• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

Fleer
I would never buy a newly introduced SSD. Get something from last year that has been proven to be reliable.

? Most newly introduced SSD's using existing controllers and existing NAND.. it's not that big of a deal.

I just got the EVO.. it's TLC but i really liked the idea of having onboard DDR3 as cache.

kharma45

Cheers. I can stretch to the extra tenner for Samsung if reliability if its something to worry about with the Crucial :)

Might as well ask here rather than google, how long is the Office trial that comes with Windows 8?

Office trial is 60 days iirc.

Crucial reliability is fine, it's just the speed was the concern. Saw somewhere that write speeds were worse than some SATA II drives.

It lives! Just installed Windows, and checked out the SSD boot-to-desktop times. Yep, it's pretty much motherofgod.jpg levels of speed.

Yeah SSDs are the single best thing to happen to PCs in the last few years.

Excellent. Congrats. :)

I got my replacement Dell U2412M in today. Its just as freakin bad. I don't get it. Its unbearable.

Definitely getting a refund.

Sorry to hear that, Dell stuff is usually top drawer.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sorry to hear that, Dell stuff is usually top drawer.
I just don't quite understand what people's standards are with this stuff. Hardly *any* of the reviews mention such bad glow, yet I cant imagine I just happened to be so unlucky as to have two defective products sent to me in a row.

And I'm left with no idea what to get. Is this sort of problem common to all IPS monitors? The picture is beautiful and I'd love to have something similar to this, but I'm not really willing to deal with more disappointment and returns if I can just expect more of the same.

I even went back to read some GAF threads about IPS monitors and this issue only gets brought up rarely. Those who do mention it seem to also be surprised that its not mentioned more, so I'm thinking this is just something that a lot of people can overlook? I play in a darker room and I like a lot of dark games and movies, so maybe most people don't experience the issue as bad? I don't know. I really don't know and its frustrating to have no idea what sort of monitor I should be looking at. At this point, I feel like I cant trust what people are saying at all.

I'm tempted to try out 120hz now, but that's another £40 more for the BenQ 2411T, and I've already stretched the budget just to get here. I also don't have a high end rig and probably wouldn't enjoy the benefits of the 120hz screen for newer games.

I'm pretty torn. I might just get some cheaper 24" screen. Right now, I've got a 22", 1650x1050 at 59hz monitor. I think the jump to 24", 1920x1080 and 60hz will be good enough at around £130-140 at most. If its not great looking, whatever, I didn't spend much on it and it'll at least be better than what I have now....

aett

I'm replacing my GPU and trying to decide between the GTX 660 and the Radeon 7870. The 7870 is about $20 more, which isn't bad, but the overall reviews are less consistent than those for the 660 and I don't know just how much more powerful the 7870 is or if its worth it. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm replacing my GPU and trying to decide between the GTX 660 and the Radeon 7870. The 7870 is about $20 more, which isn't bad, but the overall reviews are less consistent than those for the 660 and I don't know just how much more powerful the 7870 is or if its worth it. Anyone have any thoughts?

what's your budget?

personally I've had great experience with used GPU's, and you may be able to find one locally in your price range that's much stronger than a 660 or 7870.

The value of both of these cards (and the price) should be going down considerably in the fall when the 800 series releases.

nbthedude

You can see the little part at the bottom that connects to the mobo, if you connect that do you not need to worry about those two molex conenctors? Because all the molex connectors on my PSU are labelled "HDD".

I dunno what case you have but my Phantom 410 has a fan controller and 4 extra molex plugs so that if you add more fans you can plug them up to the controller.

My guess is those plugs are for extra fans if you add them later.

nbthedude

The Radeon 7800s have improved pretty dramatically since launch with driver updates. They are really good cards. Definitely worth the extra $20. And they come with a nice game bundle.

aett

what's your budget?

personally I've had great experience with used GPU's, and you may be able to find one locally in your price range that's much stronger than a 660 or 7870.

The value of both of these cards (and the price) should be going down considerably in the fall when the 800 series releases.

I'm trying to stay under $220 or so, unless there's an amazing deal that costs a little more.

I wish I could wait until fall, but I want something soon so I can actually play games... Patience was never my strong suit.

I had a plan to do a full system build next year when Nvidia's 800 series cards are released but skimming over the Star Citizen Pre-Alpha thread, I noticed people discussing Skylake with DDR 4 in 2015. Would it make more sense for me to simply upgrade my GPU next year and wait to upgrade my motherboard and CPU the following year? My current CPU is an i7 930 @3.9Ghz. I was going to go kind of crazy with a higher budget. I was going to possibly go with an i7-4930K.

kharma45

I'm trying to stay under $220 or so, unless there's an amazing deal that costs a little more.

I wish I could wait until fall, but I want something soon so I can actually play games... Patience was never my strong suit.

$220 can get you a 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

I had a plan to do a full system build next year when Nvidia's 800 series cards are released but skimming over the Star Citizen Pre-Alpha thread, I noticed people discussing Skylake with DDR 4 in 2015. Would it make more sense for me to simply upgrade my GPU next year and wait to upgrade my motherboard and CPU the following year? My current CPU is an i7 930 @3.9Ghz. I was going to go kind of crazy with a higher budget. I was going to possibly go with an i7-4930K.

Your CPU is still very strong, if it were me I'd keep holding off until something like Haswell-E.

riflen

How long until DDR3 becomes irrelevant and superseded by DDR4 in the mass market?

It wont become irrelevant for some considerable time. Haswell-E arrives in late 2014 and that is an enthusiast platform.

It's really up to Intel and AMD how hard they push DDR4. By the end of 2015 it could have a significant market share. How long did DDR2 stick around once DDR3 was available at various price-tiers?

EDIT: Badly beaten.

And I'm left with no idea what to get. Is this sort of problem common to all IPS monitors?

If you're sticking in the realm of 60hz, I'll say it again: VG23AH. Pretty sure when you were monitor hunting people suggested it before, so maybe there's an aspect of it your not keen on, but I got one a month ago and it's fantastic. IPS with semi-gloss coating, great viewing angles, no issues with ghosting, lag, backlight bleed, thing has been a dream. I might replace it next year for a 120hz monitor, but for 1080p 60, this thing is brilliant. I'd consider it at least.

Crisco

Banned
So close on biting on this cart,

ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor
Item #: N82E16824236313
Return Policy: Monitor Standard Return Policy
-$40.00 Instant

$309.99
$269.99
EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ EVGA ACX Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130944
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$319.99
NVIDIA GIFT Batman Arkham Origins
Item #: N82E16800995179
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$49.99 Saving

$49.99
$0.00
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820147249
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$110.00 Instant

$479.99
$369.99
Subtotal: $959.97

EMCXMVL55 Discount From Promo Code -$30.00
Grand Total: $935.64

Someone talk me out of this please lol

So, slightly different kind of question. I recently reacquired my old computer case (they were using it at work for the last 4 years), is it still any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129115

It's super old, and only has 80mm fans. I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth using it for a new PC if I decide to build one at some point.

If it still works and you like the case, use it. Cases are more of a personal thing. Some people like windows on the side, some don't. Some people like LED's, while others despise them. Does the case have cable routing? If not, is that something you desire? Is it big enough to fit everything you'll want to put in there. You mentioned it has 80mm fans, can you put some 120's in there? Those are the types of questions you need to ask yourself.

Azulsky

I want to see a review that shows these expanded memory size cards do anything more than a regularly specced card.

Because realistically speaking the GPU is like any other computer where you have bottlenecks.

This is why you see increases in Shader Units/CUDA cores, Memory, and bus width as you go up higher in the foodchain for a video card lineup.

Even if you now have the room for 4GB of textures you dont suddenly have the processing capacity to handle it or the bus to move it.

In fact the only card that comes directly from NVIDIA as essentially just a memory jump is the TITAN(CUDA jump is relatively modest compared to the 25% jump from the 770 to 780). In most cases the performance is almost identical and several reviews have the 780 setups performing better.

My only guess would be for playing older games where you are now just throwing stuff at it. AKA heavily modded Skyrim

aett

Played a few hours of FF XIV on my new PC. Are these temps alright?

GPU(GTX 760): 68
CPU(i5 3330 stock heatsink): 75

May I ask what graphic settings you have FFXIV on and how good/consistent the FPS is? The 760 is starting to look good even if it's a bit above my ideal price.

riflen

I want to see a review that shows these expanded memory size cards do anything more than a regularly specced card.

Because realistically speaking the GPU is like any other computer where you have bottlenecks.

This is why you see increases in Shader Units/CUDA cores, Memory, and bus width as you go up higher in the foodchain for a video card lineup.

Even if you now have the room for 4GB of textures you dont suddenly have the processing capacity to handle it or the bus to move it.

In fact the only card that comes directly from NVIDIA as essentially just a memory jump is the TITAN(CUDA jump is relatively modest compared to the 25% jump from the 770 to 780). In most cases the performance is almost identical and several reviews have the 780 setups performing better.

My only guess would be for playing older games where you are now just throwing stuff at it. AKA heavily modded Skyrim

This has long been my opinion. Manufacturers don't typically pair their GPU engines (for want of a better term) with unsuitable amounts of VRAM. Yes, sometimes VRAM is used for price-tiering, but for example, I don't see 4GB of VRAM on a mid-range card as being a smart purchase. Then again, I only use a single screen and prioritise frame-rate over resolution.

How far from the wall should my tower be to dissipate heat correctly? I don't have a computer desk in my bedroom but I do have a dresser that I was going to put the tower on. Looks like, from where my dresser is at the moment, I have about 3 to 4 inches between wall and back of tower.

kharma45

How far from the wall should my tower be to dissipate heat correctly? I don't have a computer desk in my bedroom but I do have a dresser that I was going to put the tower on. Looks like, from where my dresser is at the moment, I have about 3 to 4 inches between wall and back of tower.

That's fine.

Addnan

Nvidia are now giving Batman Arkham Origin with GTX 660 - GTX780. Seems like a better deal than getting 3 old games with AMD. If the Nvidia one is in addition to Blacklist that is an incredible deal.

kharma45

Nvidia are now giving Batman Arkham Origin with GTX 660 - GTX780. Seems like a better deal than getting 3 old games with AMD. If the Nvidia one is in addition to Blacklist that is an incredible deal.

Yeah Nvidia are offering a better value proposition atm. AMD need to hurry up and refresh the bundle. At least if anyone has bought an AMD card you can just hold on to your codes and redeem them when they do.

Azulsky

What's the scoop on these new Intel Ivy-Es coming out? How are they supposed to compare with current Ivy and Haswell processors?

Haswell still has more IPC, which does matter.

It also depends on what you are using it for. Gaming is not highly threaded no matter what any of those shady types keep telling you.

Any CPU intensive task that can use the cores will make it better than Haswell and Sandy-E.

In other words no surprises. It is a mature architecture and we knew what to expect.

The biggest difference is power efficiency over Sandy E.

nbthedude

Yeah Nvidia are offering a better value proposition atm. AMD need to hurry up and refresh the bundle. At least if anyone has bought an AMD card you can just hold on to your codes and redeem them when they do.

It depends on whether or not you have played the games.

I'm not so sure about Batman Arkham Origins, but I know Tomb Raider is fantastic.

Crisco

Banned
This has long been my opinion. Manufacturers don't typically pair their GPU engines (for want of a better term) with unsuitable amounts of VRAM. Yes, sometimes VRAM is used for price-tiering, but for example, I don't see 4GB of VRAM on a mid-range card as being a smart purchase. Then again, I only use a single screen and prioritise frame-rate over resolution.

For me, I see it as cheap way to extract a little extra longevity out of the card, and I also assume they cherry pick the best binned GPUs for the 4GB versions since the factory OC is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom