the system save for when I want to uninstall it.

Bleeether

I've put off buying this for too long. Any quick recommendations on something that would fit the mark? I can start ordering cords randomly, but I'd appreciate suggestions. It can even be as simple as an extension cable with a relatively small straight end.

If the mounting hardware is getting in the way of the sata ports i would remove the mounting hardware and mount the ssd with some velcro. You can pretty much stick them anywhere you want.

n0n44m

I'm going to have to give in by the looks of it!

How do I disable Realtek audio in the BIOS? All I can see is HD Audio options and Realtek LAN controller.

I Tried installing through safe mode a few times - Realtek doesn't show up anywhere on the system save for when I want to uninstall it.

disable the "HD audio" in bios under Onboard Devices Configuration

Koroviev

If the mounting hardware is getting in the way of the sata ports i would remove the mounting hardware and mount the ssd with some velcro. You can pretty much stick them anywhere you want.

Are we talking about a desktop? Because my SSD is held in place with a single screw and no mount. Works great!

Where?
What's the main difference between NVidia and amd?

Not a whole lot if we're talking about GPUs and gaming. Some specific programs benefit from CUDA. AMD cards are generally a bit cheaper, especially with respect to the mid-range and lower-end cards.

kennah

Well. I only had one entry in the end so congrats to Crazy Croatia on winning my 6850 as an upgrade to your 5570! I'll pm and we will work out shipping.

At this point I'd have to pretty much remove everything to unscrew the SSD to remount it. The Fractal Define R3 had a "feature" where you could mount them on the side, but you had to do it before you installed the motherboard. I'll know for the future, though.

I'll just go ahead and go with one of these two StarTech cables. At worst I'm out $8 and have to find something else.

Are we talking about a desktop? Because my SSD is held in place with a single screw and no mount. Works great!

Not a whole lot if we're talking about GPUs and gaming. Some specific programs benefit from CUDA. AMD cards are generally a bit cheaper, especially with respect to the mid-range and lower-end cards.

I do the same with my ssd.

Thanks, looking for a new gpu. Mine got damaged and I'm running on an internal
Is it worth waiting for the new batch?

HDMI doesn't show up ?

is the HDMI on the motherboard or on a videocard ?

I have Digital Audio (HDMI), if that's what you mean? It's plugged into the videocard.

Enabling HD Audio makes Realtek stuff show up in playback devices, but I still don't get the taskbar icon, nor am I able to get audio via the green audio jack.

Koroviev

I do the same with my ssd.

Thanks, looking for a new gpu. Mine got damaged and I'm running on an internal
Is it worth waiting for the new batch?

What's your budget? I wouldn't want to be without a dedicated card for several months, but it might be a good idea to pursue a mid-range model now and then make a decision about spending a significant amount of money when there are more options on the table.

n0n44m

I have Digital Audio (HDMI), if that's what you mean? It's plugged into the videocard.

OK so is that working correctly now that you have disabled the Realtek (HD Audio) in bios ?

Because HDMI audio from vidcard and the onboard (Realtek) audio are completely seperate in terms of hardware and drivers , so if both have issues I'd suspect something is wrong with your Windows installation somehow ?

OK so is that working correctly now that you have disabled the Realtek (HD Audio) in bios ?

Because HDMI audio from vidcard and the onboard (Realtek) audio are completely seperate in terms of hardware and drivers , so if both have issues I'd suspect something is wrong with your Windows installation somehow ?

Having tried disabling HD Audio, HDMI audio still doesn't work properly. It still cuts out, unless I have a DVD playing on Windows Media Player. I have had Realtek HD Audio Manager installed and working before, but audio was cutting out and I was advised to try onboard audio alone, which is when I found out about the rear/front panel audio jacks not working.

So this could be a Windows thing, rather than a motherboard thing?

What's your budget? I wouldn't want to be without a dedicated card for several months, but it might be a good idea to pursue a mid-range model now and then make a decision about spending a significant amount of money when there are more options on the table.

200-230 ish

any opinions on these pcs here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-GAMING-SYSTEM-ULTRA-COMPACT-Ivybridge/dp/B00ADL25C2/ref=sr_1_97?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359940269&sr=1-97
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-GAMING-SYSTEM-ULTRA-COMPACT-INCREDIBLE/dp/B00ADL25P4/ref=sr_1_98?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359940269&sr=1-98

I'm looking to buy prebuilt because I really can't be bothered building one myself and I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience. Is there anything wrong with the ones above? What sort of games could they play?

M3z_

I saw a bitfenix prodigy on craiglist list brand new for $40 and bought it on impulse. Now I want to build a rig in it with some spare parts I have and maybe some new ones from microcenter, but I already have a gaming computer, WTF am I doing? Why did I buy this case, it just sits here taunting and seducing me to build inside it.

Koroviev

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-GAMING-SYSTEM-ULTRA-COMPACT-Ivybridge/dp/B00ADL25C2/ref=sr_1_97?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359940269&sr=1-97
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADMI-GAMING-SYSTEM-ULTRA-COMPACT-INCREDIBLE/dp/B00ADL25P4/ref=sr_1_98?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359940269&sr=1-98

I'm looking to buy prebuilt because I really can't be bothered building one myself and I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience. Is there anything wrong with the ones above? What sort of games could they play?

Lousy for gaming. The GPUs are not gaming GPUs. It's a really common thing when it comes to prebuilt machines.

And unless you have a friend who can put one together for you, you're going to a pay a lot for the convenience....anywhere from a couple hundred extra to double the cost of the parts or more.

You really aren't going to get decent value for your money unless you build your own. Building it is the easiest part. It's making the decisions that will take time and effort ;)

"INCREDIBLE 4GB NVIDIA GT 630 Graphics" LOL!

Hey GAF, I'm considering buying a Pre-Built PC (yeah I know...) and then upgrading it later and buying parts for it later on.

Between these 2 desktops, which is the best? What can I expect in terms of gaming? I'm not really buying them for gaming, but I'll probably do some. I'm fine with 720p at 60 on medium. Can I expect that or Higher?

Desktop 1

Desktop 2

Koroviev

Hey GAF, I'm considering buying a Pre-Built PC (yeah I know...) and then upgrading it later and buying parts for it later on.

Between these 2 desktops, which is the best? What can I expect in terms of gaming? I'm not really buying them for gaming, but I'll probably do some. I'm fine with 720p at 60 on medium. Can I expect that or Higher?

Desktop 1

Desktop 2

If you're looking to save money in the short term, buying a prebuilt PC is not the way to do it. As I said above, you are always paying substantially more for less when it comes to prebuilt machines. And those machines are poor for gaming, even with graphical compromises.

If the issue is budget restrictions, here are my suggestions:

- Pick up an i3 + compatiable motherboard (you can upgrade this to an i5/i7 later)
- 7850 (great price, solid performance @1080p)
- 8GB low-profile RAM (Samsung preferred)
- 128GB SSD (OS + programs; makes a modern PC)
- 500GB HDD (Western Digital or don't bother)
- one of the budget cases in the OP
- 80+ certified (or better) 450-500W PSU (see OP for preferred brands)

I'm getting tempted to upgrade my 6850 but I wanted to wait until 2014. Should I go for it or wait?

If you're okay with the performance you're getting now, then wait for this year's batch of cards...if you see something good on the table, pick it up. Should be plenty of options by then.

Akai__

Not that great for gaming, IMO. Just to make a comparison: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Bleb (Tried to match your specs)

You would save a good amount of money and could use it for a better GPU, for example.

^^ So that would be able to play most games a at least moderate settings? I'm not looking for a beast that runs everything on max settings with perfect framerate or anything like that:p
Lousy for gaming. The GPUs are not gaming GPUs. It's a really common thing when it comes to prebuilt machines.

And unless you have a friend who can put one together for you, you're going to a pay a lot for the convenience....anywhere from a couple hundred extra to double the cost of the parts or more.

You really aren't going to get decent value for your money unless you build your own. Building it is the easiest part. It's making the decisions that will take time and effort ;)

"INCREDIBLE 4GB NVIDIA GT 630 Graphics" LOL!

I see, thanks for letting me know, I thought it looked decent.

Guess I'll just wait it out until I'm not feeling too lazy to build one. I'll definitely be getting that case though, it looks too nice.

If you're looking to save money in the short term, buying a prebuilt PC is not the way to do it. As I said above, you are always paying substantially more for less when it comes to prebuilt machines. And those machines are poor for gaming, even with graphical compromises.

If the issue is budget restrictions, here are my suggestions:

- Pick up an i3 + compatiable motherboard (you can upgrade this to an i5/i7 later)
- 7850 (great price, solid performance @1080p)
- 8GB low-profile RAM (Samsung preferred)
- 128GB SSD (OS + programs; makes a modern PC)
- 500GB HDD (Western Digital or don't bother)
- one of the budget cases in the OP
- 80+ certified (or better) 450-500W PSU (see OP for preferred brands)

If you're okay with the performance you're getting now, then wait for this year's batch of cards...if you see something good on the table, pick it up. Should be plenty of options by then.

It's not budget that's the problem. It's just buying a pre-built computer is more convenient and easier to go to the store and just buy a decent pre-built one. So what can I expect from the Pre-Built ones I posted?

Koroviev

It's not budget that's the problem. It's just buying a pre-built computer is more convenient and easier to go to the store and just buy a decent pre-built one. So what can I expect from the Pre-Built ones I posted?

Not much. Almost all of the parts are poor compromises, no SSD, and the GPU isn't up to the task of playing modern games. If you're going the Nvidia route, a GTX650ti is pretty much the bare minimum required to run modern games.

You don't have a component store within <50 miles? You could always pick up all of the parts at one of those places and assemble that night.

From what I've seen, a "decent" prebuilt PC will set you back $1500. Ridiculous.

And frankly, if you were to watch someone build a PC and see how simple it is, you would be insulted by the premium most companies charge.

^^ So that would be able to play most games a at least moderate settings? I'm not looking for a beast that runs everything on max settings with perfect framerate or anything like that:p

I see, thanks for letting me know, I thought it looked decent.

Guess I'll just wait it out until I'm not feeling too lazy to build one. I'll definitely be getting that case though, it looks too nice.

You say that now, but just wait until you get your hands on a decent machine. You will want more and better.

Anton668

So what can I expect from the Pre-Built ones I posted?

Minesweeper and Solitaire should look awesome!!! :)

And frankly, if you were to watch someone build a PC and see how simple it is, you would be insulted by the premium most companies charge.

This person speaks the truth. I was worried/nervous before building. But after the help from this thread/videos round the web/various other sites, Ive built/upgraded at least 5 with no worries.

Plus there is a certain satisfaction you get from doing it yourself!

that said, if anyone is ever in my neck of the woods and wants something built, stop on by! i'll do it for free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom