• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

yup, tween this and the keyboard thread I went the mechanical route. but I have to have Num keys. though it seems i went the road less traveled route and bought a Gigabyte Aivia Osmium

osmium.jpg

Gigabyte Aivia Osmium

Anton668

well the Aivia is listed as a gaming keyboard. And, well, I am a gamer... so.... yeah.....

and yes, I am a sucker for purdy lighting

Koroviev

This thread is dangerous. I used to be happy with my Logitech wireless

I've had my CM QuickFire Pro for a few days and I pulled my Logitech wireless out of the closet this morning to try it out again.

Nope. Not going back.

Those all look too Gamer-ish to me.

I'll keep dreaming

jbvvBIrPd5zBmp.jpg

Yeah, I prefer the inconspicuous look, although my current one isn't particularly low-profile. Incredibly solid otherwise.

are mechanical keyboards actually that good?

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Look at that. It's beautiful!

It just feels so much more satisfying than typing on mush.

Ultrabum

The best way I can describe it, is like when you go from a hard drive to a solid state drive.

Your not even aware of what your doing to yourself, and then its just like.... my god, I can never go back to that.

That being said, I've heard some people just don't care. I use my keyboard a lot, so why not have a nice one?

DJ_Lae

I'll get a nice mechanical keyboard when my current keyboard dies (second gen G15).

I don't think I'll go with blues, though, too loud.

Hmm

Honestly, It's just that I don't know how to pick out parts. :/ Don't know how to check what's compatible with what and such, so to me it's just easier to buy something Pre-Built, and when/if I want to upgrade, It'll be easier later on.

I'm actually trying to make a build right now on NewEgg. Got a case, and after that I'm stuck.

Thats why this thread is here man, plus posters to give further advice/help.

Anton668

hmmm... yes?

this is my first and the way it "feels", much better. and this thing is built like a tank. weighs a lot, doesnt feel cheap at all. if somebody breaks in i could prolly take them down with this keyboard!!!!

At what point is a cpu cooler recommended? Is that only for overclocking or would it be recommended for any build? I'm just looking at a general gaming build, and probably going to pick up a 660Ti. Just starting out, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but this 3770k deal at microcenter has piqued my interest.

DTKT

At what point is a cpu cooler recommended? Is that only for overclocking or would it be recommended for any build? I'm just looking at a general gaming build, and probably going to pick up a 660Ti. Just starting out, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, but this 3770k deal at microcenter has piqued my interest.

If you don't overlock, you can skip a cpu cooler. But honestly, overlocking is so easy and can provide such a performance boost that it's a no brainer.

Gibbo

guys thinking of upgrading my 7870 to maybe a 7970 or gtx670. anything which would give me a reason not to? would there be new cards coming out very soon?

Damn this thread, I came looking for a gpu, I may leave with a new keyboard and am tempted to just build a new pc, even though mine is just a year old

Their was a reason I keep out of this thread

Koroviev

Damn this thread, I came looking for a gpu, I may leave with a new keyboard and am tempted to just build a new pc, even though mine is just a year old

Their was a reason I keep out of this thread

We're all here to make your dollars go further
from your checking account

:D

so i know nothing about mechanical keyboards
suggest me one at a reasonably cheap price (i dont want to buy one but i got no will power_

scogoth

Only one build in the OP actually features Samsung ram, even though it is clearly the most popular option here.

There's a reason for that. It keeps selling out and not available everywhere in the world(like Canada). It's hard to recommend something people may not be able to buy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have a 500W CX and it's served me well enough. No issues to speak of.
oh I have the same one you do. I swear i remember ppl saying it wasnt their better ones.
CX series is not something I would suggest due to better options, but you can certainly do worse. It's decent.
Only one build in the OP actually features Samsung ram, even though it is clearly the most popular option here.
Because it went up in price by like 50% and needs to be overclocked plus availability is spotty I chose not to include it. Welcome to be suggested though.

Momentary

Banned
Having a tough time deciding between the Max Keyboard Nighthawk-X9 or the Corsair K95. I don't know what the X9's chassis is composed of... I believe it's plastic. The K95 on the other hand is aluminum. They both have red switches. I would love to have a metallic chassis, but I'm kind of iffy on the G keys and the fact that aluminum gets cold.

I think they both look sexy. And I really need white backlighting and these are perfect. I might just have to flip a coin.

X9
large_257_Nighthawk-X9_white.jpg

k95
k95topaltkeyglow.jpg

Having a tough time deciding between the Max Keyboard Nighthawk-X9 or the Corsair K95. I don't know what the X9's chassis is composed of... I believe it's plastic. The K95 on the other hand is aluminum. They both have red switches. I would love to have a metallic chassis, but I'm kind of iffy on the G keys and the fact that aluminum gets cold.

I'll go with an aluminium chassis. A rigid alu or steel plate under the keys adds to the pleasure of hitting the keys. My Quickfire TK has a plastic case, but a steel plate base for the switches and it feels more solid than a Ducky Shine without the steel plate. In comparison the Ducky Shine (Year of the Dragon Limited ed reds) feels sorta mushy.

Anton668

I think they both look sexy. And I really need white backlighting and these are perfect. I might just have to flip a coin.

X9
large_257_Nighthawk-X9_white.jpg

k95
k95topaltkeyglow.jpg

i was looking at the corsair before setting on the aivia. the k95 is not fully mechanical and i found too many bad reviews for various aspects to waste my money on one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is there a nice cheap mechanical keyboard I can get? This cheap $3 Dell one I got like 4 years ago seems to being dying out and I would love to give one of these a shot on the cheap.

Anton668

ah, that could be. I was thinking bout the K60/90

wasnt aware of the 95. replacing the 90 or adding to their line up?

hopefully they will fix what was wrong with their other KB's

ETA: $150 for it???? um.... pass
ETA: although being able to set each key backlight on/off is kinda cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom