• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

Just a friendly warning: If you are looking to build a new PC or upgrade memory, avoid this for the time being: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148544

I am using it but I bought mine a couple months back and it works fine. The customer reviews are not so great lately, and Crucial has even responded to some of them admitting that there are problems.

Interesting. One of my friends just installed 32 gig of this with no problems.

That sucks. I too have it (2x4gb), but also bought mine in March. They've done quite well for me, no isssues, bummer that's happening.

knitoe

Any truth to the general thought that the 1x8gb is good while the 2x4gb's are trash?

I'm hearing most DoA issues are with the 4gbs

I have an 8gb single that's just fine.
MB are usually dual or quad channel. Thus, you want to run your memory in pairs, 2X4, 2X8, 4X4 or 4X8. If not, your memory bandwidth will only be the half performance.

kennah

MB are usually dual or quad channel. Thus, you want to run your memory in pairs, 2X4, 2X8, 4X4 or 4X8. If not, your memory bandwidth will only be the half performance.
It is about a 10-15% difference these days. I'm willing to bet the single stick came for free with a motherboard.

Haku

Neo Member
kennah said:
Looks good.

And Ssds are absolutely necessary.

Thanks.

However, I still think SSD's are a luxury, not a necessity--at least for the moment. I wanted to upgrade my monitor more than I wanted faster boot times and game loads. I'll pick one up when I'm paying way less than $1 a GB.

kharma45 said:
Make sure that RAM is low profile and not the stuff with silly heat sinks.
Yeah, it's the low profile Vengeance. I made sure of that.

Anyway, I forgot to post my before picture. Unfortunately, it's going to be a few more days until I have the after picture. Lame!

kennah

They're a luxury, not a necessity. I wanted to upgrade my monitor more than I wanted faster boot times and game loads. I'll pick one up when I'm paying way less than $1 a GB.

Anyway, I forgot to post my before picture. Unfortunately, it's going to be a few more days until I have the after picture. Lame!
The boot time and game loads are irrelevant, I agree. It's that every single thing you do in windows is faster.

Every. Single. Thing.

SoulClap

Yeah, just fine. No room for HDDs though.

Thanks. BTW not sure if you remember this post but I figured out the cause of the high temps. I had the pump plugged into a header that was under fan control via the BIOS. The pump would only run at around 500RPM on boot. I ended up disabling fan control and it resolved my issues.

knitoe

It is about a 10-15% difference these days. I'm willing to bet the single stick came for free with a motherboard.

In gaming, the difference is 10-15% because it's mostly based on your GPU. But, it's a big difference in system memory bandwidth (RAM). Do you have a link that shows differently recently?

2011: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1779/3/
channel-scaling.jpg

3dmark-channel-scaling.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks. BTW not sure if you remember this post but I figured out the cause of the high temps. I had the pump plugged into a header that was under fan control via the BIOS. The pump would only run at around 500RPM on boot. I ended up disabling fan control and it resolved my issues.
I should have thought of that. I had the same issue once. Glad it's fixed!

brentech

Thanks.

However, I still think SSD's are a luxury, not a necessity--at least for the moment. I wanted to upgrade my monitor more than I wanted faster boot times and game loads. I'll pick one up when I'm paying way less than $1 a GB.

SSD is game changer. I'm customizing a laptop and trying to get under a certain price, but now that I've got SSD on my desktop, I cannot build this laptop without one.
Even if it was 32gb just for OS and marginal stuff, it's worth every penny. They just don't offer drives that small for notebook custom builds so I gotta go with 120gb

Jumped on my girls laptop that runs fine and doesn't have an SSD and it seems like there's a very visible and awful lag.

Can't imagine dealing with that shit anymore.

knitoe

Jumped on my girls laptop that runs fine and doesn't have an SSD and it seems like there's a very visible and awful lag.

Almost zero seek times = no lag is what none SSD users have a hard time understanding why when we say once you go SSD you can never go back to a HDD. This is more important than talks about boot times, load times, read / write speed with SSDs.

Keyouta

Thanks.

Good thing the 1TB SSDs coming out now are at about $0.60/GB.

I couldn't imagine going back to a mechanical hard drive after making the switch to solid state. If I could only upgrade one thing in a computer, it would be putting an SSD in it.

maneil99

Installed on Intel or Marvell controller? If it's working fine, you can disable the storage controller setup screens from appearing in the Bios.

Luck of the draw when getting OC CPUs, could be better, could be worse or could be the same. And, a 0.008V increase is hardly anything to worry about. Could be anything. Maybe, CPU wasn't really stable at 1.280V before, CPU degrade, PSU degrade, MB degrade and/or etc.

Meh if its already degraded after 4 months then I am kinda sketched out. Thing was it was stable for 3 months at -0.005v, then had a whea, boosted it to +0.010v for a month, now its doing it again. Seems like a sketchy CPU. Wonder if Intel's RMA Chips are botched...
I doubt my temps increasing by 5-7c made it unstable. Maybe it was the PCI-E lanes. Either way luck should hopefully be on my side, 1 awful chip, one below average chip. Third time is the charm?

Kydd BlaZe

Wait...how does an SSD improve lag? I know they allow much faster loading and what not, but what exactly are we discussing here in terms of lag?

kennah

Wait...how does an SSD improve lag? I know they allow much faster loading and what not, but what exactly are we discussing here in terms of lag?
Not network lag. Daily use lag. Instead of waiting a couple seconds for a program to open it is instant.

Coldsnap

Meh if its already degraded after 4 months then I am kinda sketched out. Thing was it was stable for 3 months at -0.005v, then had a whea, boosted it to +0.010v for a month, now its doing it again. Seems like a sketchy CPU. Wonder if Intel's RMA Chips are botched...
I doubt my temps increasing by 5-7c made it unstable. Maybe it was the PCI-E lanes. Either way luck should hopefully be on my side, 1 awful chip, one below average chip. Third time is the charm?

You really think it degraded in 3 months with volts lower than 1.4? I'm just curious. Some of my work buddies run their stuff at volts over 1.4 and have since Ivy Bridge launched.

edit: I see you posted that on overclock.net. They also run the hell out of their CPUs on high voltage. I sometimes wonder how many CPUs they go through when running at 1.55 volts and folding 24/7.

Haku

Neo Member
Haha! I'm loving all the response I'm generating in this thread.

For my biggest need at the moment, gaming, an HDD is more than adequate. I'm definitely upgrading to an SSD in the future (possibly during Christmas), but at the moment, I'd rather save up towards the wave of new game releases than spend my money on an SSD.

Keyouta said:
Good thing the 1TB SSDs coming out now are at about $0.60/GB.

I couldn't imagine going back to a mechanical hard drive after making the switch to solid state. If I could only upgrade one thing in a computer, it would be putting an SSD in it.

Yeah, and the 1 TB SSD's are also $600+. For anything lower than a 256GB (which is what I would purchase), it's nearly $1 a GB.

And this isn't an simple upgrade. This is a completely new build. I'll have plenty of time to add the bells and whistles in a few months.

rybrad

I know this is kind of OT for the thread but you guys always have good suggestions. Can anyone recommend good backup software? I use my computer for work just as much as gaming and having a crash and losing all my shit before really sucked. I have been using the Windows backup but I would like something a bit more full-featured. I just finished my new build and got all my software installed so this would be an ideal time to get a fresh backup in.

Sharp

My cousin asked me to help him build a PC for around $1500 (not for gaming--it's primarily a dev workstation / server and will also handle some video editing; I think it will likely host a number of VMs in the future as well). I know next to nothing about PCs so I asked some sysops at my company and they came up with this (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1p5k0):

PC Part Picker said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Beast 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($331.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($140.28 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1551.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-06 21:16 EDT-0400)

He said he can cannibalize peripherals / his monitor from other machines so I used the extra money on more power.

Does this look okay, GAF? Did my sysop friends steer me wrong? The only thing I knowingly skimped on was the graphics card and since my cousin doesn't play games I don't think it should matter too much.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I know this is kind of OT for the thread but you guys always have good suggestions. Can anyone recommend good backup software? I use my computer for work just as much as gaming and having a crash and losing all my shit before really sucked. I have been using the Windows backup but I would like something a bit more full-featured. I just finished my new build and got all my software installed so this would be an ideal time to get a fresh backup in.

What version of Windows are you using? I'm actually quite fond of the backup option in Windows 8. Other than that I guess it depends what features exactly you're looking for.

Zaph

I really love Acronis True Image. Easy to use but very powerful.

I use it to frequently image my entire drive (doesnt take too long with an SSD), clone HDD's to SSD's, boot recovery etc.

Okay, update on my situation.

I removed the GPU completely and started up the PC. I was able to get it to boot that way. I inserted the CD that came with the card and reinstalled that way.

Restarted and plugged in the GPU. Nothing. Removed the card again, and booted without it. Checked the folder where the CD was installing the drivers (ATI Technologies) and it's empty. Googling is suggesting this complicated process of modifying files, using registry cleaners, and whatnot. Most of the advice about it is a few years old as well.

Even I did somehow manage to get this working, I still don't know what the fuck I should do to ensure that I get all of the Catalyst options this time, which is the whole reason this mess got started.

Also, the hinge came off my PCI slot when I was removing the GPU. It doesn't look like it's broken, it just sort of... slipped off. And while I was moving my case to get a better view, one of the feet stand things slid off too.

Sigh. Fucking sigh.

rybrad

What version of Windows are you using? I'm actually quite fond of the backup option in Windows 8. Other than that I guess it depends what features exactly you're looking for.
I use Windows 7. My main problem with the Windows backup is it doesn't have as many management options as I would like and it just plain refuses to back up some of my files with an error. I had also heard restoration is somewhat of a pain but I have no real experience on that personally.
I really love Acronis True Image. Easy to use but very powerful.

I use it to frequently image my entire drive (doesnt take too long with an SSD), clone HDD's to SSD's, boot recovery etc.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out!

DorianD

Hey Gaf,

Just a quick question. Would any of you know if reapplying new thermal paste would void Asus' warranty? I'm aware EVGA allows this, but not familiar with Asus' policy. I Just picked up an Asus GTX 770 direct cu ii OC version.

kennah

Yeah, and the 1 TB SSD's are also $600+. For anything lower than a 256GB (which is what I would purchase), it's nearly $1 a GB.

And this isn't an simple upgrade. This is a completely new build. I'll have plenty of time to add the bells and whistles in a few months.

Not to beat a dead horse but $170 for a 250 gig Samsung 840 is .68 cents a gig. If you don't want an ssd that's fine, but we want to make sure you go into the decision with all the facts.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so my main hard drive finally died on me altogether, and I've been wanting to upgrade my rig for a while. The thing was a Dell OEM build and had an LGA 1136 chipset, so there's not really much I could do for upgrading the processor and it overheated like crazy during anything particularly processor intensive, so I think it's time to build a big boy machine.

This is what I'm looking at right now.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL-W) - $104
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K - $320
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 DDR3 LGA 1155 Motherboards - $127
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Cards GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0 - $260
SSD: Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB Sata 2.5-Inch - $170
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) - $34
Sound: ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards - $40

Total cost for parts: $1,055

I've got plenty of parts from the last machine that should be able to use at least temporarily so that I can keep the up front costs down and then just replace them with newer/better parts over time. I plan on stealing the power supply (I forget exactly what it is off the top of my head, but the wattage should be more than sufficient to start), RAM (3x4GB Corsair), Blu-ray drive, DVD-RW drive, and the 2TB second hard drive to round out the machine and get it up and running. Eventually I'll replace the PSU and RAM for sure, since the idea is for this thing to keep me running for several years to come.

Any thoughts? This is my first time building a machine from scratch, but the only thing I've never really had experience with installing is the CPU. I'm going to check some of the links in the OP, but is there anything in particular I need to know about that in particular?

Ok, so just following up on this, the PSU in the old machine is actually weaker than I thought it was. It's only a 475W PSU. Given what I've got up here, what do you think I need as a minimum? 550?

Tried downloading drivers from AMD site. Nothing. I start the install manager, it works, it says "Installation Complete (Warnings occurred during installation). View log for details." Open log and it says everything's fine.

No sign of Catalyst installed anywhere on my PC.

Zzczkw5.gif

Wallach

The kit I built this year is actually the first PC I've built for myself that contains a SSD.

I'll probably never use a platter drive again.

kennah

Ok, so just following up on this, the PSU in the old machine is actually weaker than I thought it was. It's only a 475W PSU. Given what I've got up here, what do you think I need as a minimum? 550?

It miiiight be ok, what brand and model number? Can you take a picture of the sticker on the side of the PSU and show us?

TheD

The Detective
Tried downloading drivers from AMD site. Nothing. I start the install manager, it works, it says "Installation Complete (Warnings occurred during installation). View log for details." Open log and it says everything's fine.

No sign of Catalyst installed anywhere on my PC.

Zzczkw5.gif

So you do not have the graphics drivers installed?

And the "ATI" folder you said was empty, that was the one at the top level of the C drive right?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It miiiight be ok, what brand and model number? Can you take a picture of the sticker on the side of the PSU and show us?

Hmm, I'd have to open the case up again and poke around a bit. The short answer is it's probably not ok. It's the OEM PSU that came with the machine and seems to be a no name Chinese power supply, so if anything the stated wattage is probably wishful thinking.

So you do not have the graphics drivers installed?

And the "ATI" folder you said was empty, that was the one at the top level of the C drive right?

I used the ATI uninstaller to remove the drivers I had. Trying to reinstall them seems to have failed.

There are two folders in Program Files: "ATI" and "ATI Technologies", the latter being the folder that the ATI installer was set to install the drivers and Catalyst to. The ATI Technologies folder appears to be completely empty. The ATI folder has a few documents and such in it, but nothing very important looking.

TheD

The Detective
I used the ATI uninstaller to remove the drivers I had. Trying to reinstall them seems to have failed.

There are two folders in Program Files: "ATI" and "ATI Technologies", the latter being the folder that the ATI installer was set to install the drivers and Catalyst to. The ATI Technologies folder appears to be completely empty. The ATI folder has a few documents and such in it, but nothing very important looking.

If I reading your post right you tried to install the drivers without the card plugged in?
Without the card plugged in it should not install at all.

And with the card installed (as it is now) you are using the output from it to your monitor and not the onboard?

If you are using the output from the card (and thus the card is not 100% dead) do a system restore to the point before you started mucking around with the drivers, if you do and you no longer get any output from the card in windows or if it loads up the basic VESA drivers (what windows uses without a graphics card's own drivers installed) then the card is likely broken in some way.

kennah

Hmm, I'd have to open the case up again and poke around a bit. The short answer is it's probably not ok. It's the OEM PSU that came with the machine and seems to be a no name Chinese power supply, so if anything the stated wattage is probably wishful thinking.

Yeah, wouldn't count on it at all. Get a good PSU. They're worth the money.

If I reading your post right you tried to install the drivers without the card plugged in?
Without the card plugged in it should not install at all.

And with the card installed (as it is now) you are using the output from it to your monitor and not the onboard?

If you are using the output from the card (and thus the card is not 100% dead) do a system restore to the point before you started mucking around with the drivers, if you do and you no longer get any output from the card in windows or if it loads up the basic VESA drivers (what windows uses without a graphics card's own drivers installed) then the card is likely broken in some way.

I'm using the output from my motherboard. When I try to boot with my card installed, I just get a black screen, even though I'm using the output from the motherboard (I get no signal when I use the output from the card either).

I don't understand what I could have done that could have bricked my GPU, All I did was use the ATI installer to remove drivers. How could that damage the card?

TheD

The Detective
I'm using the output from my motherboard. When I try to boot with my card installed, I just get a black screen, even though I'm using the output from the motherboard (I get no signal when I use the output from the card either).

I don't understand what I could have done that could have bricked my GPU, All I did was use the ATI installer to remove drivers. How could that damage the card?

Well you did say that the performance went to crap before you tried mucking around with the drivers, maybe the power cycle after you removed the drivers pushed what ever was dying over the edge.

BTW What motherboard are you using? you don't happen to have an other PCIE slot you can drop the card into? (to check that something bad has not happened to the slot and not the card).

Well, this is my rock stable OC on the gpu

Slightly disappointed to be honest. Most reviews I saw with the MSI card were easily getting +140-150 on the core clock; my memory clock is great, though.

I'm going to try out the Gigabyte rev 2.0 to see if I can get a better clock. Although, I'm starting to think the +20-25 I am seeking on the core clock would be negligible at best.

CPU has been rock solid at 4.2 1.25v

brentech

I wasn't really willing to up my voltage like that. Probably why it wasn't stable in games. It completed bench tests, but would always crash during games.

Is that really what it takes? =\
I haven't tried overclocking the video since then, I just didn't want to ruin it. System is so stable as it is.

Well you did say that the performance went to crap before you tried mucking around with the drivers, maybe the power cycle after you removed the drivers pushed what ever was dying over the edge.

BTW What motherboard are you using? you don't happen to have an other PCIE slot you can drop the card into? (to check that something bad has not happened to the slot).

I have another slot, but it would require me to move some stuff around in the case to make the card fit.

Anyone know how Sapphire is about exchanging damaged products, if that is the issue?

Thorgal

question : i am currently on drivers 320. 49 but those are causing issues with ENB's in skyrim .
so i want to go back to 314 .22 as was said on the OP.

the thing i wanted to ask is is booting into safe mode a requirement for uninstalling drivers before installing the old one ?

anyone ?

maneil99

You really think it degraded in 3 months with volts lower than 1.4? I'm just curious. Some of my work buddies run their stuff at volts over 1.4 and have since Ivy Bridge launched.

edit: I see you posted that on overclock.net. They also run the hell out of their CPUs on high voltage. I sometimes wonder how many CPUs they go through when running at 1.55 volts and folding 24/7.

I have to think so, I am not 100% positive simply because a few things changed, temps increased due to a different GPU that blows air around the case instead of out the back. The OS went from a cracked version to non cracked and I used a GPU that takes more power and I was using another 8 PCI-E lanes. There is a chance it could be the montherboard but I doubt it. You think it could be the MB?

senahorse

Finally got my water cooling installed and my CPU Delidded and CLU used on the die. so my PC is just about finished (still a couple of aquabus cables to get). More details on parts used here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74343339&highlight=#post74343339. Shitty pic here:

WP_20130807_024_zps36993f86.jpg

And a real shitty pic of the bottom radiator, pumps, drain valve AND all the messy cables:

WP_20130807_030_zpsc8c11de0.jpg~original

Pic of Aquaero 5:
aq_zpsd406b106.png~original

Here is my temps before (edit: this is running on air, a Noctua DH14) running IBT (Intel Burn Test).

Tempbefore_zps9e67ac3a.png~original

Now after water cooling here are my results. As an everyday build I will be running this in silent mode (pumps turned down and fans at low RPM).

Idle Temps, with pumps running at the standard sweet spot for flow (1 gallon a minute).
Idle_zps478b5b99.png~original

IBT Set to maximum, pumps/fan in quiet operation:
IntelBurn_zps44939b7e.png~original

IBT Set to maximum, pumps/fans at max (2 Gallon a minute Flow Rate!). As you can see here there is an improvement but not much, the radiators I am using were chosen for their superior performance at low fan speeds.:
IntelBurn100_zps852b129b.png~original

As mentioned my tests are with IBT, which stresses your CPU more than Prime95, however just for comparison here is a run with Prime95 with pumps/fans in quiet mode:
prime95_zpsc1d718e0.png~original

I also stressed my GPU's for an hour running Unigine Valley and the highest I saw a GPU get to was 45C, previously I saw as high as 75C. These cards are not (yet) overclocked. Here is a benchmark for fun:

GPU_zps5a1ce642.png~original

All in all I am pretty happy with the results. There is still a fair bit of tuning to do in Aquasuite as well as adding a bunch more of temperature probes and setting up the Fill Meter. I have only scratched the surface with this Aquacomputer stuff but I am extremely impressed with it.

Le-mo

I bought a bluetooth mouse today and I can't get it to pair with my computer. The motherboard that I bought has bluetooth support and I just installed the driver for it when I bought the mouse. I browsed Google hoping for a solution but nothing seems to work. There's a yellow sign under "My Bluetooth" that says Bluetooth Radio Device is not available. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Cryst

If I'm not big into twitch gaming or multi-player FPS (generally more into third person action or Fallout/Skyrim type games), is a 144hz panel enough of a game changer to warrant a purchase, especially if I already have an IPS panel? Currently have a Dell U2410, and while it serves its purpose of "oo-pretty colors", I'm getting that itch to look into ways to improve my gaming experience (that or I'm bored and have money to burn).

Would love to hear about people's experience with 120/144hz, especially if they've moved off an IPS panel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom