• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

Holy shit, no that's not normal.

Also, I use a G9x as well. That is not normal behavior. If your frame times are consistent your mouse movement should be smooth as silk.

If your dpi settings are very low and your in game sensitivity is very high you may get something like that I guess.

It's not nearly as bad as that, and it's not every game. But I still notice it a bit. Playable.

Might try to reinstall the OS or something. I'll try the DPI settings see if that changes anything.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I wouldn't buy Haswell as the next-gen consoles are using AMD, and the graphic cards are optimized to work with AMD cpus.

There's going to be a lot of advantages to shift, also a change from DirectX to OpenGL.

Addnan

I wouldn't buy Haswell as the next-gen consoles are using AMD, and the graphic cards are optimized to work with AMD cpus.

There's going to be a lot of advantages to shift, also a change from DirectX to OpenGL.
Where are you getting that from. Devs can try to multi thread engines as much as they want, current i5/i7s will outperform the AMDs with ease just because of it's far superior per core performance. On the graphics side I would highly doubt it will make a difference, Nvidia will continue to moneyhat devs as will AMD and it won't make the slightest difference.

itxaka

Defeatist
Having an am3+ mobo and an amd x4 3.2 should I update to a newer amd cpu or my gains will be really small? Thing is, I don't wanna change my mobo and I got a spare mobo that I could move my cpu so I end up with 2 pcs :D
But if the gain is minimum, I should start looking at Intel instead.

Any thoughts?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Greetings from my new build!

Intel i5 3.4 ghz, 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, and 4 GB vidcard all running wild and free. Im fucking dreaming. This thing is running Trine 2 in full detail with enough Chrome tabs open to choke lesser mortals. This was so so so worth it. and now more importantly I have learned how to build a functional computer!
You can probably run 2 or 2.5 instances of Trine 2 at full speed :lol

Don't be afraid to stress it and see what it can do.
Are mouses supposed to stutter a bit?

I don't know if it's just me, but I bought a new mouse pad and it still can't get rid of some stuttering when I move my mouse around in FPS or camera movements.

Maybe it's just me as I come from consoles and expect smooth camera movements.

Tried different mouse, the same thing.
That is super weird. Check that your mouse setting in Windows is 6/11 speed / sensitivity and your mouse drivers are good. Try a different surface as well. Probably reinstall graphic drivers while you are at it.

Gonna have to back up that statement
Having an am3+ mobo and an amd x4 3.2 should I update to a newer amd cpu or my gains will be really small? Thing is, I don't wanna change my mobo and I got a spare mobo that I could move my cpu so I end up with 2 pcs :D
But if the gain is minimum, I should start looking at Intel instead.

Any thoughts?
Depends what you want or need the speed for.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Where are you getting that from. Devs can try to multi thread engines as much as they want, current i5/i7s will outperform the AMDs with ease just because of it's far superior per core performance. On the graphics side I would highly doubt it will make a difference, Nvidia will continue to moneyhat devs as will AMD and it won't make the slightest difference.

Gonna have to back up that statement

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/i...rmance-increase-nextgen-consoles-release.html

This thread baby, devs are going to start taking advantage of the multiple cores on the consoles, and will also do the same on the PCs. Don't buy anything now, just wait.

http://developer.amd.com/resources/heterogeneous-computing/opencl-zone/

As for OpenGL, it is faster than DirectX, and is royalty free, which is why developers are gravitating towards it. Moreover, the tandem of OpenCL and CPU + GPU integration will push heterogeneous compute. That was the whole reason AMD bought ATi.

Khronos FTW.

It's all about the heterogeneous compute. Be happy with whatever you have now, just wait. Patience.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/i...rmance-increase-nextgen-consoles-release.html

This thread baby, devs are going to start taking advantage of the multiple cores on the consoles, and will also do the same on the PCs. Don't buy anything now, just wait.

http://developer.amd.com/resources/heterogeneous-computing/opencl-zone/

As for OpenGL, it is faster than DirectX, and is royalty free, which is why developers are gravitating towards it. Moreover, the tandem of OpenCL and CPU + GPU integration will push heterogeneous compute. That was the whole reason AMD bought ATi.

Khronos FTW.

It's all about the heterogeneous compute. Be happy with whatever you have now, just wait. Patience.
Not really giving a strong argument here.
'8' 1.8Ghz low power laptop cores are going to compete with desktop Quads with 2-3x IPC? Best case scenario is that AMD closes the IPC gap as much as possible with their new chips and next-gen games aggressively take advantage of the extra cores to a competitive point.

HSA is mainly for integrated and not gaming desktop usage (It is very important for mass market and AMD, just not desktop gaming).
Just because I'm upgrading my gtx460 and I don't want the cpu to be a bottleneck for 1080p gaming :D
I'd nab your GPU upgrade, OC your x4 and see if you feel limited in anything. A good clocked x4 can achieve 60FPS in a great amount of non-RTS titles.

SMT

Not really giving a strong argument here.
'8' 1.8Ghz low power laptop cores are going to compete with desktop Quads with 2-3x IPC? Best case scenario is that AMD closes the IPC gap as much as possible with their new chips and next-gen games aggressively take advantage of the extra cores to a competitive point.

HSA is mainly for integrated and not gaming desktop usage (It is very important for mass market and AMD, just not desktop gaming).

If AMD can be competitive again, it will be a victory great for the market as it would lower the price of Intel CPUs, and force them to release significantly updated hardware, with 6-8 cores. Intel has a monopoly on the market now with quads. The consoles should help promulgate the use of multiple cores within games, just like Skyrim.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'd nab your GPU upgrade, OC your x4 and see if you feel limited in anything. A good clocked x4 can achieve 60FPS in a great amount of non-RTS titles.

Yeah I used to have it OC to 3.8Ghz but it started giving me problems about 4 months ago. Too much heating, random reboots and such. Tested it with a burn-in cpu pragram and it was quite inestable at 3.8, then at 3.6. About 3.4 was the max for it.

Not sure if a bad batch or It just burned out after 18 months at 3.8...will try thougth, thanks for the recommendation :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A bit weird that third party sellers are selling for cheap too. Reminds me of the 7950 incident.
A lot of prices are changed by ROBOTS. IIRC there was some case where two bots on an item wanted to be the 'premium' option so they outbid each other constantly until the item was tens of thousands.

SGRU

I'm not sure what the price is in euros, but I literally just got the Asus VG23AH a few days ago. I didn't want to go up to 27" or 2560x1440 either. As a 1080p monitor for gaming, it seems pretty much perfect, and comes well regarded on gaf and elsewhere. Low input lag and response time, IPS, but not full matte, and with it in front of me, a really slick monitor. My pc doesn't arrive til tomorrow but I've had some good gmaing sessions on it with my 360 and ps3 already and it was great. Has 3d functionality, not really what you'd buy the monitor for, but it's there.

Thanks! It also haves two HDMI inputs and its around 230 euros.

Any other model I should consider?

cajunator

Banned
Well, here goes nothin'.

Something's definitely rolling around in the sound card's box. That doesn't bode well.

EDIT: Nevermind just a couple little screws.

Seems like a similar kind of build that I just did, except you have a better board and chipset. I was pretty amazed at how easy it was to build. I honestly thought it would be much harder. I basically unboxed everything yesterday morning and by nightfall was ready to test boot. By 11 PM the computer was ready to rock. This thread is absolutely wonderful for information and suggestions.

Seanspeed

Banned
Installed my heatsink, but it twists around a little bit when holding it. How bad is that?

Do I need to completely take it off, clean the CPU and redo it? If so, I'm taking it to a shop. I'm deathly scared of hurting the motherboard and cant get it into the case any other way.

Edit: this is fucking nerve racking. Dont know how anybody could enjoy it. I just know my shit will be lucky to even start up. Probably messed up the motherboard trying to get these screws in.

Edit2: yea, one of the screws was twirling around as i screwed it in, gotta take the whole thing out cuz i dont know what the fuck is wrong with it. This sucks cuz it was already a pain getting the screws in the first time. Fuck

Wallach

Installed my heatsink, but it twists around a little bit when holding it. How bad is that?

Do I need to completely take it off, clean the CPU and redo it? If so, I'm taking it to a shop. I'm deathly scared of hurting the motherboard and cant get it into the case any other way.

Edit: this is fucking nerve racking. Dont know how anybody could enjoy it. I just know my shit will be lucky to even start up. Probably messed up the motherboard trying to get these screws in.

Haha, relax. Installing a heatsink is definitely the most intimidating part of putting together a modern PC. It isn't that odd for some heatsinks to be able to turn, especially so if you just seated it with fresh thermal grease. Some of them (like Hyper-212s) will always be able to rotate if you try to turn them, because the bracket is preventing the heatsink from putting excessive pressure on the CPU die.

Seanspeed

Banned
Haha, relax. Installing a heatsink is definitely the most intimidating part of putting together a modern PC. It isn't that odd for some heatsinks to be able to turn, especially so if you just seated it with fresh thermal grease. Some of them (like Hyper-212s) will always be able to rotate if you try to turn them, because the bracket is preventing the heatsink from putting excessive pressure on the CPU die.
Alright, I'm gonna try and breath a bit.

Next problem: the i/o shield has these tabs pushing out on the mobo inputs. It looks bad. Whats up with thst? Normal?

Wallach

Alright, I'm gonna try and breath a bit.

Next problem: the i/o shield has these tabs pushing out on the mobo inputs. It looks bad. Whats up with thst? Normal?

The real thin metal bits that bend inward? It's normal. It sounds a little weird but they're just going to snug up the I/O plate.

As for your screw that was turning, it's possible that the nut on the back of the motherboard (the one holding the backplate for the heatsink) might not be snugged up. You can probably check that easier if your case allows you to take off the other side, as a lot of them have windows cut in the case wall for that very thing.

Anteater

meh, bought the wrong rams, dude gave me the wrong ones :( and I'm a noob so I didn't know (i don't know what they look like lol)

Ima have to go back tomorrow, need to pick up a case too anyway.

Seanspeed

Banned
The real thin metal bits that bend inward? It's normal. It sounds a little weird but they're just going to snug up the I/O plate.

As for your screw that was turning, it's possible that the nut on the back of the motherboard (the one holding the backplate for the heatsink) might not be snugged up. You can probably check that easier if your case allows you to take off the other side, as a lot of them have windows cut in the case wall for that very thing.
Yea thats all it was but I had to take the whole thing off to fix it.

But.....I'm gonna have to wait til like next week now. Apparently the power supply maker has never actually tested out their product. If they had, they would know the CPU power cable is like an inch too short. What. The. Fuck. I'm pissed.

Addnan

Yea thats all it was but I had to take the whole thing off to fix it.

But.....I'm gonna have to wait til like next week now. Apparently the power supply maker has never actually tested out their product. If they had, they would know the CPU power cable is like an inch too short. What. The. Fuck. I'm pissed.

That sucks man, can't you just run the CPU cable through the front for now whilst you wait for an extender? it will look a little messy, but it will be fine whilst you wait for that.

daninthemix

What's the go-to CPU for gaming these days? I'm running an i5-2500k @ 4GHz which I got a few years back. Is there a significant, reasonably priced upgrade out there?

Seanspeed

Banned
That sucks man, can't you just run the CPU cable through the front for now whilst you wait for an extender? it will look a little messy, but it will be fine whilst you wait for that.
I havent put the graphics card in yet, so not sure. Is there room for a cable to run over it? Is that safe?

Addnan

What's the go-to CPU for gaming these days? I'm running an i5-2500k @ 4GHz which I got a few years back. Is there a significant, reasonably priced upgrade out there?

Not really, 2500K is still great. Current go to CPU is a 3570K which is only a little step up from 2500K. You should be able to get your 2500K a little higher.

Addnan

I havent put the graphics card in yet, so not sure. Is there room for a cable to run over it? Is that safe?

Usually you would take the CPU cable behind the motherboard tray and get it to pop out of the top so it just reaches the CPU socket. Once the GPU is in instead of doing that just run it over the GPU and straight into the socket. Theres not danger, it will look a little messy.

daninthemix

Not really, 2500K is still great. Current go to CPU is a 3570K which is only a little step up from 2500K. You should be able to get your 2500K a little higher.

Okay, thanks. Well, I had it at 4.4 for a while but I was getting the odd blue screen, although I never ascertained entirely whether that was the fault of some of the games I was playing at the time (Mass Effect?).

Thanks! It also haves two HDMI inputs and its around 230 euros.

Any other model I should consider?

No bother at all, I just did this song and dance myself the last week or so, so it's all still fresh in my mind haha. Remaining in the realm of 1080p, the only two major things the one I recommended you doesn't cover are: it's a 60hz display, not 144hz, and the mentioned so so 3d.

The asus VG248QE would cover you on both of those but you would be looking at moving a decent punch above the budget you wanted to stick to for it, and 144hz then becomes a question of having a gpu that can push framerates that high. If you're really interested in 3D it's a much better recommendation, but at the price you said, I think the VG23AH is a good shout :)

EDIT: Oh, and both have built in speakers, if that makes any difference at all.

Addnan

Okay, thanks. Well, I had it at 4.4 for a while but I was getting the odd blue screen, although I never ascertained entirely whether that was the fault of some of the games I was playing at the time (Mass Effect?).
Blue screens could be from a lot of things especially if random and not straight after a OC, but if it stopped after you toned down the OC I guess it could be related.

Did you use Prime95 to test for stability? Increase voltage a little when there is instability. 2500K maxing out at 4.0 is pretty low. You would have to be quite unlucky to get a 2500K that overclocks that poorly.

News Bot

Banned
MSI's "OC Genie" function is pretty handy. Overclocks a 3570K straight from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz with one button with the appropriate settings.

Just used it to test temperatures I can expect. All good thus far, mostly just hovering from 34C at idle to about 45C under load, though haven't tested full load yet.

Addnan

MSI's "OC Genie" function is pretty handy. Overclocks a 3570K straight from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz with one button with the appropriate settings.

Just used it to test temperatures I can expect. All good thus far, mostly just hovering from 34C at idle to about 45C under load, though haven't tested full load yet.
You will get it higher with lower voltages if you do it manually!

I played with OC Genie at first, took my 3570K to 4.3 and voltage was around 1.3. Manually I can get it stable at 4.6 with 1.2. Might be able to push higher, never tried.

Just in general, like the mouse skips a movement. Very subtle, but it's noticeable to me. Tried removing drivers and still doesn't help.

I can't enable V-sync as it gives me a lot of input lag, even with triple buffering. With the mouse being a bit jerky, it adds to that skipping effect. Using a G9x. I've even considered getting a 120/144hz monitor just to get rid of this framerate slow feel. This slow framerate feel is apart from the mouse issue. Hard to explain.

i5 3570k
GTX 670
8gb RAM

The mouse stutter is comparable to this. When moving with a keyboard, everything looks fine. Even using the camera with an Xbox 360 controller, it's smooth. I use a mouse, and this happens. It's much more tolerable and less noticeable than the video show here, but it is still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLt9AU7Mj4

Good man.

If it's smooth when you run with a keyboard then you can rule out framerate issues/frameskipping

Try a different mouse? I own a g9x too and it's a piece of shit anyways. Wish I had bought a new lachesis when my old one croaked.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont understand how to hook up my exhaust fan. Its got a large 4 pin connector. Where does this plug into? My case umbilicals has the same connector as does my power supply. All of them are double ended as well.

I dont get it.

Also, my case has a fan controller. Guess that has something to do with it?

Addnan

I dont understand how to hook up my exhaust fan. Its got a large 4 pin connector. Where does this plug into? My case umbilicals has the same connector as does my power supply. All of them are double ended as well.

I dont get it.

The case fans should have both big molex and smaller 3 pins that plug into the motherboard. Use the smaller pins. If you use the molex it will run at full speed all the time. You plug the small pins onto motherboard headers. They will have 3 pins. If you can't find them, check the manual

q2wRl9Ul.jpg

hqAzXri.jpg

Tensketch

My overclocking days are over.

After thinking I had a stable OC at 4.2ghz, I got a BSOD while surfing the internet.

So the next day, I bumped it down to 4.0ghz and once again, BSOD while surfing the internet.

Not running games, or any cpu heavy programs, but surfing the internet.

I've gone back to default, Haswell are a nightmare chip for overclocking and I frankly cannot be arsed with it.

angelic

Banned
Is Windows 7 64bit still the way people are going these days when building new pcs, or is Win 8 acceptable now? Dont want to pay £80 license for the wrong one..

Addnan

Is Windows 7 64bit still the way people are going these days when building new pcs, or is Win 8 acceptable now? Dont want to pay £80 license for the wrong one..

Doesn't really matter, both very similar. w8 will support DirectX 11.2. I've been using 8 since January and haven't missed 7 too much.

Mad Max

My overclocking days are over.

After thinking I had a stable OC at 4.2ghz, I got a BSOD while surfing the internet.

So the next day, I bumped it down to 4.0ghz and once again, BSOD while surfing the internet.

Not running games, or any cpu heavy programs, but surfing the internet.

I've gone back to default, Haswell are a nightmare chip for overclocking and I frankly cannot be arsed with it.

Do you have any C states or EIST enabled? Turn them off.

angelic

Banned
Doesn't really matter, both very similar. w8 will support DirectX 11.2. I've been using 8 since January and haven't missed 7 too much.

TY.

Just specced this up from local pc place, really dont want to build it myself. Needs to be mini tower for the space, but gaming capable. Low noise too. Any holes in this plan that may jump out to anyone? Price £1200

Processor : 1 x Intel Core I5-3570K Quad Core, Socket 1155, 3.4 Ghz, Ivy Bridge, Retail Boxed
CPU Cooler : 1 x Coolermaster Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling kit
Motherboard : 1 x Gigabyte Intel Z77 Mini ITX (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Case : 1 x BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Cube Case - Midnight Black
Memory : 1 x Corsair 16Gb Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 Kit (2x 8GB) - Low Profile
Video Card : 1 x Sapphire 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3GB GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0/850MHz/5000MHz)
Harddrive : 1 x Samsung 256Gb 840 2.5” SATA III PRO SSD Solid State Drive
Harddrive_2 : 1 x Western Digital WD20EAZX 2TB Caviar Green SATA-3 64MB 3.5 Inch OEM
Psu : 1 x Cooler Master 650W GX Power Supply [] GX 650W Power Supply
Optical Drive : 1 x Samsung 24x SATA DVDRW Dual Layer Retail with Nero + 3 Bezels
Sound : 1 x On Board Sound card - Standard
Network : 1 x On Board Network Card - Standard
Warranty : 1 x Falcon Standard Warranty - 1 Year Parts And 3 Years Labour
Monitor : 1 x Falcon TFT Not required with this PC

Addnan

TY.

Just specced this up from local pc place, really dont want to build it myself. Needs to be mini tower for the space, but gaming capable. Low noise too. Any holes in this plan that may jump out to anyone? Price £1200

Processor : 1 x Intel Core I5-3570K Quad Core, Socket 1155, 3.4 Ghz, Ivy Bridge, Retail Boxed
CPU Cooler : 1 x Coolermaster Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling kit
Motherboard : 1 x Gigabyte Intel Z77 Mini ITX (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Case : 1 x BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Cube Case - Midnight Black
Memory : 1 x Corsair 16Gb Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 Kit (2x 8GB) - Low Profile
Video Card : 1 x Sapphire 3GB AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3GB GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0/850MHz/5000MHz)
Harddrive : 1 x Samsung 256Gb 840 2.5” SATA III PRO SSD Solid State Drive
Harddrive_2 : 1 x Western Digital WD20EAZX 2TB Caviar Green SATA-3 64MB 3.5 Inch OEM
Psu : 1 x Cooler Master 650W GX Power Supply [] GX 650W Power Supply
Optical Drive : 1 x Samsung 24x SATA DVDRW Dual Layer Retail with Nero + 3 Bezels
Sound : 1 x On Board Sound card - Standard
Network : 1 x On Board Network Card - Standard
Warranty : 1 x Falcon Standard Warranty - 1 Year Parts And 3 Years Labour
Monitor : 1 x Falcon TFT Not required with this PC
The old GX models PSU used to have some issues, not sure how they are now. What other options do you have? Can you get something from seasonic or XFX?

Edit: it's not even partially modular, could get very messy inside an itx

bro1

Banned
Does this exist? A box hooked up to your LAN via ethernet (not wireless) that can stream all of your games from your PC to your home theater? This box would also need to have a USB port for controllers, KB&M too. Wireless is not necessary.

Addnan

News Bot

Banned

How's compatibility? Don't want to try running games (some pretty old) or emulators only to be told I'm a dick by my own computer. :(

Addnan

How's compatibility? Don't want to try running games (some pretty old) or emulators only to be told I'm a dick by my own computer. :(
I haven't run into any problem with running older games. If it ran on 7 its run on 8 for me. As for emulators PCSX2 and Dolphin run fine too. You might want to search around and see if anyone has had any problem with games you want, but I wouldn't think so. 7 and 8 are pretty much the same for that.

Seanspeed

Banned
The case fans should have both big molex and smaller 3 pins that plug into the motherboard. Use the smaller pins. If you use the molex it will run at full speed all the time. You plug the small pins onto motherboard headers. They will have 3 pins. If you can't find them, check the manual

q2wRl9Ul.jpg

hqAzXri.jpg
I think I found an adapter. We'll see.

Problem #31 - my graphics card doesnt have a vga output. Can i just use the vga on the motherboard to bypass the card and at least try and get windows installed? Im getting pretty tired of all this and will need to clear everything from the kitchen so i can let the cat back in and i want to get as much possible done now.

Wallach

I think I found an adapter. We'll see.

Problem #31 - my graphics card doesnt have a vga output. Can i just use the vga on the motherboard to bypass the card and at least try and get windows installed? Im getting pretty tired of all this and will need to clear everything from the kitchen so i can let the cat back in and i want to get as much possible done now.

Did your graphics card not come with a DVI->VGA adapter? They often do have one in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom