• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

My first pc build ever. Getting the CPU cooler, RAM, and HDD tomorrow, so those haven't yet been installed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($127.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1396.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-09 02:21 EST-0500)

not so great picture.

Nice! I went for an 8350. Overclocks really well. So far I have it at 4.5Ghz. When I can be bothered I am going to see how far I can take it.

Jex

Now, I realise that the OP states fairly specifically that there is little difference between graphics cards besides support etc but, nevertheless, when I'm looking up a HD7950 there's five different versions on one site alone. Are there makes that are well thought of? Known one's that I should avoid?

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Gibbo

Hey guys, I just purchased the Sound Blaster ZX- but can't seem to get it working correctly for the past 2 hours. During my 5.1 surround test- All i'm hearing are the 2 rear speakers. Any idea what could be wrong with this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
While I love the performance I get out of the 2 reference design MSI 670's, I hate that I can't really OC. I think they just can't handle anything. Not that I can complain since I run anything maxed out at 1080p and am always at 60fps. I'm going to try some Witcher 2 today with ubersampling to see how that holds up.

I think it's finally time to retire the old'e Intel i5-750. Though it's overclocked to 3.9, I feel that it's finally showing it's age and it may be time to go with an i5-3570 or an i7-3770. Some lag here and there and it definitely show signs of chugging if I up settings to maximum on certain games but work wise it still does decently.

So I believe it's time to go shopping with my tax returns =). here's a listing of what I got and what I plan on doing, still not sure on replacing the CPU, suggestions?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.9Ghz (may replace with i5-3570 or i7-3770)
CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 Air Series
Mobo: EVGA P55 SLI Motherobard
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 680
Memory: (2) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4)
PSU: Corsair TX650W
SSD: OCZ Vertex 128GB <--- POS, will be replaced soon. OS Drive.
HDD 1: Western Digital WD Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
HDD 2: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
(Will end up replaced both harddrives with (2) Ssmsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drives.

I may add another GTX 680 to the mix since I have an Auria 27 inch 1440p monitor and I got another one on the way. Driving two 1440p monitors may be a bit to much for one GTX 680.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Was about to say "Kick Ass" and order one but then the sadface demon appeared.

"The promo code EMCYTZT2903 is not active yet. Please check the program details for activation dates."

Yeah it says 9 AM PST is when it's active which I guess is in an hour.

I'm fine with it lasting that long if that is a common case. I generally upgrade my PCs every year or two.

Lanbeast

Was about to say "Kick Ass" and order one but then the sadface demon appeared.

"The promo code EMCYTZT2903 is not active yet. Please check the program details for activation dates."

From the e-mail:
fznMlvh.png

The 840 using TLC flash which will only last 3-5 years. Get an 830 or 840 pro

Ah, bummer. I thought I had read in here before that 840 had some issue or another. Thanks!

kennah

It's only a problem with the 128gig one. The 256 is good for 7 or more years. They are slightly slower than the 830 or the Pro but for most purposes they're more than enough.

Pulled the trigger on the following:

Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Window Case Titanium
Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 900MHZ 3GB (Comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Inf)
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX550M 550W ATX Modular
Samsung SH-224BB 24X SATA
Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit Full

Floating around 1200 if they take a couple of my price matches

Ty4on

It's only a problem with the 128gig one. The 256 is good for 7 or more years. They are slightly slower than the 830 or the Pro but for most purposes they're more than enough.

It get's better, but not as good as 128 MLC and not even near 256 MLC. I agree it's overblown as a regular used should easily get 10+ years with 256GB TLC and by that time the SSD has probably been replaced several times.
Code:
SSD Lifetime Estimation
NAND	                      MLC&#8212;3K P/E Cycles (830/840 Pro)    TLC&#8212;1K P/E Cycles (840)
NAND Capacity	                 128GiB	         256GiB	         128GiB       	 256GiB
Writes per Day	                 10GiB	         10GiB	         10GiB       	 10GiB
Write Amplification	         3x	         3x	         3x	         3x
Total Estimated Lifespan	 35.0 years	 70.1 years	 11.7 years	 23.4 years

garath

It workssssss. Hallelujah lawd!

Unplugged the keyboard and other USB devices. Ran firmware update (again). Installed Engine (again). Completed. Can still move mouse. Wat. Able to get into Engine. Get bold as a motherfucker and plug in the keyboard. Fist clenching. Lights come on. They stay on. I am able to type. Mouse works. No hard lockups. No reboots. We good.

I get a beer. And my face stops looking like my avatar. My Friday isn't ruined by a mouse. SS Engine software can still eat one tho.

Gratz!! Just takes a few tries lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It get's better, but not as good as 128 MLC and not even near 256 MLC. I agree it's overblown as a regular used should easily get 10+ years with 256GB TLC and by that time the SSD has probably been replaced several times.
Code:
SSD Lifetime Estimation
NAND	                      MLC—3K P/E Cycles (830/840 Pro)    TLC—1K P/E Cycles (840)
NAND Capacity	                 128GiB	         256GiB	         128GiB       	 256GiB
Writes per Day	                 10GiB	         10GiB	         10GiB       	 10GiB
Write Amplification	         3x	         3x	         3x	         3x
Total Estimated Lifespan	 35.0 years	 70.1 years	 11.7 years	 23.4 years

Interesting numbers. Glad I went with the 840 pro 256gb SSD.

Jex

I take it from reading the thread and the lack of reply to my earlier query that it doesn't really matter which Radeon HD 7950 I go with, as per the original posts by Hazaro. Then again, it seems like I could go swimming through a multitude of tech review sites.

iavi

Now, I realise that the OP states fairly specifically that there is little difference between graphics cards besides support etc but, nevertheless, when I'm looking up a HD7950 there's five different versions on one site alone. Are there makes that are well thought of? Known one's that I should avoid?

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

The two best 7950's are either Gigabyte's or Sapphire's, from what I boiled it down to when making my decision. Sapphire offers 2 different--the dual X and Vapor x, and gigabyte offers one.

Gigabyte's uses the same Windforce cooler as their well-regarded 670, so it's a damn cool/quiet one, supposedly. Sapphire's dual-x (the one I have) can get pretty loud, but the temps are steller--never hitting over 60c at full load, even when OC'd to 1100/1400; and it does OC like a beast. Sapphire's Vapor X supposedly cools even better, while being quieter, but is said to be voltage locked, which will hamper a good OC should you ever want to do it.

Also, the Sapphire Dual X 7950 has an odd throttling issue. It doesn't seem to like listening to the settings set from any third-party app--afterburner, trixx etc--opting to only really listen to the OC settings set in the horrible Catalsyt control center. It'll throttle down to 850mhz at times, at load, when using the other apps. This may be exclusive to my particuler set-up, though, so who knows.

Dave_6

I just finished building my first PC!!!

...well, kinda. I still need to wait for the PSU and RAM to arrive. But I installed my motherboard, CPU, cooler, GPU, SSD and DVD drive. And once the other two arrive and is out of the way, I just need to install everything and I'm good to go!

It was fun! A little scary when putting in the CPU, and the cooler. I think I put a bit too much thermal paste on it, but it should be fine.

Edit: And here it is :)

Looks good! I love that case. It's still on my short list with a Define R4 and a Prodigy.

Anton668

I take it from reading the thread and the lack of reply to my earlier query that it doesn't really matter which Radeon HD 7950 I go with, as per the original posts by Hazaro. Then again, it seems like I could go swimming through a multitude of tech review sites.

cant go wrong with the Gigabyte. just got mine and loving it so far!

Pulled the trigger on the following:

Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Window Case Titanium
Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 Windforce 900MHZ 3GB (Comes with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Inf)
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX550M 550W ATX Modular
Samsung SH-224BB 24X SATA
Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit Full

Floating around 1200 if they take a couple of my price matches

What ram are you going for? I had the DDR3 1600 Samsung 30nm 1.35v low profile stuff recommended to me. There is a lot of buzz about it, so I'd try to keep that in mind if you're buying new ram.

Looks pretty solid from all the research I've done the past few weeks!

My first pc build ever. Getting the CPU cooler, RAM, and HDD tomorrow, so those haven't yet been installed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($127.00 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1396.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-09 02:21 EST-0500)

not so great picture.

Bad ass 8350 setup. I have this soft spot in my heart for AMD, and I wrestled with myself about going with AMD instead of Intel. The threat of CPU limited games in the future scared me over to Intel, but I just lusted a little bit about your setup.

So how are you liking the case? I just picked one up myself last night after putting it side by side to a CM Storm Trooper.

The soft touch on the Storm Trooper was the only thing that had me questioning not getting it. The Thermaltake seemed like it was more thoughtful in regards to airflow, and I feel like I might use the hot swap HDD dock on the top.

Take more pictures. Mine is still in the box awaiting my 670's. (Monday I hope!!!!!!)

I'm slowly acquiring the parts needed for my next project (Haswell in 900D with 3x 360mm rads). Fittings are expensive so I'll be slowly acquiring them over the next few months. I added a new 90 degree fitting to my current rig to reduce the strain on the tubing/fitting. It also serves to test sizes, clearances and fitting type. I have already learned that fittings that rotate are worth the extra cash. Also the 45 degree from the GPU was only to reduce the odd direction the tubing was taking.

DSC_0033-1_zps7dff4a70.jpg

DSC_0045_zpsb6b412c8.jpg

I used PrimoChill Liquid Utopia for mine and it seems to have worked a treat.

I love the white cables! Did you sleeve them yourself? I've been toying with the idea of sleeving my AX750 cables myself. Just wrapped up purchasing my first build in over 3 years.

Momentary

Banned
This is what I have so far. I have a few pieces I'm having trouble deciding on or whether or not I need them. Such as the sound card and the network card. Since I'm not a big audiophile shouldn't I not bother with getting a sound card since the Maximus V already has something decent with it? I don't know anything about the network capabilities of the board. I also need help on getting good 5.1 speakers and maybe a headset.

I think the only thing I'm missing are highlighted on the list. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know. By the way, I'm try to go without an optical drive or fan controller.

RAYGESBUILD_zps24254421.png

Jex

^^Good lord

The two best 7950's are either Gigabyte's or Sapphire's, from what I boiled it down to when making my decision. Sapphire offers 2 different--the dual X and Vapor x, and gigabyte offers one.

Gigabyte's uses the same Windforce cooler as their well-regarded 670, so it's a damn cool/quiet one, supposedly. Sapphire's dual-x (the one I have) can get pretty loud, but the temps are steller--never hitting over 60c at full load, even when OC'd to 1100/1400; and it does OC like a beast. Sapphire's Vapor X supposedly cools even better, while being quieter, but is said to be voltage locked, which will hamper a good OC should you ever want to do it.

Also, the Sapphire Dual X 7950 has an odd throttling issue. It doesn't seem to like listening to the settings set from any third-party app--afterburner, trixx etc--opting to only really listen to the OC settings set in the horrible Catalsyt control center. It'll throttle down to 850mhz at times, at load, when using the other apps. This may be exclusive to my particuler set-up, though, so who knows.

cant go wrong with the Gigabyte. just got mine and loving it so far!

Thanks folks, I appreciate your insight. I hope to get my original card replaced by the retailer but if not at least I'll know what to do.

I am currently in the process of building a new computer. My last build was a 800 mhx AMD Thunderbird lol, so needless to say it's been a while.

What do you guys suggest for a solid starter gpu from Nvida that I will SLI down the road?

My board and chip: Core™ i7-3770K Processor w/ Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

This is what I have so far. I have a few pieces I'm having trouble deciding on or whether or not I need them. Such as the sound card and the network card. Since I'm not a big audiophile shouldn't I not bother with getting a sound card since the Maximus V already has something decent with it? I don't know anything about the network capabilities of the board. I also need help on getting good 5.1 speakers and maybe a headset.

I think the only thing I'm missing are highlighted on the list. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know. By the way, I'm try to go without an optical drive or fan controller.

RAYGESBUILD_zps24254421.png

HOLY SHIT :O

mkenyon was right about watercooling being a rabbit hole lol

as for the list:

Sound card is not needed unless you really think audio is important (im content once sound comes out)

If you mean wired networks your motherboard should do fine since they will have the option for the usual and gigabit ethernet (due to the 10/100/1000 ethernet port).
If you mean wireless some boards will have it on there but you might have to get a separate thing for that. Some will say to ignore and just go wired since its usually better.

Drop the PSU to something lower since i highly doubt the system will be sucking near to that much power (if you were running a SLI setup then maybe).

Sounds like HDDs are really a ymmv thing now since the old samsung HDDs are rebadged seagates (just the HDDs, the Samsung SSDs are Samsung themselves) and everything else is not that great. Running checks and backups seems to be the name of the game in the effort of keeping safe.

People more qualified (especially with the radiator stuff and its power requirements) can give more advice

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think you all are paranoid about SSD lifespan. So what if they only last 10 years? When have HDDs lasted that long? Put your long term files on RAID. By the time that 500 MB/s SSD dies, there will be 10 GB/s SSDs for the cheap, and 1 Gb/s cloud storage for the cheap.

Koroviev

Hello, GAF.

I need some serious input. I think either my eVGA GTX 670 FTW or my mobo is defective.

I bought the ASUS P8z77-V LK last year after following the previous thread, and I've been having a few issues with it. But I think it's the GPU. Could be both, tho. I'm not sure. Sometimes, while say jumping around on YouTube, I get a graphic driver stopped working/responding error, and have to reboot browser. I cant recall if it's ever happened in-game, but I did have an issue with some games that was related to mobo HD audio that I disabled last year. I'm running audio/video through gpu to tv.

First, I ran memtest (Corsair Vengeance x8) last year overnight, and found no issues.
Ran Heaven DX11, and the eVGA test thing (I'm on laptop atm). No problems.
Updated firmware/drivers on mobo, gpu, browser and everything I could think of. It still happens randomly.

Also. I apparently can't overclock, but I believe I can't OC this mobo anyway, or I'm doing it wrong. Temps are good (cpu0 34, cpu3 40??).

Have you disabled hardware acceleration on videos?

Does anyone know of a place where I can buy desktops? I'm not given an option to build my own. I'll need to know by June.

Why?

I am currently in the process of building a new computer. My last build was a 800 mhx AMD Thunderbird lol, so needless to say it's been a while.

What do you guys suggest for a solid starter gpu from Nvida that I will SLI down the road?

My board and chip: Core™ i7-3770K Processor w/ Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

I would pursue a 670.

Koroviev

Get an open air test bench!

Dremel the interfering part.

I'm working on it today... I have masking tape! Probably going to order the Z77 and the R4 together in a couple of weeks. Unless the R4 is still available by Wednesday. It takes PayPal way too long to transfer funds (yes, I know NCIX accepts PayPal, but I put in a request for a transfer on Wednesday.)

Edit: wait, PayPal might have actually come through for me! :D

mkenyon

Banned

Solid!

You're going to need fans for those radiators too. The SP-120s seem like a no brainer in the 900D.
I think you all are paranoid about SSD lifespan. So what if they only last 10 years? When have HDDs lasted that long? Put your long term files on RAID. By the time that 500 MB/s SSD dies, there will be 10 GB/s SSDs for the cheap, and 1 Gb/s cloud storage for the cheap.
The lifespan on an 840 120GB is 3 years. 6 years for the 256.
I love the white cables! Did you sleeve them yourself? I've been toying with the idea of sleeving my AX750 cables myself. Just wrapped up purchasing my first build in over 3 years.
You can buy unisleeved cables directly from Corsair for the AX series. They're what I use.

whoa has the samsung ram always gone for 8gb/$100~? Or have I always been looking at four gigs for 30~

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059200FY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nope. Price is meeting demand finally. The secret is out!

So I spec'ed out my MAME machine. As I'd mentioned earlier, I'm going to run some PC games like SFIV and anything else that works well with a joystick setup too. Wanted to know what you thought.

MAMEpc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom