• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like some input, guys.

So, right now, I am sitting with a gigabyte and MSI gtx 760.

My MSI card cannot OC past core clock 1210mhz (boost) and caps out at about 61c with 60% fan running on BF3.

My gigabyte card is still steady at 1245mhz (boost) and I am still pushing it. The card hovers around 68c with fans at 80%.

Now, of course, audibly the Gig is a louder card when they're both pushing hard. However, the noise isn't much of a factor for me.

What i guess is the concern is the temperature of the GPU and the rate at which the fans must spin (~80%) to sustain that temperature. I guess my concern is a) the temps being a little high and b) the fans going out prematurely due to the higher RPM/%, But, she is an OC'ing beast compared to my MSI. Are those temps "good"? What about the fan rate?

What would you choose?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If the AMD 9970 is Titan performance at $600, I may buy the shit out of it.

kennah

I'd like some input, guys.

So, right now, I am sitting with a gigabyte and MSI gtx 760.

My MSI card cannot OC past core clock 1210mhz (boost) and caps out at about 61c with 60% fan running on BF3.

My gigabyte card is still steady at 1245mhz (boost) and I am still pushing it. The card hovers around 68c with fans at 80%.

Now, of course, audibly the Gig is a louder card when they're both pushing hard. However, the noise isn't much of a factor for me.

What i guess is the concern is the temperature of the GPU and the rate at which the fans must spin (~80%) to sustain that temperature. I guess my concern is a) the temps being a little high and b) the fans going out prematurely due to the higher RPM/%, But, she is an OC'ing beast compared to my MSI. Are those temps "good"? What about the fan rate?

What would you choose?
I'd go with the one that is quieter and wouldn't care about the minor difference in speeds.

RoKKeR

Alright, something is officially wrong with my PC. I've essentially forgotten what walking through an area smoothly looks like in the past couple of days, and all of my trouble shooting has failed. In every single game I run, I get ridiculous stuttering, hitching, skipping, whatever you want to call it. In a few occasions a game's performance will start out decent (still with skipping) and then just plummet into the teens, using Metro: LL as an example. Something is wrong, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Gigabyte 770 4GB
i5 2500k @ stock clocks
8GB RAM

I'd like to say it's bottlenecking, but I'm not sure and honestly am not familiar with having issues with my PC's performance. My hunch is that, in my attempts at overclocking my CPU, I have fucked it up in some way or another. Temperatures never got above 60fps, and even with apparently stable overclocks, performance wouldn't change or would in some cases be worse. I don't think my RAM is corrupt and my GPU is less than two months old, so I sure as hell hope there isn't anything wrong with that.

I'm getting a bit desperate here, GAF, as I'm leaving for school in just under a week and want to make sure my PC's performance is reliable for my brother while I'm gone, as he isn't knowledgeable with how it all works. Help would be greatly appreciated.

knitoe

Alright, something is officially wrong with my PC. I've essentially forgotten what walking through an area smoothly looks like in the past couple of days, and all of my trouble shooting has failed. In every single game I run, I get ridiculous stuttering, hitching, skipping, whatever you want to call it. In a few occasions a game's performance will start out decent (still with skipping) and then just plummet into the teens, using Metro: LL as an example. Something is wrong, and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Gigabyte 770 4GB
i5 2500k @ stock clocks
8GB RAM

I'd like to say it's bottlenecking, but I'm not sure and honestly am not familiar with having issues with my PC's performance. My hunch is that, in my attempts at overclocking my CPU, I have fucked it up in some way or another. Temperatures never got above 60fps, and even with apparently stable overclocks, performance wouldn't change or would in some cases be worse. I don't think my RAM is corrupt and my GPU is less than two months old, so I sure as hell hope there isn't anything wrong with that.

I'm getting a bit desperate here, GAF, as I'm leaving for school in just under a week and want to make sure my PC's performance is reliable for my brother while I'm gone, as he isn't knowledgeable with how it all works. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reinstall the Nvidia drivers using the custom option and clean install. Run a video card monitor program, like EVGA Precision X, and see what the GPU's clock, memory, usage and temps are when gaming.

tarheel91

I'd go with the one that is quieter and wouldn't care about the minor difference in speeds.

I dunno, if you're like me and have decent headphones, whatever sound is coming out drowns out any computer noise. I'm much more concerned with minimizing idle noise than load noise.

As long as you're at stock voltage, I don't think there's much to be scared of with overclocking.

I dunno, if you're like me and have decent headphones, whatever sound is coming out drowns out any computer noise. I'm much more concerned with minimizing idle noise than load noise.

As long as you're at stock voltage, I don't think there's much to be scared of with overclocking.

The idle noise is negligible between the two cards. As to the voltage, they both have slight bumps on the voltage, which is typical for a 760 OC

longdi

Banned
Heads up PC bros, the seasonic G650W is available and currently $5 cheaper than little brother G550W at Amazon! Best price now, so good for those looking for bigger watts powah!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00918N4A0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It scored 9.8/10 at jguru.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=348

Summary

It's really getting to the point now where anything with the Seasonic name on it is worth buying, isn't it? Are we surprised at all by this unit's fantastic performance here today? This unit is awesome. The price is right, it's as insanely stable with the voltages as you would expect from one of Seasonic's better units, it has no trouble meeting its Gold efficiency at all, and even with some weirdness going on in the scope it still brought its A game to the score. There's nothing more needing to be said. Seasonic is completely running away with the whole consumer power supply industry right now.

The Good:
voltage regulation
ripple suppression
build quality
efficiency passed Gold both times
affordable
semi-modular

The Bad:
you can do better than this for a user guide, Seasonic

The Mediocre:
not... one... single... thing

Damn, if only I had waited a week. I had bought the 550W

Such is the life of a pc gamer.

Speaking of which, I've assembled, and am posting from, the build I posted last week.

RoKKeR

Reinstall the Nvidia drivers using the custom option and clean install. Run a video card monitor program, like EVGA Precision X, and see what the GPU's clock, memory, usage and temps are when gaming.

I'll try a clean install again. I've been running GPU while gaming, and the Core Clock is maxed out (1337MHz), Memory clock around 1750MHz, memroy used is usually aournd 900 MB (Metro: LL) and GPU temp is around 55C on average, Max is 72C.

longdi

Banned
Damn, if only I had waited a week. I had bought the 550W

Such is the life of a pc gamer.

Speaking of which, I've assembled, and am posting from, the build I posted last week.

yep, look on the bright side, most psu reach best efficiency at 40-60% load. The bigger the capacity, the harder it is to hit that mark on normal usage. 550W is more than enough for any quad cores and single gpu.

Though i think u could do the return and exchange/re-buy thingie with Amazon, the good part about using the same family of (semi)modular psu, you just need to unplug those modular cables and the main big two, while keeping rest of your cable management intact.

kennah

Well looks like I'm picking up a 2500k, asrock z68 and Carbide 400 for $250 tomorrow. Trying to talk him into dropping the case from the deal and goin for $200.

Then putting in some used ram, a gtx 470, a 320 gig hd, and my hcg-520.

My friend will have an ok computer for the gamey games.

maneil99

Anyone here ever flash their GPU bios? Thinking about flashing mine to get rid of the max power draw. My 780 has a good ASIC score but I am hitting my power limits

RoKKeR

Alright, this has worked really well...almost. After the clean install, I tested Metro: LL, Bioshock: Infinite, Dishonored, and BF3. They were all incredibly smooth and ran really well, with the exception of BF3 which was just 40-50fps and not very smooth.

However, after testing all of these games I went back to Infinite to show my brother something and found the game stuttering, under FPS, it just wasn't the locked 60fps I was getting when I tested it just 10 minutes earlier. How do I explain that? Performance degrading as I play more games in one session? Revisiting a game in the same session lowers performance? That's my current issue.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So, here's my current build:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
PSU: Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX Power Supply RS460-PSARI3-US
CPU: Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz BX80623G860
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 1GB
RAM: Samsung 8GB DDR3 MV-3V4G3D/US

Designed as a relatively budget but efficient gaming machine. Has served me very well, can run most games on max settings with reasonably good performance. But I'm now employed and will be looking to upgrade soon.

I believe my first order of business should be to upgrade the CPU, as that's probably hamstringing me more than the GPU. Am I right in this? If so, would I be good going to i5? Will that take me pretty far into next console gen?

And if so I'll be looking to upgrade the GPU probably later this year.

nick nacc

Banned
Is now a good or bad time to make a ~1200$ pc. With new consoles coming out at all? Will the boost in console graphics also up the anti on PC games therefore now being a bad time?

maneil99

Is now a good or bad time to make a ~1200$ pc. With new consoles coming out at all? Will the boost in console graphics also up the anti on PC games therefore now being a bad time?

We don't know. Could make 8 cores more relevent, could not. Could make higher vrams needed, could not. We have no idea

maneil99

So, got my eyes set on two cpus. 1st is an i5 2500k for 190, 2nd is an i5 ivy 3570K for 210. Is the extra 20 worth it for ivy? Which chip oc's better?

Go for the 3570k. On a 212 the SB is going to hit around 4.5-4.9ghz. The Ivy Bridge will hit 4.3-4.6. IB is about 10-13% Faster IPC so it will equal out if not surpass SB. A IB at 4.3 = 4.7 SB. Just don't buy a haswell if you want to OC, its a joke, they hit like 4.0 - 4.2 on average and are about 5-7% faster and alot hotter

maneil99

I'll most likely be flashing my 780 SC ACX bios tomorrow, currently getting about 1160-1180 with flashes of 1200-1228. Temps are fine but power limits are pissing me off. Will let you guys know if it goes well or not.

Addnan

So, here's my current build:

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V
PSU: Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX Power Supply RS460-PSARI3-US
CPU: Intel Pentium G860 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz BX80623G860
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 1GB
RAM: Samsung 8GB DDR3 MV-3V4G3D/US

Designed as a relatively budget but efficient gaming machine. Has served me very well, can run most games on max settings with reasonably good performance. But I'm now employed and will be looking to upgrade soon.

I believe my first order of business should be to upgrade the CPU, as that's probably hamstringing me more than the GPU. Am I right in this? If so, would I be good going to i5? Will that take me pretty far into next console gen?

And if so I'll be looking to upgrade the GPU probably later this year.

i5 3350p/3570 + GTX 760 or any other mid to high end card would be a great upgrade. Yeah upgrade the CPU first

Seanspeed

Banned
Was about to press 'buy' on a BenQ XL2411T 120hz screen, but then watched a video of an average gamer who couldnt tell the difference at all in a blind test. I'm worried I'd be similar as I'm not one of these hardcore graphics guys.

I also will be watching racing/football a lot on it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've seen that and am aware most PC gamers can tell the difference.

However, how 'normal' are these PC gamers? Keep in mind some of them couldnt tell the difference. I'm coming from console gaming. I can tell between 30 and 60fps in most cases, but how much more of a leap is it to 120fps? Are there diminishing returns beyond 60fps?

I'm not one of those 'has to be 60fps' guys either. 30 is fine for me in the majority of cases.

maneil99

I'm about to get a GTX 780 soon and I was just wondering how good are the Galaxy brand cards? I was thinking about getting this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162142

Thats a brand new card so review's aren't out. They can talk about how great it is for OCing but the additional power is useless without a unlocked bios. This card is great http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918, one of if not the best 780's near stock price.

Nethaniah

However, how 'normal' are these PC gamers? Keep in mind some of them couldnt tell the difference. I'm coming from console gaming. I can tell between 30 and 60fps in most cases, but how much more of a leap is it to 120fps? Are there diminishing returns beyond 60fps?

I'm not one of those 'has to be 60fps' guys either. 30 is fine for me in the majority of cases.

The jump to 120Hz is as big as going from 30fps to 60fps, not just in games mind you, the entire desktop experience is going to be much more enjoyable to the point where going back to 60Hz is difficult because the computer just seems to stutter.

Jeb

Heads up PC bros, the seasonic G650W is available and currently $5 cheaper than little brother G550W at Amazon! Best price now, so good for those looking for bigger watts powah!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00918N4A0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It scored 9.8/10 at jguru.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=348
You gotta be fucking kidding me!
Already purchased the exact same thing from the exact same site 3 or 4 days ago, if I recall it was somewhere between 80-100 bucks!

Addnan

First time I tried 120hz was just a few days ago and the whole desktop experience felt so much smoother as did games, I'm a believer. However I didn't play with it long enough to say it is the greatest thing ever. Many here will though.

Already purchased the exact same thing from the exact same site 3 or 4 days ago, if I recall it was somewhere between 80-100 bucks!
Contact Amazon. They are usually pretty good and can refund the difference.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ask for a price match then.

If that's okay just get a nice IPS panel. It's a blessing you don't mind. Even a stable 60FPS just isn't as nice anymore for me. I can't play at 30 :(

Seanspeed

Banned
First time I tried 120hz was just a few days ago and the whole desktop experience felt so much smoother as did games, I'm a believer. However I didn't play with it long enough to say it is the greatest thing ever. Many here will, though.
Yea, again, I just really wish I could try out some monitors before buying. I dont feel comfortable plucking down £200+ on a screen I've never seen.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ask for a price match then.

If that's okay just get a nice IPS panel. It's a blessing you don't mind. Even a stable 60FPS just isn't as nice anymore for me. I can't play at 30 :(
Thats a good point actually. In a couple years time, I dont want to feel compulsed to upgrade just because I'm not getting a solid 60fps anymore.

Zaph

Yea, again, I just really wish I could try out some monitors before buying. I dont feel comfortable plucking down £200+ on a screen I've never seen.
Where in the UK do you live? Aren't there any enthusiast shops local?

If you live near London, just off Tottenham Court Road is YOYOtech. Lots of different panels, and they'll happily plug a particular keyboard/mouse into a specific computer/monitor to find the combination you're most comfortable with.

Also, I once overheard the sales assistant downsell a gamer who was new to PC's from a i7 to a i5, telling her she didn't need the i7 benefits. I'll pretty much endorse them for life after that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Where in the UK do you live? Aren't there any enthusiast shops local?

If you live near London, just off Tottenham Court Road is YOYOtech. Lots of different panels, and they'll happily plug a particular keyboard/mouse into a specific computer/monitor to find the combination you're most comfortable with.

Also, I once overheard the sales assistant downsell a gamer who was new to PC's from a i7 to a i5, telling her she didn't need the i7 benefits. I'll pretty much endorse them for life after that.
I live in London, so yea, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Only just moved here a couple weeks ago. Don't really know whats around. Went to a PC World the other day, which was terrible.

No, IPS's have better colors (and I think better black levels)
Good to know. If I can see some of these screens in-person, I can make a much better decision on what I think I want, though.

Addnan

PC world is for people that want to buy a Dell.

Tottenham Court road is probably your best bet, lots of smaller tech shops around there.

Ferr986

Guys. I have a small question about OC.

Im OC'ing my GTX460, I want to know how much I can push it at stock volt.
Question is, should I OC the Memory Clock too?
I heard that doesnt give as much performance boost as the Core Clock and it tends to get hotter.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade to a new system. My current rig has more and more trouble running current gen games and I fear for performance by the end of this year with Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4. I hope you can help me out here.

Current Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz
Mem: 8GB RAM 1333MHz DDR2
Mobo: ASUS P5QL-E (Specs)
GPU: AMD 5750 1GB
PSU: 600W
Case: Chieftec Dragon
HDD: 500GB WD 7200RPM SATA2

Budget: 300 - 500 euro, Netherlands
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming 2
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1
Video Editing 1
Streaming games in HD 1
3D/Model work (and what program) 1
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4

Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080, no upgrades planned

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Assassin's Creed Black Flag, Batman Arkham Origins, Splinter Cell Black List, Watch Dogs
30FPS is acceptable if that means I can run everything with high settings, other stuff would be nice but not superimportant

Looking to reuse any parts?
CoolerMaster 600W PSU
500GB SATA2 HDD
Case

When will you build?
Somewhere in september/october

Will you be overclocking?
No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom