• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windam

Scaley member
For people looking for a gaming headset that will work well with virtualized surround, AKG K142's on sale on newegg today for $65. Great positional audio, great detail. Don't buy these expecting dubstep to wubwubwub you.

...Wow. Too bad Canada doesn't have deals like this. Not an audiophile by any means, but I'd love a decent set of headphones. Or at least a decent headset. I have a pair of Turtle Beach X12s, and they're super uncomfortable when I use my glasses with them (sides of my glasses press into my head). Any suggestions, GAF? Not looking for anything $100+. Too broke for that. :p

kharma45

It will be called the R9-XXXX

They'll keep the XXXX portion consistent from here on out, and change the RX number. October is the last rumored released date, there hasn't been anything close to an official word yet.

Also, check out this rumor:

900x900px-LL-7ede383b_AMD-Phenom-IV-X12-170.jpeg

12 Cores
75W TDP
6GHz
24MB L3 Cache

If this isn't fake, this is stupid awesome.

100% fake, 25nm gave it away before anything else. Shame on you :p

WolvenOne

Okay, gonna keep this simple.

I'm probably going to upgrade my computer from an Phenom ii X4/AM3 Motherboard, to an LGA1150 based CPU/Motherboard, no later than late September if I can help it.

Assuming that 300USD is my budget, and that I'll be able to recycle most the parts from my current rig, is something akin the URL below, about the best I could expect?

http://tinyurl.com/lctwyer

ETA for the 9970 is October right?

Not supposed to be 20nm, either, right? Or is everything still unreliable rumors at this point?

I would wait another two months for a just in time for the Holidays/CES launch at 20nm, but then there's also the rumors that nobody except Apple is going 20nm anytime soon...

Mad Max

Okay, gonna keep this simple.

I'm probably going to upgrade my computer from an Phenom ii X4/AM3 Motherboard, to an LGA1150 based CPU/Motherboard, no later than late September if I can help it.

Assuming that 300USD is my budget, and that I'll be able to recycle most the parts from my current rig, is something akin the URL below, about the best I could expect?

http://tinyurl.com/lctwyer

You can do better for that budget:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

The 4670K+Asus Z87-A bundle is a good deal for ~300.

mkenyon

Banned
...Wow. Too bad Canada doesn't have deals like this. Not an audiophile by any means, but I'd love a decent set of headphones. Or at least a decent headset. I have a pair of Turtle Beach X12s, and they're super uncomfortable when I use my glasses with them (sides of my glasses press into my head). Any suggestions, GAF? Not looking for anything $100+. Too broke for that. :p
Cross reference headphones listed in the GAF Headphone thread with sales going on in Canada.

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=29043&vpn=PC350&manufacture=Sennheiser Electronics&promoid=1062

That's a stupid good deal, despite being a smidge above your price range. The microphone on Sennheiser PC-350/360s is God Tier. Makes the Blue Yeti sound like garbage.
100% fake, 25nm gave it away before anything else. Shame on you :p
Has it been confirmed as a fake?
Yeah. The B in "B85" stands for "Buy something else".
This got an audible chuckle :p

kharma45

Has it been confirmed as a fake?

No but if it's not I'll... I dunno what I will do, something stupid.

There is no foundry with a 25nm process for CPUs, only NAND is 25nm. AMD has nothing like this on any road map either, if they can do this what is the point of Steamroller and then Excavator? Also that AMD-"V" is not meant to be a number, it's AMD's virtualization technology so what is AMD-VI supposed to be? It's just someone posting shite :p It's also missing the new instructions that are in Bulldozer and the rest of their CPU range, stuff like AVX, FMA, XOP which you'd expect it to have, if it were real.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
AMD doesn't really need to go 12 core. Maybe they could for server competition.

What they really need is true parallelism between cores and competitive IPC with Intel's core. 80% as fast IPC as Intel should work as they clock the AMD CPUs in the upper 4 GHz range. If they did that, Intel would be forced to stop devoting 99% of their focus on the pot of Apple gold (specifically iPad).

x3sphere

Not supposed to be 20nm, either, right? Or is everything still unreliable rumors at this point?

I would wait another two months for a just in time for the Holidays/CES launch at 20nm, but then there's also the rumors that nobody except Apple is going 20nm anytime soon...

No one knows for sure... 20nm is possible if AMD is using high risk production. That would be costly, and I wouldn't expect them to undercut NV's 7xx much, if at all if they go that route.

AMD doesn't really need to go 12 core. Maybe they could for server competition.

What they really need is true parallelism between cores and competitive IPC with Intel's core. 80% as fast IPC as Intel should work as they clock the AMD CPUs in the upper 4 GHz range. If they did that, Intel would be forced to stop devoting 99% of their focus on the pot of Apple gold (specifically iPad).

But on the other hand...

l7fjRzH.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Question from a clueless console gamer: How much would it cost to build a PC that would outperform PS4/Xbone? I'm debating between either getting a next gen console or building a PC, and I'm having a hard time coming to a decision.

WolvenOne

Question from a clueless console gamer: How much would it cost to build a PC that would outperform PS4/Xbone? I'm debating between either getting a next gen console or building a PC, and I'm having a hard time coming to a decision.

I'm less knowledgeable than most, but, low ball estimate, id say 600, to get a machine that'll more or less consistently outperform the PS4. You might be able to get away with less than that, but, you wouldn't outperform as consistently, and the chance that you'd need to upgrade with 2 or 3 years would go up considerably.

Wait until you hear from somebody more knowledgeable though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Since you asked nicely:

Take the $830 build

Remove the SSD
Cut the motherboard to a basic budget model
Cut CPU to a non overclockable model
Cut $10 for 1TB to 500GB

= $640

That said the $830 build I feel is the sweet spot and would be what I suggest. You can trim $150 off with a slightly slower cpu and basic motherboard and no SSD, but SSD's are amazing and the ability to overclock 25% and what that means on minimum frametimes and FPS is too important imo.
But I'm picky.

Well, she's all built and running very, very well. I am still tweaking some of the fan settings, but this is what I got going on so far.

Now, mind you, it's about 93 outside (yay, So Cal) and about low 80s in my room right now.

Got the proc oc'd to 4.2, keeping the voltage around 2.5 (it seems my mobo likes to go above that, not sure why yet) and the GPU is overclocked pretty well too. This is running Prime 95 and Fur Mark burn in.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, that depends. A lot of console games are at 720p, for example. That's a lot lower of a target than 1080p.

But, the Standard probably will. The Great definitely will.

kharma45

Well, that depends. A lot of console games are at 720p, for example. That's a lot lower of a target than 1080p.

But, the Standard probably will. The Great definitely will.

PS4/XBox One though should be a 1080p30 generation, at least one would presume for the most part.

SLI is kind of weird. There's an obvious performance benefit in most games as far as I can see and no kind of microstutter. It appears to work in borderless windowed too. But when I turn on the indicator it's all over the place. One time it can be nearly full and the next second it'll be really squished together.

You can get a 780 and have enough left over to buy a PS4. Best of both worlds.

Even better you buy a 760-780 and set the other money aside for a huge gpu upgrade in 3 years when it's time to upgrade. Then by the second half of next gen you'll have a pc that is over 10x faster than a ps4.

RoKKeR

Why in the flying fuck can I not run New Vegas at a stable 60fps. 770 and 2500k at 4.4GHz.

Wow, framerate is horrible outside. Like, sub 30fps bad.

So what would the point be :p

There was a bunch of disussion in the compact splash thread on OCN about how it was close but couldn't deliver quite enough power.

True dat. But I have a friend who stubbornly refuses to overclock. So there are people out there...

iavi

Used AMD's uninstaller to remove drivers. Now the monitor is completely blank, no signal.

Currently posting from my phone. Jesus H. Christ, why am I so bad at this?

Weird. plug the monitor directly into the motherboard to see if you can get a signal routed through there. If so, that should at least allow you to get the proper drivers installed properly

Also, I lol'd, I have to admit.

Has there been any indication from Nvidia if the Geforce Titan line is going to be a permanent series for future generations? It's selling fairly well for an extreme enthusiast $1000 card, correct? I guess I'm just thinking about my new computer in 2 years or so. With the money I'll be spending on the PS4 and XBox One, I could buy a Titan ha ha..

Buy a 780, OC it, and you'll have Titan-like performance with money left over for a PS4.

So, i'm having some issues that hopefully you guys can help with.

My OC, pictured above, has been rock solid. I've run fur mark and kombustor on it for 30+ minutes with no crashes or freezes. The FF14 bench has run fantastic as well.

However, the only other 2 games I have installed right now, FC2 and BF3, crash almost immediately or about 30 seconds into the game. FC2 literally stops and kills my driver and BF3 has to be closed out through the task manager.

Now, with BF3, when I drop my OC, the game boots up perfectly fine and runs great. I have yet to test FC2 with this, but it bugs me because everything else on the OC is seemingly fine, from temps to stress testing.

Is there something in particular with these games? I've uninstalled the .49 drivers an tried these new beta drivers, but to no avail.

knitoe

So, i'm having some issues that hopefully you guys can help with.

My OC, pictured above, has been rock solid. I've run fur mark and kombustor on it for 30+ minutes with no crashes or freezes. The FF14 bench has run fantastic as well.

However, the only other 2 games I have installed right now, FC2 and BF3, crash almost immediately or about 30 seconds into the game. FC2 literally stops and kills my driver and BF3 has to be closed out through the task manager.

Now, with BF3, when I drop my OC, the game boots up perfectly fine and runs great. I have yet to test FC2 with this, but it bugs me because everything else on the OC is seemingly fine, from temps to stress testing.

Is there something in particular with these games? I've uninstalled the .49 drivers an tried these new beta drivers, but to no avail.

After your drop / lower your OC and it runs fine, means your previous OC wasn't really stable. Maybe, it was relatively stable in that software(s) and/or for the short time you tested.

After your drop / lower your OC and it runs fine, means your previous OC wasn't really stable. Maybe, it was relatively stable in that software(s) and/or for the short time you tested.

Guess I'll keep playing with the OC then. The crashes started happening after I installed the Asus AI suite so I got suspicious

RoKKeR

Alright friends, I know I've made this post multiple times it seems but I'm reaching wits end with my gaming PC. It's just doing what it's supposed to, frankly haha and the bottom line is that it refuses to hold a stable FPS on a vast majority of the games I play, even when all of the settings are lowered to an absolute minimum.

770, i5 2500k. I've gone back and forth with OC'ing my CPU but I've decided to can it altogether for the time being while I figure out what's up. A recent example I'll take is Metro Last Light, a game that I could run at anywhere from 40-60fps on very high with my 570 while feeling fairly smooth and responsive. Today I fire up Metro to find massive stuttering, frame drops, and even on the lowest settings the game doesn't even come close to holding 60fps. The game's I've tried today that display similar behavior even after lowering settings are - Batman: AC, Sleepy Dogs, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Witcher 2, and they all show the same issues - stuttering, framerates all over the map, all on the lowest settings.

Ever since I got this 770, I've not been getting the performance I was expecting/hoping for, and now am getting frustrated with how poorly my rig is seeming to be doing with a lot of games. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for as a problem?

x3sphere

Alright friends, I know I've made this post multiple times it seems but I'm reaching wits end with my gaming PC. It's just doing what it's supposed to, frankly haha and the bottom line is that it refuses to hold a stable FPS on a vast majority of the games I play, even when all of the settings are lowered to an absolute minimum.

770, i5 2500k. I've gone back and forth with OC'ing my CPU but I've decided to can it altogether for the time being while I figure out what's up. A recent example I'll take is Metro Last Light, a game that I could run at anywhere from 40-60fps on very high with my 570 while feeling fairly smooth and responsive. Today I fire up Metro to find massive stuttering, frame drops, and even on the lowest settings the game doesn't even come close to holding 60fps. The game's I've tried today that display similar behavior even after lowering settings are - Batman: AC, Sleepy Dogs, Skyrim, Saints Row 3, Witcher 2, and they all show the same issues - stuttering, framerates all over the map, all on the lowest settings.

Ever since I got this 770, I've not been getting the performance I was expecting/hoping for, and now am getting frustrated with how poorly my rig is seeming to be doing with a lot of games. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for as a problem?

You could setting prefer maximum performance under Power Management in the Nvidia control panel. No idea if that'll fix it, but back when I had my Titan it was throttling without that set in some games...

RoKKeR

You could setting prefer maximum performance under Power Management in the Nvidia control panel. No idea if that'll fix it, but back when I had my Titan it was throttling without that set in some games...

I saw that in the Panel early today that I really wasn't sure what it was for. I'll check it out. It doesn't effect any in-game settings I imagine, I'll see if there's any difference.

xJavonta

Banned
Shadowrun Returns works. But my other games still won't launch. This is weird and I can't figure out what the hell is going on.

This PC stuff is pissing me off.

Welp. Fuck this, I'm not dealing with this computer anymore. I can't figure it out and apparently neither can gaf so I'm just gonna stay away from PC gaming until I have enough to buy a new one. This one has been nothing but a giant fucking annoyance for the last couple of months. 3DS/Vita for me until then.

knitoe

Welp. Fuck this, I'm not dealing with this computer anymore. I can't figure it out and apparently neither can gaf so I'm just gonna stay away from PC gaming until I have enough to buy a new one. This one has been nothing but a giant fucking annoyance for the last couple of months. 3DS/Vita for me until then.
Have you tried installing drivers using the custom option instead of express? Dumb, but sometimes the express option doesn't remove and/update certain part. If you have drivers install, use the custom option, select all and uninstall the drivers. Restart, select custom > all and reinstall drivers.

Roll back to Windows 8.

Does the system turn on? And by turn on I mean do the fans start?

Have you tried removing the card and then resetting the CMOS (plugging the monitor up to the onboard and not reinstalling the card).

Fans turn on.

I was still getting audio, like the log-in chime, but then I tried resetting the CMOS, and now I hear nothing. I haven't tried booting up without the card. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm too tired/frustrated to mess around anymore right now.

brentech

So I'm on W8.1 Preview and every time I try to install the preview drivers from AMD, my desktop turns black and won't respond. Nothing. I tried leaving it on for a day and when I came home it was still black. For me to even use the PC I have to keep away from the drivers.

The resolution and monitor stuff is perfectly fine without the drivers installed (unlike W7), but I haven't tried playing any games yet. I have a feeling that they won't be running to well.

Anyone know what the problem is?

I once had an old ATI Sapphire video card that basically did that shit unless I was using the drivers from the boxed CD. It was ridiculous, I couldn't upgrade drivers without it ruining everything.
I had to use one of those custom drivers that people make available that are totally stripped down.

Obviously saying that's your problem, but your issue is one of those that really takes time to figure out what's happening. It's going to take more than a minute to fix.

Do you use event viewer and see if anything is crashing or not loading when it should? Sometimes it's just a matter of researching what all the warnings that launching a game causes. See if it dials you in on a problem and go from there.

TheD

The Detective

So you installed a non released OS, had trouble with the GPU drivers and tried to play games without them?

Fans turn on.

I was still getting audio, like the log-in chime, but then I tried resetting the CMOS, and now I hear nothing. I haven't tried booting up without the card. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I'm too tired/frustrated to mess around anymore right now.

Login chine as in the Windows one? and now you hear nothing?
Is there any other beeps just after when you boot your PC that are now missing?

If everything is the same other than that you no longer hear the windows chime that likely means that the computer is booting, but because you cleared the CMOS it wants you to go back into the BIOS or load stock settings, because you do not have any output you can not see it asking you for this.

xJavonta

Banned
Have you tried installing drivers using the custom option instead of express? Dumb, but sometimes the express option doesn't remove and/update certain part. If you have drivers install, use the custom option, select all and uninstall the drivers. Restart, select custom > all and reinstall drivers.
Yes I tried that too, thanks.

I once had an old ATI Sapphire video card that basically did that shit unless I was using the drivers from the boxed CD. It was ridiculous, I couldn't upgrade drivers without it ruining everything.
I had to use one of those custom drivers that people make available that are totally stripped down.

Obviously saying that's your problem, but your issue is one of those that really takes time to figure out what's happening. It's going to take more than a minute to fix.

Do you use event viewer and see if anything is crashing or not loading when it should? Sometimes it's just a matter of researching what all the warnings that launching a game causes. See if it dials you in on a problem and go from there.
Yeah I tried the disc too, but the card is old (5000 series) and doesn't have W8 or 8.1 drivers on the disc so I just get an error when I try to install it.

I'm not buying another AMD card after this. Back to nvidia. Three days and still can't get it to work.

So you installed a non released OS, had trouble with the GPU drivers and tried to play games without them?
There are preview drivers, and I didn't even have this problem with Windows 8's preview (both consumer and release were fine)

It could be my old ass card, but it's not worth the trouble anymore. I'm just gonna stay away from PC gaming until I can afford a new one. I'll actually end up saving some money that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom