• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoh

What's the best SSD I can buy for around $100 right now?
I want to use it to install VirtualBox and several VMs in there. I'm thinking 120 GBs would be plenty because I'll be using linked clones to try to cram as many VMs on the disk

kennah

Oh no problem . i just wanted to know what people thought of it but if you only work with proof ill drop it .
Not a huge deal. Just there is always something better coming. Titan has been out for a while now and is not great value since the release of the 780 anyway.

mhayze

Saw that at Computex. Kinda cool, but I can't recommend anything else than a Caselabs these days, not with the S3/S5 being so affordable in comparison.

Full modular baybee! (not my S5)

LL

I didn't know there were rules to this discussion. But you are right, it's not a fair comparison: Horizontal mobo layout > Vertical mobo layout anyday.

Thanks for posting these, I was not familiar with Caselabs. Not sure I agree with you about mATX. Which cases feature a vertical mobo layout?

Hey guys just have a query regarding AMD Radeon GPU's.

Am currently running a 6850, which is fairly sufficient for my gaming needs, but I've been considering updating to the 7000 series since I'm expecting their prices to drop once the new line of AMD chips come out.

Now I admittedly don't have a firm grasp on GPU specs but from the preliminary research I did, a lot of the 7000 series chips weren't that big an upgrade over my 6850 chip. Obviously something like the 7970 would be, but I'm more referring to the mid 7000 series.

I just wanted to know whether I am understanding things correctly or whether I have it totally wrong?

Zaph

This might be a better question for tftcentral, but does anyone here have a recommendation for a small (19/20" max) monitor with good image quality in portrait mode (ideally matching Dell Ultrasharp looks - matte black with a simple design)?

A coworker pointed me towards Dell P1911's, which I've been using for a few years, it's a average cheap TN panel, but in portrait mode the viewing angles and colour reproduction is pretty poor.

Open to any suggestions, even if it means searching ebay for discontinued screens.

It's crazy how many awesome laptop panels never see the light of day for desktop use.

Get your S3 yet?

Yeah had it for a while, trying to fit a monsta rad into it!

Thanks for posting these, I was not familiar with Caselabs. Not sure I agree with you about mATX. Which cases feature a vertical mobo layout?

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the line as they're too big and $$$ for me. The only other one I was looking at was the SM5, that has a vertical mobo layout that's reversible if you prefer your window on the other side. ATX would be the SM8. Check out their website.

Koroviev

Hey guys just have a query regarding AMD Radeon GPU's.

Am currently running a 6850, which is fairly sufficient for my gaming needs, but I've been considering updating to the 7000 series since I'm expecting their prices to drop once the new line of AMD chips come out.

Now I admittedly don't have a firm grasp on GPU specs but from the preliminary research I did, a lot of the 7000 series chips weren't that big an upgrade over my 6850 chip. Obviously something like the 7970 would be, but I'm more referring to the mid 7000 series.

I just wanted to know whether I am understanding things correctly or whether I have it totally wrong?

I have a very lightly used 7950 (purchased in March, I think) that I will probably be looking to sell in a few days. By 'lightly used', I mean that I probably spent under 20 hours playing games with it. Otherwise, it has been idle and it has not been overclocked.

kharma45

PSU died today. Only built the PC 7 days ago. It was a Corsair CX600M so take my advice and avoid this model!

We do try to steer people away from them, they're a fairly hit and miss bunch with a lot of misses. Best to get a full refund, don't accept an RMA or replacement on it.

Mideon

We do try to steer people away from them, they're a fairly hit and miss bunch with a lot of misses. Best to get a full refund, don't accept an RMA or replacement on it.

Have gone for the Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W. Which I'm sure you recommended for me my good sir.

kharma45

Have gone for the Be Quiet Pure Power L8 530W. Which I'm sure you recommended for me my good sir.

I could well have done, I'm a fan of their L8 modular units in the mid-range. They're usually well priced (although they do tend to fluctuate a lot for whatever reason), quiet and the two that I've installed so far into my own PC and my cousin's PC are ticking along nicely.

NeOak

PSU died today. Only built the PC 7 days ago. It was a Corsair CX600M so take my advice and avoid this model!

PC Power and Cooling. Even though OCZ bought them, they are still pretty good IMO.

I have an old 430w from before they were bought. Thing is a tank.

nbthedude

It's slightly over $900, but this should do you for a long time:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $915.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-15 03:37 EDT-0400)

No SSD unfortunately but you could always add one later - I'd also go for Windows 8 for DirectX 11.1/11.2 support. I've not included a keyboard/mouse or speakers as they're usually a choice for you as to which you like for feel/comfort, but if necessary you can get a combo keyboard and mouse for a pittance these days.

That is an really good set up for $900. If he lives around a Microcenter he could probably shave $50-$75 off the price of the motherboard and processor but otherwise a very good box that will run most stuff on the market today at very high end specs and likely be good for long while.

News Bot

Banned
My girlfriend's looking for a laptop that'll be able to run League of Legends well, with a max budget of £300. Anyone know of one?

kennah

My girlfriend's looking for a laptop that'll be able to run League of Legends well, with a max budget of £300. Anyone know of one?
Check the laptop thread in the op.

Anyone in the UK. There is a 3570k complete system for a good deal in the buy sell trade thread

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dunno if anyone can solve this but I figured I'd ask:

Battlefield 3 randomly "flickers" in some servers after playing the game for a while. Looking around it seems to be a driver/graphics card issue? Nvidia hasn't said anything in like 2 months since the drivers they released that was supposed to fix this issue. I've got a GTX 760 but apparently the 700 cards can't downgrade to an earlier driver that would apparently fix the issue.

Halp? I have no clue why the game decides to freak out and make the entire map black with flickering textures at random times.

scogoth

Battlefield 3 randomly "flickers" in some servers after playing the game for a while. Looking around it seems to be a driver/graphics card issue? Nvidia hasn't said anything in like 2 months since the drivers they released that was supposed to fix this issue. I've got a GTX 760 but apparently the 700 cards can't downgrade to an earlier driver that would apparently fix the issue.

Halp? I have no clue why the game decides to freak out and make the entire map black with flickering textures at random times.

Restarting the game seems to help. Happens all the time to me. BF3 is just a really glitchy game at times.

TheSeks

Restarting the game seems to help. Happens all the time to me. BF3 is just a really glitchy game at times.

You mean exiting Origin and restarting the game? Because leaving the server and rejoining (quitting the game basically) seems to not help.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So I installed another SSD (one dedicated for games). I noticed that I installed my other SSD in the 3gb/s slot...

damaph

Is your video card overclocked?

TheSeks

Is your video card overclocked?

No. And before this problem started everything was fine on Ultra. So I dunno if the GPU is being overloaded (a problem one person said), driver update (I do recall Nvidia asking me to update) which was another "solution" that was said to work. Or multi-monitor (which I don't have), or possibly Field of View (I use the default 70 since I moved from console and that's what console uses IIRC).

No other game gives me problems besides BF3. Though I've heard Far Cry 3 (which I plan to get) also has problems with the textures/lighting flickering and the guns changing into weird graphical artifacts on the GTX 700's with the new drivers.

I haven't played singleplayer or co-op for as long as I have multiplayer but AFAIK it's only the multiplayer side that causes this issues. I didn't run into this bug in the like 2-6 hours of playing off and on in co-op for the co-op weapon unlocks.

Joco

What are people's thoughts on waiting for new GPUs? I have roughly $1k to put together a build, could probably go as high as $1,200 but not much more than that. The 7950 I could get for $200 right now and that seems like a great deal, but I know AMD's newest cards are right around the corner and Maxwell is probably only a few months after that. What to do? Note this would also be my first build.

Edit: I'd like it to last me for at least a couple years being able to run games at 1080p, single monitor.

I would at the very least wait for the AMD launch since it's right around the corner. Waiting for Maxwell comes down to how long you're willing to wait.

kennah

Unless you're in a rush you may as well wait the month and see what happens.

Other option - build now with everything but gpu and use the onboard for a month. (Onboards aren't so bad these days)

Had to up my voltage to 1.325 for it to be stable. Just ran 10 passes on Intel Burn Test on maximum on 10 runs. I don't feel like doing prime95. 4670k 4.6 ghz on air is not bad. The max temp reached 80.

Now I need to overclock my MSI 760 gtx.

Damn, not bad at all. I plan on grabbing one and was honestly gonna be happy if I could get 4.2-4.3. Did you replace the TIM? What's your fan setup?

gemoran4

It's slightly over $900, but this should do you for a long time:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($143.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $915.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-15 03:37 EDT-0400)

No SSD unfortunately but you could always add one later - I'd also go for Windows 8 for DirectX 11.1/11.2 support. I've not included a keyboard/mouse or speakers as they're usually a choice for you as to which you like for feel/comfort, but if necessary you can get a combo keyboard and mouse for a pittance these days.

Yeah I'm okay being a bit overbudget, it was more of an arbitrary range of where i thought it would be ideal. Thanks for the help, looks good to me. I'll probably add an SSD down the road if i feel i need/want it but i don't think its a big deal for me right now.

That is an really good set up for $900. If he lives around a Microcenter he could probably shave $50-$75 off the price of the motherboard and processor but otherwise a very good box that will run most stuff on the market today at very high end specs and likely be good for long while.

Unfortunately no microcenter near where i currently live :(

thanks again for the help guys, i appreciate it

Damn, not bad at all. I plan on grabbing one and was honestly gonna be happy if I could get 4.2-4.3. Did you replace the TIM? What's your fan setup?

I did not replace the TIM. I'm using the Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK with the default 540 air case fan setup. Before overclocking my cpu idles at around 27-31c. Right now it idles at 34c and tops out at 80c at full load. The cpu I got is below average I think because it can't boot up on 4.6 ghz with 1.250 volt. It needs 1.325.

Kevin

How many games support 1440p resolutions without hacks? Would I really notice a huge difference between at 24-inch 1080p monitor vs a 27-inch 1440p monitor?

How many games support 1440p resolutions without hacks? Would I really notice a huge difference between at 24-inch 1080p monitor vs a 27-inch 1440p monitor?

Yeah pretty obvious difference. Most games do support 1440p, except some 2d sprite-based titles or poorly coded PC ports, which has hacks.

I have a very lightly used 7950 (purchased in March, I think) that I will probably be looking to sell in a few days. By 'lightly used', I mean that I probably spent under 20 hours playing games with it. Otherwise, it has been idle and it has not been overclocked.

Hi there. Thanks for the offer but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to hold the line with my current GPU for a year or so and then shell out for one of the next line of AMD chips.

The vast majority of games from the last few years support 1440p, I can't remember the last game I had to hack, maybe CnC Generals?

LordAlu

Yeah I'm okay being a bit overbudget, it was more of an arbitrary range of where i thought it would be ideal. Thanks for the help, looks good to me. I'll probably add an SSD down the road if i feel i need/want it but i don't think its a big deal for me right now.

Unfortunately no microcenter near where i currently live :(

thanks again for the help guys, i appreciate it
No problem. I wouldn't mind one that good myself to be honest! Need to replace this 560Ti for Battlefield :)

Kevin

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their help with me choosing a monitor. I decided to go with this monitor:

The Qnix 2710 Korean Monitor.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sora2k7

How good are the Haswell extremes? I just noticed they are out. I want to get the 4930X or whatever.

these are Ivy Bridge not Haswell. they just came out so we can't be sure how good they are yet.

but they are probably better than Haswell
(I got 4770k day one:( )

Blearth

Banned
I bent the pins on my mobo. :(

I sent AsRock an email. I still got a couple of months left on the warranty.

Chances I won't have to shell out full price for a new one?

You can try to bend the pins back, warranty's already void so what's the worst that can happen?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Updated: http://bit.ly/GAFPC2013
LMK any input at all here or via PM. Main thing atm is finding a cheap Haswell board to round out everything.

Will update image and links and some of the OP this week after feedback.
How good are the Haswell extremes? I just noticed they are out. I want to get the 4930X or whatever.
It's Ivy Bridge E and it's eh compared to SB-E. Same crappy jump and these are running warmer than people would really like them too.

Super low. Try to bend them back as said. Not that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom