• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

PC GAF pls

battle lines are forming and my side grows stronger!

What happened to that cheap, overclockable 1440p monitor that did 120Hz+?

If I remember correctly they stopped making them? The panels that were capable of doing those also ran a high risk of burning out.

You people and your 1440p.

Higher resolution. Great colors with the IPS panel. Usually found in the 27''+ range too. I find those screen sizes bring a more immersive experience. I'm mostly giving my invisible friend Mkenyon a hard time. 120hz is legit and amazing. I just lean towards resolution and colors.

Once I go with my next GPU update next year, I have to make that call. I currently have a 24" 1920x1080 IPS display and I've always been nervous to go higher because you lock yourself into that resolution but lately I've had plenty of performance to downsample anyway. 120/144 Hz seems a little more flexible since you don't have to always have to hit that framerate but it's hard to know how much I'll appreciate the increased framerate especially now that I'm accustom to my IPS picture quality.

kennah

I run 1680x1050 at 60hz. On a shitty old monitor with terrible viewing angles and bad colour.

When not on there I run 1366x768 on an amazing tv with great viewing angles and colour.

Not that I ever have time to game anyway.

Luigison

Anyone know a way to make MSI Motherboards always use CPU Smart Fan Control. In the bios I only see default, 40c, 50c, etc. Using the Control Center program I can check the box for CPU Smart Fan Control, but don't see how to make it stay check on the next boot. There is Default and Silent text towards the bottom in Control Center, but I can't tell if that are set or do anything.

Anyone? I can't understand why MSI doesn't offer a smart fan control in bios. I have noticed that the Control Center has faint yellow when default or silent if clicked, but I can't tell any difference when I click them.

I think some funny stuff is happening with my PC.

Heres my specs:

Gtx 770 w/ 2 gigs of ram

8 gigs of general purpose ram

core I 5 4570 running at 3.2 ghz

Im getting like 20 frames in games like Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Im also getting like 7 fps in crysis 3 when the benchmarks are telling me I should be getting 30. Whenever I use geforce experience it tells me to max out metro, however that gives me like 4 fps. All of the benchmarks I've reviewed have said I should be able to run these games at way more than what Im getting. Im I just not understanding something?

Lucid07

So, thinking its time for a little upgrade on my PC (Possibly a big upgrade)

Mobo: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 >> Asus Maximus VI HERO Z87 Socket 1150
CPU: i5 2500k >> Intel Core i5 4670K

GPU: 2GB 680
RAM: G.Skill 8GB >> 16GB
SSD: Samsung 256GB 840 Pro
HDD: 1TB HDD
PSU: AX850

Is it worth it?

Dawg

Use a GPU monitoring program such as MSI afterburner.

Look at the values of your card when you're playing a game. It sounds like a faulty gpu, but there are multiple things that can cause this.

kennah

Is it worth it?
You would see no difference in performance. Seriously.

M3z_

Is it worth it?

No way, the 2500K and 4670k are not that different, and you would have to change motherboards just to do it, completely superfluous upgrade.

What do you want to upgrade for? What aren't you getting the performance you want from?

If you want more CPU power upgrade to a 2700k/3770K. You will get more power than a 4670k and will end up saving money because you won't need a new motherboard.

If you want more graphics power wait until the new AMD cards come out then pick between a 780 and the high end card from AMD.

If you just have some spare money you thought you might throw at your rig think about getting a nicer monitor or computer chair or something.

Is it worth it?

Nope imho.

Overclock your stuff instead while you wait

Okay guys give me a crash course in gpu usage with MSI afterburner.

What is core clock (MHZ) What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower that slider?

What is memory clock(MhZ) What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower its slider?

What is Core Voltage (mV)? What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower its slider?

How hot should my gpu be?

Can I tear this thing by playing with these sliders?

What levels should they be at?

BlazinAm

Would connecting multiple fans to a single fan port on the motherboard cause a short even though each fan is getting power from the power supply?

I just disconnected them form the motherboard and they work because they get power and all so it isn't a big deal.

I would think that is safe, though I dont imagine it getting that hot outside of trying via benchmark programs.

Alright, well when playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Dolphin emulator my fan tried quite hard to keep it at 49°C so I wanted to give it a little room for not getting as loud :/

Like a splinter of the mind, it's driving me crazy. I read somewhere that there's a new model of a, I believe one of the Korean 1440p monitors, that potentially fixed issues of its predecessor. I want to say it was a Crossover,, X-Star or Qnix but I can't remember which of the three -- maybe Crossover?

Anyone know?

I find myself itching quite badly to pick up a 1440p display, but the input lag on IPS makes me iffy, as my main purpose would be gaming with coding and design work secondary (but still big.) Would a PLS monitor be a better compromise?

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the spread of options available.

hemtae

What is core clock (MHZ) What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower that slider?

What is memory clock(MhZ) What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower its slider?

What is Core Voltage (mV)? What does it control? What happens when I raise and lower its slider?

This should answer your first two questions

You can overclock your stuff higher if you increase the voltage, but with an increase in voltage things get hotter and your parts can handle only so many volts before something bad happens.

Your manufacturer should have numbers somewhere regarding how hot your GPU can be.

Probably and hell if I know for the last two questions.

Like a splinter of the mind, it's driving me crazy. I read somewhere that there's a new model of a, I believe one of the Korean 1440p monitors, that potentially fixed issues of its predecessor. I want to say it was a Crossover,, X-Star or Qnix but I can't remember which of the three -- maybe Crossover?

Anyone know?

I find myself itching quite badly to pick up a 1440p display, but the input lag on IPS makes me iffy, as my main purpose would be gaming with coding and design work secondary (but still big.) Would a PLS monitor be a better compromise?

The thread in the OT says something like that about a crossover tune.

I'm still learning myself, but it should depend on your card. My MSi Gaming 760 GTX throttles after temps go above 80c or the driver just crashes. It's a safety measure to prevent damage to the card.

I know Core clock is linked to the shader clock in Nvidia cards. Increasing this should increase the overall graphical performance of the card. Upping it too much and it would cause instability or graphical glitches.

Memory clock is the GDDR5 clock on the card I think. Increasing it will increase the total bandwidth. It also makes the ram portion of the card run hotter.

Voltage is how much power the card will utilize. Increasing it would stabilize the card at higher overclocks, but too much and it'll fry the card or increase the temperatures to a dangerous level.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning about overclocking.

TwistedMind

Neo Member
Finally replaced my aging 4850 with GTX660 OC..and the nvidia control panel seems inferior in some areas to amd cc.I can't for the life of me find the limited or full rgb settings since my TV doesn't support the full rgb so the blacks levels while gaming looks crushed .
also on amd cc i used to make profiles and switch between them with hot-keys like making the TV primary display so i can lunch games ,I can't find anything here.

Smokey

Anyone know?

What type of games do you play

tarheel91

I'd get 120hz until 4k doesn't require like quad Titans to run fairly decently.

That test that said you needed those was running a cutting edge game with something like 4X MSAA. That's an effective resolution of 8K. That's complete overkill. The thing was almost entirely bandwidth limited.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was going to start putting away money for a new PC in the next year, what time of year are parts normally the cheapest?

Loto

Hello,

This is the PC I was planning on building this week. I am open to any input. The only parts I have are the memory and video card. I want to game at 1080P. I don't know much about power supplies and cases. I just picked from the OP. Is the case big enough for everything?

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)

Thank you

BlazinAm

Why should we look at a thread thats been discredited at overclock.net multiple times. There is no way all these point can be true

512 bus
80% improvement over 7970
10-15% faster then Titan
Sub 600$ pricepoint
Lower Power Draw then Titan

I wonder if they can release a $300 model with less power this holiday.

Blizzard

Banned
I have a solution, close the LoL stream, delete the URL, now Uninstall LoL and see if the problem happens again.
I realize you're probably joking or making fun, but I don't think it's due to that, since it seems to happen regardless of game, application, driver version, or situation. I am wondering if I got a second monitor if it might help, since that way I could see if only one DVI output is dropping out or both.

It's frustrating since no one seems to have any ideas about it, and the only resource I have found is a 4-page thread about 2 second black screens or similar problems on GTX 770's...but with an error or a sleep/resume association I don't have.

Addnan

One Titan and I'm able to run at 4K. Played TR at 4K with all of the bells and whistles on just fine.

The reason people think quad SLI is needed is because a lot of the games that are used in benchmarks use 4xSSAA or some other form of AA that is crazy demanding in ultra settings. SSAA + 4K is just stupidity.

Ok this is more Hackintosh question but can someone help me out?

I don't know what happened but all of a sudden CUDA stopped working on my Hackintosh.

I have a MSI GTX 670 and am using CS6. Everything was going fine, I used the instructions from this website

http://www.vidmuze.com/how-to-enable-gpu-cuda-in-adobe-cs6-for-mac/

Then all of a sudden. One day I get a notification when I pull up a saved file saying that the CUDA isn't there. I had no idea what I did. My computer was offline so no updates happened.

I did GPU sniffer on terminal and the card is in the list...

hanss-mac-pro:~ hansvelas$ /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer
--- OpenGL Info ---
2013-09-21 19:50:33.067 GPUSniffer[309:707] invalid drawable
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.1.0
GLSL Version: 1.20
Monitors: 1
Monitor 0 properties -
Size: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
Max texture size: 16384
Supports non-power of two: 1
Shaders 444: 1
Shaders 422: 1
Shaders 420: 1

--- GPU Computation Info ---
Found 1 devices supporting GPU computation.
OpenCL Device 0 -
Name: GeForce GTX 670
Capability: 1.2
Driver: 1.1
Total Video Memory: 2048MB
Not chosen because it did not match the named list of cards
hanss-mac-pro:~ hansvelas$ sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt
Password:

hanss-mac-pro:~ hansvelas$

Does anyone know whats up? I tried updating the CUDA preferences but nothing...

Quick tutorial just for you (god damn am I procrastinating here!). At least, this is how I do it:

Increase the core clock in steps of 25 MHz, then run a Benchmark program like Unigine Heaven or Valley (I use Valley because it's prettier) at max settings to test stability.
If your GPU makes it through the benchmark, make a mental note of the score, raise the core clock by another 25 MHz and run Heaven/Valley again. Repeat.
Sooner or later, one of three things will happen: You'll either get artifacts, your computer will crash, or the benchmark score will no longer rise or even drop because the GPU throttles.

This is the point where you either dial back your overclock to the last stable value and move on to the memory clock, or increase the core voltage. Overvolting is risky and can damage your card, but google for opinions as to what would be relatively safe values for your GPU model and decide if it's worth it for you. A mild overvolting can get you some extra MHz without radically shortening your GPU's life span.

Whatever you do, once you reach a stable value for the core clock, move on to the memory clock. Same procedure: raise by 25 MHz, run Heaven/Valley, mental note of score, repeat, etc.

Keep an eye on the GPU temps while benching. Generally speaking, under 80°C is what you should be aiming for. If you can live with the noise, you can play around with the fan speed or set up a more aggressive custom fan curve in Afterburner to keep your card cooler.

A stable overclock in Unigine might not be stable under "real life" conditions, so once you have your final overclock, do some gaming. I use Witcher 2 for my final real-life test because I've found it's really picky, but other demanding games like Battlefield 3 or Crysis 3 will work as well. If the games crash, dial back your overclock in little steps (like 10 MHz) until they don't. Done.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
If you're not doing media work, the i7 is a waste. Get an i5-3570K instead.

Also, add a Cooler Master 212 EVO heatsink for overclocking.

If you can wait a little, wait for the AMD 7XXX series prices to drop. As it stands now, the 7970 GHz Edition is roughly comparable to the 770 and a hundred dollars cheaper. (Also: free games!) Will probably get even cheaper in the next weeks when the R9 cards release.

The Seasonic G 550 is the better choice for a PSU.

The Define R4 is a great case with room to spare. Don't worry.

Heaven benchmark is much more stressful on the card than Valley. On the MSI 760 GTX my top oc was 113/400 for Heaven. For Valley it was 550/800. I could have pushed the memory clock higher but that'll be stupid. I might dial it back to not wear out the ram modules on the card.

Heaven benchmark is much more stressful on the card than Valley. On the MSI 760 GTX my top oc was 113/400 for Heaven. For Valley it was 550/800. I could have pushed the memory clock higher but that'll be stupid. I might dial it back to not wear out the ram modules on the card.
Weird. Never seen such a huge difference in benchmark results between those two programs and my Valley results were always very close to the real life testing. But yeah, use Heaven then.

Manik

Just looking for a bit of advice - I currently have an Nvidia GTX295 and have had it since I first built my PC (around 4 years ago), however it has been continuously cutting out on me (black screens - signal lost) unless I underclock it a fairly significant amount.

I'm probably going to build a whole new PC, but that won't be until some time next year, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced replacement in the meantime (Nvidia or AMD, not that fussed) with at least a comparable performance to what I'm getting at the minute.

I've looked at just doing a like for like swap, but the GTX295 either isn't sold, or is much higher than I wanted to pay for a year-long stand-in card. Surely there's something for a bargain price, but good performance that's come out in the last 4 years! Any suggestions?

Heaven is pretty weird for me since it crashes if my core clock is too high, though that core clock ran valley perfectly.

Well the thing is I ran both at max ultra settings. Perhaps I shouldn't have for Heaven.

Just looking for a bit of advice - I currently have an Nvidia GTX295 and have had it since I first built my PC (around 4 years ago), however it has been continuously cutting out on me (black screens - signal lost) unless I underclock it a fairly significant amount.

I'm probably going to build a whole new PC, but that won't be until some time next year, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced replacement in the meantime (Nvidia or AMD, not that fussed) with at least a comparable performance to what I'm getting at the minute.

I've looked at just doing a like for like swap, but the GTX295 either isn't sold, or is much higher than I wanted to pay for a year-long stand-in card. Surely there's something for a bargain price, but good performance that's come out in the last 4 years! Any suggestions?
HD7850 is always a good idea. What's your budget? Would you consider buying used? If you only plan to use the GPU for a few months, you could severely cut your losses buy buying it used and re-selling it when you get a new card.

Reckoner

http://i.imgur.com/xMHQMwc.png

I mixed some stuff of the OP. What do you guys think of this build?

Also, I'm thinking on getting an Asus Maximus VI Hero as motherboard and a single 8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram so I can upgrade later to 16gb easily. I'm reaching the budget's limit, so I'll just be using an 160gb HDD I already have along with the SSD on my build.

One Titan and I'm able to run at 4K. Played TR at 4K with all of the bells and whistles on just fine.

Fair enough. I still think it will be about 2 years for me. I'd like to see more and better 4k monitors come out. Even One Titan is still out of my league at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom