• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

Amd HD 9000 series to be announced on september 25th?

On September 25th AMD will be hosting a live stream in which they will be announcing their new flagship that should compete with the Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan and will also be the first of AMDs HD 9000 series of cards.

Along with this card the upcoming Battlefield4 will be presented asking the question of whether BF4 may be a packaged title for the Hawaii gen architecture based cards.

The next gen flagship should be priced lower than the GTX Titan if it wishes to compete, and will probably feature the infamous "Never Settle Bundle".

http://www.game-debate.com/blog/ind...9000 series to be announced on September 25th!

Hope this is true!.

To run 1440p with most max settings, you will need a SLI/CF setup. And, yes, there's a big difference between 1080p vs 1440p. As for myself, I can never go back to 1080p. If you plan to stay at 1080p, get one of those 144hz monitor with lightboost.

In a couple of years, you'll probably need to get new CPU, MB and video card.
Thanks I'll just stay at 1080 then. What build would you suggest for a balance between price and power? I'd like to be able to max everything for a year or 2. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, up to 1k

Think, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Other people say 256 bit bus is not enough for 4GB VRAM. I beg to differ. 256 bit bus may not be enough for High AA and/or 1440p plus resolution, but it's enough for higher res texture, farther draw distance and etc. Currently, games are hard coded limit to 2GB VRAM. Once nextgen consoles are out, I expect the limit increase to 3-4GB. Thus, I can only recommend 3GB or greater video cards. And, Skyrim with users mods can easily go >2GB VRAM.

Look at bandwidth, not the bus width.

Addnan

Thanks I'll just stay at 1080 then. What build would you suggest for a balance between price and power? I'd like to be able to max everything for a year or 2. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, up to 1k

There will always be a game that you can't max and the higher you go there is just diminishing returns. A lot of power needed for not so much eye candy.

The excellent build in the OP. 3570K + 760/770/7970 will play most games at highest quality, get 60fps. Just the graphics heavy games like Crysis 3 you will be better of setting to High rather than V.Hgh etc.

kennah

What socket will last the longest? I don't want to have to change mobos when I upgrade
As said above, this line of thinking is long gone.

However! Great performance is cheaper these days. Having the top end chip on the socket for $330? That's amazing. (Unless you go for -E of course)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Thanks Kharma and Hazaro! I might be able to reuse my case and save some monies. I think it's like a mid case...4 bays, 6 expansion slots, and ATX fits. Not sure about extended. The only thing is that the slot for the power supply is at the top, not the bottom. Is that a big deal for temperature?

9485661983_ae4bfcb449_c.jpg

All that power!

Knowing my luck at Gamescom there's going to be a ton of console-only exclusives announced (Persona 5, Neo Wipeout, Medievil 3, e.t.c.) but FUCK IT

Well-do-it-live-30665880489.jpeg

WE'LL DO IT LIVE. FUCK IT. WE'LL DO IT LIVE.

I need a new PSU since my old one is biting the dust (it was underpowered for my recently upgraded setup anyway). If I'm buying a new one to fit on a computer from 2010, are there any potential compatibility issues or does that not happen with PSUs?

Addnan

I need a new PSU since my old one is biting the dust (it was underpowered for my recently upgraded setup anyway). If I'm buying a new one to fit on a computer from 2010, are there any potential compatibility issues or does that not happen with PSUs?

Nope should be fine. Newegg has a good 650w seasonic g series for $60 after rebate and code if you want to jump on that.

fbgamer

Banned
Could someone recommend a good External Harddrive to use for games? Something that you know would work well... and is that even a good idea? To play games of an Ex-HDD?

Addnan

Could someone recommend a good External Harddrive to use for games? Something that you know would work well... and is that even a good idea? To play games of an Ex-HDD?
Load times are slow, but they run fine. I ran games off a WD elements 1TB.

Addnan

Seems like the XFX PRO550 isnt Hasswell supported... any good alternatives with somehow the same price?
It only becomes an issue at low power/sleep mode, which you probably shouldn't be doing to a desktop anyway especially if you overclock. Otherwise the pro series above the 550W will work with the Haswell sleep state. Seasonic will be good too.

What region are you in? Newegg has a good Seasonic 650W for $60 after rebate

rafbanaan

It only becomes an issue at low power/sleep mode, which you probably shouldn't be doing to a desktop anyway especially if you overclock. Otherwise the pro series above the 550W will work with the Haswell sleep state. Seasonic will be good too.

What region are you in? Newegg has a good Seasonic 650W for $60 after rebate

Europe.

So, if I never use sleep/power-mode it isnt an issue? When I'm done, I would always shut him down completely.

Funny, what is the reason for this mabye?

TxdoHawk

Everybody says the best CPU cooler to cool my intel 2500k is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. That thing is gigantic, though, probably too tall for my case, and would require me to unmount my motherboard to install. Is there something else that isn't as giant and obnoxious to install in a pre-existing build? I'm only looking to overclock a bit, I'm not looking to push the absolute limits.

Addnan

Europe.

So, if I never use sleep/power-mode it isnt an issue? When I'm done, I would always shut him down completely.

Funny, what is the reason for this mabye?

Yeah, as long as you don't put it to sleep its fine.

When the CPU goes into a sleep state it requires a very low level of power and some PSU can't deliver such low amounts.

kennah

Everybody says the best CPU cooler to cool my intel 2500k is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. That thing is gigantic, though, probably too tall for my case, and would require me to unmount my motherboard to install. Is there something else that isn't as giant and obnoxious to install in a pre-existing build? I'm only looking to overclock a bit, I'm not looking to push the absolute limits.

Anything good is going to require you to take out your motherboard anyway. Look into the Noctua Low profile cooler if you're worried about things fitting.

What case specifically?

knitoe

Look at bandwidth, not the bus width.

At 1080p and a 760, I say go 2GB. You'll probably run into GPU speed issues by the time you're maxing out the 2GB, making it time to upgrade to a new card anyways.
760 GTX: 192GB/s bandwidth
PS4: 176GB/s bandwidth

Killzone SF seems to be using at least 3GB VRAM and it's a launch title. Expect more with later titles. So, YES, that bandwidth is fine for >2GB VRAM @ 1080p. Repeat once again, only when you run 1440p plus resolution and/or high AA does it become an issue.

Soodanim

Killzone SF seems to be using at least 3GB VRAM. So, YES, that bandwidth is fine for >2GB VRAM @ 1080p. Otherwise, it would pointless for PS4 / X1 to have 8GB RAM.

You seem to be a lone voice in a world full of anti-4GB people, but I don't think anyone has refuted your argument yet.

/r/buildapc's IRC channel has caused me to reconsider the 7950. It certainly has a safer 3GB with a bus (and I assume bandwidth) to handle it, so as it's the same price as the 760 and 670 I'm looking at, is it worth considering?

knitoe

You seem to be a lone voice in a world full of anti-4GB people, but I don't think anyone has refuted your argument yet.

/r/buildapc's IRC channel has caused me to reconsider the 7950. It certainly has a safer 3GB with a bus (and I assume bandwidth) to handle it, so as it's the same price as the 760 and 670 I'm looking at, is it worth considering?

Yes. Right now, the 7950/7970 offers the best value, especially with the free game bundles. If you go multi cards, I would go Nvidia instead due to ATI driver issues.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, what do use/suggest for online chat?
I'm planning on getting Payday2 on Steam and FFXIV will be my first proper MMO, plus I've had L4D2 gifted to me on Steam, but have no means to online chat with fellow gaffers.

I'm using an HTPC plugged to a projector, so wireless (like my 360’s gamepads) would be better if not much more expensive, if possible I'd like it compatible with PS3. My motherboard has no Bluetooth adapter tho.

HTPC's hooked up to a 7.1 receiver with large speakers, so I'd prefer to have the game audio via audio system and chat audio via the headset/whatever. Since it doesn't have to be good for the game audio I won't need an uber quality item I guess. The less expensive the better ^_^

Thanks, every reply will be much appreciated guys :)

Killzone SF seems to be using at least 3GB VRAM and it's a launch title. Expect more with later titles. So, YES, that bandwidth is fine for >2GB VRAM @ 1080p. Repeat once again, only when you run 1440p plus resolution and/or high AA does it become an issue.

Sure, and I agree with you on that. My point is that it wouldn't surprise me if the GPU power of the 760 is going to be a bottleneck around the same time the 2GB is. The 4GB would give you a bit more breathing room for games that don't max out GPU power before VRAM, but I would lean more toward a 760 with 2GB of RAM and then use the money you save on the 2GB for an upgrade down the line.

Soodanim

Thanks knitoe.

I completely forgot about the PSU when I was looking at the price of the build. I'm less impressed with the price now, but it is what it is. The only thing I can comfortably drop is the case, and I'd be saving about £30 at most if I downgraded to something like a Shinobi.

So how am I looking? Someone said about replacing the 212 EVO with a NZXT Respire T40, but I haven't looked into that yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.15 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£69.90 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.36 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£216.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.70 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£15.85 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Total: £928.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-11 21:57 BST+0100)

knitoe

Sure, and I agree with you on that. My point is that it wouldn't surprise me if the GPU power of the 760 is going to be a bottleneck around the same time the 2GB is. The 4GB would give you a bit more breathing room for games that don't max out GPU power before VRAM, but I would lean more toward a 760 with 2GB of RAM and then use the money you save on the 2GB for an upgrade down the line.

The cost difference between 2GB vs 4GB is only $50. That will hardly make much of a differences for future upgrades. Worth spending it now if you are pretty sure upcoming games will be taking advantage of it.

Addnan

Thanks knitoe.

I completely forgot about the PSU when I was looking at the price of the build. I'm less impressed with the price now, but it is what it is. The only thing I can comfortably drop is the case, and I'd be saving about £30 at most if I downgraded to something like a Shinobi.

So how am I looking? Someone said about replacing the 212 EVO with a NZXT Respire T40, but I haven't looked into that yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.85 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.15 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£69.90 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£48.36 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£216.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.70 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.86 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£15.85 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Total: £928.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-11 21:57 BST+0100)
Change RAM to low profile stuff.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Single threaded performance (i.e. - games) is slower clock for clock. When overclocked amd cpus consume a shitload of power and generate a lot of heat. The 3570k will blow away that cpu.

We are really hoping that amd will be back in the game with their new cpus.

Thanks. Just got done putting together the 3570k with the Asus P8Z77-V LK, and the Hyper 212 EVO.

Also I completely forgot to take the clearance of the fan and my RAM into consideration :\ my RAM was too high for the fan on it. Woops.

Ty4on

Gigantic you say? Looks pretty small to me :p
ff0da2bf_02ecb03a7d7411e2866922000a1fbcb1_7.jpeg

Zaph

Alright I pulled the trigger.

This was the PSU I went with, along with the Prodigy case.

The prodigy should be able to take a 160mm long PSU and that one is 140, so it should fit yeah?
Because of the width of the Prodigy (to fit a flat ITX motherboard), not only will it easily fit but there will be a ton of space either side and behind the PSU for cable routing.

It's a fantastic case. Don't think I'll ever go back to ATX unless, for some insane reasons, SLI/CF becomes a necessity to keep up with next gen consoles.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Get a $60 closed loop cooler. Much more quiet, and the mounting part is more compact (though tubes/fan are also a consideration).

Amd HD 9000 series to be announced on september 25th?

http://www.game-debate.com/blog/ind...9000 series to be announced on September 25th!

Hope this is true!.

Yeah, it's all over the place. Basically paper launch on the 25th and widely available sometime in late October. I'm probably replacing my 6950 CF with a 9970.

bro1

Banned
If prime95 runs fine at stock on a 3570k at 62c for 24 hours and I can 3dmark or valley for 24 hours as well at 74c on a gtx 770, a game crash is probably driver or software related, right? Metro LL CTD with the latest beta nvidia drivers.

teh_pwn

If prime95 runs fine at stock on a 3570k at 62c for 24 hours and I can 3dmark or valley for 24 hours as well at 74c on a gtx 770, a game crash is probably driver or software related, right? Metro LL CTD with the latest beta nvidia drivers.

Not necessarily. Prime 95 generally hits the CPU at load and stays there. Games may cause intermittent load, which can cause voltage to go from idle to load. If you're near instability or your motherboard had a junkie voltage controller, you could experience transient voltage instability. I've only seen this empirically...you could try messing with VCore and LLC. Lately I've been spoiled and used ASUS Pro motherboards so I just set VCore fixed and change the turbo ratio, but I remember with cheaper motherboards I had to adjust LLC to get stability higher.

Regarding the AMD HD 9000 series. They should release PRO versions next year with a die shrink to compete with Maxwell. 9800 Pro was a good card, and it could be again.

bro1

Banned
Not necessarily. Prime 95 generally hits the CPU at load and stays there. Games may cause intermittent load, which can cause voltage to go from idle to load. If you're near instability or your motherboard had a junkie voltage controller, you could experience transient voltage instability. I've only seen this empirically...you could try messing with VCore and LLC. Lately I've been spoiled and used ASUS Pro motherboards so I just set VCore fixed and change the turbo ratio, but I remember with cheaper motherboards I had to adjust LLC to get stability higher.

Regarding the AMD HD 9000 series. They should release PRO versions next year with a die shrink to compete with Maxwell. 9800 Pro was a good card, and it could be again.
It's running at stock speed on a sabertooth z77 mobo with a silverstone strider 600w silver rated psu and hyper 212 cooler.

teh_pwn

Probably driver then. You could also try running memtest to rule out RAM.

Llyranor

I'm looking into buying a new PC. GAF helped me build one yrs ago, and it has served me well. However, Rome 2 is coming out next month, and my PC could barely run the larger battles in Shogun 2. Being PC-building illiterate, I appeal to GAF once again!

Your Current Specs: My PC is from 2008CPU intel i5 something?/ RAM 4gig/ Motherboard dunno/ GPU (Graphics) Radeon 48?0/ PSU (Power Supply) dunno/ Case normal-looking tower/ HDD (Hard Drive) 300gig
Budget: Price range is flexible, I think. Anything from 1000 to 2000.
Main Use: Gaming only
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor? Probably around 1920x1080. Am getting a new monitor. 120hz is of great interest for me.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I guess the main games I play nowadays are MechWarrior Online, Wargame: Airland Battle, and War Thunder, so I'd want them to run well. Since I'm interested in a 120hz monitor, I guess I'd want to aim for 120fps? I don't care that much about the other features
Looking to reuse any parts?: no
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? This month - before Rome 2 comes out!
Will you be overclocking?: no

I'm looking into maybe 1TB hard drive, and a 250gig SSD for Steam.
In terms of sound card = any particular one good for listening to music? especially classical music?

Will run W7Home 64bit most likely.
Might be looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard.

Anyone want to help out a hardware-illiterate GAFer? It'd have to be through the http://www.ncix.com/ website since I'd have them assemble the PC for me as well.

Lethality

Just wondering,
Would I be able to SLI 2-3 GTX Titans on my ASUS P8Z77-V LK or would I need to upgrade my motherboard?
I'm planning on a massive upgrade around November/December and decide to go 2 or possibly 3 GTX Titans.

Namek

Neo Member
I ended up purchasing a PC from digitalstorm.com due to a recommendation from a friend. Having not owned a desktop PC in 10+ years, I hadn't kept up with the hardware technology changes, so having someone else build it for me was great.

Ended up with the following:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4570 3.20 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-C (Intel Z87 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Seagate (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB (Includes PhysX)

Now the question I have is - what precautions can I take to keep this running as effectively as possible? My past PCs have had the typical rot (becomes slow), and I don't want this to reoccur. I'm afraid of even transferring over my 160GB of music as I don't want to fragment the drive. (Is a defrag option even available in Windows 7 anymore?)

Would putting a SSD drive and this 1TB as my storage/install space be ideal? Or overkill.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I ended up purchasing a PC from digitalstorm.com due to a recommendation from a friend. Having not owned a desktop PC in 10+ years, I hadn't kept up with the hardware technology changes, so having someone else build it for me was great.

Ended up with the following:

Now the question I have is - what precautions can I take to keep this running as effectively as possible? My past PCs have had the typical rot (becomes slow), and I don't want this to reoccur. I'm afraid of even transferring over my 160GB of music as I don't want to fragment the drive. (Is a defrag option even available in Windows 7 anymore?)

Would putting a SSD drive and this 1TB as my storage/install space be ideal? Or overkill.

PC performance degrades because
- mechanical hd starts to fail
- malware/viruses/etc
- hd storage
- Insufficient RAM
- PSU problems
- too many programs launching at start up

Go for SSD and 1 tb. Keep on top of malware with malwarebytes. Run diagnostics frequently. Lots of links in OP.

knitoe

Just wondering,
Would I be able to SLI 2-3 GTX Titans on my ASUS P8Z77-V LK or would I need to upgrade my motherboard?
I'm planning on a massive upgrade around November/December and decide to go 2 or possibly 3 GTX Titans.
You can run 2 Titans, but not 3. For 3, you are looking at socket 2011 CPUs and X79 MBs.

Hard-drive question for you guys. What's the difference between these two drives besides the size? I plan on using the drives for video/photo editing.
WD Black are faster and have 5 vs 2 year warranty. For video / photo editing, the faster the better, and thus, WD Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom