• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

I've put in my old PSU and the same thing :/

It just restarts everytime after some bios checks on the motherboard. And It's not always at the same spot, it diverse.

Im going mental.
Are you the one that changed case recently? If so it could be that your motherboard is shorting out on the case.

rafbanaan

Are you the one that changed case recently? If so it could be that your motherboard is shorting out on the case.

What Dawg said and yes I'm the guy ^^

It was fine for 2-3 days with zero problems, but since this morning I have this.

If it's shorting, how can I fix that? I just checked everything and don't see it touching anything.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($663.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $1126.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 08:50 EDT-0400)

Ok guys. I am almost done. Decided to not wait any longer. Is my motherboard ok?
- I don't need wifi or bluetooth. It is listed as 4k ready.

CPU recommendation
-I don't plan on overclocking and plan on sticking to stock fans on both case and CPU.

Should I go a different route with the case?
Node 304 perhaps or Bitfenix Prodigy? Only if heat is a concern in Elite 120.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me if a Fractal R4 > 550D?

The 550D should be more silent, but I've heard some stuff about "side panel vibrating" etc

I'd like to try out a fractal case some day, just not sure if they're that much better than my current setup.

The 550d being a bit more expensive if why it isn't recommended as much I think. I liked the one I made a build in though.

Azulsky

Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Ok guys. I am almost done. Decided to not wait any longer. Is my motherboard ok?

CPU recommendation
-I don't plan on overclocking and plan on sticking to stock fans on both case and CPU.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to consider getting the Titan cooler 780 instead of the ACX. It might be more efficient because the latter will just heat up your entire rig if you arent evacuating air at a high rate. The ACX cooler doesnt blow anything outside the case to my knowledge(or what I can feel with my hand anyway).

These are the two EVGA part numbers for the Titan Cooler 780s(Latter one is an SC model and is $10 more)
03G-P4-2781-KR
03G-P4-2783-KR

i5-4670 or i7-4770 would be my CPU recommendation

You might want to consider getting the Titan cooler 780 instead of the ACX. It might be more efficient because the latter will just heat up your entire rig if you arent evacuating air at a high rate. The ACX cooler doesnt blow anything outside the case to my knowledge(or what I can feel with my hand anyway).

These are the two EVGA part numbers for the Titan Cooler 780s(Latter one is an SC model and is $10 more)
03G-P4-2781-KR
03G-P4-2783-KR

i5-4670 or i7-4770 would be my CPU recommendation

Thanks. Sounds good.

I just installed my first Intel CPU since 2002 yesterday, a 3570k i5 and I wonder, are these good idle-temps with a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo?

CVTLcQw.jpg

well near idle temps I guess as I played Super Mario Galaxy five minutes ago :p

Also what are some good settings for the EFI? I currently have it at

Target Fan Speed: Level 4
Target CPU Temp: 50°C

I suppose that's a bit too low? While playing with 3.7ghz Turbo Boost it stayed mostly between 48-50°C though the fan went a bit too loud for my taste at 2300rpm I think, the idle RPM is around 1600 which is fine by me from a noise-level perspective :/

EDIT: While I wrote this the CPU main temp fell to 32°C!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
RIP mkenyon. *some wavy hand gesture with low frame latency*

Azulsky

I just installed my first Intel CPU since 2002 yesterday, a 3570k i5 and I wonder, are these good idle-temps with a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Evo?

CVTLcQw.jpg

well near idle temps I guess as I played Super Mario Galaxy five minutes ago :p

Also what are some good settings for the EFI? I currently have it at

Target Fan Speed: Level 4
Target CPU Temp: 50°C

I suppose that's a bit too low? While playing with 3.7ghz Turbo Boost it stayed mostly between 48-50°C though the fan went a bit too loud for my taste at 2300rpm I think, the idle RPM is around 1600 which is fine by me from a noise-level perspective :/

EDIT: While I wrote this the CPU main temp fell to 32°C!

That looks just fine

I'm waiting to make my final recommendation for my friends PC after the AMD announcement but right now, trying to squeeze as much performance out of $800 I come up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $823.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 10:22 EDT-0400)

CPU recommendation

Thanks in advance.
Node 304 would be my suggestion. Much better airflow concept and fans -> lower temperatures and noise levels. The Elite 120 runs very hot/loud with high-powered components, cramming a 780 in there is asking for trouble IMHO.
If you absolutely need an optical drive, get a Prodigy. Awesome case, great cooling (especially with a 230mm fan as front intake), but not "really" SFF. Here it is next to a CM 690.

Buy this PSU instead of the Antec (which might be too long for the Node and Prodigy): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
$50 after rebate.

Cheaper RAM without stupidly big heatspreaders.

For around $99, both the Samsung 840 EVO and the Sandisk Ultra Plus are preferable to the M4. But it's cheaper so idk.

i5-4670 seems to be the best match. i7 for media work.

I'm waiting to make my final recommendation for my friends PC after the AMD announcement but right now, trying to squeeze as much performance out of $800 I come up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $823.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-21 10:22 EDT-0400)
Holy fuck. I don't know where else you could cut corners on this one. Ridiculous amount of horsepower for $800. Shame there's no SSD in there, if your friend can stretch to $900 for a 840 EVO, it would be a truly amazing rig.

Dawg

Any advice for 2.0 speakers? Didn't really see the option in the OP, unless I missed it.

Currently looking at Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II. Kinda expensive for a 2.0 set but I've heard good things about 'em and they look nice too.

A quiet CPU-cooler is what I'm looking for as well. Not too expensive though, but I'd like to reach 4.0Ghz on my 3570K without too much noise.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Any advice for 2.0 speakers? Didn't really see the option in the OP, unless I missed it.

Currently looking at Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II. Kinda expensive for a 2.0 set but I've heard good things about 'em and they look nice too.

A quiet CPU-cooler is what I'm looking for as well. Not too expensive though, but I'd like to reach 4.0Ghz on my 3570K without too much noise.

i can vouch for these things: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047CTA1C/. you need a lot of space for them though, and they're heavy; the build quality is insane for the price. not that you can really go wrong with a set of t20s/t40s.

as for cooler, it's hard not to just recommend the 212 evo for someone not looking for anything specific. it's the ak47 of coolers.

as for cooler, it's hard not to just recommend the 212 evo for someone not looking for anything specific. it's the ak47 of coolers.
You could also get the cheaper 212 Plus (19,99 AR at newegg) and replace the fan with something a little more low-RPM. A decent cheap PWM fan would be the Arctic F12.
Keep in mind that lower rpm means lower noise but also lower airflow, so don't expect super high overclocks.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ouch. well if you're really big on the idea of something with a more warmth then maybe amazon uk can ship internationally? otherwise, i've spent a lot of time with t20s and am always impressed with what they can do given their size and price, so i doubt t40s will disappoint.

if you're getting a decent pair of speakers, you should really be thinking about throwing a £20 xonar card in there too.

I've been through cheap and expensive sets from Logitech and other brands, currently using a pair of AudioEngine A2s and they're incredible. The amount of volume, and quality at highs, mids and lows is astonishing. I love music on these speakers, so much.

audioengine-a2_4f8646fd4810e.jpg

Xyphie

Just finished my initial build of my new computer using a Node 304. Very happy with that case. Would really recommend anyone using this case to go with one of the Silverstone 140mm modular PSUs with the short cable kit (PP05).

Here's a picture of the inside with everything installed. It's still fairly messy, but much better than if I had used a PSU with non-modular/longer cables.

MybLv04.jpg

I'll sleeve and shorten some of the cables when/if I get time and get some nice 140mm static pressure fans for push/pull (any recommendations? I'd get Noctuas but brown, beige and all that...).

If anyone wants to use a H90 in a Node 304 you'll need to drill new 140mm fan mounts with a ~5mm offset from the current holes otherwise the radiator will hit the backside of your graphics card.

Dawg

ouch. well if you're really big on the idea of something with a more warmth then maybe amazon uk can ship internationally? otherwise, i've spent a lot of time with t20s and am always impressed with what they can do given their size and price, so i doubt t40s will disappoint.

if you're getting a decent pair of speakers, you should really be thinking about throwing a £20 xonar card in there too.

I've been through cheap and expensive sets from Logitech and other brands, currently using a pair of AudioEngine A2s and they're incredible. The amount of volume, and quality at highs, mids and lows is astonishing. I love music on these speakers, so much.

audioengine-a2_4f8646fd4810e.jpg

Oh, amazon does ship international. I just haven't ordered something this big/heavy from them before.

Thing is, I only have around €100 so a sound card will probably be over budget.

Holy fuck. I don't know where else you could cut corners on this one. Ridiculous amount of horsepower for $800. Shame there's no SSD in there, if your friend can stretch to $900 for a 840 EVO, it would be a truly amazing rig.

I could skimp on the Corsair CX500M and shave off $20 but this thread has scared me away from that power supply. An SSD would be a great future upgrade but I'm 100% focused on in game performance with his initial budget.

Anton668

I could skimp on the Corsair CX500M and shave off $20 but this thread has scared me away from that power supply. An SSD would be a great future upgrade but I'm 100% focused on in game performance with his initial budget.

I have a CX500. Bought it in march of '11. still going strong with no probs ever...

Zolf

CPU recommendation

I have an Elite 120, if you aren't planning on overclocking it's OK, although with the stock cooler you're definitely going to hear it when it ramps up (if you want an aftermarket cooler, be careful to calculate the clearance for height and for GPU/RAM slots). I'm using a 7950 in mine, temps are acceptable but I think a 780 might be a bit too much for it to handle (if it's a blower type it could be OK). I'm pretty happy with the 120 so far, it definitely runs on the hot side but within the acceptable range even with a 3570K, Radeon 7950, HDD + SSD.

You may want to check out the Elite 130, it's a new version of the 120 with improved front airflow (open mesh front + redesigned hard drive bay), although I haven't seen many reviews out there (looks like it's setup to work well with water cooling?). With such a high end card, it may make sense to spend a bit more for the Node 304 (or Prodigy if you don't really need a "true" SFF case).

I have a CX500. Bought it in march of '11. still going strong with no probs ever...
I've used a CX430 for a few months that never gave me any problems as well, but the CX series has a reputation for shoddy caps. Better not risk getting a faulty unit and buy Antec if you're looking for a cheap PSU.

Smokey

FYI:

After speaking with some mods Mkenyon's ban has been lowered from a perm to a 2 month vacation. So he'll be back just in time for teh consolez warz

I get two months to champion 1440/1600 and NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT MK

LordAlu

FYI:

After speaking with some mods Mkenyon's ban has been lowered from a perm to a 2 month vacation. So he'll be back just in time for teh consolez warz

Smokey is the god we do not deserve.

kidko

FYI:

Great news for this thread!

Ayo smokaay!!

Which 1440p would you recommend me?

low end like about $300-$400

&

mid tier like about $500-$650

Thanks in advance. And you know this mannnn.

gblues

Banned
Severance pay came. Parts are bought.

Upgrades:

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz => Intel Haswell I5 4670K 3.4Ghz
3 slow HDDs (1 500GB, 2 150GB) => 250GB SSD + 2TB Seagate 6.0Gb/s SATA drive
4GB DDR2 => 8GB DDR3 PC1600
old ASUS m/b with ailing USB ports => BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W Z87 R
Noisy stock AMD CPU cooler => CoolerMaster 212 EVO

My GPU will have to hold out a bit longer (GTX 560), but at least now I can enjoy the i/o boost of the SSD and I'm expecting a good CPU boost from the i5 vs the ancient Phenom II

nbthedude

Pretty sure I already know the answer people will give to this, but what do you guys think think about paying an extra $50 for a GHZ edition 7970 over just a regular OC'd (1000MHZ) one?

I have a buddy that decided he just didn't want to wait for the Wednesday announcement since all his other parts will be there. And frankly I don't blame him that much cause with the tumbling prices, I seriously doubt there will be anything this price bracket that will beat the 7970s bang for buck.

But he is contemplating spending a bit more for the GHZ version. Personally I"m not sure it's worth a $50 premium just o have someone overclock something for you a bit...

Smokey

Ayo smokaay!!

Which 1440p would you recommend me?

low end like about $300-$400

&

mid tier like about $500-$650

Thanks in advance. And you know this mannnn.

On the lower end the Monoprice in the OP would do you well. Or some of the Korean QHD models.For mid range there's the Asus PB278Q. $560. Screen can be rotated in portrait or left alone in it's standard landscape orientation.

Addnan

1440p monitors are way too expensive over here. Would love it if we had those cheap monoprice screen, or could buy Korean screens without buying them from Koreans :p

Revoh

Hey guys, I need some help. I'm trying to build a custom mini-ITX router/firewall using pfSense.
I want to spend at most 200$, this is what I have 'till now:

Mini-Box picoPSU-80 80 watt Output 12 volt Input DC-DC Power Supply
M350 Universal Mini-ITX PC enclosure PicoPSU compatible
Sabrent AD-LCD12 LCD Monitors 12V 6A 72W AC Adapter Power Supply
Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM KHX1333C9D3B1/4G
Gigabyte Intel Celeron 847 1.1 GHz Intel NM70 Mini ITX DDR3 1333 Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo GA-C847N-D

Total: $196.19

For storage I'm going to boot the OS from a 32 GB USB stick.

I don't know if 80w is enough juice to power all of this.

I would like to hear from people who built stuff like this. This is going to be my first mini-ITX build so any input would be appreciated.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Pretty sure I already know the answer people will give to this, but what do you guys think think about paying an extra $50 for a GHZ edition 7970 over just a regular OC'd (1000MHZ) one?

I have a buddy that decided he just didn't want to wait for the Wednesday announcement since all his other parts will be there. And frankly I don't blame him that much cause with the tumbling prices, I seriously doubt there will be anything this price bracket that will beat the 7970s bang for buck.

But he is contemplating spending a bit more for the GHZ version. Personally I"m not sure it's worth a $50 premium just o have someone overclock something for you a bit...

You can do a lot with 7970 or 7950 overclocked so unsure if it's really worth the 50 and this is on a non discounted card. If money is your concern wait out the next few weeks prices are sure to drop a little more with the new hawaii cards.

kennah

If I get this big contract maybe I'll buy a 120Hz monitor in his honour.

Though I think I'd probably be better off with 1440p since high frame rates make me nauseous

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FYI:

All you need is 60Hz.

If I get this big contract maybe I'll buy a 120Hz monitor in his honour.

Though I think I'd probably be better off with 1440p since high frame rates make me nauseous
PC GAF pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom