• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, after a little research I've figured out how the fan controller's cables are supposed to work, so my question now is:

Am I better off leaving the chassis fans plugged directly into the motherboard and let the system handle it, or should I plug them into the fan controller switch and control them manually?

kennah

Ok, after a little research I've figured out how the fan controller's cables are supposed to work, so my question now is:

Am I better off leaving the chassis fans plugged directly into the motherboard and let the system handle it, or should I plug them into the fan controller switch and control them manually?

Entirely up to you. Some people like them in the motherboard to monitor, others let the fan controller handle stuff.

Quick GPU question. I'm going with a GTX 770 for my upcoming build. I've noticed that versions of the card with 4GB VRAM instead of 2GB are going for about ~$50 more. Worth it?

I'm gonna be on a single 1080P monitor at the moment, so I'm aware that in terms of right now, the 2GB is more than enough to pretty much run anything at 60FPS on High settings. It's more of a future-proofing question because;

1. Within a few months time I may very well buy a second monitor and gather that more VRAM might be a good thing at larger resolutions.
2. I'm also kinda gathering that since the PS4 and XBO have more VRAM that it's very possible that a year from now, PC releases may also start to become more VRAM thirsty?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Quick GPU question. I'm going with a GTX 770 for my upcoming build. I've noticed that versions of the card with 4GB VRAM instead of 2GB are going for about ~$50 more. Worth it?

I'm gonna be on a single 1080P monitor at the moment, so I'm aware that in terms of right now, the 2GB is more than enough to pretty much run anything at 60FPS on High settings. It's more of a future-proofing question because;

1. Within a few months time I may very well buy a second monitor and gather that more VRAM might be a good thing at larger resolutions.
2. I'm also kinda gathering that since the PS4 and XBO have more VRAM that it's very possible that a year from now, PC releases may also start to become more VRAM thirsty?

lol, this question should be in the OP by now.

The 4gb 770 has a 256 bit bus. Some people say it's like a Ferrari with flat tires.

For the foreseeable future it will be fine. I wouldn't worry about future proofing. By the time games start requiring 4gb then you're probably going to want an entirely new card.

I say go for the 4gb.

Yeah, I'm aware that "future proofing" is usually a redundant effort with PCs lol. I'd like to try and make it 2+ years without upgrading. My build is set up so I'll have the option to SLI, but it's kinda seeming like any potential window when a second 770 would become both a cost and performance effective option instead of just buying a new card would probably be a very small one.

kennah

Yeah, I'm aware that "future proofing" is usually a redundant effort with PCs lol. I'd like to try and make it 2+ years without upgrading. My build is set up so I'll have the option to SLI, but it's kinda seeming like any potential window when a second 770 would become both a cost and performance effective option instead of just buying a new card would probably be a very small one.

Don't future proof.

Don't plan for SLI to be a solution.

Stay middle of the road and upgrade frequently.

Your 770 should last two years easily.

rafbanaan

The motherboard comes with SATA cables.

Since you're spending that much anyway, spend a little more and get a Z87 and K series processor for overclocking. (and change to the hyper 212 instead of the 412)

Well, the motherboard comes with two SATA cables, but I need three: SSD-HDD-Optical Drive.

To be honest, I won't overclock so would it still be interesting? I'm changing the CPU cooler as we speak.

Xisiqomelir

So I was going to carry on holding off, but I saw that Broadwell got shelved, I already bought a case, and Haswell is good at my number one and number two use scenarios with just the HD 4600.

I might go down to the computer shop tomorrow and impulse buy.

kennah

Well, the motherboard comes with two SATA cables, but I need three: SSD-HDD-Optical Drive.

To be honest, I won't overclock so would it still be interesting? I'm changing the CPU cooler as we speak.

If you aren't overclocking you don't really need a better cooler (though it is quieter)

RSTEIN

If you're not overclocking don't get the EVO. Just use the stock cooler.

edit: fuck!

Ok, I'll add: if you're set on installing the EVO anyway (for whatever reason) then just get the K processor. It's very, very easy to overclock and will give you a bit of performance boost.

rafbanaan

You can pretty safely bump down to a 550watt PSU to save a few dimes.

If you aren't overclocking you don't really need a better cooler (though it is quieter)

Ok, I'll add: if you're set on installing the EVO anyway (for whatever reason) then just get the K processor. It's very, very easy to overclock and will give you a bit of performance boost.

Alright, what if I do this?

PSU -> 550W (xfx 550 pro) and I go for an Z87 Mobo / 4670K Cpu. With the price change from 650 to 550 I could go for the option.

Shaldome

Alright, put my orders out for the water cooling equipment.

1 x XSPC Xtreme Radiator RX360
1 x XSPC Xtreme Radiator RX240
1 x EK Water Blocks EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Nickel
2 x EK Water Blocks EK-FC680 GTX+ - Nickel
1 x XSPC D5 Vario Pump with no front cover
1 x EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ - Acetal reservoir
5 x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP-15

plus PrimoChill tubing and black EK fittings. Everything goes into my Switch 810 case.

Also ordered a Corsair Professional Series HX850 power supply, as I think with some more overclocking my old one would have bin near it's limit.
Hope everything arrives during the next week. Still have to think about delidding my 3770k ...

steadfast

My i5 750 build is 3 years old at this point.

I'm looking towards upcoming PC releases, mostly BF4 and planning out my next upgrade. Even if I decide to go with the median GTX 760, my i5 750 is going to choke, right? It's time for a new CPU, yes?

kharma45

My i5 750 build is 3 years old at this point.

I'm looking towards upcoming PC releases, mostly BF4 and planning out my next upgrade. Even if I decide to go with the median GTX 760, my i5 750 is going to choke, right? It's time for a new CPU, yes?

Have you overclocked it? If not do and it'll have a new lease of life.

Seanspeed

Banned
you get your stuff worked out?
Some of it. Had to stop for the night and need a few items tomorrow.

Its getting on, though. Should be really nice and setup by Saturday to take pics.

I'll probably run it for a week or so to get a feel for what it can do before overclocking.

I also need to get the UK NFL Rewind thing(called Gamepass here) as soon as I'm online. Its not cheap but hell if I'm gonna miss out on football just cuz I'm over here.

kennah

UUUGGGGHH, if only I had the cash right now :p I love when people list things on Craigslist for too cheap

Date Listed 08-Aug-13
Price $400.00
custom gaming computer for sale

"SPECS - ASUS motherboard LGA1155 socket, Intel Core i7 3.4GHz Quad Core processor, 500 GB Hard Drive, 750 Watt power supply, 8GB Ram ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"

Even second hand prices -
Motherboard 80-120
CPU 200-250 (it's an i7-2600, might be K)
psu 30-80
660 - 125-160
ram - 30-50
case - 20-60
hard drive - 50
optical if there is one 10

Great deal. Too bad. I need an i7 :p

Thorgal

UUUGGGGHH, if only I had the cash right now :p I love when people list things on Craigslist for too cheap

Date Listed 08-Aug-13
Price $400.00

"SPECS - ASUS motherboard LGA1155 socket, Intel Core i7 3.4GHz Quad Core processor, 500 GB Hard Drive, 750 Watt power supply, 8GB Ram ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card"

Motherboard 80-120
psu 30-80
660 - 125-160
ram - 30-50
case - 20-60
hard drive - 50

Damn .Slap a 760 in there and boom. cheap high end PC .

knitoe

lol, this question should be in the OP by now.

The 4gb 770 has a 256 bit bus. Some people say it's like a Ferrari with flat tires.

For the foreseeable future it will be fine. I wouldn't worry about future proofing. By the time games start requiring 4gb then you're probably going to want an entirely new card.

I say go for the 4gb.

Bad example. More like, having a Ferrari and driving offroad. 4GB 256 bit bus is plenty for 1080p. Otherwise, it would be pointless for the X1/PS4 have 8GB on the same 256 bit bus. The problem (offroad) is it's not enough for 1440p plus resolution and/or high AA, but currently, that's the only way to use >2GB coded VRAM limit. Once X1/PS4 are out, expect coded VRAM limit to increase to 3-4GB at 1080p.

Well, my first ever gaming rig is here and alive. Sadly spent most of the evening with it in set-up mode and beginning the slow process of downloading my steam library (and installing my girlfriends horrendous amount of sims 3 expansions). Thankfully skyrim is done and witcher 2 is half way there so I should squeeze in a bit of fun before bedtime. Cheers to anyone who answered any questions I asked

1094068_10201599661573917_963688723_o.jpg

A small pic of my new pc corner haha, it's humble beginnings, but I';m pleased with it. Fractal Node 304 and a asus vg23ah to start me off, maybe in a few years I'll have worked my way up to a 1440p 144hz with a tower beside but I'm very happy for now.

kharma45

Building a new PC for my girlfriend's father and I just snagged a Core i3 2100, Asus P8H61-MX R2.0 and 8GB of Crucial RAM for £122.99. It's a refurb bundle with a year warranty so that's some peace of mind.

Had originally been considering a Pentium G2120 build but this works out a fair bit cheaper, around £20 or so. He's only using it for Office and web browsing so should nip along nicely enough.

kharma45

It's not the latest and greatest tech but he's coming from an XP machine with an E5300 and 1GB RAM so will be a nice bump up. Considered the Pentium due to it being cooler and using less power but the i3 was cheaper and will still be perfectly capable despite being a bit older.

PSU and HDD already arrived, just need to get a case for him now. Bitfenix Merc looks to be the best option, build will come out at around £250 all in all if I go for it.

It's not the latest and greatest tech but he's coming from an XP machine with an E5300 and 1GB RAM so will be a nice bump up. Considered the Pentium due to it being cooler and using less power but the i3 was cheaper and will still be perfectly capable despite being a bit older.

PSU and HDD already arrived, just need to get a case for him now. Bitfenix Merc looks to be the best option, build will come out at around £250 all in all if I go for it.

That upgrade is going to feel so fast to him. One of the downsides of being so cutting edge like us is that it can be hard sometimes to notice the speed difference if you upgrade frequently.

kharma45

That upgrade is going to feel so fast to him. One of the downsides of being so cutting edge like us is that it can be hard sometimes to notice the difference if you upgrade frequently.

Yep should be pretty nice. I did what I told everyone else not to do and bought a Corsair CX PSU, the 430M, but it'll not exactly be stressed in this build and the XFX I wanted was working out too expensive and hard to get hold of when I ordered the PSU. I tried to convince him to go for an SSD and forgo an HDD but he said he never turns his PC off (only sleep/stand by) so he doesn't care about that and would rather save £75 or so.

slapnuts

Date Listed 08-Aug-13
Price $400.00

Motherboard 80-120
psu 30-80
660 - 125-160
ram - 30-50
case - 20-60
hard drive - 50

Man thats a great deal there dude

Yep should be pretty nice. I did what I told everyone else not to do and bought a Corsair CX PSU, the 430M, but it'll not exactly be stressed in this build and the XFX I wanted was working out too expensive and hard to get hold of when I ordered the PSU. I tried to convince him to go for an SSD and forgo an HDD but he said he never turns his PC off (only sleep/stand by) so he doesn't care about that and would rather save £75 or so.

That gives you a great option to purchase an SSD for his birthday or another holiday then. ;) I'm sure the Corsair CX will be fine. I've seen a lot worse in something like my late grandfather's cheap ass office depot desktop.

kharma45

That gives you a great option to purchase an SSD for his birthday or another holiday then. ;) I'm sure the Corsair CX will be fine. I've seen a lot worse in something like my late grandfather's cheap ass office depot desktop.

Ha true.

The modular CXs are supposed to be better built than the non-modular ones, and I bought it from Amazon so at least there is no hassle if something goes wrong.

So what 120hrz monitor should I get?

There are 2 144hrz that are listed in the op that use the same panel (I think) both are good, but one much easier to get in Europe and cheaper. Benq has another 144 coming as well.

By the by. What are the odds we will be seeing some new 2011 boards with ivy-e? I mean there isn't much different is there, and know it can just be a bios update to the older ones.

Date Listed 08-Aug-13
Price $400.00

Motherboard 80-120
psu 30-80
660 - 125-160
ram - 30-50
case - 20-60
hard drive - 50

That's exactly the kind of deal I try to look for. Instead, I find people near me trying to sell their 6 year old HP or Dell shitbox for that price. I know Apple computers tend to retain more value, but I can't believe the nerve of some people trying to sell their old, old Apple gear at near brand new prices. They're not even classics like the 1st crt iMac or anything special like that.

x3sphere

My opinion... no one should ever use the stock cooler even if you aren't overclocking. It's pretty damn loud in my experience, compared to something like the Evo.

kennah

That's exactly the kind of deal I try to look for. Instead, I find people near me trying to sell their 6 year old HP or Dell shitbox for that price. I know Apple computers tend to retain more value, but I can't believe the nerve of some people trying to sell their old, old Apple gear at near brand new prices. They're not even classics like the 1st crt iMac or anything special like that.
A deal like this comes up once, maybe twice a year. I jumped on the last one (i7-2600k, gigabyte h61 itx board, 8 gigs of ram and an h60 in a sg05) for $400, but looks like I didn't nab this one.

The other deal I ended up selling the cpu board and ram for $350, keeping the sfx psu for my splash and giving the sg05 to a friend in exchange for some fence building labour.

mkenyon

Banned
By the by. What are the odds we will be seeing some new 2011 boards with ivy-e? I mean there isn't much different is there, and know it can just be a bios update to the older ones.
With EVGA releasing the Dark, I think other companies will follow. I would have expected to see some teasers/leaked photos by now though.

RoKKeR

Hey so I'm looking for a monitor to take with my to college that I want to use for TV, PS4, and PC. In order to connect to the campus cable service, it needs a QAM tuner than I know most TV's have but I wasn't sure about monitors.

After glancing over the OP I figured the ASUS VS247H-P would be my best bet when it comes to price/performance, but I couldn't find anything on it about the QAM thing. Thoughts?

RSTEIN

Bad example. More like, having a Ferrari and driving offroad. 4GB 256 bit bus is plenty for 1080p. Otherwise, it would be pointless for the X1/PS4 have 8GB on the same 256 bit bus. The problem (offroad) is it's not enough for 1440p plus resolution and/or high AA, but currently, that's the only way to use >2GB coded VRAM limit. Once X1/PS4 are out, expect coded VRAM limit to increase to 3-4GB at 1080p.

You're right, that is a better example. But correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Sony/MS saying the consoles are "4k ready"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom