• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

For those in Canada Memory Express has the CM Quickfire with Cherry Blue on sale for $65 before a $10 rebate. I'm kinda tempted but figure it would be too loud to use after everyone goes to bed (when most of my gaming takes place)

Koroviev

For those in Canada Memory Express has the CM Quickfire with Cherry Blue on sale for $65 before a $10 rebate. I'm kinda tempted but figure it would be too loud to use after everyone goes to bed (when most of my gaming takes place)

Yeah, stick with browns if you want clickyness without disturbing other humans who don't appreciate clickyness.

kennah

Stoopad hoomans ruin everything.

So took out the tape measure this morning.

Evga 670 is 10"

Clearance in my case is ... 10.5". Might have to remove the hard drive cage.

Or buy a new case

kennah

I have five and can't afford to replace them with SSDs :(. Though it's coming and slowly. System is getting replaced on this forthcoming upgrade and in a few months I'll grab a 256gig for games.

Koroviev

I have five and can't afford to replace them with SSDs :(. Though it's coming and slowly. System is getting replaced on this forthcoming upgrade and in a few months I'll grab a 256gig for games.

256GB SSD for OS + programs, 1TB HDD for data. That is until the 512GB drives become more affordable.

DocSeuss

Stoopad hoomans ruin everything.

So took out the tape measure this morning.

Evga 670 is 10"

Clearance in my case is ... 10.5". Might have to remove the hard drive cage.

Or buy a new case

Buy a new case. Get a Fractal Design R4 XL.

It is the humpingestly good case you will ever own.

lmpaler

So after careful consideration and usage of this thread and the internet, I think I have the perfect build for me, but of course any suggestions to make it better while keeping it in the budget is helpful.

Link to build using PC Part Picker

Your Current Specs: Laptop w. dual core and HD5400 Mobile series, intended for school and light gaming
Budget: $1500-$1600, USA
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 2
Monitor Resolution: 1080P on my 46" Samung PLasma HDTV
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60fps+ due to 60Hz TV, I won't Vsync
Looking to reuse any parts?: Wireless mouse and keyboard combo I have laying around for now.
When will you build?: When I get my tax return, roughly early March
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

I opted for the 7950's in CF over the 7970's due to price. This build is technically over budget before rebates, but that is okay. Researching the performance of the 7950 and 7970 in CF I found them performance margin not enough for me to justify the extra $200 total cost.

I'm looking to upgrade from a gimped GTX 460 (768mb) to a 660. Should I go ahead and pick it up now, or wait until a price drop when the next generation hits shelves?

kennah

Everyone has the capacity to be objectively wrong. It's okay.

1bdbe4f3_11-129-091-TS.jpeg

Now that's what I'm talking about

Yep.

The case itself is one of my most favorite of all time, and made by Lian Li. Should look pretty sweet when it's all said and done.

I'm fairly certain I'm going the radiator route. The difficult part will be creating a system to allow for proper cable management as the back panel can't be removed.

...Do you take build commissions, perchance? There's a concept I've wanted to try out, but I don't have the resources or time to challenge it.

Just asking for personal reference, as it wouldn't be something I'm set on asking about in the immediate future.

Momentary

Banned
Good lord.

But to answer your sound question... I'd say you don't need a sound card if you can get a motherboard with a creative sound chip on it. I have a gigabyte one and its ace http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/259/features.htm

I understand that the same creative chips are also on some ASRock Mobo's but from what I've read the Gigabyte ones are superior.

With regards to 5.1 speakers, you'd be best getting an amp + speakers setup. The 5.1 speaker systems built for PC's just don't cut it unfortunately. I got this a few weeks ago (or rather the EU equivalent yht-398) and its been incredible - http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360448693&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+home+theater+system+5.1

Oh hell yeah. This just got put on the list. Thanks ALOT!

mkenyon

Banned
...Do you take build commissions, perchance? There's a concept I've wanted to try out, but I don't have the resources or time to challenge it.

Just asking for personal reference, as it wouldn't be something I'm set on asking about in the immediate future.
Sure!

The market is fairly saturated with people offering those types of services, so I've only done it for myself (getting sponsorships), or friends because I just enjoy the hobby side of it.

If something is over my head though, I can definitely point you in the right direction.

SaintR

First and foremost, thanks to all you guys for a great thread. I got all my parts according to the op and all the advice throughout the months readily available here. So I come here for more advice from you guys. I'm looking to upgrade from a 2gb radeon 6950 and I'm looking at what would be a beneficial upgrade. It's been a great card but its been showing its age on a few games. I game mostly at 1080p but I would like to be able to upgrade to a 1400p monitor( wife and kid make it a bit hard :)). What do you guys think? Thanks again

Koroviev

First and foremost, thanks to all you guys for a great thread. I got all my parts according to the op and all the advice throughout the months readily available here. So I come here for more advice from you guys. I'm looking to upgrade from a 2gb radeon 6950 and I'm looking at what would be a beneficial upgrade. It's been a great card but its been showing its age on a few games. I game mostly at 1080p but I would like to be able to upgrade to a 1400p monitor( wife and kid make it a bit hard :)). What do you guys think? Thanks again

$300 3GB 7950 seems like the best deal to me atm.

I want to build a new pc but gonna wait for Ivy Bridge E for 3d max. I hope it's an 8 core. Sucks with all the GPus delay. I might just get an old one and wait for maxwell to release.

Koroviev

Thanks for the quick reply. I was also thinking along those lines after checking a few benchmarks. I have $450 available to me so I was wondering if a 7970 or 670 would be a better jump.

Afaik, the 670 performs on par with the 7950, but it's worth the extra cash if you need CUDA. I think you can overclock the 7950 to rival the 7970, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom