• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Out of curiosity, where did you manage to fit that H110 in the Twelve Hundred?

I'll look into the cases you've mentioned after I pay this crap off. And yeah, my current WC'd unit is quiet as hell even though I was having problems mostly due to my ignorance on the chip.

And I mount the Radiator/Fans at the top of the case in a push/pull config. It barely fits but it does, had to muck around with setting the screw holes, because it's like a giant circle instead of the usual top fan mounts. I could also mount them at the back where the exhaust is now (1x 190cfm, 1x 120mm underneath). I might change that around actually now that you mention it. Stick the top fan I took out back in and ditch the 190cfm fan for less noise....or maybe just mount the 190cfm fan in it's place. :p

And on a sidenote I HATE mounting the Hydro radiators, you have to awkwardly hold it up to the fans and hope you've positioned it right to screw into the radiator holes. And they strip out EASILY, so you have to be extra careful. It sucks.

mkenyon

Banned
Feel free to PM me anytime or on gmail, address is the same as my username here if you want some thoughts on changing things up. If there's one thing I have lots of information on, it's cases and fans.

Such an epic setup certainly deserves an equally epic enclosure, IMO!

Coldsnap

Finished my i5 3570k overclock few weeks ago. Ended at a modest 4.8ghz using offset with temps at 26*C and 59*C at load. It's funny though, theirs a very large gap between 4.8 and 4.9. Using h100i, very happy with it.

Shoutouts to Lostsupper for deliding my CPU after my botch attempt.

So I got my Samsung 840 EVO in my PC and got Windows installed along with some basic drivers and so forth. Runs very nicely.

What is the easiest way to transfer over programs and settings from my existing WD hard drive? Obviously I can just reinstall things one by one but is there a quicker way? I don't want to clone my whole hard drive to my SSD but I'd want a quicker way to transfer over some programs and settings than just doing all of that manually.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Feel free to PM me anytime or on gmail, address is the same as my username here if you want some thoughts on changing things up. If there's one thing I have lots of information on, it's cases and fans.

Such an epic setup certainly deserves an equally epic enclosure, IMO!

I'm actually liking the Shinobi XL the more I look into it. Around the same price I paid for the Twelve Hundred too. Maybe in the future I'll switch to that, the others are too expensive for me to want to pay for a PC case. But that one seems really nice, and I need at least one case that's not black anyway.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Finished my i5 3570k overclock few weeks ago. Ended at a modest 4.8ghz using offset with temps at 26*C and 59*C at load. It's funny though, theirs a very large gap between 4.8 and 4.9. Using h100i, very happy with it.

Shoutouts to Lostsupper for deliding my CPU after my botch attempt.

Great job bro, I always stopped at 4.8GHz on my Ivy's and Sandy's. So be happy and content with that. I guess if you really wanted to you could give the Indigo Extreme a try and push it to 4.9-5.0GHz (with H100i 100% fans). Don't know how that would work out though. Phase change is really the only solution for EXTREME OCing.

But I'm always happy at 4.8GHz. No real need practically to take it further.

One question, what's the safest way to deliddle a Haswell i7? I'm totally not comfortable with some of the methods. I'd fuck it up on benzo's.

Trasher

Alright, so I've downloaded the Win 7 ISO, and now I'm guessing that I need to format a USB drive so I can install it? I've tried looking around for guides on this, but all I keep finding are walkthroughs for people that have the discs, which I obviously don't. Anyone have a guide that fits my situation better?

Coldsnap

Forgot to mention fans are running at about 70% at full load. I think I bought like 12-14 fans and tried so many different setups switching between Corsair AF & SP quiet and AF & Sp performance. The happy medium I found between performance and silence was having a push/pull setup on my h100i with Corsair SP performance running at about 70%. They were too loud at 100% but the silents were not pushing enough air at 100%.

Is there any software that you can toggle to display your CPU temp in game? I have CorsairLink make a log, but I really would like to see it live.

4.8 is a great OC, be very happy with that!

Thanks!

Great job bro, I always stopped at 4.8GHz on my Ivy's and Sandy's. So be happy and content with that. I guess if you really wanted to you could give the Indigo Extreme a try and push it to 4.9-5.0GHz (with H100i 100% fans). Don't know how that would work out though. Phase change is really the only solution for EXTREME OCing.

But I'm always happy at 4.8GHz. No real need practically to take it further.

One question, what's the safest way to deliddle a Haswell i7? I'm totally not comfortable with some of the methods. I'd fuck it up on benzo's.

Yea, I'm pretty content with 4.8. With 4.9 I would have to go from 1.39volts to over 1.55volts to be stable, I tried it a few times and that's with a few bios settings set to extreme.

Coldsnap

I did. And all I keep finding are people with OS's that are already setup and they are just upgrading.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Installation

To install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool:

Click to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool installation file.

When you are prompted to either save the file to disk or run it, choose Run.

Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.

Hey Hazaro, I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU! for helping me build my new PC with your awesome thread. I finally got all my parts, put it together (my first build), and now I'm happily posting on GAF. :D

Xisiqomelir

Not a useful post, I'm just hoping/praying in-thread for a 16:10 4k IPS monitor.

Actually, since I'm just dreaming, how about a 16:10 4k CRT

maneil99

please tell me reasons why I shouldn't reformat my PC again after 2 months, I have some weird desire because I installed some corsair h80i stuff that I don't need and installed a new cpu

Need to get a recommendation for a gaming mouse. I currently have Logitech G500 that's having issues with the left click. Sometime when I click it it does a double click, and when I hold it down it may register the first second then stop and the continue after a few seconds. Thinking about buying a new G500 since I liked it so much, been also reading about the Deathadder too. Mainly play Counter Strike: GO and Starcraft II. Getting into DOTA 2 as well. Would love some advice and to see what ya'll use.

Addnan

Need to get a recommendation for a gaming mouse. I currently have Logitech G500 that's having issues with the left click. Sometime when I click it it does a double click, and when I hold it down it may register the first second then stop and the continue after a few seconds. Thinking about buying a new G500 since I liked it so much, been also reading about the Deathadder too. Mainly play Counter Strike: GO and Starcraft II. Getting into DOTA 2 as well. Would love some advice and to see what ya'll use.
Check op for best mouse for different needs. I personally use the CM Xornet because I was on a tight budget. Will be getting the Steelseries sensei raw in a few weeks. It feels really good and the sensor on it is pretty great.

maneil99

Check op for best mouse for different needs. I personally use the CM Xornet because I was on a tight budget. Will be getting the Steelseries sensei raw in a few weeks. It feels really good and the sensor on it is pretty great.

If you like the CM check out the new CM havok

Hey, I still recommend the BP550 to people. It's just that I can't buy their stuff for *me*.

FWIW, I had a P180 awhile back. I bought Antec stuff along the way, but at some point, it's like they just stopped giving a shit and relied on name recognition as well as access to a number of big box stores (like Best Buy).

I'm really really really picky when it comes to cases though. That should make everyone feel better about the choices in the OP at least!

Some options off the top of my head:

Fractal Define XL R2
Lian Li X2000FN
NZXT H630
Lian Li V750
CaseLabs SM8
BitFenix Shinobi XL
Corsair 900D
Little Devil PC-V7

But really, any setup like that I'd have totally under water. Too much noise otherwise. That kind of limits it to something like the CaseLabs SMH10 or 900D.

I'm so jealous of the mATX small form cases. I roll with the Fractal Design XL R2 myself, but if I could do it all over again, I would have gone with an mATX build. Only because my Haswell is going to be such a pain in the ass to overclock reasonably.

Krilekk

Banned
When building a nice rig with 1080p/60fps in mind, should I build it around a Radeon 7970 or a Titan? Is the 500 € difference in price justified? How does it change if I want to enjoy 3D gaming?

When building a nice rig with 1080p/60fps in mind, should I build it around a Radeon 7970 or a Titan? Is the 500 € difference in price justified? How does it change if I want to enjoy 3D gaming?
The opinion's been voiced here a lot that while it's nice to have The Best Card, the average user fares much better in just buying an upper-mid-range card every few years. Future proofing is bullshit.
At the moment, something like a 760 does 1080p/60fps in almost any game and will perform like that for quite a while more.
If you think you really need the power, get a 780.

maneil99

If someone can reply to my above comment aswell as this question. Since getting a new desk ect my rear speaks are the only ones that play sound along with the base in YT. Doing audio tests has them all sound proper.

maneil99

The opinion's been voiced here a lot that while it's nice to have The Best Card, the average user fares much better in just buying an upper-mid-range card every few years. Future proofing is bullshit.
At the moment, something like a 760 does 1080p/60fps in almost any game and will perform like that for quite a while more.
If you think you really need the power, get a 780.
I'd argue buying a top end card and selling it every year for the next years model is decent. Ended up paying 100$ plus some for each card from a 480-580-680. 780 doesnt count since it had a higher base cost.

Vlodril

Hello. I am looking for a new headset. I had a logitech g930 and of course as soon as ff launched they broke ..

Now i am looking for something up to 60 euro's. Wireless and comfortable to wear for a good amount of time. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I'd argue buying a top end card and selling it every year for the next years model is decent. Ended up paying 100$ plus some for each card from a 480-580-680. 780 doesnt count since it had a higher base cost.
Upgrading your card every generation and selling the old card is always a decent way to go, that's a given. You don't need top end horsepower though if you're aiming for 1080p/60fps.

Edit: Sorry Krillek, I somehow missed that you wanted 3D as well. I don't know shit about that, but I'd guess the 760 won't cut it. Go 770, 7970 or even 780.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Asked this a few times but I keep making minor tweaks. Plan on buying this in the next week or 2 and would love some final thoughts

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($97.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1296.45

I am gaming on a single 1080p monitor, don't plan on OCing and have a final few questions:
1) Is there a need for a 3rd case fan? I normally don't game for more than 2-3 hours but my machine is on for 12+hours a day.
2) Worth spending the extra ~$50 for a 840 EVO 500GB? I'm coming from a HDD.
3) I'm willing to maybe toss in another $200, anything that would give me a decent performance bump for that price?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I am gaming on a single 1080p monitor, don't plan on OCing and have a final few questions:
1) Is there a need for a 3rd case fan? I normally don't game for more than 2-3 hours but my machine is on for 12+hours a day.
3) I'm willing to maybe toss in another $200, anything that would give me a decent performance bump for that price?

1) If you're not overclocking, no. Two fans is fine. It doesn't matter that your computer is on for 12 hours a day. When idling temps are very low. Extra fans are needed when your comp is being stressed and you need to get air to the processor to bring temp down. It's easy to pop a new fan in down the road if you think you need one.

2) Yes.

3) 4gb version of the 760?

I am putting together a list of things for a new PC.

What do I get if I buy a 'Windows 8 OEM', is it a cd I can install to a hard drive and an authentication code?

valouris

My Current Specs:
This build is approx. 3 years old:
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 Ghz) (Cooler: Corsair A70)
RAM: 2x2 gb OCZ Black Edition 1600Mhz
M/B: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P (AM3)
GPU: Palit 4870 1Gb Ram Dual Bios edition
PSU: Xilence 580W (yeah..I know)
HDDs: 1x750 GB, 1x1 TB I think one is WD Blue Edition and the 1TB is WD Black edition, don't remember well.
Budget: 300EUR (Greece)
Main Use:
Light Gaming 5
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 2
Video Editing 2
Streaming games in HD 1
3D/Model work 1
General Usage 5.
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: This whole post is about Rome 2 Total War and being able to run it smoothly with nice eye candy, without changing CPU and MB
Looking to reuse any parts?: Most of them, looking to change GPU and RAM, maybe put an SSD
When will you build?: Around September, October, no deadline, but it would be nice to play the game on good settings from the start (it comes out Sept. 3rd)
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes!)

I am looking to upgrade my PC mainly to play Rome 2 TW as best as possible with what I have and will remain and enjoy some smooth eye-candy. Obviously I cant do much about the CPU without changing the MB, something that would greatly increase the budget (there is only one better processor for this socket, sadly).

So I am looking to get a better GPU and some RAM and an SSD perhaps.
SSD would help with load times, which would be nice, but I am not sure if I am willing to shell out the cash for it.
RAMwise I don't think I can get anything much faster for this MB, but I could change it for a 8gb kit, do you think there will be much difference?
GPU is the main aspect I can greatly improve, but I realize there is the danger of getting something really good and expensive, that will ultimately won't work at full extent because of the rest of the system holding it back. I guess I will be going for some GTX 7xx or AMD 7xxx, but I don't know if it is worth getting something better, or maybe waiting a bit longer. (if and when I upgrade the MB and CPU, this GPU will probably remain though..)

What does PCGAF think of my build and its upgrading potential? Which card would go nicely with it at this point, without overdoing it? Will 8gb be a meaningful upgrade for Rome 2? (I will enjoy its use in other PC related things as well, but Rome 2 is my main concern at this point)

(p.s. this is my second post on the boards, I just got validated, go easy!)
(p.s.2 nice to meet you all)

Jeb

Yes, and no it won't if it's high % isopropyl alcohol :p

All I found in stores was 70%Ethyl Alcohol, will that work?
Granted, its your average disinfectant, is that 90% alcohol something for tech stuff like this or is that just random types of Alcohol like the disinfectant I have?

n0n44m

Yeah, I think my water cooling system is either not working right, or I got some fucking miracle chip from what I've been reading, or the chip is having issues. My dumbass assumed it was like the Ivy's and Sandy's and immediately pushed it to 4.8 thinking it would be nothing for this uber water system to handle... And at first I was getting solid results, hitting in the high 50's low 60's under Prime/OCCT and in the teens at idle.

All of a sudden last night I exit ROTT, and notice RealTemp reporting my lowest temp was 88c and highest was fucking 94c. So I shut the fucking thing off and rebooted into bios, reset everything to default. And then set it to 4.5GHz, which I'm running the Prime tests as we speak. But the temps so far lowest are 68c, and now it's jumped to 74c highest. And idle when I first booted was high 30's mid 40's. Which I fucking hate. I'm too used to low to mid 20's at best, mid to high 20's at worst. :\

No, there's been sort of a lost in translation here I guess. My Titan setup is a LGA 2011 mobo, and a Sandy Bridge Hexacore Extreme. My new Haswell build is the new Z87 Asus Sabertooth and Tri-SLI 780's.

(...)

Haswell 780 Setup (final for now):
-Haswell 4770K 3.5GHz (@4.2GHz)
-ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87
-BenQ Gaming XL2720T Black 27" 1ms 120Htz
-Tri-SLI EVGA GTX 780 3GB
-3x WD Scorpio Blue 1TB HDD's
-Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SSD
-Seasonic X-850 850watt PSU
-Koolance EXC-800 Portable 800W Recirculating Liquid Chiller (Not off Newegg)
-Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Gaming Case (water cooling closed case ready) (Not off Newegg)
-LG Black Blu-Ray Rewriter
-Leopold Keyboard cherry blue switches
-Razer 2013 mouse
-32GB (4x 8GB sticks) GSkill Ripjaws X

And I just bought all the Haswell rig stuff not too long ago, so I've got to pay that off before I get anything further. Still have a leftover GTX 780 though, unwrapped with SP: Blacklist voucher attached. How much could I sell that for?

well you don't have regular water cooling, but water chilling. Which is very awesome if you want liquid temperatures beneath ambient, but it does have a strict limit before it gets overwhelmed and temps start rising quickly.

your Koolance unit can cool 800W of heat, which should be plenty for just a CPU but not enough if you watercool those triple 780s as well ... are they watercooled ?

can't you view the liquid temp on that unit ? if it clearly spikes when you're getting high CPU temperatures then the chiller is probably overloaded

Azulsky

1) Only if your temps are getting hot

2) Yes

3) for $200 you could move up to a GTX 770 and then spend the remainder to bump your PSU to a 750W model to give you more headroom.

On 1080p a 770 is going to give you more longevity than the 760.

daevv

First time posting here but I do lurk from time to time. Be gentle. :)

I'm super new to modern PC gaming but would be happy with a machine that runs games that look like the current PS3 and Xbox 360 titles. I really like Steam and how easy they have made it to buy/install/and play games. Something that was lacking in my mid to late 90's Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, Baldurs Gate, gaming days.

Other than changing the occasional harddrive, power supply, or ram I have no idea on building a PC or the inner workings. It would be great if I could buy a decent all in one or already assembled cpu. I came across Futureshop today as they have a gaming PC sale on now till the 29th. They have a cheap under $600 machine that I want to get your opinions on.

LINK

Would this be good as a starter gaming PC? Something that will give me PS3/360 visuals and speed, something to keep in the Mancave away from the home office and wife's off the shelf Walmart, bill paying, facebook machine . :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom