• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

I'm more partial to them. I had a Radeon way back in the day and didn't really have a great experience with driver support.

You don't want to bottleneck yourself with the 192-bit bus on the 660/660ti. If you're going to stick with Team Green, then at least get a 670. But again, you will be paying a premium unless you need the technology on offer.

SaintR

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks to you both. In addition, to add to the driver stuff as well. I mean it's been hit or miss for me on amd drivers. Is the rumored more stable drivers nvidia worth taking into consideration?(bad grammar here lol)

From my experience, things are better with Nvidia. Albeit its been a while since I used AMD as my last AMD card was a 5770 (which only lasted 2 weeks before I sent it back because of drivers).

Having said that, from what I hear at the moment AMD have vastly improved things over the last couple of years. You should have minimal issues provided you don't go crossfire.

mkenyon

Banned
Bench complete for now.

7LYf0Doh.jpg

AdZWug0h.jpg

Fm17Frfh.jpg

KsR3uuRh.jpg

Smokey

I got a Xonar DGX sound card earlier today and have been messing with it. BF3 is a verbal assault on my ears. Intensity ramped up x2. Had a big grin on my face while playing. Of course the Sensei Engine was messing up my PC again once this was installed so I just uninstalled it and left it off for good.

Any recommendations on headphones to take advantage of the card?

Edit: Didn't realize a section was added for that in the OP.

SaintR

From my experience, things are better with Nvidia. Albeit its been a while since I used AMD as my last AMD card was a 5770 (which only lasted 2 weeks before I sent it back because of drivers).

Having said that, from what I hear at the moment AMD have vastly improved things over the last couple of years. You should have minimal issues provided you don't go crossfire.
Sounds good to me. I doubt I would crossfire/sli, not enough time in my life to tinker with certains aspects of pc gaming unfortunately. Thanks again to you all of you for the quick responses.
And mckenyon that looks awesome!

Anything from Corsair or Seasonic.

Just sprung for a SeaSonic SS-660XP 660W after reading a really positive review of it on HardOCP. Really looking forward to the hybrid mode. I transferred my PC to a new case (Silverstone TJ08-E) a few weeks ago and now my PC is on my desk so keeping it silent is quite important to me. Except when I'm gaming of course, then I have headphones on.

You don't want to bottleneck yourself with the 192-bit bus on the 660/660ti. If you're going to stick with Team Green, then at least get a 670. But again, you will be paying a premium unless you need the technology on offer.

Is there going to be a price drop on them soon with the new $900 card coming out? Can't afford a 670 at the moment.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys,

In your estimation, will we be able to overlock the Haswell processor to 5.0Ghz on any of the Corsair watercooler systems(H-80, H-100, etc)? I'm currently on an Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz running a Corsair H-70. Temps are good but I really REALLY want a PC with a chip that can reach 5.0Ghz or at LEAST 4.9Ghz relatively easily without stability issues. Would are your thoughts? Haswell the way to go?

mkenyon

Banned
Guys,

In your estimation, will we be able to overlock the Haswell processor to 5.0Ghz on any of the Corsair watercooler systems(H-80, H-100, etc)? I'm currently on an Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz running a Corsair H-70. Temps are good but I really REALLY want a PC with a chip that can reach 5.0Ghz or at LEAST 4.9Ghz relatively easily without stability issues. Would are your thoughts? Haswell the way to go?
No one knows yet.

It's doable on Ivy if you delid it, put some Cool Laboratory liquid pro in there and put the heat spreader back on.

You also need to spend a good amount of money on a solid motherboard to get you there.

Hey guys, my OC'd Sapphire 7950 makes some big noises when I play more demanding games. (currently 1100/1400Mhz)

I knew it usually makes low churning sounds in easy games such as Dota 2 or Dues Ex, but games like CS:GO and Sleeping Dogs makes it behave differently.
I was suspecting it may just be the fans spinning too fast... it is definitely related to the fans.

n0n44m

Bench complete for now.

nice !

I got a Xonar DGX sound card earlier today and have been messing with it. BF3 is a verbal assault on my ears. Intensity ramped up x2. Had a big grin on my face while playing. Of course the Sensei Engine was messing up my PC again once this was installed so I just uninstalled it and left it off for good.

Any recommendations on headphones to take advantage of the card?

Edit: Didn't realize a section was added for that in the OP.

follow this guide !

to install the Uni Xonar drivers I had to use safe mode, but everything was smooth after that :)

and don't forget to turn off Enhanced Stereo in BF3 when playing with Dolby Headphone

DTKT

Does the Xonar DGX really makes a difference regarding sound quality? I have a Senheiser 350 so it might be worth it to get a dedicated sound card with a built-in amplifier.

I assume that it just needs a PCIE slot, and the it could be X8 or X18?

n0n44m

Does the Xonar DGX really makes a difference regarding sound quality? I have a a Senheiser 350 so it might be worth it to get a dedicated sound card with a built-in amplifier.

I assume that it just needs a PCIE slot, and the it could be X8 or X18?

no just a simple X1 slot, so the really small one

as for the sound ... well the headphone output is probably better in quality than pretty much any onboard card

the headphone amp is a nice feature if you haven't got an amp yet and have headphones that could benefit from it, but don't expect wonders from it if you're using low-ohm headphones. I guess the 350 could benefit somewhat ... not an audiophile though :p

the main reason I got it was the seriously low price and the Dolby Headphone which makes a huge difference for me personally. Look on youtube for some examples and see if you like the effect, because it can be somewhat personal.

If you just want a card with a good headphone output and Dolby Headphone for a low price the Xonar DGX is king. If you have quality speakers as well or a (analog) receiver+home cinema connected you'll probably want a more expensive Xonar card

So I had some extra reward zone certificates from all the stuff I bought people for Christmas, and on a whim I started looking a monitors.

I am using a 25" Hannspree TN panel right now that exhibits really bad lighting uniformity. I get this triangle of intensity coming from the backlights that is really distracting in low lighting gaming.

Well, I am considering replacing my 25" with 3x 21.5" IPS panels. I just so happen to look at an HP Pavilion 22bw IPS Panel That really stood out to me in both picture quality and the fact that it's bezel felt a LOT smaller than the other displays.

What also supprised me was the price at only $179.99.

Anyone feel as tho I could do better in this price range for a multiple monitor IPS setup? I'm putting a lot of value on thin bezels, picture quality, and price. For size, I feel a 3x 21.5" setup is perfect for my desktop. I could stand to go bigger, but I feel as tho price will get away from me at larger screen sizes. To be completely honest it might just be the pixel density of 1080p on a 21.5" that sold me on this particular monitor.

There looks to be a plethora of monitor choices in the OP but most are 23" and most seem to be TN panels.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is Intel going to release an Ivy Bridge extreme or Haswell extreme whatever?

There will be at least a couple more socket 2011 CPU's. I just got my 3930k but would not hesitate on an Ivy Bridge equivalent come next year if the price is right.

So dudes, I've got a 7970 ghz, a i7 2500k and 8 gb ram. Is my processor going to bottleneck my card or am I good? Is the ram good? I've heard theres no need for over 8 yet. Shooting for 1080p max settings.

So dudes, I've got a 7970 ghz, a i7 2500k and 8 gb ram. Is my processor going to bottleneck my card or am I good? Is the ram good? I've heard theres no need for over 8 yet. Shooting for 1080p max settings.

Is that an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k? Either way, as said above, if you have an overclock on that you're set for a while, especially at 1080p.

Koroviev

So I had some extra reward zone certificates from all the stuff I bought people for Christmas, and on a whim I started looking a monitors.

I am using a 25" Hannspree TN panel right now that exhibits really bad lighting uniformity. I get this triangle of intensity coming from the backlights that is really distracting in low lighting gaming.

Well, I am considering replacing my 25" with 3x 21.5" IPS panels. I just so happen to look at an HP Pavilion 22bw IPS Panel That really stood out to me in both picture quality and the fact that it's bezel felt a LOT smaller than the other displays.

Anyone feel as tho I could do better in this price range for a multiple monitor IPS setup? I'm putting a lot of value on thin bezels, picture quality, and price. For size, I feel a 3x 21.5" setup is perfect for my desktop. I could stand to go bigger, but I feel as tho price will get away from me at larger screen sizes. To be completely honest it might just be the pixel density of 1080p on a 21.5" that sold me on this particular monitor.

There looks to be a plethora of monitor choices in the OP but most are 23" and most seem to be TN panels.

I avoid HP products like the plague, but if it seems to suit your needs and you're basically getting it for free, then do it.

kennah

We won't know until the future happens but unless you want to go through the rabbit hole (120hz, tri monitor or ubersampling) you should be good for another few years.

LiquidMetal14

I think the 2500k I just sold would have lasted me into next gen. The only real thing I regret was not having hyperthreading but that's a sort of nitpick. I had mine a 4.8ghz just like I got my Sandy Bridge-E except the E is not a compromise like I made with my 2500k :p

PC Speaker question

What is a good speaker set for 50 or less than I can hook up my PC and PS3/360 to?

Seems like 50 or less is low but maybe 90 or less.

mkenyon

Banned

A lot of the monitors in the OP are IPS. Look at the various ASUS monitors. VG23AH is the best inexpensive IPS out there.

I say get a 120hz monitor over IPS at that size though. Get one 120hz monitor and an IPS to use as a secondary monitor if you are leaning that way for photoshop type work.

A lot of the monitors in the OP are IPS. Look at the various ASUS monitors. VG23AH is the best inexpensive IPS out there.

I say get a 120hz monitor over IPS at that size though. Get one 120hz monitor and an IPS to use as a secondary monitor if you are leaning that way for photoshop type work.

Not a bad idea. You've not steered me wrong yet. I'll continue to pound the OP a little harder (I googled like 5 of them and they were all TN, I didn't go in depth on the full lineups.)

120hz is the real deal compared to an IPS for gaming? I really wish I could see some of the better examples of the 120hz stuff.

All that being said, I've never done a 3 monitor setup. I am doing 670's in SLI. Will I need anything other than 3 DVI-D cables for the monitors?

kennah

Ok, I know everyone has been on the edge of their seat (for me to shut up about this). Had a good talk with the wife tonight and she has come around to my way of thinking.

Here's the final parts list.

CPU: i5-2550k
Motherboard: P8Z77-I Deluxe
RAM: Samsung 8GIG Green
Video: EVGA 670 FTW 4Gig
Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Orange
OS SSD: OCZ Vertex4 60gig (already have)
Games HDD: 500gig WD 7200RPM (already have)
Media HDD1: 1tb WD 5400RPM (already have)
Media HDD2: 320gig WD 5400RPM 2.5" (already have)
PSU: Antec HCG-520M (already have)
Cooling: Hyper 212 (going to eventually upgrade to water once all the HDDS are SSDS)

Going to attempt no optical. Can't ruin that pretty orange face. (and there is no way to get my Pioneer Slot-Load DVD into there)

So I want this get this GPU and I have this case. The thing is that it's 10.5 inches from the back of the case to the drive cages, but the GPU os 11.4 inches. However, I measured the drive cage and the GPU should still fit in my case if I were to have about an inch of it inside the cage. I just would like to know if that's fine for me to do.

Smokey

Not a bad idea. You've not steered me wrong yet. I'll continue to pound the OP a little harder (I googled like 5 of them and they were all TN, I didn't go in depth on the full lineups.)

120hz is the real deal compared to an IPS for gaming? I really wish I could see some of the better examples of the 120hz stuff.

All that being said, I've never done a 3 monitor setup. I am doing 670's in SLI. Will I need anything other than 3 DVI-D cables for the monitors?

As long as you have the equipment to take advantage of it, it is great. If you play a lot of MP games this is the way to go. If you're more of the graphics whore type and play SP more than MP, IPS all the way. The colors and IQ look so much better on a IPS panel IMO.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Reencoding blu-rays takes so long...

Is there any software that uses GPUs somehow?

lmpaler

I was looking at the 3GB Radeon HD 7950 cards. How does one choose between the different manufacturers?

My personal preference is Sapphire or XFX because in the past they made great products and if anything went south, they both had great return policies and customer service(XFX I have more of a second hand account because of a few friends who purchased their cards).

LiquidMetal14

Anyone ever OC a reference 670? I can't get hardly anything out of it. I mean, even if it means only a 50mhz core OC, I would take it but I haven't touched OC'ing in days and the GPU's run perfect but as soon as I put a modest OC, temps don't go too crazy but I think I need to feed it volts or what? Something I've never done is overvolting but any tips would be helpful.

Threi

notag
Upgraded from a Phenom II X4 920 to a i3 3220 a couple days ago, pretty impressed with the little thing. For two cores (plus HT) it really gets stuff done. Rather interesting considering that despite the fact that it beats the pants off nearly every AMD cpu (pre-piledriver) it doesn't seem to get much recommendations, due to the fact that at some pre-determined time in the future everything will suddenly require 4 real cores and it will be rendered irrelevant (which is probably true but i don't see that happening for a loooong while)

kennah

Upgraded from a Phenom II X4 920 to a i3 3220 a couple days ago, pretty impressed with the little thing. For two cores (plus HT) it really gets stuff done. Rather interesting considering that despite the fact that it beats the pants off nearly every AMD cpu (pre-piledriver) it doesn't seem to get much recommendations, due to the fact that at some pre-determined time in the future everything will suddenly require 4 real cores and it will be rendered irrelevant (which is probably true but i don't see that happening for a loooong while)
It's recommended in the OP and we try to steer Amd minded people towards it :)

Threi

notag
It's recommended in the OP and we try to steer Amd minded people towards it :)
Well the thing is I am seeing more and more people recommend an am3+ board + fx-6300, but most of the debate and reasoning is for hypothetical situations in the future. It makes sense, but i think it kinda takes away from the fact that the i3 is still a great chip, especially considering the price.

Kinda reminds me of the Prescott vs Athlon 64 days

AkIRA_22

I love the white cables! Did you sleeve them yourself? I've been toying with the idea of sleeving my AX750 cables myself. Just wrapped up purchasing my first build in over 3 years.

Thanks mate, I didn't do them myself, they are the bitfenix extensions. They are absolutely fantastic, a nice soft braid, not the plastic crap from NZXT.

My next upgrade will have a AX-860i PSU with the white cable kit. This is to cut cabling (you DO NOT want to see the current routing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom