• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Has anything changed with monitors since the OP was made? I'm looking for a friend and have no idea whats considered good at the minute. It'll mainly be used for games, stuff like Battlefield and DayZ. If anyone has any recommendations, they'd be appreciated.

Since you'll be using it for battlefield I'd recommend one of the 120hz panels in the OP. You'll notice a big difference when using a 120hz panel with FPS titles. I'm partial to Asus myself.

What kind of GPU?

What monitor you get really depends on a few factors.

What kind of color quality do you want?
What kind of resolution are you aim do you aim to play at?
Do you need lightboost or high refresh rates?

Well, shit. I have no idea what lightboost is, or what the effect of a higher refresh rate would be. Resolution will probably end up as 1920 x 1080, preferably 24 inch.

Colour quality, I have no idea. The best I can get for the least money, that seems like a good idea.

Since you'll be using it for battlefield I'd recommend one of the 120hz panels in the OP. You'll notice a big difference when using a 120hz panel with FPS titles. I'm partial to Asus myself.

What kind of GPU?

He has a 6950 2GB.

Crisco

Banned
Case is nice. I just use those front ports all the time for memory sticks and figure eventually I'll be getting 3.0 sticks. The ones in the back are kind of a pain to get to.

Not really sure if I should be upgrading or spending the money and going all out.

I usually go like five years between builds and that was my intention again with this upcoming one.

You may be able to mod something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C50YW5507 into the front of your case.

Addnan

Hey guys. I'm trying to stick to around a $700 budget for my first pc build. Its going to be used mostly for gaming. Here's what I got so far. Just wanted to get some input:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Frustrated_Grunt/saved/2rCB

For around $60 more you can quite a bit more powerful PC. If you don't want to spend it then change the GTX760 to the Gigabyte 7950 unless you need the cuda stuff. A different PSU, one I linked is decent.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $766.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-24 15:04 EDT-0400)

TheKayle

Banned
Ah, alright. For that stuff, i7 plus 16GB RAM is a good idea.

The Spectre fans are by no means bad fans. If you plan on hooking them up to a fan controller, there's really no reason why they couldn't be quiet. Corsair doesn't do 200mm fans, but the Spectre 200mm is a really good fan for the price. I had one in my Prodigy and it does the job well. Big fans just move a lot of air at low rpm.

That Zalman cooler is total overkill. A Corsair H60 (make sure it's the newest revision!) would do great job at ~$50. Mount a 200mm fan as the bottom intake, one of the 120mm Spectres as top exhaust and the H60's radiator at the back and you've got a cool and quiet setup.

The PSU is not shitty, but there's better alternatives for the price. (Like the Antec BP550.) If you want to spend more, the Seasonic G-550 is 80 Plus gold certified and really quiet.

Where are you and where are you buying from?

ok thnx
i bought this one
BitFenix Spectre PRO 200mm Fan

http://www.drako.it/drako_catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8895#.UkHhCYbxpn0

im in italy so i just search the stuff on the web and i buy online

ill see if i find that psu but lookign around seem u can find it just in usa o_O (there isnt on ebay or amazon or other big ecommerce site)

for "overkill" u mean is good?!

i didnt take the h series from corsair coz i read there was a lots of problem of noise with the pump they fixed it?

(and also coz i never used a liquid cooler before...how long it take before u need to refill it?! ...i mean it need to be refilled?)

Anton668

i didnt take the h series from corsair coz i read there was a lots of problem of noise with the pump they fixed it?

(and also coz i never used a liquid cooler before...how long it take before u need to refill it?! ...i mean it need to be refilled?)

overkill, meaning more of a waste.

closed loop should not need filling(its closed)

swap out the PSU as nobody here will recommend a CX PSU

there are links above in the thread to much better PSU's

eta:

Yeah, I wasn't really sure about the PSU I had. Thanks!

For around $60 more you can quite a bit more powerful PC. If you don't want to spend it then change the GTX760 to the Gigabyte 7950 unless you need the cuda stuff. A different PSU, one I linked is decent.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($113.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $766.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-24 15:04 EDT-0400)

That does look tempting. I'll probably spare the extra in the end to go for this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Monitor shopping again. Sent back both the U2412M's I tried. And man, this old Fujitsu 22" just seems like trash by comparison. Tiny, washed out and dull looking. So yea, the actual picture on the Dell was excellent. But it looked so bad when viewing anything dark. That said, I'm not writing off IPS. The amazing colors really stood out and made games like Bioshock Infinite even more jaw-dropping.

I'm also thinking about going a bit bigger. 27". And this is my question - is 1080p at 27" really that bad? I see people ripping it everywhere, as if that resolution is just so lacklustre for the size. Anybody have any experience with one of these? I simply cant afford a 1440p+ monitor, nor do I have the power to properly get the most out of one. So that's not even a consideration. But I think 27" would be pretty great, especially once I get back into some sim racing.

Addnan

Monitor shopping again. Sent back both the U2412M's I tried. And man, this old Fujitsu 22" just seems like trash by comparison. Tiny, washed out and dull looking. So yea, the actual picture on the Dell was excellent. But it looked so bad when viewing anything dark. That said, I'm not writing off IPS. The amazing colors really stood out and made games like Bioshock Infinite even more jaw-dropping.

I'm also thinking about going a bit bigger. 27". And this is my question - is 1080p at 27" really that bad? I see people ripping it everywhere, as if that resolution is just so lacklustre for the size. Anybody have any experience with one of these? I simply cant afford a 1440p+ monitor, nor do I have the power to properly get the most out of one. So that's not even a consideration. But I think 27" would be pretty great, especially once I get back into some sim racing.

I'm using 1080p at 32" and don't sit far from the tv. The lack of pixel density is noticeable on the desktop, but it really depends how much you are willing to live with that. I'm ok with it.

Casanova

At first glance, all of these builds look incredible for the price (at least to someone who doesn't quite know what they're talking about) - Plus, they're already assembled:

This

or

This

or

This

or

This.

Are these all good buys or should I stick with a custom build that is recommended here on GAF? If they are, which one should I choose? If not, could anyone recommend a build for me in the $750 price-range?

Advice or comments?

Thanks

Anton668

27"? 1080P? IPS?

ASUS MX279H

I have one and so far I have no problems with it. well, the built in speakers are crap, but then, when arent they?

maybe im not as sensitive to things others are, but I play MMOs, FPS, racing, pretty much all types of games and I cant complain one bit

and its sexy! lol

20120605022452_7154295157_f4bc1b46f6_h.jpg

kharma45

Evga Gtx770 Dual Superclocked is this card any good? Was thinking of getting it as opposed to this one Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Would I notice a significant difference between the two? Also, what's the difference between the 256bit and 384 bit?

Wider bus = more bandwidth, both are fine though. 7950 is cheaper with these two, not in the same performance bracket as the 770 but a very good card for the price, best vfm on the market atm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131458. A step above at $280-$290 is the 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

770 isn't that great value next to the 7970. New cards tomorrow, prices may change.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
At first glance, all three of these builds look incredible for the price (at least to someone who doesn't quite know what they're talking about) - Plus, they're already assembled:

This

or

This

or

This.

Are these all good buys or should I stick with a custom build that is recommended here on GAF? If they are, which one should I choose? If not, could anyone recommend a build for me in the $750 price-range?

Advice or comments?

Thanks
"Brutally fast 7750 graphics"?
DGBYje4.gif

The OP builds are 2-3x more powerful

Lum1n3s

Wider bus = more bandwidth, both are fine though. 7950 is cheaper with these two, not in the same performance bracket as the 770 but a very good card for the price, best vfm on the market atm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131458. A step above at $280-$290 is the 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008
770 isn't that great value next to the 7970. New cards tomorrow, prices may change.
Awesome, thanks for the help! Wait... what's happening tomorrow though? Are some new cards coming out tomorrow or some announcements?

Seanspeed

Banned
27"? 1080P? IPS?

ASUS MX279H

I have one and so far I have no problems with it. well, the built in speakers are crap, but then, when arent they?

maybe im not as sensitive to things others are, but I play MMOs, FPS, racing, pretty much all types of games and I cant complain one bit

and its sexy! lol

Yea, that looks very nice. I was looking at the Acer S275HLbmii(also great looking). I'm about the pull the trigger. Do you notice any motion blur with yours? It gets the same sort of G2G response time as the one I'm looking at.

Ugh! I hate this. I don't want to return anything else. Got BF4 beta in a couple weeks and I want to have my monitor set and ready to go. :)

LordAlu

Awesome, thanks for the help! Wait... what's happening tomorrow though? Are some new cards coming out tomorrow or some announcements?
The new series of AMD cards are expected to be announced tomorrow, which will likely lead to a price drop on their current 7 series cards.

Addnan

The new series of AMD cards are expected to be announced tomorrow, which will likely lead to a price drop on their current 7 series cards.

I don't know how it can drop any further, in the USA anyway. The 7950 is already $200. Any further and the new card won't be worth upgrading to. I can't imagine the jump being so big that it will be worth double the cost.

Anton668

Yea, that looks very nice. I was looking at the Acer S275HLbmii(also great looking). I'm about the pull the trigger. Do you notice any motion blur with yours? It gets the same sort of G2G response time as the one I'm looking at.

Ugh! I hate this. I don't want to return anything else. Got BF4 beta in a couple weeks and I want to have my monitor set and ready to go. :)

well I've been playing BF3 as of late thanks to the Humble Bundle and I dont notice anything.

but again, maybe I just dont care or am not as sensitive to things. cuz many a time I see ppl complaining about various things on this board and I just sit scratching my head thinking "what the fuck are these ppl on about?!?!?"

Casanova

"Brutally fast 7750 graphics"?
DGBYje4.gif

The OP builds are 2-3x more powerful

Great response.

I think I'll push the budget a bit and get something very similar to the "Great - Best Value" build in the OP.

I'm, for the most part, a console gamer, so this Custom PC stuff is entirely foreign to me.

Thanks.

I just hope AMD announceS some of the rumored new games being added to the never settle bundle. I'm sitting on two coupons here waiting for bf4, coh2, splinter cell etc....

kris.

Banned
So I'm abou to start gathering parts (hopefully if the gods are good) but I don't really know much about today's hardware (it's been like 6 years since I've built a PC) so I'm kinda terrified to experiment with parts I know next to nothing about. Is Hazaro's great build something that'll last me a while if all I want to do is game on it? I want my games to look pretty.

kharma45

So I'm abou to start gathering parts (hopefully if the gods are good) but I don't really know much about today's hardware (it's been like 6 years since I've built a PC) so I'm kinda terrified to experiment with parts I know next to nothing about. Is Hazaro's great build something that'll last me a while if all I want to do is game on it? I want my games to look pretty.

Great build is pretty great. For what you pay (get the 7950 option) it's great bang for buck.

What kind of GPU?

WHAT!! What happened to 1440p yo?!! Quit playing wit my emotions smokaay!

Seanspeed

Banned
well I've been playing BF3 as of late thanks to the Humble Bundle and I dont notice anything.

but again, maybe I just dont care or am not as sensitive to things. cuz many a time I see ppl complaining about various things on this board and I just sit scratching my head thinking "what the fuck are these ppl on about?!?!?"
That sounds exactly like me, so that's reassuring!

I'm using 1080p at 32" and don't sit far from the tv. The lack of pixel density is noticeable on the desktop, but it really depends how much you are willing to live with that. I'm ok with it.
I really have no idea whether its going to be something I can live with or not having never seen it.

Reckoner

So, I'm finally ordering my parts to build my first PC from scratch tomorrow. I just changed the 7870 for the 7950 as it is at a discounted price at amazon uk (hope it remains that way until tomorrow).

Now, I just want to order a copy or license key of Windows. It can be 7 or 8. Do you guys know where I can get it at a good price? I was thinking on ordering this from amazon uk, too, but are there any drawbacks on the OEM version?

Casanova

Great build is pretty great. For what you pay (get the 7950 option) it's great bang for buck.

I think that's what I'll be doing. I'm opting out of the Xonar DGX Sound Card - and using the onboard sound card. With that extra $40, I'll be upgrading to the 7950.

So, I'm finally ordering my parts to build my first PC from scratch tomorrow. I just changed the 7870 for the 7950 as it is at a discounted price at amazon uk (hope it remains that way until tomorrow).

Now, I just want to order a copy or license key of Windows. It can be 7 or 8. Do you guys know where I can get it at a good price? I was thinking on ordering this from amazon uk, too, but are there any drawbacks on the OEM version?

I would like to know this as well. For U.S. though

todd360

27"? 1080P? IPS?

ASUS MX279H

and its sexy! lol

This is a thing of beauty.

ok thnx
i bought this one
BitFenix Spectre PRO 200mm Fan

http://www.drako.it/drako_catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8895#.UkHhCYbxpn0

im in italy so i just search the stuff on the web and i buy online

ill see if i find that psu but lookign around seem u can find it just in usa o_O (there isnt on ebay or amazon or other big ecommerce site)

Here it is. If you want to save a few euros, this is also a good unit.

Overkill, as noted, means "too much". The newest H60 revision isn't noisy at all set to "low" and cools really well.

kharma45

Get 8.

Only issue with OEM is you need to use a disc drive to install, can't do the USB method.

I think that's what I'll be doing. I'm opting out of the Xonar DGX Sound Card - and using the onboard sound card. With that extra $40, I'll be upgrading to the 7950.

I would like to know this as well. For U.S. though

Yeah I would too, on-board is good enough. For the OEM question see above.

kris.

Banned
I might wait it out and try out SteamOS before going back to Win7. The idea of an OS dedicated to Steam gets me all hot 'n bothered.

kharma45

I might wait it out and try out SteamOS before going back to Win7. The idea of an OS dedicated to Steam gets me all hot 'n bothered.

I'll probably give it a go too, but the limited selection of games and no easy b/c will make it hard to make much of an impact I feel. DirectX too is another thing against it, it's a fairly good API, easy enough to learn and it's well supported. I applaud Valve for trying to get another option out there for gaming but I feel Windows is just too ubiquitous.

Reckoner

Get 8.

Only issue with OEM is you need to use a disc drive to install, can't do the USB method.

Yeah I would too, on-board is good enough. For the OEM question see above.

Probably I still have a disc drive somewhere in the house, since I'm not ordering one now. So that should be the only thing to worry.

So, what about a lower price for Win?

Also, any things that I should know when I start putting all the stuff together? Like, should static be a big enough concern to order a strap?

Anton668

no need for cpu (i5 4600k) cooler if i only plan on overclocking gpu (evga acc 780)? Gracias in advance.

no

but you have a "K" chip, it exists to be overclocked.
if you dont overclock it, it becomes a waste.
and sad
and depressed
then it slowly comes to hate you and plot against you in your sleep.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom