• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

GTA IV really liked a strong CPU, AssCreed probably won't care as much. I'd overclock your current CPU as much as possible and grab a 7950 at $200. Then you can swap over to a 3570K/4670K and a $100-$120 Z series motherboard to overclock if it's not enough oomph for you.

The i5/7950 combo sounds perfect for me. And just to double check, i won't need a new PSU?

Lum1n3s

My question for y'all PC Gaffers is what video card would y'all recommend? I'm thinking of doing a possible Crossfire/SLI setup. What are the benefits and cons to this? What are somethings that I should know? Would I just be better off with just one video card instead of two? And my biggest question, is a a Titan worth it?

Dawg

Take your pick. They are both quiet, ACX probably a little bit more quiet. The windforce runs cooler. I have the windforce, can't say I ever hear the thing.

You have a GTX 770 120hz setup, right? Or was it SLI? Or am I confusing you with someone else :p

rafbanaan

I just took out my motherboard out of the case for one final test (before I returned it for warranty). I just connected the 24pin and 8pin CPU connector and no GPU/HDD... attached. It didn't rebooted or shuts down :/

Seems to work perfectly.. so I guess it was indeed a shortage after all with my case, but how can I prevent this now when I put it all back in the case? :/

Edit: Also connected the GPU and SSD on it. Doesn't restart of shutdown.

kennah

I just took out my motherboard out of the case for one final test (before I returned it for warranty). I just connected the 24pin and 8pin CPU connector and no GPU/HDD... attached. It didn't rebooted or shuts down :/

Seems to work perfectly.. so I guess it was indeed a shortage after all with my case, but how can I prevent this now when I put it all back in the case? :/

Take a picture of your case without the motherboard in it. Post here.

Hmm I looked a few pages back but found nothing, what exactly is your problem? Does your computer turn on, displays nothing, turns off and then turns on by itself again over and over and over? If so it's most likely not a shortage but the RAM! I had a similar problem a few days ago and pulled my hair out over it :/ Try to use only one RAM stick and try every RAM slot to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I just saw your post on page 206, yeah alright that does sound like shorting in your case :(

Azulsky

So my new H100i liquid cooler is coming in this week, replacing the defective one that I got. My question is, is it worth getting non stock fans? If so, any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RESGD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good?

You want the SP series.

Fans are rated either for high CFM or Static Pressure

AF series wont push much air through obstructions(rad fins) because they dont have a high enough pressure.

So they have the SP series which lose the CFM battle in open situations(like in case mounting) but do much better than AF when rad mounted because they generate a higher pressure gradient due to the blade geometry.

Grab the quiet editions imo. The extremes dont cool much more and they are waaay louder.

I have 4 SP120 Quiets on my H100i and the computer is insanely quiet and stays cool. I dont get above 50C unless I run a artificial benchmark. 45C transcoding media. And I have yet to delid

rafbanaan

You have an extra motherboard standoff right next to the PCI slot covers in the top middle of the first pic. Take that out. Everything will work fine :p

Make sure there are no extra standoff touching the back if your motherboard. The first row looks like there is 4. Most motherboards only have 3 holes.

Hmm, on the bottom I have three holes in my motherboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme4) and one on the top (not on the picture).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29052371/Photo 23-09-13 23 25 08.jpg

I am just wondering if it is safe to turn off the PSU switch while I am away or asleep? I have been doing this (and also unplugging the surger protector from the wall) for the last few weeks since I have had a unusually high amount of blackouts this last month in my area. It would not cause any damage to the PSU or motherboard if I do this like once or twice day?

Azulsky

I am just wondering if it is safe to turn off the PSU switch while I am away or asleep? I have been doing this (and also unplugging the surger protector from the wall) for the last few weeks since I have had a unusually high amount of blackouts this last month in my area. It would not cause any damage to the PSU or motherboard if I do this like once or twice day?

No its a totally safe practice, as long as you are shutting down properly before doing so.

For those doing the same with regard to lightning remember to unplug your ethernet as well as any coax as they can get zapped too.

Consdering building a PC for the living room.

Since my bedroom is by the living room I'm considering putting the PC in the bedroom and drilling a hole for the HDMI to the living room TV. Would a wireless mouse/keyboard/controller signal travel through the wall? The purpose is to conceal the PC case.

No its a totally safe practice, as long as you are shutting down properly before doing so.

For those doing the same with regard to lightning remember to unplug your ethernet as well as any coax as they can get zapped too.

Thanks. I do shut it down through Windows 8 prior to flipping the switch and pulling the plug.

You want the SP series.

Fans are rated either for high CFM or Static Pressure

AF series wont push much air through obstructions(rad fins) because they dont have a high enough pressure.

So they have the SP series which lose the CFM battle in open situations(like in case mounting) but do much better than AF when rad mounted because they generate a higher pressure gradient due to the blade geometry.

Grab the quiet editions imo. The extremes dont cool much more and they are waaay louder.

I have 4 SP120 Quiets on my H100i and the computer is insanely quiet and stays cool. I dont get above 50C unless I run a artificial benchmark. 45C transcoding media. And I have yet to delid

Sounds good man. I will get the SP Quiet and run it with the H100i. Love it.

sn00zer

Best gaming laptop for under $900? Need an answer kinda fast....person will use it for primarily school, but wants to build a nice steam library.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nah. If you got a super amazing PSU it'll just eat blackouts though. My HX520 probably had taken at least 10 for my PC. (Don't rely on this)

Anyone have any experience with the Roccat XDT?

http://www.roccat.org/Products/#crb_1

Shit's speakin to me. Feelin froggy, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be with their Easy Shift technology. I guess I'm not completely clear how it works. Reviews are all very favorable, but I'd take a GAF recommendation over a site of questionable reputation every day.

rafbanaan

Took the middle one away and I've put it back together with the middle bay also removed. It started up like a charm *o*

I hope it was the middle one that caused the problems so I wont experience this again in the near future :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone have any experience with the Roccat XDT?

http://www.roccat.org/Products/#crb_1

Shit's speakin to me. Feelin froggy, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be with their Easy Shift technology. I guess I'm not completely clear how it works. Reviews are all very favorable, but I'd take a GAF recommendation over a site of questionable reputation every day.
What do you actually need in a mouse? It has an Avago ADNS-9800 which is p. good (one of the only ones that offers stupid high DPI), does have some slight accel.

DPI wars are worthless, main thing is if it fits your hand right and if it's the right weight for you with enough buttons. That looks heavy to me. If you used Roccat in the past, you'll probably be right at home.

What do you actually need in a mouse?

6 or more really workable, accessible buttons and comfort is about all.

I have a G700 as my primary mouse and it's been fantastic for the last few years, but now one of the buttons has stopped working. I was considering a straight replacement with a G700s or perhaps a G600 now that they've finally fixed its glitchy firmware.

In my travels, I came across the Roccat which looks pretty and seems very highly regarded. I looked at the SteelSeries mice again but the buttons on the right side never did it for me and never will, so not enough buttons for my personal needs. I'm staying away from Razer products based on reputation.

Azulsky

6 or more really workable, accessible buttons and comfort is about all.

I have a G700 as my primary mouse and it's been fantastic for the last few years, but now one of the buttons has stopped working. I was considering a straight replacement with a G700s or perhaps a G600 now that they've finally fixed its glitchy firmware.

In my travels, I came across the Roccat which looks pretty and seems very highly regarded. I looked at the SteelSeries mice again but the buttons on the right side never did it for me and never will, so not enough buttons for my personal needs. I'm staying away from Razer products based on reputation.

Have you seen the new Logitech G602?

Bleeether

Anyone know if it is not unusual for a video card to lose over clocking stability over time?

I have a windforce gtx 670 that was solidly stable @ +95MHz for gpu and +775MHz on the mem clock. Over time i have had to tune it down. It is currently at 84 and 715 respectively.

Things to note. I have excellent cooling. Its been 8 months since the first time i OC'ed it.

Computer specs:
P8z77-v pro
i5 3570k OC @ 4.6 with corsair H100
Samsung 830 ssd + WD 1tb blue
Corsair vengeance ram
corsair hx750 PSU

JDHarbs

Hey PCGAF. Looking to build my first gaming PC and would like some input on parts. I stuck pretty close to the $800 build in the latest built sheet. Here is what I've got so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1GWvU

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: $600-$900 (US)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (mainly PS2), 3D/Model work (Maya/UDK), General Usage (Word, Chrome, 720p playback)
Monitor Resolution: Have a 720p tv w/ PC input (likely to upgrade later)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run Maya and UDK well. Would like to run current gen games at 60fps, next gen at 30fps. PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA are NOT important.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any.
When will you build?: Within next month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Any help at all is appreciated. :)

Azulsky

Anyone know if it is not unusual for a video card to lose over clocking stability over time?

I have a windforce gtx 670 that was solidly stable @ +95MHz for gpu and +775MHz on the mem clock. Over time i have had to tune it down. It is currently at 84 and 715 respectively.

Things to note. I have excellent cooling. Its been 8 months since the first time i OC'ed it.

Computer specs:
P8z77-v pro
i5 3570k OC @ 4.6 with corsair H100
Samsung 830 ssd + WD 1tb blue
Corsair vengeance ram
corsair hx750 PSU

You sure about those dusty fans?

scoobs

welp just got done w/ my new build and (shocker) after getting all my cableing beautiful and installing everything... the PSU seems to be dead. I'm using a 750w antec psu that I used in my old build ... worked fine before I started the new build today. Literally no sign of life when I plug her in and flip her on. Totally lifeless. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom