• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Basic timeline from what I gather:

There's the new Radeons in October, course not really sure what to expect yet, although it strikes me as interesting that there have been so many deals on the midrange priced cards lately.

Then in November there will hopefully be some pretty sick deals on the rest of your computer's parts around Black Friday.

Spring 2014 will have the next generation Nvidias which will probably trump whatever AMD has out in October.

June 2014 will have DDR4 on sale en masse to consumers, and new Intel processors to support it. The DDR4 is supposed to be considerably faster, but both it and the new CPUs will most likely have high price tags to match.

Thanks. I think I'll put off my build a month or two so I can see the new GPU's and get the deals from Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I didn't know that DDR4 RAM was on the way either. That's very interesting.

Azulsky

I've wanted to build a Gaming PC for a while now, and I think I may finally get around to it next month. However, with the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's right around the corner, I'm debating whether or not I should wait to do my build. I know that if I wait for the newest parts to come out I'll be waiting forever, but these new cards are so close that I think it might be worth it.

Any suggestions?

If you are going to get only a single GPU then I would just wait and see what the new AMD stuff looks like.

If you are going to go multi GPU i would vote Nvidia.

Problem right now is that they havent completely ironed out the framestutter issues with Crossfire.

Personally I havent touched AMD since the 9700Pro, but i hear they are good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Talked to some nice vendors today at PAX, woo!
Will try to get parts update + some extra stuff in the OP in some type of format that makes sense after next Sunday.

FecFInd.jpg

Just the OS to go, and possibly a 360 controller if I can't get the DS3 drivers to work

@kharma, went for the cheaper SSD since I figure I won't miss having a better one, as I've never had one before :)

Worth making a list of warranties so I can keep track of what parts are covered and for how long?

kharma45

FecFInd.jpg

Just the OS to go, and possibly a 360 controller if I can't get the DS3 drivers to work

@kharma, went for the cheaper SSD since I figure I won't miss having a better one, as I've never had one before :)

Worth making a list of warranties so I can keep track of what parts are covered and for how long?

Yeah won't hurt to do that.

at the end of the day all SSDs are fast relative to an HDD. you'll still be blown away :p

Which SSD is recommended for the 128Gb to 256GB range?

Get a Hyper 212 instead of that H50.

Swap the CX PSU for a Rosewill Hive 650w modular or an Antec BP550.

Ditch the optical drive

$114 for this 16GB RAM, swap to it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Do you even need 16GB? If you just gaming you don't.

Thanks for taking the time. I switched the PSU, and H50 out per your recommendation. Also going to go without the optical drive as I don't use it often and I figure if I ever need it I can by it at that point in time.

LordAlu

FecFInd.jpg

I have to say that is an excellent system. Enjoy it! :)

nin1000

Banned
After 2 years my Current GPU died and as i build the PC 4 years ago i was thinking of building a new one in order to play battlefield 4 at high settings and to Video Edit.

My current specs are as follows :

CPU : AMD Phenom X4 9550 ( at 2.2 gigs)
RAM : A-Data PC2 6400 Extreme Edition 4 GB DDR2-RAM Kit
Motherboard : msi k9 neo v3 ( Model MS-7388)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 ( 1 gig model)
PSU : CORSAIR CX 600
CASE : Antec three Hundred
HDD :Western Digital WD5000AAKX Blue 500GB

Currently living in Germany
I would spend something between 400 and 600 [Euros Maximum as i think that i have to buy myself a new Motherboard/ GPU and CPU and RAM but i am willing to spend more if needed as i would like to play Battlefield 4 at frames between 40 and 60 ( does not have to be at Ultra settings but high would be nice ) and video edit ( if it would be possible in that price range emulate Fzero GX ( Dolphin ) on it.

Would love to reuse the Case and the PSU as i think they are sufficient but hey i dont know much in that regard so help me here GAF :)

The Current deadline would be the release of Battlefield 4 , would love to play the game on my new machine.

Will i be OC ? a no as i dont even know how to, so it would be nice if the CPU would be OC already.

Monitor Resolution : it will be mainly just 1920x1200

I hope somebody can help me in building my new rig , thanks GAF :)

Addnan

After 2 years my Current GPU died and as i build the PC 4 years ago i was thinking of building a new one in order to play battlefield 4 at high settings and to Video Edit.

My current specs are as follows :

CPU : AMD Phenom X4 9550 ( at 2.2 gigs)
RAM : A-Data PC2 6400 Extreme Edition 4 GB DDR2-RAM Kit
Motherboard : msi k9 neo v3 ( Model MS-7388)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 ( 1 gig model)
PSU : CORSAIR CX 600
CASE : Antec three Hundred
HDD :Western Digital WD5000AAKX Blue 500GB

Currently living in Germany
I would spend something between 400 and 600 [Euros Maximum as i think that i have to buy myself a new Motherboard/ GPU and CPU and RAM but i am willing to spend more if needed as i would like to play Battlefield 4 at frames between 40 and 60 ( does not have to be at Ultra settings but high would be nice ) and video edit ( if it would be possible in that price range emulate Fzero GX ( Dolphin ) on it.

Would love to reuse the Case and the PSU as i think they are sufficient but hey i dont know much in that regard so help me here GAF :)

The Current deadline would be the release of Battlefield 4 , would love to play the game on my new machine.

Will i be OC ? a no as i dont even know how to, so it would be nice if the CPU would be OC already.

Monitor Resolution : it will be mainly just 1920x1200

I hope somebody can help me in building my new rig , thanks GAF :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€199.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI H87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€101.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€63.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€56.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (€254.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €676.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-31 12:14 CEST+0200)

Your case and PSU should be fine. This goes to €676. If you want to save more get a weaker graphics card, perhaps the 660Ti.

nin1000

Banned

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€199.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€63.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€56.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (€254.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Your case and PSU should be fine. This goes to €676. If you want to save more get a weaker graphics card, perhaps the 660Ti.

WOW Thank you for the fast response ! this looks like a good price !
thanks again for the good work ! LOVE YOU GAF!

Stubo

€15 more at Amazon for the 4670k to get yourself future overclocking potential :) (It's really REALLY easy, I promise!)

nin1000

Banned
€15 more at Amazon for the 4670k to get yourself future overclocking potential :) (It's really REALLY easy, I promise!)

Thanks for the heads up will be ordering the 4670k then instead of the 4670.
You guys will be hearing from me as soon as the parts get delivered :)

Addnan

Thanks for the heads up will be ordering the 4670k then instead of the 4670.
You guys will be hearing from me as soon as the parts get delivered :)

If you go with this make sure to change the motherboard to a Z87 which a decent one will cost about €30 more + a cooler around €20-30. Price does start to add up, but it's worth it if you go with it.

edit: The G45 gaming costs €140 http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CXOMIHE/ sold by Amazon

If you go with this make sure to change the motherboard to a Z87 which a decent one will cost about €30 more + a cooler around €20-30. Price does start to add up, but it's worth it if you go with it.

Make sure you take note of this @nin1000. You can 4670 +H87 + stock cooler (these three are my set-up for my Mitx pc) if no overclocking. 4670k + z87 + non stock cooler if overclocking.

Stubo

edit: The G45 gaming costs €140 http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CXOMIHE/ sold by Amazon

Make sure you take note of this @Stubbo. You can 4670 +H87 + stock cooler if no overclocking. 4670k + z87 + non stock cooler if overclocking.

Ahh yeah, sorry about this guys! I haven't really kept up with motherboards since I built my PC about a year ago, not sure which chipsets are OC ones any more.

Ahh yeah, sorry about this guys! I haven't really kept up with motherboards since I built my PC about a year ago, not sure which chipsets are OC ones any more.

Ah shit man, I wrote your name there by accident instead of the guy who is buying, I was not trying to make you look dumb or anything there man, just trying to add to it. I've fixed it haha, I wasn't telling you to take note haha I'm surprised you didn't ream me when you read that, the way it came across.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This is probably isn't the correct thread for something like this but I received my EVGA 4GB 770 Classified this week...and...well...this card hates Diablo 3. My 570 maxed this game with no issues and very few frame drops. I'm simply walking around area that aren't very populated by enemies and getting performance drops that go from 60 all the way down to high teens...

Just curious if this is a known problem with 7xx series cards. i72600K and 8GB RAM here as well

I have the same card and ran into the exact same problem. I moved it over to my SSD and ran smooth as butter. You can just copy and paste the diablo 3 folder.

Stubo

Ah shit man, I wrote your name there by accident instead of the guy who is buying, I was not trying to make you look dumb or anything there man, just trying to add to it. I've fixed it haha, I wasn't telling you to take note haha I'm surprised you didn't ream me when you read that, the way it came across.
Haha, no worries!

NuKERxyz

Hi GAFers!

This is my current Rig:

I5 2500k@4.1ghz (oc)
P8p67 LE
8Gb DDR3 1600mhz´
GTX 560 Ti

I Want to change my GPU (to get a better performance in BF4 and the new games), im still happy with it but in games like BF3 i have to put down a few things in Medium/High and no AA, SBAO...to get above 60fps in MP games most of the time

Im interested between Gigabyte 7950 and Gigabyte 670(2gb), they cost the same price 209£.

Whats your opinion between this two cards and is it wothe the upgrade?

thx in advance

Addnan

Hi GAFers!

This is my current Rig:

I5 2500k@4.1ghz (oc)
P8p67 LE
8Gb DDR3 1600mhz´
GTX 560 Ti

I Want to change my GPU (to get a better performance in BF4 and the new games), im still happy with it but in games like BF3 i have to put down a few things in Medium/High and no AA, SBAO...to get above 60fps in MP games most of the time

Im interested between Gigabyte 7950 and Gigabyte 670(2gb), they cost the same price 209£.

Whats your opinion between this two cards and is it wothe the upgrade?

thx in advance
It's worth the upgrade. I would go for the 670, the two cards perform similarly with the 670 edging it in most instances. Plus if you order from Scan.co.uk and if it says it comes with Splinter Cell it also comes with Batman. Scroll down for 670. http://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/freebatman

RSTEIN

Is this the guide I want if I'm going to overclock my i5 3570k? Also any tips would be helpful, how hard is it to get 4.2Ghz with an aftermarket air cooler?

I haven't read the guide but you should have no problem getting to 4.2 ghz.

It's quite easy:

1) set your LLC to high
2) change your CPU ratio to 42
3) set you voltage to 1.25.
4) run prime95 blend for 20 mins
5) no problems, crank up the ratio to 44
6) run prime95 again
7) if you get a blue screen or reboot then raise the voltage
8) dial in the OC. Goal: max OC with lowest voltage while maintaining system stability.

Download a temp monitor from the op. As a rule of thumb, make sure you're not exceeding 80c. With a 212 evo you should be well under 80c with Prime95 even at 4.5 ghz. You should be able to get 4.2 - 4.5 with around 1.25v. Never exceed 1.3v.

Addnan

Great deal, but i guess they dont send it to Portugal :(

Almost limited to buy at Amazon.uk
http://www.scan.co.uk/info/faq
Q. Do you ship Internationally ?
A. We ship to most countries in the EU at competitive rates. You can contact the Scan Retail Sales dept during business hours on 0871-472-4747 ( Option 2 > Option 1 ) or visit our support page to log an on-line query.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to call that number from Portugal though. They do have a call back option at the bottom, or you can contact them online.

They do ship internationally, but you have to contact.

If it costs too much then still get the 670 from Amazon.

NuKERxyz

http://www.scan.co.uk/info/faq
Q. Do you ship Internationally ?
A. We ship to most countries in the EU at competitive rates. You can contact the Scan Retail Sales dept during business hours on 0871-472-4747 ( Option 2 > Option 1 ) or visit our support page to log an on-line query.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to call that number from Portugal though. They do have a call back option at the bottom, or you can contact them online.

They do ship internationally, but you have to contact.

If it costs too much then still get the 670 from Amazon.

Thanks!
Wont the "only" 2gb vram on the normal 670 be bad for BF4 compared to the 3gb on the 7950?

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Hey guys, after a quick opinion.

Long story short, I put together a new PC about a month ago. Everything was sweet, until a week ago when my PC suddenly shut down and would not start again. After a ton of troubleshooting, I managed to isolate the issue to the motherboard which an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming.

I took the motherboard back to the store I purchased it from, and after a quick look, they are claiming the pins on the CPU slot are broken, and that this is my fault - so they are going to send it to the MSI service center, and I will have to pay the repair cost.

I'm just wondering, is it even possible that I broke the pins? I have installed processors before, this isn't the first PC I've built, and this has never happened. The only way I can think of it happening is if I screwed the cooler cap (I'm using liquid cooling) on too tightly (pretty sure it wasn't that tight, especially since it came off really easily when disassembling). But if I did that, does it make sense for the PC to have worked flawlessly for three weeks and then suddenly die?

Hey guys, after a quick opinion.

Long story short, I put together a new PC about a month ago. Everything was sweet, until a week ago when my PC suddenly shut down and would not start again. After a ton of troubleshooting, I managed to isolate the issue to the motherboard which an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming.

I took the motherboard back to the store I purchased it from, and after a quick look, they are claiming the pins on the CPU slot are broken, and that this is my fault - so they are going to send it to the MSI service center, and I will have to pay the repair cost.

I'm just wondering, is it even possible that I broke the pins? I have installed processors before, this isn't the first PC I've built, and this has never happened. The only way I can think of it happening is if I screwed the cooler cap (I'm using liquid cooling) on too tightly (pretty sure it wasn't that tight, especially since it came off really easily when disassembling). But if I did that, does it make sense for the PC to have worked flawlessly for three weeks and then suddenly die?

You used zero insertion force when installing the cpu, correct? No pressing down like you would to install memory? What about wiggling the processor to make sure it's in place? Some people do that, I don't. When I installed my 2600k, it felt like a vacuum or magnet sucked the cpu into the socket. It just felt right and I knew that I did it correctly the first time. I of course checked the two side notches before pulling the retainer clip down.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
You used zero insertion force when installing the cpu, correct? No pressing down like you would to install memory? What about wiggling the processor to make sure it's in place? Some people do that, I don't. When I installed my 2600k, it felt like a vacuum or magnet sucked the cpu into the socket. It just felt right and I knew that I did it correctly the first time. I of course checked the two side notches before pulling the retainer clip down.

Yep, my CPU is a 4770k and it fit so snug. Just like you said, felt like it was sucked right into the socket.

I don't like to think too negatively since I used to work in repairs (though for phones), but I have a strange feeling the store might be trying to avoid just giving me a replacement. It may have crossed my mind that the store may have fucked it up themselves while checking it (either on purpose or by accident) and are trying to shift the blame to me.

I'm mostly at a loss as to why it would work perfectly for 3 weeks and then just die. If I did somehow break the pins, I'd assume it would just not boot right after building...

Seanspeed

Banned
I haven't read the guide but you should have no problem getting to 4.2 ghz.

It's quite easy:

1) set your LLC to high
2) change your CPU ratio to 42
3) set you voltage to 1.25.
4) run prime95 blend for 20 mins
5) no problems, crank up the ratio to 44
6) run prime95 again
7) if you get a blue screen or reboot then raise the voltage
8) dial in the OC. Goal: max OC with lowest voltage while maintaining system stability.

Download a temp monitor from the op. As a rule of thumb, make sure you're not exceeding 80c. With a 212 evo you should be well under 80c with Prime95 even at 4.5 ghz. You should be able to get 4.2 - 4.5 with around 1.25v. Never exceed 1.3v.
Is there a negative to pushing things to near instability, though? Does this shorten the life of the components involved?

Basically, is just sticking with 4.2Ghz and having some overhead in terms of performance potential better for reliability in the long run?

Yep, my CPU is a 4770k and it fit so snug. Just like you said, felt like it was sucked right into the socket.

I don't like to think too negatively since I used to work in repairs (though for phones), but I have a strange feeling the store might be trying to avoid just giving me a replacement. It may have crossed my mind that the store may have fucked it up themselves while checking it (either on purpose or by accident) and are trying to shift the blame to me.

I'm mostly at a loss as to why it would work perfectly for 3 weeks and then just die. If I did somehow break the pins, I'd assume it would just not boot right after building...

Which store by the way? I watch this one famous steamer on Twitch.tv. He had fry's build his computer for him and it was delayed a couple days because the first person who built it put too much thermal paste and it leaked to the bottom of the cpu. Just a small anecdote about how some of these stores have clueless technicians.

I learned from your story though to take a picture of my pins if I ever have to get it checked out so they can't pull one over me.

GAF, I'm freaking excited: all of my stuff is nearly ready (only have the CPU and GPU left to buy, in October-ish) and here for assembly! Will upload pics and a spec list after camera charges.

I pretty much only have one question left: can I use my TV as a monitor during the building process? Or do I need an OS installed prior to using it on a TV.

I'm feeling the exact same way :D

Motherboard arrived earlier, just waiting for the GPU, SSD and keyboard

What do manafacturer warranties generally cover? Just breakage and malfunctioning that is not your fault?

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Which store by the way? I watch this one famous steamer on Twitch.tv. He had fry's build his computer for him and it was delayed a couple days because the first person who built it put too much thermal paste and it leaked to the bottom of the cpu. Just a small anecdote about how some of these stores have clueless technicians.

I learned from your story though to take a picture of my pins if I ever have to get it checked out so they can't pull one over me.

Actually I live in Seoul, so I got it from a store named J-Tech in an area called Yongsan. This store has a really good reputation, and when I bought the parts I was given an amazing deal. The buying part was sweet, but this after service is bullshit (unless I am genuinely in the wrong, but I really don't feel I am).

It's like they completely ignored me every time I mentioned "it worked PERFECTLY for three weeks!!" and just kept saying "well the pins show that there is damage blah blah". Ugh.

RSTEIN

Is there a negative to pushing things to near instability, though? Does this shorten the life of the components involved?

Basically, is just sticking with 4.2Ghz and having some overhead in terms of performance potential better for reliability in the long run?

Overclocking definitely shortens the lifespan of your CPU. In theory, a CPU OC'ed at 4.2ghz would have a longer lifespan than a CPU OC'ed at 4.5ghz. Just like an engine running at higher RPM would have a lower lifespan.

However, for the gaming enthusiast, it's not a problem because components are going to be swapped out (i.e., upgraded) well before the components approach the end of their usefull lives. We're talking about components that are going to last for years, no matter what. I don't have the precise data (mobile at the moment) but maybe someone else has expected lifespan data.

The only risk is if you push the voltage and fry the system. This only becomes an issue beyond 1.30v. But most k chips can get to 4.5ghz no prob at 1.27v or less.

Timan

Developer
Looking to build my brother a gaming pc, and was able to come up with the following, anyone have any feedback? Single graphics card, 1 monitor (2560x1600), so thats why I went with the 7990. Also extremely worried about noise.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 94.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($168.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($162.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card ($604.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1650.66

Addnan

Looking to build my brother a gaming pc, and was able to come up with the following, anyone have any feedback? Single graphics card, 1 monitor (2560x1600), so thats why I went with the 7990. Also extremely worried about noise.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H90 94.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($168.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($162.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7990 6GB Video Card ($604.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1650.66

7990 is not a single card, it's a crossfire card in one. Would personally rather go for a 780 and avoid all the problems of crossfire and sli.not sure about that motherboard, but Asus are generally good. MSI GD65 is a great board too.edit just saw Matx, ignore second bit!

kennah

Hell of a machine there. Way overkill for just games. Also the 7990 is pretty loud.

You could drop down to an i5, 8gig of ram and a 780 to make it a bit cheaper and quieter.

Unless you're going to delid the H60 is enough to cool Haswell.

But if you're really worried about noise you should be going full water ;)

Is Crossfiring just doubling down on GPUs and combining them?

Do they have to be from the same series, ie. 2 x 7950? Can you combine AMD and Nvidia cards?

Tomodachi

Back from my summer holiday, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a new cpu/mobo/ram set for my pc. I'm glad I waited a few weeks, the Z77A-G45 is finally in stock on Amazon Italy.

I was about to finalize the order when I noticed the Z77A-G41 is much cheaper than the G45 though, 103€ vs 75€, and browsing through the MSI website I figured the only difference between them is in the number of internal and external ports. I don't plan on buying multiple GPUs so I don't really need the extra PCI-E port and stuff and it would be nice to save those extra 30€. Is there something I'm missing that really differentiates the two mobos or can I safely buy the G41 and be done with my upgrade?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom