• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conceptor

Hey PC-GAF, any recommendations on some home-usage routers?

The current router we use has been giving us problems for the last couple of days after quite a long time with no problems. It just continues to try (and fail) authentication with our ISP...

Product link to the current router - http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/?model=TL-WR841N#spec

It will be for 2-4 active internet users. Streaming video, heavy gaming, voip (mumble/skype) etc. Would prefer if it had DynDNS and VPN capabilities. Budget could be from $40-80 but I'm willing to go beyond that for a superior product. I'll probably be buying from NCIX, Canada Computers, Tiger Direct or Newegg.ca

Hope that helps you guys pick a recommendation!

iavi

I seem to have limited features on my Catalyst. I only have the following options, none of which mention anything about Overdrive.

NvRaHNA.png

Pretty sure drivers are up-to-date, but it seems everyone else has a few more options in the sidebar.

A solution from that thread linked a little while ago:

The solution: after the normal install (I used version 13.1), go into device manager, run "update drivers" on the Display Driver, browse to the ATI folder, and let Windows search for a newer driver there. Windows will find it and finally load it. Then, all settings magically re-appear after a restart of CCC.

That might even fix your issues without doing all the stuff I mentioned.

Chanser

Hey PC-GAF, any recommendations on some home-usage routers?

The current router we use has been giving us problems for the last couple of days after quite a long time with no problems. It just continues to try (and fail) authentication with our ISP...

Product link to the current router - http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/?model=TL-WR841N#spec

It will be for 2-4 active internet users. Streaming video, heavy gaming, voip (mumble/skype) etc. Would prefer if it had DynDNS and VPN capabilities. Budget could be from $40-80 but I'm willing to go beyond that for a superior product. I'll probably be buying from NCIX, Canada Computers, Tiger Direct or Newegg.ca

Hope that helps you guys pick a recommendation!

Look on Newegg for routers with high ratings and reviews.

I'm absolutely devastated, after saving for the past 6 months and buying parts bit by bit I finally put together my new Haswell build.

My Specs:

MB: Asus Z87 Sabertooth
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 (running at 1333 for the OC)
CPU: Intel 4670k
GPU: EVGA 660 TI FTW
Cooler: Zalman LQ310

Machine runs fine, but then I attempted overclocking, following a couple of guides, apparently the ideal test run is to set the clock to x46 and 1.2volts, if it boots, you got a good cpu capable of getting decent speeds. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Mine didn't make it sadly.

So I bumped it down and played around with the voltage and managed to get a stable overclock at 4.2ghz at 1.23 volts. Which isn't amazing but it's better than my last CPU. All was well, spent all day playing games etc perfectly fine until about 15 minutes in which I got hit by a random BSOD. I've had to bump it down to 4ghz.

The guide I followed was that Linus video. But I cant help but feel that I could be doing better. Does anyone have a more specific guide for Haswell? Or should I just accept my fate and just be happy with my below average CPU?

EDIT: Also, I cant help but feel that 4ghz at 1.2 volts is ridiculous. Is that normal?

Did you delid it at least? I won't even attempt to do major overclocks on my Haswell until I delid it. There are guides out there, but two most popular ones are razor method and the vice method.

Addnan

So sadly I haven't found any further clues about the random 2-second black screen on my 770 that happens once or twice a day.

It happened again playing League of Legends. Hadn't happened all day besides that. GPU-Z reports 41 C and I can only assume that's completely fine as a temperature. :(

I certainly don't think I've upgraded drivers unless it's doing it silently, and this time I had the (powered-off) Rift disabled as a secondary monitor.

I guess I should do a spyware check, but I haven't heard of any spyware that would make the screen go black 2 seconds.

Try upgrading to the latest drivers.

maneil99

3570k 4.5ghz

Gene V

My brain is killing me here guys. Here is my situation

I was using illegal windows 8, although this OC was testied in Win7 aswell. I had got my OC stable at 1.280v with a +0.005v Offset. No wheas after 24 hours. I had 1 whea while testing the PLL so I decided to bump it to +0.010v. Now this was stable for nearly a month. Eventually I decided to buy a legit copy of windows 8. I also bought a new GPU, went from a 680 to 780.

Now after testing with the same OC ( Prime95 ) I would hit 1.288v. even when I was using my igpu. No big deal. Until the wheas. while testing my GPU OC I got 2 wheas, not sure if they were from my GPU drivers crashing or not I decided to recreate my OC.with a new profile since I had a new OS. Now I got 31 wheas in a 9 hour span, although vcore only hit 1.280v. Whats going on here? My chip is 4 months old. Is this degradation?

Blizzard

Banned
Try upgrading to the latest drivers.
I have 320.49 and haven't changed since before this wasn't happening, I thought...which -should- mean nothing changed.

I have been advised I should get a 326 driver though, and drivers between those and 314 are bad. Is there any particular version of the 326 drivers that are especially good for 770 etc.?

Addnan

I have 320.49 and haven't changed since before this wasn't happening, I thought...which -should- mean nothing changed.

I have been advised I should get a 326 driver though, and drivers between those and 314 are bad. Is there any particular version of the 326 drivers that are especially good for 770 etc.?

The latest beta drivers are 326.41. Start with those.

If changing drivers doesn't fix it, you can try re seating the card, bringing down overclockers you have on CPU/GPU to rule all that out.

Addnan

3570k 4.5ghz

Gene V

I was using illegal windows 8, although this OC was testied in Win7 aswell. I had got my OC stable at 1.280v with a +0.005v Offset. No wheas after 24 hours. I had 1 whea while testing the PLL so I decided to bump it to +0.010v. Now this was stable for nearly a month. Eventually I decided to buy a legit copy of windows 8. I also bought a new GPU, went from a 680 to 780.

Now after testing with the same OC ( Prime95 ) I would hit 1.288v. even when I was using my igpu. No big deal. Until the wheas. while testing my GPU OC I got 2 wheas, not sure if they were from my GPU drivers crashing or not I decided to recreate my OC.with a new profile since I had a new OS. Now I got 31 wheas in a 9 hour span, although vcore only hit 1.280v. Whats going on here? My chip is 4 months old. Is this degradation?
I'm gonna go ahead and assume not many people know what the problem is, pretty sure you posted this a few time already. Have you tried the usual stuff like starting overclocking from the beginning and see when errors pop up. As in reset both cpu and GPU back to default. Some googling suggests it could be unstable and needs more voltage.

xJavonta

Banned
Still having this problem. I tried launching a game too (Dota 2 and Black Ops II) and nothing happened.

Shadowrun Returns works. But my other games still won't launch. This is weird and I can't figure out what the hell is going on.

This PC stuff is pissing me off.

maneil99

I'm gonna go ahead and assume not many people know what the problem is, pretty sure you posted this a few time already. Have you tried the usual stuff like starting overclocking from the beginning and see when errors pop up. As in reset both cpu and GPU back to default. Some googling suggests it could be unstable and needs more voltage.

I am not OCing the GPU atm. the issue is it was once rock solid now its not.

Tensketch

Did you delid it at least? I won't even attempt to do major overclocks on my Haswell until I delid it. There are guides out there, but two most popular ones are razor method and the vice method.

I haven't delidded it no, I'm a little scared to attempt delidding hence why I was only aiming for a smaller overclock and not pushing it. However would you consider 4.2ghz a major overclock? 4.5 - 4.8 yeah sure but 4-4.2?

I too just built my Haswell rig, and I recently just OC'ed my 4770k to 4.6ghz, but temps were way too high for my liking (90-95C) under Prime95 and OCCT. Afterwards, I dialed it down to 4.2ghz @ 1.15-1.2V and am now satisifed with my temps.

Getting a Haswell chip that can easily OC to 4.6ghz+ on air is basically random and a luck of the draw. If you want, you could try delidding it or a custom water loop if you want to try to obtain a higher OC otherwise I would just leave it at between 4 - 4.4ghz.

The cooler I have is the Zalman LQ310, which is their entry level closed loop liquid cooler, after reading reviews it was considered decent enough for smaller overclocks like the one I (at least thought) was doing. When running the stability temp for over an hour, one core hit 80c, that was the highest temp hit, otherwise they all averaged around 65-70.

4.6 was expecting way too much from Haswell. A lot of people can only hit about 4.2, it's all luck and with Haswell you have a greater chance of being unlucky with the chip

I understand that they are pretty unlucky, it's considered a lottery afterall. I was happy with 4.2, would've like 4.4 but 4.2 is great. Just for it to BSOD after a day of being perfectly fine and tackling the stability test with no issues or high temps.

The guide I followed essentially boiled down to these steps:

1) set to 'sync on all cores'
2) set the multiplier
3) set the voltage
4) test
5) if tests fail, go back to 2 and modify inputs, otherwise continue
6) set voltage control to 'adaptive'
7) enjoy

Which is all well and good, but I cant help feeling like there is a step missing that lets you really nail down the stability of the machine.

EDIT: Actually I have more questions:

- my stability testing involved running AIDA64 for just over an hour with no issues. Is this something I should do for longer? I considered PRIME95 but after reading around I heard that AIDA's stability test is better to run for Haswell chips.
- As the guide said, I put adaptive back on in order to get the power saving options. Are the power saving options going to kill my stability? because one of the things that attracted me to the chip was the power states.

So after the comment about the Samsung 830 SSD I realized it's not the newest model.

So my question now is... am I still better off with an 830 over an 840? Same price, but it looks like the 840 has a lower write speed and uses a different standard that means its life might not be as long? Are there any advantages of the 840 I should be aware of?

I've heard that grade of quality from best to worst is: 840 Pro, 830, followed by 840.

Some people are waiting for the 840 evo which is supposed to boss class.

I have an 830 and I can't imagine it being any faster. My skyrim loads are very close to instant on max settings.

They are really going to test how much people care about storage with the evo. 1TB SSD with insane speed? My god...but 650 doe? IDK..

kennah

They still seem... kinda-available. Though that's the 128gb.

And actually while on this train of thought, I'm going this way (128gb SSD over a hybrid SSD) on the recommendation of a friend. Would that be the general consensus over here? This drive is for windows, programs, and my Steam directory (getting a 3TB for everything else).

I'm well aware that my Steam folder can and will quickly balloon to be larger than the SSD can handle. (Windows and free space left so the drive can cache taken into account, I'd have ~75gb or so to use?). But if the true SSD is worth the difference in speed, I don't really mind. I reliably pull 3-5mb/s download speeds from Steam, so it's not a pain to just delete and have to reinstall some games when I feel like playing them again.

Steammover is your friend. Only put the games you are playing on the SSD.

Also the only advantage for gaming is loading times anyway, so you're probably fine running off the hdd anyway

Seanspeed

Banned
Just realized my motherboard, RAM, graphics card and even my case all have the same color scheme. Cool. Glad I got a case with a window now. Just means I'll have extra pressure to make sure the wiring is done as well as possible.

Got my PSU in today. Everything else should be arriving throughout the week.

Get ready for plenty of questions when I start to build!

Has there been any indication from Nvidia if the Geforce Titan line is going to be a permanent series for future generations? It's selling fairly well for an extreme enthusiast $1000 card, correct? I guess I'm just thinking about my new computer in 2 years or so. With the money I'll be spending on the PS4 and XBox One, I could buy a Titan ha ha..

Finaika

Has there been any indication from Nvidia if the Geforce Titan line is going to be a permanent series for future generations? It's selling fairly well for an extreme enthusiast $1000 card, correct? I guess I'm just thinking about my new computer in 2 years or so. With the money I'll be spending on the PS4 and XBox One, I could buy a Titan ha ha..

I would rather buy a Titan than both the PS4 and XBone if I were you.

knitoe

You can bet Nvidia will continue to sale future top tier $1000 cards whether it's call Titan or something else.

Seanspeed

Banned
Which is why you should probably think long and hard what your needs are. Personally, unless you have a ton of cash to spare and need the best of the best for super high resolution gaming with nothing less than max settings, I cant see how a Titan is worth it at all.

I'd much rather have a somewhat high end card plus a next gen console. It would give you a larger range of games to play. Losing that range of games just doesn't seem to be worth playing a smaller range of games at somewhat better settings/resolution, although that is just my personal opinion.

Addnan

You can get a 780 and have enough left over to buy a PS4. Best of both worlds.

mkenyon

Banned
For people looking for a gaming headset that will work well with virtualized surround, AKG K142's on sale on newegg today for $65. Great positional audio, great detail. Don't buy these expecting dubstep to wubwubwub you.

3570k 4.5ghz

Gene V

Are you doing this in BIOS? If not, start there.
You can get a 780 and have enough left over to buy a PS4. Best of both worlds.
That's what I'd do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833339280

Using one each in two different offices and at home. They're pretty nice.

If you use a wireless connection on your PC, think about switching to powerline.

i don't game online with my PC. I do have quite a few devices on my network at one time but the range is just terrible.

i've looked into powerline. if i gamed online on the PC I would probably consider it but right now it's all 1p games right now.

mkenyon

Banned
Consumer grade networking equipment is pretty much universally trash, and most likely needs to be replaced every ~2 years. Overspending I don't think is a good idea unless you go to an enterprise grade router like the Sonicwall I linked.

So pretty much, find something on newegg, sub-$100 that has good reviews. Use that until it dies. Repeat.

Consumer grade networking equipment is pretty much universally trash, and most likely needs to be replaced every ~2 years. Overspending I don't think is a good idea unless you go to an enterprise grade router like the Sonicwall I linked.

So pretty much, find something on newegg, sub-$100 that has good reviews. Use that until it dies. Repeat.

Alright, thanks

So sadly I haven't found any further clues about the random 2-second black screen on my 770 that happens once or twice a day.

It happened again playing League of Legends. Hadn't happened all day besides that. GPU-Z reports 41 C and I can only assume that's completely fine as a temperature. :(

I certainly don't think I've upgraded drivers unless it's doing it silently, and this time I had the (powered-off) Rift disabled as a secondary monitor.

I guess I should do a spyware check, but I haven't heard of any spyware that would make the screen go black 2 seconds.

I've had my GTX 460 for 2 years now and on some of the drivers I've used with it, I had similar problems. Random black screen, TDR and even some weird multi coloured noise shit. I'm currently using the 314.22 drivers and haven't such problems - drivers can be hit or miss sometimes.

I purchase a GTX 760 recently and I seems to be a common issue with 32x.xx drivers from what I've been reading. That's why I haven't installed my card yet lol. Though it seems people's experience vary with them.

Classic.

I'm in Canada but I doubt shipping would be more than $20, just not sure if it's worth it for the time it would take. I thought you were in Canada too for some reason

I'm sure it would be an upgrade to what I have currently but that's up to you. If you want to get rid of it, you could always ballpark shipping and if I'm under just let me know and I'll take care of it.

I would rather buy a Titan than both the PS4 and XBone if I were you.

I love my pc and definitely choose to play as many games that are ported well or exclusive to the pc. The PC is my preferred platform when done well. With that said, I regret selling my 360 for my WOW addiction back in the day. I also missed out on some of the Sony 1st party games like Uncharted and Heavy Rain.

Which is why you should probably think long and hard what your needs are. Personally, unless you have a ton of cash to spare and need the best of the best for super high resolution gaming with nothing less than max settings, I cant see how a Titan is worth it at all.

I'd much rather have a somewhat high end card plus a next gen console. It would give you a larger range of games to play. Losing that range of games just doesn't seem to be worth playing a smaller range of games at somewhat better settings/resolution, although that is just my personal opinion.
Previously, I had the GTX 570 and later upgraded to the 670. I'll probably end up getting the equivalent card when it comes to upgrading since I can play most games at max settings on 1080p 60fps. I agree with you on having the best of both worlds with a gaming pc and consoles to leave my options open.

Zornack

I'm running a 2700k @ 4.4 and a 680. I'm looking to upgrade to a 780 and possibly get a second 780 if I go for a 1440p monitor.

What kind of power supply will I need to be running SLI 780s? I have a 750w right now, a year old, will that be enough?

Addnan

I'm running a 2700k @ 4.4 and a 680. I'm looking to upgrade to a 780 and possibly get a second 780 if I go for a 1440p monitor.

What kind of power supply will I need to be running SLI 780s? I have a 750w right now, a year old, will that be enough?
Should be more than enough assuming its not one of those off brand cheap ones. Which power supply is it?

knitoe

If you are planning to spend $1000 or more on video cards, get at least a 1000W PSU. PSU should not be a hardware piece you want to go cheap. Most PSU are most efficient at around 50% load and I wouldn't want to run 80% or greater load long term constantly.

mkenyon

Banned
So rad. At PAX this year:

CaseModders: Making Computers & Consoles Cooler.

What is CaseModding? CaseModding is where hardware and video game enthusiasts modify a computer or console case to show off the internal components, improve hardware performance, and/or redesign the look and theme of the case. These hobbyist turn computers into art and make consoles in center pieces. Join a panel of Modding Pros as they talk about their cases, methods, worklogs, techniques, water cooling and tools. Time will be made available for Q&A.

PANELISTS:
Charlie Falcone [GentlemanDingo Designs], Brian Carter [Bods Mods], Richard Surroz [Out of the Box Mods], Bob Stewart [BSMods], Mike Landenberger [Lutro0 Customs]

So i'm looking to build a new PC after not having one for awhile.
Its going to be entirely for gaming.
going to hook it up to 1, maybe 2 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor
Would the excellent build run most things at max, or should i upgrade the CPU(i7) and GPU? Or owuld you go in an entirely different direction? I havn't built a PC in about 6 years, surprised to see how cheap they are.

Addnan

So i'm looking to build a new PC after not having one for awhile.
Its going to be entirely for gaming.
going to hook it up to 1, maybe 2 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor
Would the excellent build run most things at max, or should i upgrade the CPU(i7) and GPU? Or owuld you go in an entirely different direction? I havn't built a PC in about 6 years, surprised to see how cheap they are.

The excellent build with the 760 probably won't be enough to play most games at high settings and get good fps at 1440p. Go for a 7970/770 or even a 780 if you can.

mkenyon

Banned
It will be called the R9-XXXX

They'll keep the XXXX portion consistent from here on out, and change the RX number. October is the last rumored released date, there hasn't been anything close to an official word yet.

Also, check out this rumor:

900x900px-LL-7ede383b_AMD-Phenom-IV-X12-170.jpeg

12 Cores
75W TDP
6GHz
24MB L3 Cache

If this isn't fake, this is stupid awesome.

Addnan

so enthusiast would probably be my best bet?

Yeah.

To anyone that knows, what is the approximate date for Ivy-E, seen several dates thrown around. I would really like to recommend people wait for Ivy-E if they are spending so much on a build, but am really a unsure of an approximate release.

ss_lemonade

So rad. At PAX this year:

CaseModders: Making Computers & Consoles Cooler.

What is CaseModding? CaseModding is where hardware and video game enthusiasts modify a computer or console case to show off the internal components, improve hardware performance, and/or redesign the look and theme of the case. These hobbyist turn computers into art and make consoles in center pieces. Join a panel of Modding Pros as they talk about their cases, methods, worklogs, techniques, water cooling and tools. Time will be made available for Q&A.

PANELISTS:
Charlie Falcone [GentlemanDingo Designs], Brian Carter [Bods Mods], Richard Surroz [Out of the Box Mods], Bob Stewart [BSMods], Mike Landenberger [Lutro0 Customs]
What day though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom