• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Also that Seasonic G Series 650W is a fucking steal on Newegg at the minute if anyone needs a PSU, $59.99 after rebate and discount code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

To quote JonnyGuru's latest review

Z49GJ5A.png

That's him reviewing it costing $105 too, imagine how glowing he'd be with another $45 off that price.

Seanspeed

Banned
My cable management skills are.......lacking. lol

Its passable, I guess. Here's the embarrassment:

oA2F04s.jpg

MOnHEDq.jpg

Still pretty happy with it. Borderlands 2 is so gorgeous on the PC wow. Havent really tried much else but it runs at a capped 60fps on max settings, 1650x1050 no problem.

Vargavinter

I starting to get irritated from hearing my CPU-fan when im playing games, but i found that i can set the fan to "silent" in the bios and now my computer are alot more quiet. Will this setting hurt my CPU in the end or if it gets to hot will the fan override the silent mode and try and get the temperature down?

knitoe

I starting to get irritated from hearing my CPU-fan when im playing games, but i found that i can set the fan to "silent" in the bios and now my computer are alot more quiet. Will this setting hurt my CPU in the end or if it gets to hot will the fan override the silent mode and try and get the temperature down?

Run Prime95 and you will see what your max CPU temps under load. It will be hotter than during gaming.

Zaph

Been using that really easy to follow Haswell OC guide in the OP. Seems my i7 tops out at 4.5GHz @ 1.25v with AIDA reporting a max core temp of around 86c. Don't seem to have one of those golden god chips, but at least it's not a dog.

Is it worth continuing into the memory part of the guide? It seems much more involved, especially with all that IMC trade off etc.

Soodanim

Seeing the Crucial M4 go down to £70 has made me take another look at build prices, and after looking at a Bitfenix Prodigy build to bring costs down (it didn't, thanks to the motherboard prices) I've come up with this one. Now that Samsung Green is out of the running, I'm not really sure what to look at for RAM other than what is mentioned in the OP. Corsair Vengeance is a name I always hear though, so that's thrown in until something better is suggested. For the 760, there's currently a 2GB in there. knitoe said a 256 bit bus isn't good enough for high AA (won't be going above 1080p on it), but still said he recommends the 4GB version so I'm still stumped on what to go for. That said, That said, coming from PS3 everything is already going to be a visual upgrade, and aside from some AA (not a ridiculous amount by a long shot, unless it's an old game and I can comfortably downsample) I'm looking forward more to higher framerates than beautiful texture mods. I think I'm just thinking out loud now, because Skyrim with the higher res textures only apparently comes to 1.5GB.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1qHfD

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.71 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£69.90 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.36 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£219.00 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.70 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£12.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Total: £842.06

knitoe

Seeing the Crucial M4 go down to £70 has made me take another look at build prices, and after looking at a Bitfenix Prodigy build to bring costs down (it didn't, thanks to the motherboard prices) I've come up with this one. Now that Samsung Green is out of the running, I'm not really sure what to look at for RAM other than what is mentioned in the OP. Corsair Vengeance is a name I always hear though, so that's thrown in until something better is suggested. For the 760, there's currently a 2GB in there. knitoe said a 256 bit bus isn't good enough for high AA (won't be going above 1080p on it), but still said he recommends the 4GB version so I'm still stumped on what to go for. That said, That said, coming from PS3 everything is already going to be a visual upgrade, and aside from some AA (not a ridiculous amount by a long shot, unless it's an old game and I can comfortably downsample) I'm looking forward more to higher framerates than beautiful texture mods. I think I'm just thinking out loud now, because Skyrim with the higher res textures only apparently comes to 1.5GB.

Think, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Other people say 256 bit bus is not enough for 4GB VRAM. I beg to differ. 256 bit bus may not be enough for High AA and/or 1440p plus resolution, but it's enough for higher res texture, farther draw distance and etc. Currently, games are hard coded limit to 2GB VRAM. Once nextgen consoles are out, I expect the limit increase to 3-4GB. Thus, I can only recommend 3GB or greater video cards. And, Skyrim with users mods can easily go >2GB VRAM.

Vargavinter

Well i tried both prime95 & Core Temp using the test that generates the most heat and from what ive seen it gets close to or over 100 degrees on all four cores.
(Edit: while typing this it just hit 105 degrees and my computer shut-down doe to overheating.). I tried using all three settings for the CPU-fan in the BIOS but still it get this high.

Im sitting on a Intel Core i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge) with a stock cooler due to having a mini-ITX chassi and there aint not alot of room to change the cooler for another CPU-cooler. :/

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Still pretty happy with it. Borderlands 2 is so gorgeous on the PC wow. Havent really tried much else but it runs at a capped 60fps on max settings, 1650x1050 no problem.

The first game I played with my new rig was borderlands 2. My jaw hit the floor. I played 360 only last 6 years. I felt like a tool for not doing it sooner.

knitoe

Well i tried both prime95 & Core Temp using the test that generates the most heat and from what ive seen it gets close to or over 100 degrees on all four cores.
(Edit: while typing this it just hit 105 degrees and my computer shut-down doe to overheating.). I tried using all three settings for the CPU-fan in the BIOS but still it get this high.

Im sitting on a Intel Core i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge) with a stock cooler due to having a mini-ITX chassi and there aint not alot of room to change the cooler for another CPU-cooler. :/

I am sure there are better low profile coolers than the stock one. Maybe, also add a case fan for better airflow. If you are OC, dial back until you get a better cooler.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

100 degrees is waaaaay too high. Don't exceed 80. You need to find a solution ASAP.

Vargavinter

I am sure there are better low profile coolers than the stock one. Maybe, also add a case fan for better airflow. If you are OC, dial back until you get a better cooler.

Looking at coolers, but its seems that the chassi in combination to my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE mITX) makes it hard to get some sort of cooling. And since Im not in to either modding or overclocking just makes the search even harder. :/

kennah

You shouldn't be doing this with the stock cooler AT ALL. Gonna blow apart your system man.

Also find one of these. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=50&lng=en

The nature of the case you have means you are stuck at lower clocks. Super Small form factor and max overclocks only work in a select handful of cases.

Think Battlefield 3 or Bioshock Infinite will be the game I try first when I get my new rig built.

I thought they were gorgeous before......

Vargavinter

You shouldn't be doing this with the stock cooler AT ALL. Gonna blow apart your system man.

Also find one of these. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=50&lng=en

The nature of the case you have means you are stuck at lower clocks. Super Small form factor and max overclocks only work in a select handful of cases.

Not trying to clock it, I just want to lower the sounds of the fan due to having the case next to my bed and when Im playing the CPU-fan noise is irritating. :)

kennah

Cool :) get the Noctua then. Also make sure your power supply isn't making too much noise, but that is a harder fan to replace.

kennah

Is there a problem with AMD processors? Should I not be using them for gaming?
After my last post, I realized I should just upgrade my Motherboard and CPU.

Looking at system builds I am thinking of going with:
Processor: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO OR Corsair H60

If not that, then the standard:
Intel i5-3570K
Asus P8Z77-V
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO or Corsair H60
Single threaded performance (i.e. - games) is slower clock for clock. When overclocked amd cpus consume a shitload of power and generate a lot of heat. The 3570k will blow away that cpu.

We are really hoping that amd will be back in the game with their new cpus.

Soodanim

Think, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Other people say 256 bit bus is not enough for 4GB VRAM. I beg to differ. 256 bit bus may not be enough for High AA and/or 1440p plus resolution, but it's enough for higher res texture, farther draw distance and etc. Currently, games are hard coded limit to 2GB VRAM. Once nextgen consoles are out, I expect the limit increase to 3-4GB. Thus, I can only recommend 3GB or greater video cards. And, Skyrim with users mods can easily go >2GB VRAM.

Ohhhhh, okay. Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Now to decide between the EVGA and Gigabyte 4GB. I think I already know the answer to that, though.

Ty4on

What case? If it is one with the PSU right above the CPU you can improve airflow by using a 3. party cooler and flip the fan so that it blows air into the PSU. It sounds like your cooler is cooling with hot air, struggling with a PSU fan stealing the air, or the cooler is poorly attached. Probably a combination, but the first is bad airflow and will make the CPU temp gradually go up while the latter can be tested if you push the cooler down and the CPU temp drops.

The air coming off a cooler on the 3570k won't be very hot and PSUs are rated to run in pretty hot environments. if you look at PSU reviews they're tested at nearly 50C ambient. Hot air is much better than no air for a 90C capacitor :p

Vargavinter

What case? If it is one with the PSU right above the CPU you can improve airflow by using a 3. party cooler and flip the fan so that it blows air into the PSU. It sounds like your cooler is cooling with hot air, struggling with a PSU fan stealing the air, or the cooler is poorly attached. Probably a combination, but the first is bad airflow and will make the CPU temp gradually go up while the latter can be tested if you push the cooler down and the CPU temp drops.

The air coming off a cooler on the 3570k won't be very hot and PSUs are rated to run in pretty hot environments. if you look at PSU reviews they're tested at nearly 50C ambient. Hot air is much better than no air for a 90C capacitor :p

Using a BitFenix Prodigy case.

cyen

If you have a bitfenix prodigy case, you can buy a H100\H60\H80 from corsair that will fit perfectly.

If you have a bitfenix prodigy case, you can buy a H100\H60\H80 from corsair that will fit perfectly.

Heck, even the big ass d14 fits inside the prodigy last I looked. Well depending on the motherboard since the mitx motherboards have a variety of placements for the cpu.

Since I'm always super nervous about this kind of thing, I want to get double-ultra-mega confirmation that the parts I'm planning to buy will actually work together, and that I haven't missed anything obvious.

semifinalbuild7pksy.png

- No overclocks planned.
- Recycling Windows
- Recycling a 560Ti as the video card

Link to site.

The case I have selected came recommended from... somewhere. I thought it was this thread but it's not in the small form factor build thing in the OP, and so I can't recall where I got the idea for using that one from. I'm certainly open to alternatives, especially since others are cheaper, even factoring in the PSU. And it's pretty ugly, I have to admit. The selection of mini-ITX is not 100% essential, but I really am attracted to the idea of having a small PC.

Thanks in advance.

Coolermaster hyper 212 fits fine on that motherboard and in that case.

Yeah, what he said. You really shouldn't have a problem with most cpu coolers with that motherboard and that case, even if it is mitx. You will of course have to remove the MB from the case to install it though, and make sure your cables are properly managed.

I think he mentioned he has the RAM with the fins.

What ones exactly? Because ones like the ripjaw Xs fit under most coolers. It's just the really tall ones that don't.

Addnan

Since I'm always super nervous about this kind of thing, I want to get double-ultra-mega confirmation that the parts I'm planning to buy will actually work together, and that I haven't missed anything obvious.

semifinalbuild7pksy.png

- No overclocks planned.
- Recycling Windows
- Recycling a 560Ti as the video card

Link to site.

The case I have selected came recommended from... somewhere. I thought it was this thread but it's not in the small form factor build thing in the OP, and so I can't recall where I got the idea for using that one from. I'm certainly open to alternatives, especially since others are cheaper, even factoring in the PSU. And it's pretty ugly, I have to admit. The selection of mini-ITX is not 100% essential, but I really am attracted to the idea of having a small PC.

Thanks in advance.

They will all work together, but if you changed some stuff around you can fit a 4670K into it and can overclock if you ever change your mind on that. Drop SSD down to Samsung 840 250GB. RAM to 8GB unless you really need 16, gaming doesn't even need 8.

What ones exactly? Because ones like the ripjaw Xs fit under most coolers. It's just the really tall ones that don't.
Thought I read he had Corsair vengeance RAM, but can't find that post now. Eh. If he has the Asus and the Prodigy pretty much any cooler will fit as long as their are no fins from the vengeance in the way.

They will all work together, but if you changed some stuff around you can fit a 4670K into it and can overclock if you ever change your mind on that. Drop SSD down to Samsung 840 250GB. RAM to 8GB unless you really need 16, gaming doesn't even need 8.

I'll drop the SSD and RAM (adding another stick later is super easy anyway I suppose). But I'm not eager to update to the K since I've no inclination to OC. I'm probably going to grab a new Mobo + CPU + DDR4 in 2 years time anyway.

Any opinions on the Silverstone vs This and a PSU?

Addnan

Since NCIX is having a sale this weekend, I was wondering.
Is there much performance difference between:

ASUS GeForce GTX 660 OC and the MSI GeForce GTX 660 OC Twin Frozr 3 ?
I'm fine with the fact I'm not going cutting edge in gfx, just wondering if PCGAF has an opinion

The MSI has slightly higher clock speeds, but not to warrant a $30 difference after rebate. You can easily get to that speed anyway, but really the difference is tiny.

Addnan

I'll drop the SSD and RAM (adding another stick later is super easy anyway I suppose). But I'm not eager to update to the K since I've no inclination to OC. I'm probably going to grab a new Mobo + CPU + DDR4 in 2 years time anyway.

Any opinions on the Silverstone vs This and a PSU?

If you are looking for something very small go for the Fractal Design Node 304 + PSU or the Silverstone. The Prodigy is quite big in comparison to the others, but it is very nice. Used by a lot of people, easy to build in, its quite roomy.

Can't go wrong with either, just depends if you want something tiny or something pretty.

and stick with 2x8GB or get 2x4GB. RAM works better in dual channel.

EDIT: No need to get a Z87 board either. Drop down to H87. http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1019&products_id=23792

The Stealth Fox

I have a X4 955 with a 560 ti.

I think I can stick with the 560 ti for another year (I am at 1050p), but I want to upgrade the CPU.

Should I go haswell or stick with SB-E? I want the cpu to last at least another 3 years

Addnan

I have a X4 955 with a 560 ti.

I think I can stick with the 560 ti for another year (I am at 1050p), but I want to upgrade the CPU.

Should I go haswell or stick with SB-E? I want the cpu to last at least another 3 years
When do you plan on upgrading? Ivy-E is due to launch in a few months, better to wait for that if you want to get SB-E

Polymath

Neo Member
Just found this picture on my phone from when i finished putting together my loop.

2tjog

Since then i added another 680 to the loop and went with distilled water + silver coil.
However i miss that look and i wonder if the UV liquids have changed at all since last year?
I had the Feser one acid green in my system for about 4 months until i decided to go with distilled water.
The cleaning was a pain in the ass but luckily no damage was done.

Now i'm thinking to go back just to get that look again that i really liked.
However first i wanna ask other gaffers about UV tubes.
Are they worth it? What brand should i be looking for? do you have pictures you can show?

let me know guys.

Addnan

What socket will last the longest? I don't want to have to change mobos when I upgrade
Unfortunately you can't really future proof motherboards anymore. The sockets changes every 2 CPU or so. Getting Haswell just for the socket will not be worth it as Broadwell will only be a small upgrade. That's if they even continue on 1150.

So I sold my old pc awhile back and want to get back into it. I was thinking about saving up for the $1400 build and a 27inch 1440 monitor. My friends want me to jump in and play. I want to be able to have something that can play most at max for atleast a year. Is there a big difference between 1080 and 1440, and if I go to 1080, what should I go with? Would I be able to upgrade reasonably in a couple years, or better to throw out and rebuild?

Soodanim

Oh wow, the 4GB 670 is £226. Cheaper and better than the 760 - am I right in thinking that it's a no-brainer, or is it too good to be true?

If I can decide on whether to go for 3570k or 4670k, I might just spend ~£850 on a system today. I don't ever see myself overclocking past, say, about 4.2gHz (I've never done this before, so I'll be playing it fairly safe), so I shouldn't encounter the higher temperatures that are associated with Haswell, right?

Addnan

Oh wow, the 4GB 670 is £226. Cheaper and better than the 760 - am I right in thinking that it's a no-brainer, or is it too good to be true?

If I can decide on whether to go for 3570k or 4670k, I might just spend ~£850 on a system today. I don't ever see myself overclocking past, say, about 4.2gHz (I've never done this before, so I'll be playing it fairly safe), so I shouldn't encounter the higher temperatures that are associated with Haswell, right?
buy it, can't go wrong at that price.

knitoe

So I sold my old pc awhile back and want to get back into it. I was thinking about saving up for the $1400 build and a 27inch 1440 monitor. My friends want me to jump in and play. I want to be able to have something that can play most at max for atleast a year. Is there a big difference between 1080 and 1440, and if I go to 1080, what should I go with? Would I be able to upgrade reasonably in a couple years, or better to throw out and rebuild?
To run 1440p with most max settings, you will need a SLI/CF setup. And, yes, there's a big difference between 1080p vs 1440p. As for myself, I can never go back to 1080p. If you plan to stay at 1080p, get one of those 144hz monitor with lightboost.

In a couple of years, you'll probably need to get new CPU, MB and video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom