• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Yes. I see plenty of stress-test utilities, but not much to give me a "your processor did X calculations in Y time" or something similar.

3DMark has a CPU section to their benchmark. You can do apples to apples especially if you are using the same GPU for testing.

NoRéN

Is there any particular reason for all of the SSD deals of late? Good to buy now or wait til black friday and hope for prices to go down?

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;81684977 said:
Is there any particular reason for all of the SSD deals of late? Good to buy now or wait til black friday and hope for prices to go down?
Black Friday has never ever ever delivered.
Yes. I see plenty of stress-test utilities, but not much to give me a "your processor did X calculations in Y time" or something similar.
It doesn't mean very much, and most of those will be straight linear increases. Increase the clock speed by 10%, see a 10% rise in the score. So they've pretty much fallen out of favor.

Tonezorz

It doesn't mean very much, and most of those will be straight linear increases. Increase the clock speed by 10%, see a 10% rise in the score. So they've pretty much fallen out of favor.

Ah, I see. I remember overclocking my socket 939 system and enjoying seeing "results" such as that to "know" it worked.

I suppose it's a silly idea, but I was just curious if it was still a thing. Thanks for the help.

Setsuna

Newegg pls,I don't want to wait till next week for you to complete processing on an order I placed Wednesday morning.

Hell, I even paid for the rush processing. Just send my parts already.

Aint nobody got time for this

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Newegg pls,I don't want to wait till next week for you to complete processing on an order I placed Wednesday morning.

Hell, I even paid for the rush processing. Just send my parts already.

Aint nobody got time for this
Buy from Amazon instead.

mkenyon

Banned
Somehow I didn't know about the Corsair 540 Air; it definitely has my interest. An all aluminum version would be amazing.
My friend bought one and I got to check it out. Nice layout but the case feels cheap, thin bendy steel everywhere. The money isn't going to the build quality for sure. Or maybe Caselabs has spoiled me!
They heard us. Lian Li D600

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Polymath

Neo Member
What kind of coolant is that? Some coolants suck and mess up your blocks, I would suggest straight distilled water to you.

Feser One - UV ACID GREEN.
I'm currently using distilled water. before that i already had this coolant in my loop.
So far i have good experience with it in the past.
I had it for 6 months and it had zero influence to my components (i clean my loop and change tubes every 6 months)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
To start off, the reason I haven't been in this thread for the past half a year or so is because I am incredibly pleased with my PC and haven't had any issues at all, and I have you all to thank for that!

Anyways, I made a post in the B/S/T thread, but I figured I should ask here as well, but does anyone have a 2TB HDD they're looking to sell? I'd like to set up a RAID 1 to keep my photos and music safe from any potential HDD failure.
Also, anything I ought to know about setting up a software RAID 1, or is it as straightforward as it seems?

Snowman

Help please :p I'm really stuck. What's like the cheapest graphics card that will still be able to play every game that's coming out well enough by like next year.

Azulsky

They heard us. Lian Li D600

Oh that is interesting.

They give you ample height for fat rads on the top of the mobo chamber.

They give you room to run hoses over the top I guess which is vital due to the lack of that extra routing column like on the 540

You should have enough room for that triple 140mm on the rear hdd chamber to mount even a alphacool monster in push pull.

You lose depth which just seems like a PITA overall. If you have that on top of your desk you still cant put anything in front of it without blocking fans.

I think I would rather see the PSU in the non-motherboard chamber. I like the M series mounting that still gives floor space back under the PSU. The 540 thread on OCN scares me with all those pumps and res's being mounted ontop the PSU.

The biggest mistep of the 540 and this compared to the Caselabs M series is that only caselabs thought to use the roof of the side chamber for rad mounting. Corsair I guess just didnt do it/didnt have the height to complement a mirrored rad on the mobo chamber, and these guys went for the full 5.25 9 bay cage.

It seems like something obvious in hindsight because you get to make use of an extra level plane.

Azulsky

I'm having trouble choosing between these 2 GPU's, anyone have any input or personal experience with them? I just can't decide.

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Another vote for the 760. The driver reliability that Bobo mentioned is a big deal and Nvidia is constantly on top of them for new releases.

In most bench sites that I have looked at the 760 will pull ahead in some games like BF3 while in some they will be equal and then I only see the 7950 pull ahead in Hitman Absolution.

In Bioshock Infinite the 760 is pretty close( 5%) to even the 7970 Ghz Edition.

Even though you see them benched with 1440p and 1600p i would not spec a 760 for anything other than 1080 or 1200p.

BlazinAm

I now have another problem, when I turn on the power supply and hit the power button on the case(Gigabyte gz-g2 plus ) nothing happens. There is an Led light on the mother board (Asus z87 A) the comes on when powered by it is hard to tell if the power button on the case is properly connected as there seems to be no feasible way to open the front panel of the case.

I'm having trouble choosing between these 2 GPU's, anyone have any input or personal experience with them? I just can't decide.

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB

One thing you might want to consider is the vram if you're playing at higher resolutions.

I went with this very 7950 and thus far have no complaints except the shroud rattles under load somewhat. I remedied it by pinching the shroud a bit with my fingers and it hasn't rattled since.

You can also save the Never Settle coupon and wait until winter and see what new games AMD offers (BF4?).

Azulsky

I now have another problem, when I turn on the power supply and hit the power button on the case(Gigabyte gz-g2 plus ) nothing happens. There is an Led light on the mother board (Asus z87 A) the comes on when powered by it is hard to tell if the power button on the case is properly connected as there seems to be no feasible way to open the front panel of the case.

The power button on the case is connected by a pair of wires that connect to the bottom right edge of the motherboard.(The yellow header).

Make sure stuff is hooked up like on page 1-39 of the manual

http://imgur.com/338rFvh

BlazinAm

The power button on the case is connected by a pair of wires that connect to the bottom right edge of the motherboard.(The yellow header).

Make sure stuff is hooked up like on page 1-39 of the manual

http://imgur.com/338rFvh

Did that already I am wondering if the power button on the case is connected to the wire or something, I also used the pin extension that was provided with my motherboard to hook everything up including the mini speaker.

Tonezorz

Did that already I am wondering if the power button on the case is connected to the wire or something, I also used the pin extension that was provided with my motherboard to hook everything up including the mini speaker.

If you're gutsy and have a steady hand, just use something like a flat edge screwdriver to connect the two pins for the power switch. If the switch broke and everything else is fine it will fire right up. Just... Don't go poking around with the previously mentioned screwdriver elsewhere. ;)

Deitus

When I try to put my video card in the slot, the back plate doesn't line up so I can screw it in. If I line it up right in the back, it won't go all the way in. Am I doing something wrong?

Deitus

a) Keep trying.

b) you're sure you're trying to put it in the correct slot?

Can't see how it would be the wrong slot. There's not any difference between PCI E slots right (not talking about the mini slots)?

Edit: When I snap the connectors in the slot, the bracket in the back, shifts. Am I not supposed to push it in until it snaps in and the plastic claps close like I did for the RAM? Because I could try manually closing the clasps, but it doesn't seem to be in all the way.

diaspora

After looking into upgrading my PC, it'll run my $400 if I move to intel with the i5 3570k + a mobo, but $195 if I stick with AMD by getting just an FX 8350. Intel pls, I'm trying here but...

cyen

After looking into upgrading my PC, it'll run my $400 if I move to intel with the i5 3570k + a mobo, but $195 if I stick with AMD by getting just an FX 8350. Intel pls, I'm trying here but...

Better to get the FX8350 even if its a weak single tread processor, but in multi threaded apps\games its on par or better than the 3570K.

Plus you save 200$ that you can put for a better GPU.

TheD

The Detective
Better to get the FX8350 even if its a weak single tread processor, but in multi threaded apps\games its on par or better than the 3570K.

Plus you save 200$ that you can put for a better GPU.

Only if the program has 8 heavy threads.

Ieu

PC gaffers that are smarter than me, do you think http://dimmdrive.com/ is hocus pocus or do you think it is legit?

The performance bonuses sound legit however all you're going to get is lower load times and have zero texture pop in however I don't think these are real issues that need solving.

Also remember that you have to load the whole game files in to RAM and then the remaining RAM is still needed to, you know, actually run the game!

If you're got buckets of RAM maybe look in to it but otherwise don't bother.

well, its a ramdrive. is it $37 worth of ramdrive? dunno
says it works with steam so........ ??

some quick google links.....
How to Supercharge Your PC With a RAM Disk

RAM drive

Add a RAM Disk to Your Computer for Faster-than-SSD Performance

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk

That makes sense. I've heard of ram drives before, I don't know why I didn't put this together with the product I posted. I agree that it's pricey.

The performance bonuses sound legit however all you're going to get is lower load times and have zero texture pop in however I don't think these are real issues that need solving.

Also remember that you have to load the whole game files in to RAM and then the remaining RAM is still needed to, you know, actually run the game!

If you're got buckets of RAM maybe look in to it but otherwise don't bother.

It's something I was just pondering about. I have 16GB of ram which is overkill for most things. I only really find myself using a lot of it when I'm running virtual machines. I'd probably only get this product if I buy somehting like Ivy Bridge E with 32 or 64GB of ram.

well, its a ramdrive. is it $37 worth of ramdrive? dunno
says it works with steam so........ ??

some quick google links.....
How to Supercharge Your PC With a RAM Disk

RAM drive

Add a RAM Disk to Your Computer for Faster-than-SSD Performance

AMD Radeon™ RAMDisk
REading these links, it sounds like an hassle without much return. I mean, these days you can buy SSDs of reasonable size for a lot less than the same amount of RAM, and the benefits in terms of speed aren't going to be noticeable for most people.
Or am I wrong?

cyen

Only if the program has 8 heavy threads.

thats right, but now with the new gen it will probably be more comom, as most of the professional applications now support multithreading, so he is basically side grading and spending 200$ more.

If he was building an all new machine without an option to reuse parts i would definitly recomend Intel (but haswell core)

diaspora

Since my AM3 board is made for a 125W AM3 CPU (Phenom II 965), I can assume it'll work with the FX 8350 yes? IIRC kkharma saying something along those lines though I've never tested it.

Azulsky

Can't see how it would be the wrong slot. There's not any difference between PCI E slots right (not talking about the mini slots)?

Edit: When I snap the connectors in the slot, the bracket in the back, shifts. Am I not supposed to push it in until it snaps in and the plastic claps close like I did for the RAM? Because I could try manually closing the clasps, but it doesn't seem to be in all the way.

Yes the front little plastic lever on the PCIE slot works like on a ram slot. Once the card is fully depressed into the slot it engages on that front hook. Which doesnt really do shit because the real weight of the card is held by the screws on the back.

You might have to nestle that front hook into the lever before pushing the card into the slot.

Watch this video at 2:40 ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-Jo0F5HFk

See how he gets the front engaged then the back.

Rufus

Since my AM3 board is made for a 125W AM3 CPU (Phenom II 965), I can assume it'll work with the FX 8350 yes? IIRC kkharma saying something along those lines though I've never tested it.
Check the mainboard manufacturer's site, they usually have CPU support lists.

Azulsky

REading these links, it sounds like an hassle without much return. I mean, these days you can buy SSDs of reasonable size for a lot less than the same amount of RAM, and the benefits in terms of speed aren't going to be noticeable for most people.
Or am I wrong?

RAMDisks are big deals for machines that use full virtualization, aka a bare metal hypervisor like HyperV or ESXi. They can then run the guest OS disks in memory.

Why? RAM is going to be an order of magnitude lower latency.

HDD access time to grab something that didnt get paged is up to 15 ms.
SSD access time is roughly 100us(microseconds).
RAM access time is in the single nanoseconds.

You can actually figure out the latter based on the Frequency of your RAM and the CAS Latency, the CLx code. So 1600CL9 RAM(probably most common DDR3) will have

1000/800 * 9 = 11.25ns. (800 = 1600/2)

So in the time it takes to access something from a consumer SSD(SATA) you could have done 9000 RAM disk accesses.

The real benefit is going to be running games that arent very eh.... deterministic, like MMO's where you might get texture pop in at any time if someone loads in.

The big deal these days is that its very expensive to use because a game that would benefit like Planetside is 20GB, so you are looking at getting a full 32GB set of RAM if you want to keep up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom