• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Awesome thank you and everyone else for your help. I want to get the best bang for my buck.

I saw you PM that guy in the B/S/T thread. Unless you got him way down on the price on that 7950 (below $150) then you'd be better off buying new when you factor in the full warranty and the free AMD games, which are slowly being refreshed. SRIV was added recently and BF4 can't be far off. You can save the vouchers up until Dec 31 if you want to wait for a few newer titles to populate it.

I saw you PM that guy in the B/S/T thread. Unless you got him way down on the price on that 7950 (below $150) then you'd be better off buying new when you factor in the full warranty and the free AMD games, which are slowly being refreshed. SRIV was added recently and BF4 can't be far off. You can save the vouchers up until Dec 31 if you want to wait for a few newer titles to populate it.

I haven't asked him on price yet but that was what I was thinking as well. If its not well below then I'll buy new.

Tonezorz

Changed over to the 4670K (so now I have a week old 4330 for sale if anyone is interested!)

Stock cooler at stock settings I could get the temps to hit 85*. Installed a 212 Plus and haven't seen above 65*. (This is even lifting the cooler once to look at the TIM distribution. Stupid I know, but I wanted to be sure I had used enough.) *Also installing that thing was a little crazy. I expected the screw in the center of the clamp to screw down onto the base of the cooler and hold it in place, but I guess not?*

My question is, even pushing the voltage to 1.27 or so, I wasn't able to create temperatures above 70*. I didn't test extensively, but I did run several Intel Burn test runs and Prime 95 for around a half hour. Is my cooler really that efficient? or should my chip be running hotter than that?

Anton668

I have the Gigabyte 7950 and so far, whatever ive thrown at it it just goes, "sure, no problem". mind you single monitor @ 1080p. a its hella quiet and cool!

and honestly as of late, drivers, ive heard of more issues with nvidia as of late than amd. not saying amd is better than, just saying the "myth" of amd drivers sucking nowadays is a thing of the past which only uninformed ppl or fanboys still perpetrate. the one main thing nvidia has over amd is when you get into multi card setups. but even then, amd has gotten much better

kn1ves24

I was literally in your exact same position, upgraded a 300GB VelociRaptor to 500GB Samsung 840 EVO. The answer is hell yes. Even with only SATA2 ports, the difference is staggering. Windows loads in less than 5 seconds, games that used to take forever to load are up and running almost instantly. It's amazing.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info guys. Now I need to hunt down a good deal on a SSD drive...

I have the Gigabyte 7950 and so far, whatever ive thrown at it it just goes, "sure, no problem". mind you single monitor @ 1080p. a its hella quiet and cool!

and honestly as of late, drivers, ive heard of more issues with nvidia as of late than amd. not saying amd is better than, just saying the "myth" of amd drivers sucking nowadays is a thing of the past which only uninformed ppl or fanboys still perpetrate. the one main thing nvidia has over amd is when you get into multi card setups. but even then, amd has gotten much better

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you very much. WIth that 7950 being $50 less and still being roughly the same as the 760 I think thats what I'm going to go for. Right now the new machine sits at $1000.

BlazinAm

Running into a weird issue when I install Windows 8, the logo and loading icon will pop up and then my TV set will lose the HDMI signal.

Pakkidis

Going to be getting a new PC next month it will be my first build. The only thing Im not sure on is connecting the case fans and the fan controller. So far its been pretty confusing. I understand you can either plug the fans into the motherboard or in the fan controller and then connect the fan controller to the power supply.

Anton668

Going to be getting a new PC next month it will be my first build. The only thing Im not sure on is connecting the case fans and the fan controller. So far its been pretty confusing. I understand you can either plug the fans into the motherboard or in the fan controller and then connect the fan controller to the power supply.

for the most part is really simple. the MB even labels which fans plug where. and as far as a controller, if its really a problem for you, tell us what you have and we can pretty much walk you through step by step if need be.

ISOM

Guys I'm looking for a monitor in the 22in to 24in area that has 1080p and is compatible to play your ps3 on. My price range is about 120-200. Do you guys have any recommendations for great monitors in that price and spec range?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a second monitor to purchase around Christmas time for mainly code/twitter feed. I noticed the Dell in the OP is the cheapest one that can rotate ninety degrees (aka portrait) but is there another one you guys would recommend at a lower price? Again, I'm not looking to game or even watch movies on it, mainly just browser/terminal stuff.

mkenyon

Banned
Any monitor with VESA mounts will do, though IPS is much better in portrait. So, look for an IPS monitor with VESA mounts and get an aftermarket stand. Compare prices at that point.

Timan

Developer
Well got the parts for the new build, had everything up and running on the first power on. Was perfect.

Then went to put in the old hdd that had all the data on it. And some reason it wouldn't detect, well turns out that drive some how got messed up. Can't get it to work in any machine/device I put it in.

And to make matters worse, the computer wouldn't power on. Psu just won't turn on, tried the jumpstart trick (its a seasonic 750w) no luck as well. So now to do the rma and wait 2 weeks of hell to get a replacement.

Rollercoaster of a build. :(

Addnan

ASUS 7970

£233, free shipping.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-273-AS

Another ridiculous deal. Its a pre-order(not expected in til the 23rd), but still impossible to pass up on if you're in the market for a graphics card.

And comes with AMD Golden Ticket(3 free games) to boot.

Damn. I will not crossfire, I will not crossfire. Crossfire sucks, I will not. I get paid next week, I hope this deal is not around.

flattie

ASUS 7970

£233, free shipping.

Another ridiculous deal. Its a pre-order(not expected in til the 23rd), but still impossible to pass up on if you're in the market for a graphics card.

It seems there are some nice prices for reasonably powered GPUs going around at the moment. I recently picked up a factory overclocked Zotac GTX 670 for £170 from Novatech, which I thought was pretty good value. Doesn't feel as premium as the Asus variant, but it runs quiet and cool and seems to match it in performance.

It seems there are some nice prices for reasonably powered GPUs going around at the moment. I recently picked up a factory overclocked Zotac GTX 670 for £170 from Novatech, which I thought was pretty good value. Doesn't feel as premium as the Asus variant, but it runs quiet and cool and seems to match it in performance.

Some shops in italy got that model for like 205 euros too...maybe I should stop only looking at amazon for prices

NeOak

So I'm thinking of replacing the cheap Thermaltaka case.

What is the consensus on a Thermaltake Level 10 GT? Its 220 + tax at Microcenter atm.

Or are there others that could be recommended?

kennah

What is the consensus on a Thermaltake Level 10 GT? Its 220 + tax at Microcenter atm.

The common amazing suggestion is the Fractal R4.

Do none of the ones in the OP look interesting?

Cases are a very personal choice, your best bet would be to go into a computer store and actually get hands on with a few of them until you find something you like.

Addnan

Depends what you want, if you want something like that guessing you don't want the more recommended stuff in here like R4 or Arc Midi.

7tjNbvC.jpg

You won't find anything else that looks like that, pretty sure.

NeOak

The common amazing suggestion is the Fractal R4.

Do none of the ones in the OP look interesting?

Cases are a very personal choice, your best bet would be to go into a computer store and actually get hands on with a few of them until you find something you like.

I saw them, but I'm more interested in the Level 10 GT, so I ask if there are bad experiences or anything with it.

I guess I can go after work and spend a while checking.

BlazinAm

Ran into this issue during the windows install process where I lose video signal when it is "getting devices ready", The only devices connected to the computer right now are the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the usb drive that has the windows 8 iso on it.

I am really at a lost as to what to do. I also have the motherboard drivers on a another usb stick ready to install so if is a driver issues I don't really know how I could install them when there isn't an OS.

Tonezorz

Ran into this issue during the windows install process where I lose video signal when it is "getting devices ready", The only devices connected to the computer right now are the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the usb drive that has the windows 8 iso on it.

I am really at a lost as to what to do. I also have the motherboard drivers on a another usb stick ready to install so if is a driver issues I don't really know how I could install them when there isn't an OS.

My only suggestion would be to, assuming your motherboard has different video-outs, don't use the HDMI to install windows. Grab a monitor and use VGA / DVI and see if the issue continues.

Arksy

Hey guys;

I'm thinking about replacing my 6950 1gb (powering 2x 24" 1080p screens). Should I grab a 7970 3gb for about 300 (local AUD) or wait for the 9970 or similar? (When is it supposed to come, and how much?) I'm open to suggestions for anything, including no upgrade at all. I'm considering the upgrade only on the basis that I'm thinking about upgrading one of my monitors to a QHD 30" and that battlefield 4 is coming out.

Hey guys;

I'm thinking about replacing my 6950 1gb (powering 2x 24" 1080p screens). Should I grab a 7970 3gb for about 300 (local AUD) or wait for the 9970 or similar? (When is it supposed to come, and how much?) I'm open to suggestions for anything, including no upgrade at all. I'm considering the upgrade only on the basis that I'm thinking about upgrading one of my monitors to a QHD 30" and that battlefield 4 is coming out.
wait for the 25th, then decide

Zeth

Quick question: I built my PC earlier this year thanks to this thread, it's been great. Recently got a Sennheiser headset, and the mic volume output is really weak. Will a basic dedicated sound card improve mic quality? I've tried front and back audio inputs, both are really weak, requiring 10-20db gain boost for intelligibility.

I'm using an Asus p8z77-v lk if that matters. Hoping I can spend $50 on a decent card to amplify the signal.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quick question: I built my PC earlier this year thanks to this thread, it's been great. Recently got a Sennheiser headset, and the mic volume output is really weak. Will a basic dedicated sound card improve mic quality? I've tried front and back audio inputs, both are really weak, requiring 10-20db gain boost for intelligibility.

I'm using an Asus p8z77-v lk if that matters. Hoping I can spend $50 on a decent card to amplify the signal.
An ASUS DG or DGX is exactly what you want for the volume. For quality it goes hand in hand a little bit (Lower boost needed = better). Also the DGX is not better so if you have a PCI slot get the cheaper DG. DGX if you want to carry it across more recent systems.

I'd try a sound card and if it's not what is needed, then grab a mic from the OP.
Guys whats a good mobo to get for around £150 for a Haswell Intel Core i5-4670K cpu.
OP. More info you give, the better help you'll receive.
Well got the parts for the new build, had everything up and running on the first power on. Was perfect.

Then went to put in the old hdd that had all the data on it. And some reason it wouldn't detect, well turns out that drive some how got messed up. Can't get it to work in any machine/device I put it in.

And to make matters worse, the computer wouldn't power on. Psu just won't turn on, tried the jumpstart trick (its a seasonic 750w) no luck as well. So now to do the rma and wait 2 weeks of hell to get a replacement.

Rollercoaster of a build. :(
Damn that sucks. I've had this happen once or twice at work where a part will just take a system with it. Do you have a USB enclosure to try it with instead of a direct connection?

So you'll buy a cheap Thermaltake case that costs a lot of money? Hohohoho

Nothing looks like it and I haven't heard of anything especially bad about it so go for it if you want. I'm partial to the $60-$120 cases out now that are very nice to work in.

LordAlu

I have an Asus P8Z77-V, and whilst I hadn't noticed any issues myself I bought a sound card anyway - the Asus Xonar DG. Fantastic little card and it has a built-in headphone amp too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-sound-card-xonardg

Edit: Beaten :p

ASUS 7970

£233, free shipping.

I really REALLY want a new graphics card for BF4 (my aging 560Ti just isn't cutting it). This is incredibly tempting but I wanna wait and see what AMD have up their sleeves. Gah!

Anton668

my buddy bought one of them not long ago. he like it and far as I know has no complaints.

and yes, its deff different

eta: just double checked with him...
i have no complants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom