• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry113

Banned
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out here with my CPU of choice for my next upgrade. I'm going from an intel core 2 duo and am basically putting together a new PC.

For a gaming PC, is going with an ivy bridge cpu+mobo or a haswell cpu+mobo better? I understand haswell is newer but have heard mixed things about it concerning overclocking and power usage on desktop builds. I was hoping to be able to overclock but I don't know if these supposed issues are really that serious. What do you think?

Addnan

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out here with my CPU of choice for my next upgrade. I'm going from an intel core 2 duo and am basically putting together a new PC.

For a gaming PC, is going with an ivy bridge cpu+mobo or a haswell cpu+mobo better? I understand haswell is newer but have heard mixed things about it concerning overclocking and power usage on desktop builds. I was hoping to be able to overclock but I don't know if these supposed issues are really that serious. What do you think?
Difference between Haswell and Ivy are minimal in gaming. You will have better luck overclocking with Ivy, Haswell gets hot quicker. Haswell is very good for emulation though, if that is something you are interested in.

Hi guys, I'm about to order a new pc. Need some last check from the pros here:

ASRock H87 Pro4

Intel Core i5 4670 / 3.4 GHz

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003

Palit GeForce GTX 770

XFX Core Edition PRO550W

Samsung 840 EVO Basic

LG 22EN43T-B

Corsair Carbide Series 200R

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP

What do you guys think? Will this be able to play BF4 and all the other demanding games?

Thanks for answering!

kharma45

Hi guys, I'm about to order a new pc. Need some last check from the pros here:

ASRock H87 Pro4

Intel Core i5 4670 / 3.4 GHz

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003

Palit GeForce GTX 770

XFX Core Edition PRO550W

Samsung 840 EVO Basic

LG 22EN43T-B

Corsair Carbide Series 200R

Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP

What do you guys think? Will this be able to play BF4 and all the other demanding games?

Thanks for answering!

Get a Z87 board if you want to OC. Maybe a beefier power supply. Looks good otherwise.

PSU is fine.

Sullichin

Yeah Nvidia are offering a better value proposition atm. AMD need to hurry up and refresh the bundle. At least if anyone has bought an AMD card you can just hold on to your codes and redeem them when they do.

I bought an HD7950 a few weeks ago and it didn't come with a bundle code :(

Hex

Banned
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I swear that I heard that you could use the Windows 8 pro Upgrade even on a fresh build with no os?
Have the chance to get it with the student deal, and want to see first if it will work for me.

maneil99

Okay I'm done fiddling around with OCing for a bit, was going crazy, ended up with 1.144v (+0.10v offset ) 4.6ghz, one of the best results I have ever seen, if not the best.

Nvidia are now giving Batman Arkham Origin with GTX 660 - GTX780. Seems like a better deal than getting 3 old games with AMD. If the Nvidia one is in addition to Blacklist that is an incredible deal.

AMD is getting the new sequels of the one they currently have so if you wait to enter the codes then you will get the new games.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I swear that I heard that you could use the Windows 8 pro Upgrade even on a fresh build with no os?
Have the chance to get it with the student deal, and want to see first if it will work for me.

This is actually exactly what I planned on doing, heh.

Get a Z87 board if you want to OC. Maybe a beefier power supply. Looks good otherwise.

I'm not going to OC, never done it and I'm not sure if the minor (?) speed upgrade is worth it. Thanks anyways man!

PSU is fine.

All right.

Thanks guys!

Just one last question: there's no extra cooling. Will the stock coolers be enough to keep the whole thing cool? I've had some problems with temperature in the past and I'm not sure I want to experience this again.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Sorry for the load of questions recently. This is my first proper gaming rig and is there any software I can use to keep track of the GPU drivers?

kharma45

PowerTaxi

Banned
May I ask what graphic settings you have FFXIV on and how good/consistent the FPS is? The 760 is starting to look good even if it's a bit above my ideal price.

I'm so sorry I missed this. I can't run it at 1080p yet(Only have a 1280x1024 monitor) but I'm getting battlefield FPS of around 60, high population places are around 40, and chaotic fates send it it into the 20s(The sound messes up during these parts too so I'm sure its not the GPUs fault).

I'm very happy with the performance so far.

GAF, I'm freaking excited: all of my stuff is nearly ready (only have the CPU and GPU left to buy, in October-ish) and here for assembly! Will upload pics and a spec list after camera charges.

I pretty much only have one question left: can I use my TV as a monitor during the building process? Or do I need an OS installed prior to using it on a TV.

kharma45

GAF, I'm freaking excited: all of my stuff is nearly ready (only have the CPU and GPU left to buy, in October-ish) and here for assembly! Will upload pics and a spec list after camera charges.

I pretty much only have one question left: can I use my TV as a monitor during the building process? Or do I need an OS installed prior to using it on a TV.

You can use your TV.

aett

I'm so sorry I missed this. I can't run it at 1080p yet(Only have a 1280x1024 monitor) but I'm getting battlefield FPS of around 60, high population places are around 40, and chaotic fates send it it into the 20s(The sound messes up during these parts too so I'm sure its not the GPUs fault).

I'm very happy with the performance so far.

Thanks for the info! Are you playing with the settings on Maximum?

This is probably isn't the correct thread for something like this but I received my EVGA 4GB 770 Classified this week...and...well...this card hates Diablo 3. My 570 maxed this game with no issues and very few frame drops. I'm simply walking around area that aren't very populated by enemies and getting performance drops that go from 60 all the way down to high teens...

Just curious if this is a known problem with 7xx series cards. i72600K and 8GB RAM here as well

This is probably isn't the correct thread for something like this but I received my EVGA 4GB 770 Classified this week...and...well...this card hates Diablo 3. My 570 maxed this game with no issues and very few frame drops. I'm simply walking around area that aren't very populated by enemies and getting performance drops that go from 60 all the way down to high teens...

Just curious if this is a known problem with 7xx series cards. i72600K and 8GB RAM here as well

I've heard of this game having really brutal stuttering frame drops, but always saw that attributed to HDD problems. IF you can, put it on SSD, if not, try disabled your HDD's indexing option. I have a 2gb 770, 8gb ram, i5-4670 and no problems, 3200x1800 downsampled at 60fps....as long as it's on my SSD haha. Your rig should thrash it. Did you reinstall it to try it with your new card by any chance, put it on a different drive than before?

Alright strange question. I have a copy of Windows 7 that I'm using with my desktop. My mom got her self a new laptop when she got promoted to do work stuff on. That has Windows 8. Her work software doesn't play nice with Windows 8 (for whatever reason). So instead of having her spend money on a windows 7 license, I was thinking of just giving her my 7 license and taking her Windows 8 license for my desktop.

Am I going to run into any issues with it?

Also any gaming related issues I should be worried about?

Foxyone

When it comes to GPUs, how important is the shader count? I noticed that from the GTX 480 to 680, the shader count went from 448 to 1536. Does that affect performance much?

Also, is it reasonable to expect something like 3072 shaders in the GTX 880 (double that in a 680)? I was thinking that they probably cannot have it with less shaders than a Titan, but 3072 would probably put the card around 6 TFLOPs already, which is a pretty big jump in performance.

kharma45

When it comes to GPUs, how important is the shader count? I noticed that from the GTX 480 to 680, the shader count went from 448 to 1536. Does that affect performance much?

Also, is it reasonable to expect something like 3072 shaders in the GTX 880 (double that in a 680)? I was thinking that they probably cannot have it with less shaders than a Titan, but 3072 would probably put the card around 6 TFLOPs already, which is a pretty big jump in performance.

Fairly important generally. No one knows what to expect with the 880 in that regard, so I'll not even guess those kind of specs.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ick. Having a not so fun time playing around with a Linux boot disc trying to format the hdd in a Lenovo g585 laptop my father received for Christmas last year but never took out of the package. I want to downgrade it to windows 7 but since the disc is gpt formatted it won't install.. There are 7(!) partitions on the harddrive for the recover etc, I deleted the main OS partition with my sysrescue cd and made a new one as ntfs, but when I go back to installing win 7 I get the same error.. Do I need to nuke every partition and reformat the entire disk?

Azulsky

I doubt they will double it.

When you increase the count of a basic computing element in a computer system you increase the required interconnections by an exponential amount. The reason we have been able to get away with this is because process shrinking has been cut in half every year or so for a while now. On a 2D layout that is reducing the area of the circuit by 4x.

So what you end up with is our current situation where the actual functional units of a processor take up single or teens digits of the area of the die and the majority of the area is interconnect layout. This is why when you jump to 6 or 8 cores on an intel CPU you give up the GPU found on the 4 core versions.

You can expect a good jump with the 800 series because they are going from 28nm to 20nm which will free up some more die area.

But since we are on the tail end of a exponential process as we get further along the benefits of each generational shift will be less and less.

Which is why I am glad with Graphics we have such an easy solution in SLI/Crossfire to help out.

kharma45

I doubt they will double it.

When you increase the count of a basic computing element in a computer system you increase the required interconnections by an exponential amount. The reason we have been able to get away with this is because process shrinking has been cut in half every year or so for a while now. On a 2D layout that is reducing the area of the circuit by 4x.

So what you end up with is our current situation where the actual functional units of a processor take up single or teens digits of the area of the die and the majority of the area is interconnect layout. This is why when you jump to 6 or 8 cores on an intel CPU you give up the GPU found on the 4 core versions.

You can expect a good jump with the 800 series because they are going from 28nm to 20nm which will free up some more die area.

But since we are on the tail end of a exponential process as we get further along the benefits of each generational shift will be less and less.

Which is why I am glad with Graphics we have such an easy solution in SLI/Crossfire to help out.

Latest rumour is Maxwell will still be 28nm

Blowdrum

Neo Member
I've wanted to build a Gaming PC for a while now, and I think I may finally get around to it next month. However, with the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's right around the corner, I'm debating whether or not I should wait to do my build. I know that if I wait for the newest parts to come out I'll be waiting forever, but these new cards are so close that I think it might be worth it.

Any suggestions?

Katyusha

I've wanted to build a Gaming PC for a while now, and I think I may finally get around to it next month. However, with the new Nvidia and AMD GPU's right around the corner, I'm debating whether or not I should wait to do my build. I know that if I wait for the newest parts to come out I'll be waiting forever, but these new cards are so close that I think it might be worth it.

Any suggestions?

It depends on what you're content with, really. Do you want to have the newest and best high-end GPU, or will you just settle for the highest tier current GPU? Either way, you will be getting a satisfactory experience.

If you want high end and most recent , I would just wait to see what AMD has to offer. And if you're fine with current GPUs, nVidia and AMD still have some very solid offerings that perform very well.

Any suggestions?

Basic timeline from what I gather:

There's the new Radeons in October, course not really sure what to expect yet, although it strikes me as interesting that there have been so many deals on the midrange priced cards lately.

Then in November there will hopefully be some pretty sick deals on the rest of your computer's parts around Black Friday.

Spring 2014 will have the next generation Nvidias which will probably trump whatever AMD has out in October.

June 2014 will have DDR4 on sale en masse to consumers, and new Intel processors to support it. The DDR4 is supposed to be considerably faster, but both it and the new CPUs will most likely have high price tags to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom