• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Jumping on a great deal on a 7970 tomorrow for my first build.

I feel like this question is asked frequently, but I'd love some reassurance:

Do you think something in the "enthusiast range" (~$1200) will be able to keep up with the entirety of next gen console ports with at least console quality visuals and FPS?

I'm really hoping for it to last all gen without needing any major upgrade. I know that the hardware will technically be better than what's going to be in consoles, but is that gap enough to account for the optimization voodoo that goes into console versions?

I got a little burned this gen when my 2009 laptop tore through early gen ports, but utterly shat the bed when playing mid-late gen games even at lowest settings/resolution. What gave? Shouldn't it have lasted all gen given that the hardware was superior to anything in consoles?

The fact that it was mobile hardware probably didn't help, I suppose.

Any enthusiast pc is going to fare much better than a laptop, although I would personally never want to maintain the same box for the entire duration of the overlong console cycle. I don't expect anything great from this round of consoles. They're simply pre built machines for the masses.

Jumping on a great deal on a 7970 tomorrow for my first build.

I feel like this question is asked frequently, but I'd love some reassurance:

Do you think something in the "enthusiast range" (~$1200) will be able to keep up with the entirety of next gen console ports with at least console quality visuals and FPS?

I'm really hoping for it to last all gen without needing any major upgrade. I know that the hardware will technically be better than what's going to be in consoles, but is that gap enough to account for the optimization voodoo that goes into console versions?

I got a little burned this gen when my 2009 laptop tore through early gen ports, but utterly shat the bed when playing mid-late gen games even at lowest settings/resolution. What gave? Shouldn't it have lasted all gen given that the hardware was superior to anything in consoles?

The fact that it was mobile hardware probably didn't help, I suppose.

Kind of. WE are all speculating here, but the consoles are very PC like in their architecture (and a good year to two years behind what you are putting in your PC). All that said, and I'm really oversimplifying here, console games generally can get 2-4x the performance out of the same hardware.

There's also the trends in the gaming industry, and the fact that hardware progression is slowing down, and game costs are going to be a more limiting trend than raw processing power. The trend towards PC gaming also means more developers will be pursuing titles that don't require uber hardware, since they expect the consoles to be the main platform and do a shitty port.

Short answer, IMO, a PC built now will take you through a good chunk of next gen, and in 2-3 years you may need to shoot for an upgraded GPU or processor.

I guess that was a really long winded way of saying "I think a good PC will take you farther this gen than it did last (especially vs. a laptop), but there's no real way to know."

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Haven't built a PC for myself since the early/mid 90's. Been having fun over the past year or so taking a break from console gaming and firing up some PC games. Been looking around here, Tom's Hardware Guide and a couple of other "build sites'.

I have been doing all my gaming on a 46" Vizio at standard 1920X1080. I will most likely hook up whatever I build downstairs on my 50" Samsung Plasma (been used for the past 6 or more years for console gaming, so no great concern over burn in). This will also allow me to hook sound from PC into 7-channel sound system as well.

My question is; since I have no intention of playing the games on anything other than the television at 1920X1080(P), should I not go crazy on the GPU? I figure I could save some money on the video card, which is usually a fair portion of budget, and perhaps use the money on a SSD addition instead. I prefer Nvidia, but have seen some nice AMD cards also. What would be the "lowest" model I should consider, if only shooting for 1920X1080? I also know there is the consideration for, anti-aliasing, particle effects,etc. But I still feel I should be able to save a bit.

I am spoiled with the large screen view and have never been one to HAVE to get the highest resolution displayed on a PC monitor. Well....maybe in the earlier PC gaming days. The cost of the cards and monitor these days to get those high resolutions don't surpass my "big screen" enjoyment.

Koroviev

Haven't built a PC for myself since the early/mid 90's. Been having fun over the past year or so taking a break from console gaming and firing up some PC games. Been looking around here, Tom's Hardware Guide and a couple of other "build sites'.

I have been doing all my gaming on a 46" Vizio at standard 1920X1080. I will most likely hook up whatever I build downstairs on my 50" Samsung Plasma (been used for the past 6 or more years for console gaming, so no great concern over burn in). This will also allow me to hook sound from PC into 7-channel sound system as well.

My question is; since I have no intention of playing the games on anything other than the television at 1920X1080(P), should I not go crazy on the GPU? I figure I could save some money on the video card, which is usually a fair portion of budget, and perhaps use the money on a SSD addition instead. I prefer Nvidia, but have seen some nice AMD cards also. What would be the "lowest" model I should consider, if only shooting for 1920X1080? I also know there is the consideration for, anti-aliasing, particle effects,etc. But I still feel I should be able to save a bit.

I am spoiled with the large screen view and have never been one to HAVE to get the highest resolution displayed on a PC monitor. Well....maybe in the earlier PC gaming days. The cost of the cards and monitor these days to get those high resolutions don't surpass my "big screen" enjoyment.

2GB 7850

Edit: Has anyone here actually delided their Ivy Bridge processor?

garath

For those of you with a Sensei RAW mouse, which option is considered to be the best out of rubber or gloss? I get sweaty hands and am not sure if the rubber one would fare so well against that.

I have Rubber. I like it. It wears a little on the contact points but I imagine it grips far better than the glossy.

My 240gb SSD didn't stand a chance. It's already like 70% full. (World of Warcraft and TERA need to be smaller!)

As far as gaming performance is concerned, what options do I have other than:

1) Getting another SSD to fill up

2) Getting 500-1tb WD 7200rpm drives (either 2 1tb or 4 500gb) and raiding them

I have an external 3tb drive but I am pretty sure its 5400rpm so it's not really suitable for a gaming drive. (I've been using it as a media drive for audio/video). Any way to conjure up some sort of low capacity SSD (60gb) to use as a caching drive to speed up an otherwise slow drive?

garath

My 240gb SSD didn't stand a chance. It's already like 70% full. (World of Warcraft and TERA need to be smaller!)

I have an external 3tb drive but I am pretty sure its 5400rpm so it's not really suitable for a gaming drive. (I've been using it as a media drive for audio/video). Any way to conjure up some sort of low capacity SSD (60gb) to use as a caching drive to speed up an otherwise slow drive?

Harddrives only impact load times. So as far as gaming performance is concerned, your only negative impact of just using a plain old mechanical 1TB drive will be load times in games.

As someone that uses a 1TB drive for my game installs, I can assure you the load times are hardly even worth mentioning.

Perhaps you'd be better off using the SSD as your OS drive with maybe one or two games where you load a lot (WoW is probably a good one) then put the rest of your games on a normal mechanical drive.

Koroviev

Only keep your frequently used games and applications on the SSD. Move everything else to the HDD.

So I'm buying a pre-built PC (and I actually think it's pretty good for the price)

PC Specs:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64
CPU - 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770
RAM - 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM
Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
GPU - 1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 (only part I DON'T like)
Power Supply - 350W Power supply

Then a bunch of other stuff that make it appeal to me like Free Adobe Premiere and Photoshop, Built-In Wifi, Included Keyboard and Mouse etc.

I'm getting this for $699.99 (free shipping). Would be $747 with tax.

So... I can actually STILL get it for $699 (or cheaper if I want) even if I upgrade the CPU or PSU. I wanna know GAF, what should I upgrade? The CPU to an i7-3770k, or the Power Supply Unit to 600 Watts? Upgrading either would still leave it at $699 thankfully.

I plan to upgrade the GPU to a better one (Nvidia 680 most likely) later, so I'm thinking of upgrading the PSU. Would 600 watts be enough for the computer (with a 680) or would even 460 watts be enough? Or should I get the i7-3770k and upgrade the PSU and GPU together later?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been at about 206GB of free space on my 840 Pro for a few weeks. I want to find the right game to install on here. Probably will put RE6 on the SSD as I just pre-ordered it. I could move it to my HDD in a month when I'm done with the game.

kennah

So I'm buying a pre-built PC (and I actually think it's pretty good for the price)

PC Specs:

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64
CPU - 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770
RAM - 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM
Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
GPU - 1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 7570 (only part I DON'T like)
Power Supply - 350W Power supply

Then a bunch of other stuff that make it appeal to me like Free Adobe Premiere and Photoshop, Built-In Wifi, Included Keyboard and Mouse etc.

I'm getting this for $699.99 (free shipping). Would be $747 with tax.

So... I can actually STILL get it for $699 (or cheaper if I want) even if I upgrade the CPU or PSU. I wanna know GAF, what should I upgrade? The CPU to an i7-3770k, or the Power Supply Unit to 600 Watts? Upgrading either would still leave it at $699 thankfully.

I plan to upgrade the GPU to a better one (Nvidia 680 most likely) later, so I'm thinking of upgrading the PSU. Would 600 watts be enough for the computer (with a 680) or would even 460 watts be enough? Or should I get the i7-3770k and upgrade the PSU and GPU together later?

I think you're getting pretty shafted - and the included Premiere and Photoshop for that price make me think that they're either pirated or demos. The 3770K won't help you at all if your motherboard doesn't support overclocking. What chipset and brand is the motherboard?

The only results I can find for even pricing out a 7570 are them being in refurbished Dell and HP and Acer computers - but the likely shitty powersupply that's in there probably wouldn't be able to run a modern video card - if it even has PCI-E power connectors! (I know the Lenovo I have at work doesn't).

Honestly you're probably better off building yourself, then you know what goes in. The CPU is fully half the cost of what you're looking at - so that guarantees everything else will be of low quality. I put together a pcpartspicker list using cheap no name parts for what you got and it came out $100 cheaper. I'd look at the OP and just do it yourself, you'll be better off in the end. 699 gives you plenty of room to play with GOOD upgrade options in the future instead of already being capped out (with shitty motherboard, shitty powersupply, shitty, case, etc).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EMbN

I think you're getting pretty shafted - and the included Premiere and Photoshop for that price make me think that they're either pirated or demos. The 3770K won't help you at all if your motherboard doesn't support overclocking. What chipset and brand is the motherboard?

The only results I can find for even pricing out a 7570 are them being in refurbished Dell and HP and Acer computers - but the likely shitty powersupply that's in there probably wouldn't be able to run a modern video card - if it even has PCI-E power connectors! (I know the Lenovo I have at work doesn't).

Honestly you're probably better off building yourself, then you know what goes in. The CPU is fully half the cost of what you're looking at - so that guarantees everything else will be of low quality. I put together a pcpartspicker list using cheap no name parts for what you got and it came out $100 cheaper. I'd look at the OP and just do it yourself, you'll be better off in the end. 699 gives you plenty of room to play with GOOD upgrade options in the future instead of already being capped out (with shitty motherboard, shitty powersupply, shitty, case, etc).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EMbN

The Motherboard is a Pegatron IPMMB-fm Formosa.

The computer actually costs $1049.99. Sale though + $100 coupon drops it too $699.99.

I don't think Premiere and Photoshop are pirated, I don't think they come Pre-installed but in a box with a Product key and such.

LiquidMetal14

The computer actually costs $1049.99. Sale though + $100 coupon drops it too $699.99.

I don't think Premiere and Photoshop are pirated, I don't think they come Pre-installed but in a box with a Product key and such.

Looks iffy to me. And that 350w PSU is really paltry.

Looks iffy to me. And that 350w PSU is really paltry.

Yeah, but I can upgrade the PSU for free basically (or upgrade the CPU). I can't use the $100 off coupon unless the computer is more than $1000. The computer is $949 without the upgraded PSU or CPU. Both cost $100 more to upgrade. So I could upgrade one of those for free.

What would be the best choice to upgrade?

350w PSU - 600w PSU
or
Intel i7 3770 - Intel i7 3700k

I'm not sure what's the better option. Upgrade the PSU now and easily upgrade the GPU later, or upgrade the CPU and then upgrade the PSU and GPU together later.

Is an i7 3770 good enough that upgrading to a 3770k won't really matter much?

LiquidMetal14

Yeah, but I can upgrade the PSU for free basically (or upgrade the CPU). I can't use the $100 off coupon unless the computer is more than $1000. The computer is $949 without the upgraded PSU or CPU. Both cost $100 more to upgrade. So I could upgrade one of those for free.

350w PSU - 600w PSU
or

I'm not sure what's the better option. Upgrade the PSU now and easily upgrade the GPU later, or upgrade the CPU and then upgrade the PSU and GPU together later.

3770k is better for future use as it overclocks. I would consider getting that and updating the PSU first and then looking to a high end GPU later down the line.

kennah

350w PSU - 600w PSU
or

You'd be better off downgrading that i7 to an i5-3570k - if your motherboard could handle overclocking.

The only reason the K processors are good is because they support overclocking - but to overclock you would need an aftermarket CPU Cooler and a motherboard that supports it. While that motherboard has a Z75 chipset, which does support overclocking, from what I can find that specific motherboard DOES NOT. The BIOS options needed to do that have been disabled (as is common with prefab pcs). So ANY K processor would be a waste in this computer because you'd need to upgrade the motherboard to access those features.

As mentioned, 350W is a very small amount of PSU, chances are that HP wouldn't support adding in a better video card at all. So that's an instant upgrade.

Honestly I think this computer is a waste of time because you would need to change everything to make it into a reasonable machine. You're changing the powersupply to support a better video card, then you'd be changing the motherbaord to support a better CPU. If you're going through that much work, just spend the money to do it right the first time.

bro1

Banned

Everything you posted sounds super sketchy. If you MUST buy a pre-built PC, I would go with ibuypower or that Alienware x-51 that is on sale. Both companies are legit and offer warranties.

Also, I would be super suspicious of the software package they are offering as well as the keyboard and mouse as that software can get very expensive.

So someone directed me here since, presumably, someone here can help me. I bought a desktop a few months ago for ~$900. The specs:

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
  • RAM: 12 GBs
  • OCd @ Core Voltage 1125mV; Core Clock 1000MHz; Memory Clock 1125MHz
  • Liquid-cooled

Most modern games run extremely well on high settings, except Crysis 3 (of course), which is giving me some grief. I changed my OC settings a bit higher from the stats above, and I also turned off V-sync which was on for some reason, and the game now runs at around 35 FPS on medium settings in campaign.

However, I'd like for my game to run better on higher settings. Someone suggested I change my GPU. Could someone suggest a GPU that's better than mine? Preferably AMD and not too expensive. Thanks!

Koroviev

So someone directed me here since, presumably, someone here can help me. I bought a desktop a few months ago for ~$900. The specs:

• GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
  • RAM: 12 GBs
  • OCd @ Core Voltage 1125mV; Core Clock 1000MHz; Memory Clock 1125MHz
  • Liquid-cooled

Most modern games run extremely well on high settings, except Crysis 3 (of course), which is giving me some grief. I changed my OC settings a bit higher from the stats above, and I also turned off V-sync which was on for some reason, and the game now runs at around 35 FPS on medium settings in campaign.

However, I'd like for my game to run better on higher settings. Someone suggested I change my GPU. Could someone suggest a GPU that's better than mine? Preferably AMD and not too expensive. Thanks!

2GB 7850

Sethos

Banned
So GAF, I want to try 120Hz for a few months for teh lulz. I'm looking at the BenQ XL2411T - Is that range still considered some of the best 120Hz monitors or did something else pop up? I don't want to spend too much on it, just for some throwaway testing. Oh and I don't care about 3D, at all.

kennah

So GAF, I want to try 120Hz for a few months for teh lulz. I'm looking at the BenQ XL2411T - Is that range still considered some of the best 120Hz monitors or did something else pop up? I don't want to spend too much on it, just for some throwaway testing. Oh and I don't care about 3D, at all.

DIBS

Koroviev

120Hz is a beautiful thing. I'm not a fan of matte screens, though. I would pursue either a used Samsung or a used Asus. I have the Asus and it's a great display.

AkuMifune

Banned
System works, but I need to refine the cabeling a bit.

Here's what's in it:

i7 3770k
Asus Maximus V Gene
Gigabyte HD 7970 3GB
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
Noctua NH-U12P
Samsung 840 250GB SSD
2x2TB WD green
Be quiet! Straight Power E9 580W PSU
Fractal Design Arc mini

img_1228c5q4q.jpg

img_1230k3r7q.jpg

I just ordered that case today! Plus all my other final parts:

• Gigabyte Z77 GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP
  • Intel Core™ i5-3570
  • Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
  • Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance
  • Samsung 128GB 830 Series SSD
  • Seagate 1TB Barracuda
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
  • Seasonic SS-660XP 660W Power Supply

My build isn't as impressive as yours, but I was able to fit it all in just within budget and having been on a netbook for 4 years it's going to be godly.

LiquidMetal14

Well, startling discovery. This 1080p IPS monitor from AOC supports 100hz without doing any tweaking but making a custom resolution in nvidia control panel. I had to disable Overdrive in my panel as it was recommended and lo and behold, it works!

I just made a custom resolution of 1080p at 100hz.

This is a 270USD 27" IPS monitor and to get 100hz for me is a big deal. I had no idea I could achieve this with this monitor as I've been playing at 60hz for about 3 weeks now.

I'm amazed as it works and there is NO ARTIFACTS. SHIIIEEEET!

100hz8trdp.png

Everything you posted sounds super sketchy. If you MUST buy a pre-built PC, I would go with ibuypower or that Alienware x-51 that is on sale. Both companies are legit and offer warranties.

Also, I would be super suspicious of the software package they are offering as well as the keyboard and mouse as that software can get very expensive.
I'm buying off HP's official site. I don't think I'll get scammed. Thanks for all the help GAF.

n0n44m

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2411t

slightly improved from the 2420T , 144 Hz, but the stand is a bit "cheaper" compared to the 2420T

definitely a great monitor for FPS

I run my XL2420T with a calibrated icc profile from tftcentral, looks pretty good for a TN screen ;)

there's also the Lightboost Tweak, which promises CRT-like fluidity , but I don't use that because you do lose control over color/brightness/contrast so the screen basically enters "torch mode" ...

(the same panel from the XL2411T will also be available from Asus soon)

LiquidMetal14

Interesting, when I set the monitor to 100hz, it says h frequency 12KHz, v frequency 0.

Is there something I need to tweak or is that correct? It definitely is smoother upon testing mouse scrolling but only BF3 works over 60hz. I tried Trine 2 and Sonic but they each seem to be capped at 60hz.

Sethos

Banned
http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2411t

slightly improved from the 2420T , 144 Hz, but the stand is a bit "cheaper" compared to the 2420T

definitely a great monitor for FPS

I run my XL2420T with a calibrated icc profile from tftcentral, looks pretty good for a TN screen ;)

there's also the Lightboost Tweak, which promises CRT-like fluidity , but I don't use that because you do lose control over color/brightness/contrast so the screen basically enters "torch mode" ...

(the same panel from the XL2411T will also be available from Asus soon)

Thanks man, I'm still on edge about it - I just don't play that many twitch games any more which is why I keep going back and forth. Might give it some more thought. Appreciate the answer.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Gaf,

A quick question. I really want a new home media/gaming PC. However, if I could run an additional monitor wirelessly I could also use it when working from home in my study (which is in the room next to my living room).

My question is, is there a guide to doing is (i.e set up a wireless monitor with the pc)? Is it possible to do it well?

I really like the idea of buying one pc to cover both uses.

Koroviev

Hi Gaf,

A quick question. I really want a new home media/gaming PC. However, if I could run an additional monitor wirelessly I could also use it when working from home in my study (which is in the room next to my living room).

My question is, is there a guide to doing is? Is it possible to do it well?

I really like the idea of buying one pc to cover both uses.

Remote desktop?

Not really. 120Hz monitors comes with a LOT of drawbacks and coming from a 30" beautiful IPS panel, it will be a colossal step down in IQ.

I can't go back to 60Hz :(

mr2xxx

Banned
What is good and what is bad frame latency when it comes to videocards. I understand lower is better but I have no clue what is an acceptable range. Reason I ask is because i have a 570 gtx and I wanted to get a 7870, while not an upgrade Performance wise it is much quiter and cooler and I could sell my 570 for the same price. i only hesitate because from the reviews on the frame latency it seems that the 7870 is worse than the 570.

mkenyon

Banned
What is good and what is bad frame latency when it comes to videocards. I understand lower is better but I have no clue what is an acceptable range. Reason I ask is because i have a 570 gtx and I wanted to get a 7870, while not an upgrade Performance wise it is much quiter and cooler and I could sell my 570 for the same price. i only hesitate because from the reviews on the frame latency it seems that the 7870 is worse than the 570.
Divide 1000 by the frame latency number to arrive at a "FPS" number. 8.3 = 120fps, 11.1 = 90fps, 16.7 = 60fps.
Thanks man, I'm still on edge about it - I just don't play that many twitch games any more which is why I keep going back and forth. Might give it some more thought. Appreciate the answer.
Since you are an IQ guy first, I'd actually suggest holding out until we get a new panel with better IQ similar to the S23A or ASUS VG236. If you can get your hands on a used one of either of those, I'd go that route.

mkenyon

Banned
Who cares what the reason is, they do have better IQ.

I have an XL2420T sitting right next to my S23A, and no matter what I've done to calibrate the XL2420T, I *always* use the S23A for anything where I need more accurate and vibrant colors.

Sethos

Banned
Since you are an IQ guy first, I'd actually suggest holding out until we get a new panel with better IQ similar to the S23A or ASUS VG236. If you can get your hands on a used one of either of those, I'd go that route.

Thanks man, not a fan of used products so I might just hold out until a good alternative comes up - I'm in no rush.

Koroviev

Thanks man, not a fan of used products so I might just hold out until a good alternative comes up - I'm in no rush.

Neither am I, but I'm actually quite pleased with the panel mkenyon found for me. Some minor scuffing on the bezel aside, the screen itself is in pristine condition.

diamount

Banned
Speaking of monitors, has anyone got one of those 2560x1440 120hz monitors over at 120hz.net? Seems like the best of both worlds if you've got the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom