• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

haha nice catch! Actually forgot ram, Samsung ram seems to be non-existent here in Canada so went with Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Yep. Damn hard to find here. NewEgg and Amazon have it sometimes and there is a sketchy online store that says it is in stock but actually ships to you from the states. I got mine in August during my one and only ever trip to a Microcenter. Really excited to finally do more than look at it in the next couple weeks.

Ty4on

Interesting numbers. Glad I went with the 840 pro 256gb SSD.

I know, I feel like the luckiest person in the world for getting a 256GB 830 right before the price went up/they disappeared. It's just nice to knowing I can do stuff like delete and install steam games all day long and it will still last untill everything else on the rig is replaced.

Ty4on

More important than that are the speeds it achieves while maintaining stability on performance and temp. 2133@1.5v and never see them get hotter than 35c. Amazing. I'm running quad channel on an X79 Sabertooth.

I never saw the Samsung RAM for sale here, but I never understood why you had to go for that unless you used an IGPU. How many tasks really show a difference above 1600Mhz?

Edit: Sorry for double post...

kharma45

So...I think I just built my first PC...

1jrs4k8.jpg

It took me a couple of hours, mainly because I was trying to be as careful as possible...and I was trying to get some sort of order to the cables (to no avail). The real culprit of those hours was me being an idiot and not realizing that the power switch to the tower was not connected at all. I was almost sure I had damaged something or something was a dud...but man, that feeling I got when I hit the power button and the power supply, video card, and cooling fan kicked on. I think they called it a Yee-haw moment. Or a "Fuck yeah" moment.

But thanks to those that gave me help on building this (even though it only amounted to 'Does this look okay?') and thanks to this thread for existing. I needed a project to take on...and this made me feel awesome.

Pro 3 is a pretty good board for the price, got the Z75 version of it in one of my PCs and it's a good job!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I never saw the Samsung RAM for sale here, but I never understood why you had to go for that unless you used an IGPU. How many tasks really show a difference above 1600Mhz?

Edit: Sorry for double post...

For me, getting proper quad channel was a goal with this build. I plan on running some heavier memory intensive things in the future like video editing as well. I think I can see things changing a little in the next few years since right now I am starting to use a higher baseline on my memory with the things I need to run. It used to be in the 1-2gb range but now it's in the 3-4. Then toss some games or other things in and you really start eating at it.

I'm really happy to see my particular 4 dimms run stable and passed my memtest86 runs.

Good deal, went with an i5? That Mobo is solid!

"It was an i3 3220. Down the line, I'll probably upgrade...but what I'm working with now is damn good. Seeing things like Skyrim...or Deus Ex: Human Revolution running on this is like...a revelation. I'm kind of glad that I grabbed the Radeon HD 7850 and got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for free.

Also, I have to thank kennah for the recommend on that board.

Koroviev

You're just going to have to do it again in a week :p

I know, I know...but I couldn't have things arranged poorly in the interim. Besides, I'm going to try to wait until I have the Z77 before I switch cases. I want to minimize the number of times I have to reinstall the H60.

Koroviev

"It was an i3 3220. Down the line, I'll probably upgrade...but what I'm working with now is damn good. Seeing things like Skyrim...or Deus Ex: Human Revolution running on this is like...a revelation. I'm kind of glad that I grabbed the Radeon HD 7850 and got Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider for free.

Also, I have to thank kennah for the recommend on that board.

(Why are you quoting yourself?)

mkenyon

Banned
2 hours later.

Mikey - 1

Apple PowerMac G5 - 0

There's tiny bits of PCB all in the case. The giant heatsink is impossible to remove without a specialty length hex driver. Or by bending one way and another until the hex bolts just break through the PCB. I chose the latter.

Fuck you Apple. Make it this hard to just empty the case. I have to dremel off that top plate even just to get the rest of the bits out. The amount of screws is like 10 pounds alone.

Solid!

You're going to need fans for those radiators too. The SP-120s seem like a no brainer in the 900D.

The lifespan on an 840 120GB is 3 years. 6 years for the 256.

You can buy unisleeved cables directly from Corsair for the AX series. They're what I use.

Nope. Price is meeting demand finally. The secret is out!

Oh nice I did not know that! Thanks for the tip!.

Just a heads up for everyone. Looking over Newegg supplying components for my new rig soon, ASRock Extreme 4 comes with a free 8GB Ballistix DDR3 stick,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

That is a great deal.

If someone is looking to go a little bit up from that, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130660 also comes with 8gb Ballistix. You get 16 phase, a thicker pcb, and wifi/bluetooth onboard.

2 hours later.

Mikey - 1

Apple PowerMac G5 - 0

There's tiny bits of PCB all in the case. The giant heatsink is impossible to remove without a specialty length hex driver. Or by bending one way and another until the hex bolts just break through the PCB. I chose the latter.

Fuck you Apple. Make it this hard to just empty the case. I have to dremel off that top plate even just to get the rest of the bits out. The amount of screws is like 10 pounds alone.

Damn! That's sick. I just jumped into this but are you gutting out a mac case and putting pc parts inside?

Koroviev

I want double that for that price.

But I guess you can't always get what you want.

Don't see it happening during this generation of SSDs.

2 hours later.

Mikey - 1

Apple PowerMac G5 - 0

They're trying to tell you that only Apple geniuses should work on them.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn! That's sick. I just jumped into this but are you gutting out a mac case and putting pc parts inside?
Yep.

The case itself is one of my most favorite of all time, and made by Lian Li. Should look pretty sweet when it's all said and done.

I'm fairly certain I'm going the radiator route. The difficult part will be creating a system to allow for proper cable management as the back panel can't be removed.

Does anyone here have a Fractal Design Define R4 case? I am debating buying it or the Corsair Carbide 400R. The 400R is only only $69.99 right now, whereas the R4 is $130 or so shipped on newegg.

How much quieter is the R4 than most cases? Does the sound insulating material work? Does keeping the front panel closed limit the cooling ability of the system?

Koroviev

Does anyone here have a Fractal Design Define R4 case? I am debating buying it or the Corsair Carbide 400R. The 400R is only only $69.99 right now, whereas the R4 is $130 or so shipped on newegg.

How much quieter is the R4 than most cases? Does the sound insulating material work? Does keeping the front panel closed limit the cooling ability of the system?

Define R4 is $80 on NCIX right now. That.

bodine1231

Need some help here.

I'm having a problem with my GTX 680. When gaming and sometimes watching VLC the screen will turn black (monitor turns off/on) or the game/movie will pause for a second and when it returns my card runs at half the speed/power % and my frames drop 50%. I have to restart to get back to my default clock.

I've tried setting both the GPU and MEM Clock Offsets to stock (have always kept Power Target at 132 so I'll try lowering that next) and my temperature never goes above 65%. This is a resent i7 build but it's also done this on my 955BE build as well. Could this be PCI Express 3? I've tried everything I can think of.

Windows 7
i7 3570k
AS Rock Extreme 4
8gb Ram
Antec Truepower 750w

Don't forget about programs and games. The 60/64GB "OS drives" are generally lousy compared to the larger drives.

I am kinda contemplating a 64GB SSD drive for just the OS (and I guess a back-up partition of the OS), and then use a 1-4TB Barracuda for programs/media.
I want to go SSD only, but a 256GB Crucial V4 (not even a M4) is £22 more than the above combo and wouldn't really be sufficient (got 189GB used up on this laptop, and that's only because I'm not installing as many games as I would have had I a better computer).

What happens performance wise if you got the OS on an SSD drive, but your programs/games on a regular harddrive?

Koroviev

I am kinda contemplating a 64GB SSD drive for just the OS (and I guess a back-up partition of the OS), and then use a 1-4TB Barracuda for programs/media.
I want to go SSD only, but a 256GB Crucial M4 is £22 more than the above combo and wouldn't really be sufficient (got 189GB used up on this laptop, and that's only because I'm not installing as many games as I would have had I a better computer).

256GB SSD (840 Pro/M4/830) + 1TB WD Caviar Blue

Edit: The OS boots in less than 20s, everything else starts/loads slower. Programs on the SSD open near instantaneously. I wouldn't recommend a drive smaller than 120GB.

GHG

Gold Member
This is what I have so far. I have a few pieces I'm having trouble deciding on or whether or not I need them. Such as the sound card and the network card. Since I'm not a big audiophile shouldn't I not bother with getting a sound card since the Maximus V already has something decent with it? I don't know anything about the network capabilities of the board. I also need help on getting good 5.1 speakers and maybe a headset.

I think the only thing I'm missing are highlighted on the list. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know. By the way, I'm try to go without an optical drive or fan controller.

RAYGESBUILD_zps24254421.png

Good lord.

But to answer your sound question... I'd say you don't need a sound card if you can get a motherboard with a creative sound chip on it. I have a gigabyte one and its ace http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/259/features.htm

I understand that the same creative chips are also on some ASRock Mobo's but from what I've read the Gigabyte ones are superior.

With regards to 5.1 speakers, you'd be best getting an amp + speakers setup. The 5.1 speaker systems built for PC's just don't cut it unfortunately. I got this a few weeks ago (or rather the EU equivalent yht-398) and its been incredible - http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360448693&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+home+theater+system+5.1

kharma45

Need some help here.

I'm having a problem with my GTX 680. When gaming and sometimes watching VLC the screen will turn black (monitor turns off/on) or the game/movie will pause for a second and when it returns my card runs at half the speed/power % and my frames drop 50%. I have to restart to get back to my default clock.

I've tried setting both the GPU and MEM Clock Offsets to stock (have always kept Power Target at 132 so I'll try lowering that next) and my temperature never goes above 65%. This is a resent i7 build but it's also done this on my 955BE build as well. Could this be PCI Express 3? I've tried everything I can think of.

Windows 7
i7 3570k
AS Rock Extreme 4
8gb Ram
Antec Truepower 750w

It's not you saturating PCIe 2 bandwidth, single 680 can't do that.

Tried different set of drivers?

Yep.

The case itself is one of my most favorite of all time, and made by Lian Li. Should look pretty sweet when it's all said and done.

I'm fairly certain I'm going the radiator route. The difficult part will be creating a system to allow for proper cable management as the back panel can't be removed.

As someone who just jumped back into the pc building game after over 10 years of buying box store laptops, I salute you sir!

Hmm, question here, I've got all my parts now, and i'm just plowing through some chores till i can start my build. I noticed that my case doesn't have mounting brackers for a 2.5" SSD, but since it has no moving parts, is it necessary? Should I just grab some double sided tape, or get some velcro to secure it and be on my way?

HD: Crucial M4
Case NZXT Source 210

Koroviev

Hmm, question here, I've got all my parts now, and i'm just plowing through some chores till i can start my build. I noticed that my case doesn't have mounting brackers for a 2.5" SSD, but since it has no moving parts, is it necessary? Should I just grab some double sided tape, or get some velcro to secure it and be on my way?

HD: Crucial M4
Case NZXT Source 210

My 840 Pro is held in place with a single tiny screw. Works great.

So what does everyone think
Asus 7870
The steelseries mouse on the op
And coolermaster mechanical keyboard with keypad. What's the preferred cherry colour

Koroviev

So what does everyone think
Asus 7870
The steelseries mouse on the op
And coolermaster mechanical keyboard with keypad. What's the preferred cherry colour

If you're spending ~$260 on the 7870, you might want to consider stepping up to the $300 Gigabyte 7950.

Several people seem to prefer the CM Spawn to the Steelseries.

I have the CM QuickFire Pro with browns. I like the clicking. However, if you don't do much typing, you might prefer the reds for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom