• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordAlu

Welp, they changed the Asus 7970 back to €300.

Time to wait till 280X launch? Should be a rebranded 7970 for €299 I guess..
Give it a bit - most suppliers were expecting a proper release date for them so when AMD didn't really give any details other than you can "preorder from Oct 3rd" they put the prices back up. Hopefully they'll drop again in a few weeks.

Seanspeed

Banned
Computer has basically run flawlessly for about a month and a half, but it just shut down on me automatically a few minutes ago. Just web browsing, not running any games or anything demanding.

Should I be seriously concerned? Anything I can do to figure out what went wrong?

Computer has basically run flawlessly for about a month and a half, but it just shut down on me automatically a few minutes ago. Just web browsing, not running any games or anything demanding.

Should I be seriously concerned? Anything I can do to figure out what went wrong?

Monitor temperatures and check the event log.

Reckoner

MSI TF3 still isn't a bad one at €260.

Edit - Cheaper here at €250 and comes with the three free games in the Never Settle bundle http://www.alternate.nl/MSI/MSI+R7970_TF_3GD5-OC_BE/html/product/1077654/?event=search

At the minute I'd hold off on redemption until BF4 is added. At present this is what there is

qAiWIVT.png

what's the shipping cost in there? do they deliver to other european countries?

kharma45

what's the shipping cost in there? do they deliver to other european countries?

If you scroll to the bottom them seem to have other variants of their site for Belgium, Spain, France, Italy amongst others.

That's pretty good... could you overclock it to GTX 770 performance?

In terms of performance you're talking roughly this with both at stock http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/768?vs=829

Overclocking the 7970 you're going to be heading towards not far off 780 levels of performance. AMD's GCN stuff loves to overclock. You'd be looking at between 1.1-1.2GHz in terms of the core clock usually.

Seanspeed

Banned
Monitor temperatures and check the event log.

Temps seem great. Played a round of TDM in Battlefield 3 and some Borderlands and max CPU temp was 51C and max GPU temp was 63C.

Looked at the Event log. Just says that the system rebooted unexpectedly. Possible causes - system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

Power supply issue? :/ I have no idea.

Hey GAF. I am trying to sell my old PC. Specs/what is left are:

Alienware Aroura (that has been updated/modified over the years)

i7 930 QC (2.8 GHz)
Intel X58 Board from Dell
Alienware Liquid Cooler
GTX 460 1GB
6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) (2x3 GB)
875W Dell PSU
Alienware Aroura Case
Media Reader (SD cards/etc)
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Disc w/ key

How much do you think I could get for it (and where could I sell it?) I've been trying to sell it all for about $500 through craigslist. I live in a really rural area though, so not many people are interested.

Dawg

If you scroll to the bottom them seem to have other variants of their site for Belgium, Spain, France, Italy amongst others.

In terms of performance you're talking roughly this with both at stock http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/768?vs=829

Overclocking the 7970 you're going to be heading towards not far off 780 levels of performance. AMD's GCN stuff loves to overclock. You'd be looking at between 1.1-1.2GHz in terms of the core clock usually.

Wait, is that MSI TF3 a GhZ version at stock values or do I have to OC it to GhZ values? Sorry for the confusion, I'm on the verge of buying that MSI for €250.

The GTX 770 I'm looking at is €100 more (MSI as well).

kidko

Temps seem great. Played a round of TDM in Battlefield 3 and some Borderlands and max CPU temp was 51C and max GPU temp was 63C.

Looked at the Event log. Just says that the system rebooted unexpectedly. Possible causes - system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

Power supply issue? :/ I have no idea.

If have access to one, try swapping power supply. If that doesn't help, I would guess motherboard

Wait, is that MSI TF3 a GhZ version at stock values or do I have to OC it to GhZ values? Sorry for the confusion, I'm on the verge of buying that MSI for €250.

Based on the details, 1000Mhz Core 1050Mhz Boost, it matches a standard Ghz version.

The End

So, my build came together pretty well, but I'm having this annoying little issue.

I'll have a rock-solid 60fps with all settings cranked in (say) Diablo 3 or Warframe or BF3 or whatever, but every 20-30 minutes or so I'll get a random audio stutter/framerate drop. IN BF3, with the counter running, it'll drop to 47 fps for a second, and then pop right back. I disabled all of the little ASROCK utilities, so I'm thinking this is a windows issue. I'm running Windows 7 and I have two 1TB platter drives in there: a seagate 7200rpm/64 mb drive with windows/steam/etc installed on and an older samsung drive as a file store.

Any ideas?

gwXDNPCl.jpg

kharma45

That 7970 is a Boost Edition (it doesn't quite conform to AMD's standard for a GHz edition). It's default clock is 1GHz but it can also boost its clock up to 1050MHz too so will do a bit better than the scores in that benchmark I posted.

Since it can boost itself to 1050 I would imagine it'd be easy enough to get 1100MHz from it and hopefully beyond, but overclocking is never guaranteed. Big thread on it here on OCN, worth a read I'd say http://www.overclock.net/t/1384845/msi-r7970-tf-3gd5-oc-be-reviews

You're not going to go wrong with either a 7970 or a 770, both are good cards.

God damn. I should have taken it to get put together by somebody else. Knew I'd mess something up.

I would not worry unless it becomes a reoccurring thing. I highly doubt you messed anything up if it's been running fine for a month.

And also, if you were web browsing, the one application that has caused me the most crashes and general issues over the years is fucking Flash.

maneil99

Hey GAF. I am trying to sell my old PC. Specs/what is left are:

Alienware Aroura (that has been updated/modified over the years)

i7 930 QC (2.8 GHz)
Intel X58 Board from Dell
Alienware Liquid Cooler
GTX 460 1GB
6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz) (2x3 GB)
875W Dell PSU
Alienware Aroura Case
Media Reader (SD cards/etc)
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Disc w/ key

How much do you think I could get for it (and where could I sell it?) I've been trying to sell it all for about $500 through craigslist. I live in a really rural area though, so not many people are interested.

400$? I'd buy it if I had the cash just for the sake of it

kidko

God damn. I should have taken it to get put together by somebody else. Knew I'd mess something up.

It's really unlikely that it has anything to do with your work snapping the parts together. And yes, if it was only one crash and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues to happen, try swapping out parts.

This is how you end up with a closet full of spare parts. Welcome to the club.

Seanspeed

Banned
I would not worry unless it becomes a reoccurring thing. I highly doubt you messed anything up if it's been running fine for a month.

And also, if you were web browsing, the one application that has caused me the most crashes and general issues over the years is fucking Flash.

It just happened again. I looked and the power cord wasn't plugged in quite as firmly as it could have been. But would that cause it? Wouldn't it just shut off and not reboot? Or could that be it just not getting enough power or something?

Really worried something is messed up now. Spent a fair bit of money on all this. :(

It's really unlikely that it has anything to do with your work snapping the parts together. And yes, if it was only one crash and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues to happen, try swapping out parts.

This is how you end up with a closet full of spare parts. Welcome to the club.
I don't have any parts to swap it out with. I'd really rather not have to buy more stuff cuz I already pushed my budget higher than I originally planned with it.

Has anyone here ever replaced a power supply fan? Mine is making some god awful noises now. I used some compressed air on it, hoping dust or something had just managed to get in there, but no luck. Really don't want to have to replace the entire PSU.

kidko

I don't have any parts to swap it out with. I'd really rather not have to buy more stuff cuz I already pushed my budget higher than I originally planned with it.

More reasonable people than I would RMA parts and patiently wait for them to go through the mail, but I would probably just order a replacement and swap it out, then RMA or return the other part. It helps to have a few backup parts to narrow down your problem, but if you don't have that (yet) then you can just take a guess and RMA one at a time.

kennah

Has anyone here ever replaced a power supply fan? Mine is making some god awful noises now. I used some compressed air on it, hoping dust or something had just managed to get in there, but no luck. Really don't want to have to replace the entire PSU.

PSU still under warranty? That's something that would be covered.

Mad Max

So I took the CPU out and saw that I have a bent pin, if I read the spec sheet right, its the pin for VSS_Sense, which I'm guessing might be why my ram was acting wonky. What's the best way to fix this? I've been trying to use a needle & magnifying glass to move it, but obviously its made to be springy and doesnt move easily. Would a local computer repair shop be able to fix it? From what I've seen on other forum posts, sockets in much worse condition have been fixed. Also, since this probably wont be fixed tonight, I'm guessing the thermal paste on my cpu should be replaced when I put the cpu on right?

Here's the pin, luckily its on the edge
F0AYGeRl.jpg

You can use tweezers to bend it back, I've done it before and it's doable even without a magnifying glass. The pin doesn't even need to be perfectly straight as long as it touches the cpu in the right spot. Some manufacturers can also replace the socket if you pay them, so you could also try that if you can't get it working any other way.

Mine (Asus 7870) is like this:
KaiVOOu.jpg

Min fan speed til 40°C, 40% at 60°c and then it ramps up quickly. Super quiet at idle, still quiet but cool under load. Pretty good noise/temps-compromise in my opinion.

Hmm that does look pretty good I will give it a whirl thanks! :) The Sapphire Trixx Utility that came with my card should be just fine right?

BF4 isn't being added. Its 290X BF4 Edition only

Is that really confirmed? If it is then I might aswell redeem my code now :(

Dawg

So, assuming I'll take the HD7970, I'd have extra cash so I can finally get some speakers.

Earlier, a gaffer recommended me these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047CTA1C/

The price is right, as I don't want to spend more than that (close to €100) but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations.

Hmm that does look pretty good I will give it a whirl thanks! :) The Sapphire Trixx Utility that came with my card should be just fine right?
Never used it, but it should be fine. The screenshot is from MSI Afterburner, which is what I'd recommend if Trixx isn't working the way you want it to.

Reckoner

No. AMD has announced that the 290X will have a BF4 edition for the first 8000 pre-order, but that doesn't mean it won't appear in Never Settle like they said it would.

I ended up ordering the 7950 on amazon uk because the sapphire version they got has two fans, which will be better for oc. I'm still in time to cancel it and order one that includes the never settle, but I don't want to go over 270 euros with shipping costs included.

is there anything in that margin?

edit: finally overlockers uk didn't give any error and got the 7970. the extra price for a better gpu and the possibility of having bf4 make it a great deal. ok, seems to be it... there's no turning back this time

Dawg

Ok, so my purchase is like this:

€260 BenQ XL2411T
€250 MSI TF HD 7970
€70-80 some 2.0 speakers
€20 cpu cooler

Something I'd like to know though. On a different forum, some guys were going like "you're buying a 120hz screen with just one gpu? Isn't that a little underpowered?"

Afaik, you don't need constant 120fps to enjoy the benefits of 120hz. And internet/deskt usage is always 120hz, right?

I'm just not 100% sure what will happen if I'd like to play a game like BF4 or when my framerate dips from 90-120 to below 60 in a heavy part of a game.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Anyone recently buy a 7950 in the us that overclocks well? Looking for recommendations and don't mind advice as this is my first big gpu in a while.

Afaik, you don't need constant 120fps to enjoy the benefits of 120hz. And internet/deskt usage is always 120hz, right?

I'm just not 100% sure what will happen if I'd like to play a game like BF4 or when my framerate dips from 90-120 to below 60 in a heavy part of a game.

No you don't need a constant 120fps to enjoy the benefits of LB you can also 100fps for 100hz. You really want to keep it as high as possible. If you're getting heavy dips you will lose a lot of the benefits of the strobing especially if it's dips that low.

LordAlu

No. AMD has announced that the 290X will have a BF4 edition for the first 8000 pre-order, but that doesn't mean it won't appear in Never Settle like they said it would.
Correct, and the information I have from my place of work is that it will certainly be added to the Gold code at some point in October.

Correct, and the information I have from my place of work is that it will certainly be added to the Gold code at some point in October.

Would this mean if you bought an AMD card now that came with a Gold code and BF4 was added to the program later, you could use the Gold code to get BF4 free? Also, if that is the case how long does it take to get keys from them?

kharma45

Would this mean if you bought an AMD card now that came with a Gold code and BF4 was added to the program later, you could use the Gold code to get BF4 free? Also, if that is the case how long does it take to get keys from them?

You have up until December 31 to redeem the codes, but you cannot pick and choose. You have to redeem all three games at one time.

Xdrive05

Anyone recently buy a 7950 in the us that overclocks well? Looking for recommendations and don't mind advice as this is my first big gpu in a while.

No you don't need a constant 120fps to enjoy the benefits of LB you can also 100fps for 100hz. You really want to keep it as high as possible. If you're getting heavy dips you will lose a lot of the benefits of the strobing especially if it's dips that low.

I bought the MSI TFIII one about 6 months ago. They come in two different PCB's. Mine was the 6+8pin iirc. There was also an 8+8pin which was the same PCB as the 7970 I think.

Anyway, the card is a beast. I run it between 1100 and 1150 to keep the fan noise reasonable. But I've had it stable over 1200 with loud fans under full load. Not bad considering the reference board is only 800. Great build quality too.

kennah

That's a pretty shit case no? the NZXT 210 not too much more with PSU I would imagine.

Canada, friend :) 210 is a pain to find here. (Locally)

Optimally I'd get that one, but with shipping and et cetera it comes out way more

Usually $50 + $25 shipping.

Addnan

Ah, just assumed if it's easily available in the UK it must be in Canada. Pretty good deal then if you are not going for a mid to high end build. The case if worth $60, now that surprised me.

kennah

Yeah would be for a pretty low end build. Trying 'something'

CPU: i3 4330
Motherboard - Gigabyte H87-GA3
RAM - 4-8gigs of whatever
GPU - AMD 260X
HD - 500gig 7200RPM drive
Case: 210 or whatever I can find cheap
PSU - VP450 or some other cheap PSU.

Casanova

FYI: Newegg is giving a additional 10% off with code "SAVE10SEP25Z", today only.

That's shitty. I planned on ordering all of my stuff for my new build today, and this sale was yesterday...

Any other promo codes I should know about that are actually valid today?

tyrone888

Neo Member
Quick question: I should not waste my money buying an SSD that comes with a desktop kit right? Just buy any cheap mounting kit separately?

kennah

Quick question: I should not waste my money buying an SSD that comes with a desktop kit right? Just buy any cheap mounting kit separately?

You don't need any mounting kit at all. Most modern cases have 2.5" mounting points on them/doublesided tape works just fine.

Casanova

First off, I'm trying to stick to a budget of near $600 for my PC build and here is what I'm considering going with.

CPU – i5-4430
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX650Ti Boost
Ram – Kingston Hyper X 8GB
Motherboard - MSI B85M-P33
Power Supply – Corsair CX 430
Case - Cooler Master Elite 430
Hard Drive - Wester Digital 5000AAKX
Optical Drive: Asus DVD-RW

Any suggestions before I order, to make it cheaper and/or more powerful?

I would really like to buy a better monitor as well, but still be able to keep the price at $600. As this monitor, the HP w2007, is an antique. I don't think the HP w2007 monitor would be able to take advantage of this build. I'm okay with the size, 20 inches, and if it will be able to take advantage of the build, I'd be fine with just using it.

Thanks, GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom