• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Okay, finally ordered the windowless R4. I don't want to deal with a scuffed window. Simple decisions are going to be the death of me, I swear.

Momentary

Banned
Solid!

You're going to need fans for those radiators too. The SP-120s seem like a no brainer in the 900D.

I was thinking about going with corsairs 1100 rpm fans,AF120. Will having push pull on each radiator provide enough cooling? I've got 18 of them on my spreadsheet. I was thinking about going with the 1650rpm. I'm wondering if that would be too loud.

Drop the PSU to something lower since i highly doubt the system will be sucking near to that much power (if you were running a SLI setup then maybe).

Yeah I'm doing 2 Titans, but I was trying to find a Seasonic Platinum at 860watts. Only thing above their 770 was the 1000 and it was only 30 more bucks than the AX860 so I said screw it.

fader

besides its grotesque design, is Windows 8 optimal for gaming? or should I just use Windows 7? I thoguht I remember someone saying it was faster or something.

mkenyon

Banned
I was thinking about going with corsairs 1100 rpm fans,AF120. Will having push pull on each radiator provide enough cooling? I've got 18 of them on my spreadsheet.

Yeah I'm doing 2 Titans, but I was trying to find a Seasonic Platinum at 860watts. Only thing above their 770 was the 1000 and it was only 30 more bucks than the AX860 so I said screw it.
AF = case fan, SP = radiator/heatsink fan. Go for the SP quiet editions.

Koroviev

besides its grotesque design, is Windows 8 optimal for gaming? or should I just use Windows 7? I thoguht I remember someone saying it was faster or something.

Grotesque design? Remove all desktop icons and start screen tiles and it's very minimalist. I like it, but a lot of benchmarking software is incompatible.

Edit: speaking of Windows 8, is the software required for stress testing compatible?

2San

So does any know when the refreshes are coming for the 120Hz monitors of Samsung/Asus? I'm interested in getting one, but I have a hard time finding them. Wanted to get a new GPU, but with ATI waiting till next year, I'm opting for a 120Hz monitor instead.

Btw what works better for 1080p@120fps, display port or dual DVI? I have 6950 btw, which has a mini display port and 2 DVI ports(DMC4 should be 120fps xD).

Koroviev

So does any know when the refreshes are coming for the 120Hz monitors of Samsung/Asus? I'm interested in getting one, but I have a hard time finding them.

Btw what works better for 1080p@120fps, display port or dual DVI? I have 6950 btw(DMC4 should be 120fps xD).

I was able to get a used Asus for $220. I'll update on the condition once I've received it, but I don't suppose the new ones are going to be nearly as inexpensive.

Momentary

Banned
The case might come with some AF equivalents.

Yeah. I was reading about it coming with fans. I'm waiting until after I get my case to finalize a lot of things.

So far I can knock off sound card and network card off of my list. What's the thing now for speakers?

Also, someone suggested a type of thermal paste to use on the blocks a few days ago, but I can't find what it was.

2San

I was able to get a used Asus for $220. I'll update on the condition once I've received it, but I don't suppose the new ones are going to be nearly as inexpensive.
Maybe I should hit up ebay as well. Didn't think of that. Getting a decent 120Hz monitor for 200 something euro's would be nice.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be anything in my area(the Netherlands). Seems like the Asus one in the OP doesn't have audio out. The Samsung ones seem like the best fit for me, but I can't find them. :|

Zeth

Okay, finally ordered the windowless R4. I don't want to deal with a scuffed window. Simple decisions are going to be the death of me, I swear.

I love the R4, also have the windowless (by accident basically) but I'm very happy with it. So clean.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. I was reading about it coming with fans. I'm waiting until after I get my case to finalize a lot of things.

So far I can knock off sound card and network card off of my list. What's the thing now for speakers?

Also, someone suggested a type of thermal paste to use on the blocks a few days ago, but I can't find what it was.
Headphones are the thing to go for these days. OP has some good suggestions and links.
Might 8-core PC CPUs benefit from cross-platform development on the 8-core consoles coming out soon?
No. The console CPUs aren't functionally 8 cores.

So...I think I just built my first PC...

1jrs4k8.jpg

It took me a couple of hours, mainly because I was trying to be as careful as possible...and I was trying to get some sort of order to the cables (to no avail). The real culprit of those hours was me being an idiot and not realizing that the power switch to the tower was not connected at all. I was almost sure I had damaged something or something was a dud...but man, that feeling I got when I hit the power button and the power supply, video card, and cooling fan kicked on. I think they called it a Yee-haw moment. Or a "Fuck yeah" moment.

But thanks to those that gave me help on building this (even though it only amounted to 'Does this look okay?') and thanks to this thread for existing. I needed a project to take on...and this made me feel awesome.

kennah

1jrs4k8.jpg

It took me a couple of hours, mainly because I was trying to be as careful as possible...and I was trying to get some sort of order to the cables (to no avail). The real culprit of those hours was me being an idiot and not realizing that the power switch to the tower was not connected at all. I was almost sure I had damaged something or something was a dud...but man, that feeling I got when I hit the power button and the power supply, video card, and cooling fan kicked on. I think they called it a Yee-haw moment. Or a "Fuck yeah" moment.

But thanks to those that gave me help on building this (even though it only amounted to 'Does this look okay?') and thanks to this thread for existing. I needed a project to take on...and this made me feel awesome.

This post should be in the OP.

Welcome to a dangerous expensive world :)

Ty4on

A computer with a single purpose...
Drive tray goes in, drive tray comes out. Can't explain that!

I did. I wasn't aware that the i3-3220 was about the same at the FX-6300. Am now though.

Bulldozer/Piledriver + mATX/ITX also just doesn't work. They all have low low end power delivery and those CPUs need a lot of power. Think an 8XXX will flat out throttle on that mobo.

Jex

1jrs4k8.jpg

Congrats man

the bold: Stuff like that happens to the best of us so don't feel bad :p

I basically asked the same question earlier and after a bit of googling found a very long thread on the subject: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713333

I'm personally going to go for the Gigabyte.

Awesome thanks, I mean really at this point it's just minor pros and con's it seems. Are you getting in on the 2 free games deal that most video cards seem to boast these days.

I think it's Crysis 3 and Bioshock I

1jrs4k8.jpg

Congrats!

How much did the set up set you back?

This post should be in the OP.

Welcome to a dangerous expensive world :)

"Damn you GAF for making me spend money that was totally worth doing!"

Congrats man

the bold: Stuff like that happens to the best of us so don't feel bad :p

"It's funny because when I opened up the front panel to the tower, I saw a loose cable behind the piece that looked like it needed to get connected to something, and I go, 'Hmm...that looks interesting. OOH, look at that I/O panel'"

Congrats!

How much did the set up set you back?

"Umm...I want to say around $650 altogether. Some pieces I bought online and paid for one-day shipping...because I was excited. And other parts I bought at Micro Center (The Processor, Motherboard and Hard Drive)"

I noticed that the Corsair Carbide 400R case was removed from the recommended build lists. Is there a reason for this? I am beginning to put together my build list and just wanted input on a good $80 - $120 case. :)

The 400R is on sale right now for $79.99 shipped right now.

edit: actually $69.99 with the additional visa prepaid card.

What ram are you going for? I had the DDR3 1600 Samsung 30nm 1.35v low profile stuff recommended to me. There is a lot of buzz about it, so I'd try to keep that in mind if you're buying new ram.

Looks pretty solid from all the research I've done the past few weeks!

haha nice catch! Actually forgot ram, Samsung ram seems to be non-existent here in Canada so went with Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600

The Samsung RAM has gotten insanely expensive. I got 2x4 GB for $35 shipped around mid-December, and it actually got as low as $31.50 with a coupon code at Newegg at one point shortly after I bought it. It's unbeatable at the $40 or less price, but with it getting closer to $80+, I just cannot see justifying it anymore, unless you need the low-profile that it offers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The Samsung RAM has gotten insanely expensive. I got 2x4 GB for $35 shipped around mid-December, and it actually got as low as $31.50 with a coupon code at Newegg at one point shortly after I bought it. It's unbeatable at the $40 or less price, but with it getting closer to $80+, I just cannot see justifying it anymore, unless you need the low-profile that it offers.

More important than that are the speeds it achieves while maintaining stability on performance and temp. 2133@1.5v and never see them get hotter than 35c. Amazing. I'm running quad channel on an X79 Sabertooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom