• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazinAm

My only suggestion would be to, assuming your motherboard has different video-outs, don't use the HDMI to install windows. Grab a monitor and use VGA / DVI and see if the issue continues.

Switched to VGA and it worked thank you all.

Now running the motherboard support disc and after that will connect the new PC to the internet.

Seanspeed

Banned
I really REALLY want a new graphics card for BF4 (my aging 560Ti just isn't cutting it). This is incredibly tempting but I wanna wait and see what AMD have up their sleeves. Gah!
I'm doubtful you'll find anything as powerful as a 7970 in the £200 price range, but I cant blame anybody for wanting to wait at this point.

I couldn't wait at all. I just went ahead and go the 760 GTX. I'll wait for Non-Reference Maxwell Cards and Benchmarks though. That should be over a half a year away.

kennah

Haz was saying some B85 boards cause BSODs if you stick 4 DIMMs in them. Might want to check if this is one of them if you ever plan on doing that.

Want it for benching our minimum build and the "secret project".

Also: Updates to come eventually i'm sure, but....

mkenyonban.png

I think the guy was a great contributor to PC building related threads but man, I don't know what he was thinking with his argument at the end of that thread.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Doesn't seem like a perma to me. Granted he was arguing a point for a point reason and it offended some people. 'Attacks' on posters are usually a short temp ban.

Shambles

Read over his last few posts. Sure his tone got a little aggressive but if he got perma'd for that there's a trigger happy mod out there.

Luigison

Anyone know a way to make MSI Motherboards always use CPU Smart Fan Control. In the bios I only see default, 40c, 50c, etc. Using the Control Center program I can check the box for CPU Smart Fan Control, but don't see how to make it stay check on the next boot. There is Default and Silent text towards the bottom in Control Center, but I can't tell if that are set or do anything.

clashfan

Can I get some recommendations for good systems builders? I haven't built a custom system myself in years and after two decades of being a programmer, my hands are shot. I'm not looking for rock bottom prices, just a trustworthy and reliable company.

Dawg

OK, upgrade advice time. I have a bit of spare money (max €150 maybe) and I want to upgrade something. Unless it isn't worth it :p Ordering the BenQ XL2411T monitor and just looking for other stuff I could order alongside it.

Build:

8GB RAM 1600 MHz
I5-3570K (stock cooler)
Asrock Z77 extreme4
GTX 670FTW
500W PSU PC& Power Cooling
Corsair 550D
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

I was thinking maybe of getting a GTX 770 (add sale value of gtx 670 ftw to budget) but people say I should wait till 8xx line. Some extra power for dat 120hz would be nice though, although I can wait if needed. A new CPU cooler might help too... or a 2.0 audio set since my old set broke and I only use headphones now.

If anyone else has any advice... :p

AlexMogil

Heck with it, I'm going to list my build while I am waiting on my power supply. Any critiques?

Processor: Intel Processor, Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz 6MB 84W, Box
Motherboard: GA-G1.Sniper M5 Gigabyte Tech Motherboard, mATX Z87 Socket1150
RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance Pro 240-pin PC3-17066 2133MHz DDR3 DIMM Kit, Black
Boot Drive: Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
Data Drives: 2x WD 2TB WD Caviar Green SATA 6Gb s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 64MB Cache
Blu: BW-14D1XT Asus BDXL Maximum Data Storage 3D Blu-ray Writer
Video Card: Gigabyte Tech GeForce GTX 770 PCIe Graphics Card, 4GB
Case: Fractal Design Chassis, Arc Midi R2 with Window ATX Micro ATX Mini ITX 8x3.5" Bays 2x5.25" Bays 7xSlots, Black
Power Supply: CP-9020061-NA Corsair 750W Modular Power Supply
Mouse: Logitech G400s Optical Mouse
Headset: Cooler Master Storm Sirus S Surround Sound
Monitor: Asus 27" VG27AH Full HD 3D IPS LED Monitor, Black
Proc Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I've changed my mind and decided to do a little bit of overclocking so I got the Corsair H80i.

I do gaming, virtualziation, and some coding. Should last me a while, right?

I put it together last weekend - and for the first time a pc build went flawless, it powered on with absolutely no problems. Rather surprising, actually.

1440p build for Node 304.
Stock fans on the case and CPU (intel i5-4670). Not looking to overclock.
$1,500 - $1,800 budget.

Is this possible without heat issues?

Is there a significant disparity in picture quality from the cheaper (ex. Crossover) to mid (ex. ASUS, BenQ) models?

I want to settle on the monitor for now. Going to wait for the Valve news and AMD GPU news to hit in the upcoming weeks.

Does the picture quality really present itself if I am just 2-3 feet away from 1440p as opposed to a 120hz 1080p monitor? Take into account the size of the monitor at 24 or 27 inches.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer the help.

nbthedude

does someone have a link to the thread he was banned in?

Probably the post where he argued that incest and homosexuality are the same and he looks forward to RPS holding back coverage to defend incest.

I always liked the guy, or I thought I did. I don't generally consider myself easily offended but I guess it is when a smart person says ignorant bullshit like that it really bothers me. Not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the bann, I was just kind of bummed and shocked to see him posting like that in that thread.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sad. I upgraded to 326.80 drivers finally, and I hadn't seen any black screens in a while, but today while I was just in Windows, no games running, just web browsers/messengers/Steam and a LoL stream and the LoL client, the screen did the normal thing of going black for 2-3 seconds. The monitor as always didn't seem to lose sync.

It's a GTX770, purchased recently. I -suppose- it could possibly be the monitor since that's about 5 years old, but it seems so strange. When this used to happen more often before the driver upgrade, I think I tried looking in system report logs but never saw any nVidia driver errors. Any ideas are welcome.

nbthedude

A buddy of mine is making a build with a Haswell i7 and probably a Radeon 7900 series.

I don't have much experience with OCZ. What do you guys think of this powersupply; it seems like a good deal. But I remember some powersupplise have some weird sleep mode problems with Haswell.

Thoughts? Recommendations for better buys?

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

Edit or one of these two?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you don't mind the rebates I'd go with the CX750M. I haven't seen a real review of it from a good source since Corsair has 50 PSU SKUs, but seems alright.

rafbanaan

I've a problem with my computer. I recently installed a new PSU and it was ok for 2-3 days, but tonight it started up on it's own (I'm not going crazy :p) and shuts down for some time -> I had to manually turn off the power. Now I wanna turn it on.. it booted to a certain point and shuts down. Now it's just booting till the bios check and then it shuts down again.

My first thought is that the PSU is broken?

kharma45

A buddy of mine is making a build with a Haswell i7 and probably a Radeon 7900 series.

I don't have much experience with OCZ. What do you guys think of this powersupply; it seems like a good deal. But I remember some powersupplise have some weird sleep mode problems with Haswell.

Thoughts? Recommendations for better buys?

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

Edit or one of these two?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Rosewill Hive at $60 is good http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Sanjay

I'm sad. I upgraded to 326.80 drivers finally, and I hadn't seen any black screens in a while, but today while I was just in Windows, no games running, just web browsers/messengers/Steam and a LoL stream and the LoL client, the screen did the normal thing of going black for 2-3 seconds. The monitor as always didn't seem to lose sync.

It's a GTX770, purchased recently. I -suppose- it could possibly be the monitor since that's about 5 years old, but it seems so strange. When this used to happen more often before the driver upgrade, I think I tried looking in system report logs but never saw any nVidia driver errors. Any ideas are welcome.

I have a solution, close the LoL stream, delete the URL, now Uninstall LoL and see if the problem happens again.

Blinck

Hey guys, quick question. What's your average idle temperature for the CPU on a hot ( not extremely hot, but like 35ºc) summer's day?

My CPU has been averaging 38-42 ºc on idle. It's a i7 3770k, overclocked to 4.2ghz (from 3.5)

Yesterday playing Guild Wars 2 at night ( it was very hot in my room ) the cpu reached 75-80ºc . I have a 212 heatsink and I never saw it go over 67ºc so I'm kind of worried. Is this normal on a hot summer day or maybe I should replace my thermal paste or something like that?

thanks!

rafbanaan

I've a problem with my computer. I recently installed a new PSU and it was ok for 2-3 days, but tonight it started up on it's own (I'm not going crazy :p) and shuts down for some time -> I had to manually turn off the power. Now I wanna turn it on.. it booted to a certain point and shuts down. Now it's just booting till the bios check and then it shuts down again.

My first thought is that the PSU is broken?

I've put in my old PSU and the same thing :/

It just restarts everytime after some bios checks on the motherboard. And It's not always at the same spot, it diverse.

Im going mental.

Dawg

afaik, rebooting during BIOS is a hardware problem?

Did you install a new SSD/HDD?

Try booting off a CD or an USB or something.

rafbanaan

afaik, rebooting during BIOS is a hardware problem?

Did you install a new SSD/HDD?

Try booting off a CD or an USB or something.

I can't reboot from a CD or USB, since he reboots/shuts down before it.

I first thought it was my PSU, but with my old one, I have the same problem.

Dawg

Can anyone tell me if a Fractal R4 > 550D?

The 550D should be more silent, but I've heard some stuff about "side panel vibrating" etc

I'd like to try out a fractal case some day, just not sure if they're that much better than my current setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom