• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Speaking of monitors, has anyone got one of those 2560x1440 120hz monitors over at 120hz.net? Seems like the best of both worlds if you've got the hardware.

lol, I was just given the hard facts on those. Not true 120hz, and die out fast due to the OC.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So I have been debating what to do with upgrading my videocard and I was thinking about doing an SLI 560 set up (as i already have 1 560 TI Card) but my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3) did not include an SLI bridge/link. Do I need that link and if so, anyone know where can I buy one? Or do you think its a better deal to upgrade to a faster one card solution like the 670 or 680?

kharma45

So I have been debating what to do with upgrading my videocard and I was thinking about doing an SLI 560 set up (as i already have 1 560 TI Card) but my Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3) did not include an SLI bridge/link. Do I need that link and if so, anyone know where can I buy one? Or do you think its a better deal to upgrade to a faster one card solution like the 670 or 680?

Upgrade to a new single card instead like a 670 or 7950/7970.

Less power use, less heat, better performance, no microstutter.

Looking to get into the multiple monitor game. Probably start with 2 24". Right now I'm rocking an Acer s27hl. Would be great if I could rock two 27" screens but that might be too much.

Any suggestions?

Koroviev

Looking to get into the multiple monitor game. Probably start with 2 24". Right now I'm rocking an Acer s27hl. Would be great if I could rock two 27" screens but that might be too much.

Any suggestions?

I wouldn't pursue 27" monitors at 1080p. Too poor in terms of pixel density.

HoosTrax

This Sony Playstation Meeting stream is putting my PC-purchase on a hold :p
Really? Because it's giving me an upgrade itch instead.

I kind of want to go back to ASUS next gen though. I've been kind of meh on the layout of my current MSI board. The SATA locations are horrific for one.

Edit: And I also find regular ATX a bit gratuitous, so will seriously considering going back to mATX now that ASUS has ROG boards of that size.

mkenyon

Banned
Care to clarify? The people who bought seem to be happy.
The panel's max refresh rate is right around 90Hz. The control board can be OC'd to receive a 120Hz signal, but that's not what is actually being displayed. In addition to this, there's all sorts of strange flickering, stuttering, and artifact-esque stuff that will appear. It just doesn't look right if you compare it to a panel made for 120Hz.

As for the dying out early, just need to do a bit of digging. There aren't a lot of "after 6 months with overclocked IPS, I'm still happy" type of reports. People just don't make posts like that in general, which is where people can be lead wrong if they find a bunch of bad reports, as that's the only time folks are driven to make posts about their experience. However, in most forums, there weren't very many people defending their 120Hz Korean IPS screens.

I was an inch away from ordering one of those Overlord displays, but a flood of bad experiences and discussions about them made me steer clear. One day soon, hopefully. Not now though.

So GAF, I want to try 120Hz for a few months for teh lulz. I'm looking at the BenQ XL2411T - Is that range still considered some of the best 120Hz monitors or did something else pop up? I don't want to spend too much on it, just for some throwaway testing. Oh and I don't care about 3D, at all.

Yes the BenQ is supposedly the best out there right now apparently with less input lag than the Asus VG248QE (both use the same 1ms panel). I have one on order, should be coming in a couple of weeks or so. Eager to find out just how it stacks up to my Viewsonic CRT (1600 x 1200 @100hz). Bracing for the shit colours and IQ!

Warning: high refresh and low input lag will forever change your gaming life... I have a 60" Kuro and I can't stand playing games on that thing anymore... No matter how high the (downsampled) IQ, the input lag and 60hz kills it for me. Like someone said (Koroviev?), going back to 60hz from 120hz feels like you're remote controlling your PC. Granted, my DAC might have added to the input lag as well. Before soon you might just be turning down that res and AA to get 8.3ms frametime!

diamount

Banned
The panel's max refresh rate is right around 90Hz. The control board can be OC'd to receive a 120Hz signal, but that's not what is actually being displayed. In addition to this, there's all sorts of strange flickering, stuttering, and artifact-esque stuff that will appear. It just doesn't look right if you compare it to a panel made for 120Hz.

As for the dying out early, just need to do a bit of digging. There aren't a lot of "after 6 months with overclocked IPS, I'm still happy" type of reports. People just don't make posts like that in general, which is where people can be lead wrong if they find a bunch of bad reports, as that's the only time folks are driven to make posts about their experience. However, in most forums, there weren't very many people defending their 120Hz Korean IPS screens.

I was an inch away from ordering one of those Overlord displays, but a flood of bad experiences and discussions about them made me steer clear. One day soon, hopefully. Not now though.

Ah crap, sounds a bit too risky then. God... it's either higher resolution or a higher refresh rate.

Koroviev

Yes the BenQ is supposedly the best out there right now apparently with less input lag than the Asus VG248QE (both use the same 1ms panel). I have one on order, should be coming in a couple of weeks or so. Eager to find out just how it stacks up to my Viewsonic CRT (1600 x 1200 @100hz). Bracing for the shit colours and IQ!

Warning: high refresh and low input lag will forever change your gaming life... I have a 60" Kuro and I can't stand playing games on that thing anymore... No matter how high the (downsampled) IQ, the input lag and 60hz kills it for me. Like someone said (Koroviev?), going back to 60hz from 120hz feels like you're remote controlling your PC. Granted, my DAC might have added to the input lag as well. Before soon you might just be turning down that res and AA to get 8.3ms frametime!

Yep. Anything to increase responsiveness.

I'm currently running an EVGA GTX 560 ti 448 classified and am thinking about upgrading to either the GTX 670 or the Radeon 7970. Is it worth making the jump at this point for future games or is there a better option coming in the near future?

Just installed a new PSU (Corsair AX750) cos the Seasonic I got was squeaking like crazy. Runs fantastically quiet!

Also installed my new 7970 Windforce, a nice upgrade over my reference 560Ti. Installed Crysis 3 and played some of the first level. FPS is definitely all over the place. Currently playing with FXAA, Very High, no vync and get pretty good performance. Does anyone know what's a particularly taxing setting and whether or not SMAA is faster than FXAA?

Koroviev

I'm currently running an EVGA GTX 560 ti 448 classified and am thinking about upgrading to either the GTX 670 or the Radeon 7970. Is it worth making the jump at this point for future games or is there a better option coming in the near future?

Nope, we won't be seeing a batch of new cards until the end of this year.

Touch

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't get my 212 Evo tension plate to line up with the standoffs. Z77 Extreme4. It's off just a little to the point where I can't screw it down.

Asked for help regarding cards a few pages back and decided to go with a 660 ti. Is dropping the extra 20-30 dollars worth it for a 3gb version when im just going for single monitor gaming?

I thought this might be of interest to some of you. It definitely took me by surprise.
7d31c35c_proz.jpeg
AMD's piledriver processors seem to excel with Crysis 3. Another test by PCGamesHardware.de shows the AMD processors in an even more favorable light.

A week or two ago I was complaining about my 40 GB SSD filling up (I use it for W7 basically exclusively). Since then, I moved MS Office to my other, larger SSD, which was really handy for clearing up some space, but I'm still trying to trim back some more fat. I have about 4-5 GB free out of 37 usable, so that's not terrible, but not great either.

I did notice one other thing after using WinDirStat; nVidia is taking up a lot of my SSD space. In C:/NVIDIA I see older versions of drivers, each taking up about 250 MB. I read elsewhere that I can safely delete these old versions (especially since I've been using the latest drivers for a while now and haven't had any issue or need to rollback). Can GAF verify that it's OK to delete the old driver folders? That'll net me 500 MB of space.

Then, I also noticed that C:/Program Files/nVidia Corporation is almost 2 GB. About 1.6 GB of that is in an Installer2 folder. My reading online suggests it can be safely removed; again, can anyone on GAF back me up on this? I'm not absolutely dying for extra space, but every bit would help.

Thanks!

bro1

Banned
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't get my 212 Evo tension plate to line up with the standoffs. Z77 Extreme4. It's off just a little to the point where I can't screw it down.

You have the back plate on, correct? With X shaped tension plate extended, push down on the tension screws until the first one lines up and screw it in until it catches. Do this for the other 3, doing opposite ends. It's not as simple as the stock cooler since there is some play with each tension screw, you have to pull it into position and push down while you screw.

Touch

You have the back plate on, correct? With X shaped tension plate extended, push down on the tension screws until the first one lines up and screw it in until it catches. Do this for the other 3, doing opposite ends. It's not as simple as the stock cooler since there is some play with each tension screw, you have to pull it into position and push down while you screw.
I have everything on and in the right socket. I think I found the issue. One of the screws on the tension plate just won't move at all. The other three can slide up and down a little. Not sure how I can get it to break free.

I dropped a back plate nut behind my desk so I gave up for the night. :lol Put the stock cooler on just for the time being. Going to give the 212 another go later after I sleep. Everything else seems to be working. My bios temp is at 42c and everything is reading okay to my knowledge. Still trying to decide if I want to run Windows 7 or 8.

Ledsen

Any chance of TV:s going real, actual 120 hz anytime soon? Would love to shoot for 120 hz but I'm not going back to anything smaller than my 46" TV for my PC gaming.

Touch

Couldn't sleep without getting this done right. Finally got my 212 Evo to fit in and work. Yay!

I do have a A6 error on the board. Manual says that's SCSI Detect. What's does that mean exactly? Will it be resolved with installing an OS?

Any chance of TV:s going real, actual 120 hz anytime soon? Would love to shoot for 120 hz but I'm not going back to anything smaller than my 46" TV for my PC gaming.

It'll happen eventually, but not soon. As it stands the only device that connects to a TV that can take advantage of true 120hz is a PC, and since PCs connected to TVs aren't exactly common I don't think we'll see manufacturers releasing 120hz TVs to a tiny market segment.

kharma45

I thought this might be of interest to some of you. It definitely took me by surprise.

AMD's piledriver processors seem to excel with Crysis 3. Another test by PCGamesHardware.de shows the AMD processors in an even more favorable light.

It did look to be a game highly optimised for multithreaded CPUs as the high end Intel recommendation was an i7 and for AMD is was only the FX 4300.

bro1

Banned
if you are an Nvidia owner right now, do you think you are going to switch to AMD when you upgrade due to the consoles all going AMD?

garath

if you are an Nvidia owner right now, do you think you are going to switch to AMD when you upgrade due to the consoles all going AMD?

I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon again but when I do, what kind of card is in the consoles will have nothing to do with it. It'll be based on the price and performance of the cards as well as the stability and performance of the drivers with my favorite games like it always does.

Salaadin

I had some issues with AMD hardware so I switched to Nvidia but Im really thinking about going back to AMD simply because of the value they currently offer. When upgrade time rolls around (I have 660ti so Im in no immediate rush but I will be next year), if they still offer the best bang for your buck like they currently do, then Im going back. If they bring back the Never Settle bundle, then that makes it even better.

Im not too caught up with what the consoles do. My biggest "concern" is the whole 8GB GDDR5 thing. I dont really know what Im talking about here but I think Im going to want a GPU with a lot of RAM on it now in case the games that get ported from the PS4 take advantage of a decent chunk of that. I dont really know if such a thing will happen so Im hoping someone can clue me in on that.

I dont know if this is a good price but an Amazon seller has 1TB WD Caviar Blacks for 90.75 right now. 7 left in stock, Prime eligible. Amazon itself is selling them for 91.78.

bro1

Banned
I had some issues with AMD hardware so I switched to Nvidia but Im really thinking about going back to AMD simply because of the value they currently offer. When upgrade time rolls around (I have 660ti so Im in no immediate rush but I will be next year), if they still offer the best bang for your buck like they currently do, then Im going back. If they bring back the Never Settle bundle, then that makes it even better.

Im not too caught up with what the consoles do. My biggest "concern" is the whole 8GB GDDR5 thing. I dont really know what Im talking about here but I think Im going to want a GPU with a lot of RAM on it now in case the games that get ported from the PS4 take advantage of a decent chunk of that. I dont really know if such a thing will happen so Im hoping someone can clue me in on that.

I dont know if this is a good price but an Amazon seller has 1TB WD Caviar Blacks for 90.75 right now. 7 left in stock, Prime eligible. Amazon itself is selling them for 91.78.

Buy it from Amazon for the $1 difference just for the return policy and ease of mind.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon again but when I do, what kind of card is in the consoles will have nothing to do with it. It'll be based on the price and performance of the cards as well as the stability and performance of the drivers with my favorite games like it always does.
Bam.

Throwin sense at y'all.

Got my brand spanking new pc. Busy with downloading all the apps and programs and transferring data etc. Can't wait to try out some games tonight. Metro, The Witcher and Crysis 3 here I come
3AQmK.gif

Chris R

Didn't realize how well the 7970Ghz was... But damn, after reading the Anand Titan review, if my 670 starts to crawl I might just jump ship back to the red side...

kennah

Phew, the 120Hz monitor is long gone, I'm safe for now.

Did take the opportunity to take a look at the Bitfenix Prodigy a little closer and get my hands on. It's quite a bit bigger than I thought, very squat, I think there is actually more room inside it than my PC-60. Sucks that the video card is right flush against the door panel, means after market cooling options are going to be quite limited.

So I have a friend looking to build a new computer just so he can run Diablo 3, he's not really looking to play much else. He's trying to spend less than $400 so can anyone recommend me anything? Mainly just used Hazaro's PC build. This is what I have currently, unsure on what to do about video card to keep it under $400.

CPU: Intel G860
Mobo: ASRock B75M-DGS
Ram: G.Skill 2x2GB
GPU: ????
Storage: WD 500GB
PSU: Antec VP450
Case: Xigmatec Asgard II

Thanks!

kennah

So I have a friend looking to build a new computer just so he can run Diablo 3, he's not really looking to play much else. He's trying to spend less than $400 so can anyone recommend me anything? Mainly just used Hazaro's PC build. This is what I have currently, unsure on what to do about video card to keep it under $400.

CPU: Intel G860
Mobo: ASRock B75M-DGS
Ram: G.Skill 2x2GB
GPU: ????
Storage: WD 500GB
PSU: Antec VP450
Case: Xigmatec Asgard II

Thanks!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48032165&postcount=3108

GAFFer selling a 7850 for $165. Probably more than enough card for him.

or, you could pick up a 7770 for around $100. Anything lower than that won't really be able to play games.

kharma45

Didn't realize how well the 7970Ghz was... But damn, after reading the Anand Titan review, if my 670 starts to crawl I might just jump ship back to the red side...

Might sound a bit silly to some but I feel it's a very under-rated card, there are still some who automatically default to looking at Nvidia for high end.

Kerm 1

Pulled the trigger for a new build yesterday:

Case: NZXT Switch 810
CPU: i7 3770k
MB: ASRock OC Formula Z77
GPU: GTX 690
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance 2133
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
WD 1TB Velociraptor 10,000 RPM 64MB Cache
Optical: LG 14X Bluray Burner
PS: Corsair HX750 Modular
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Gskill Memory fan

Any thoughts or suggestions on changes before I begin unboxing everything?

scogoth

Pulled the trigger for a new build yesterday:

Case: NZXT Switch 810
CPU: i7 3770k
MB: ASRock OC Formula Z77
GPU: GTX 690
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance 2133
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
WD 1TB Velociraptor 10,000 RPM 64MB Cache
Optical: LG 14X Bluray Burner
PS: Corsair HX750 Modular
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Gskill Memory fan

Any thoughts or suggestions on changes before I begin unboxing everything?

Yeah two 680s instead of 690 or wait for Titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom