• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's equally as good a board, the Gigabyte doesn't really do anything better to justify the price. The Biostar's in the OP are also very good too.

My mate originally told me to play it safe & get a Gigabyte MB if I want a Gigabyte videocard because he heard of some people having issues with a Gigabyte card and different MB.

kennah

I'd grant you that 20 years ago it was a problem, but that's no longer the case. Standards have improved greatly and everything is designed to work with everything else.

LordAlu

Ok, so I need your guys help with my new pc build. So far, I'm running the system barebones and breadbox just to see if I could get it to post before I go through the process of mounting it in my case. These are my specs that are installed right now:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU: i5-4670k
Ram: 8 GB (2x4 GB) Team Vulcan DDR3 TLD38G1600HC9DC01
PSU: XFX P1-650X-XXB9 650W

My mobo DIMM slots are numbered from the furthest from the cpu as
|1||3||2||4||cpu

I'm having trouble getting it to post with 2 sticks of ram in dual channel and have tried the following combinations, resetting CMOS, and will try to reseat the cpu and check for bent pins, but I don't have a whole lot of time right now. Also, I wanted to ask if I would need new thermal compound since its been ~24 hours since the CPU has been put in w/ heat sink fan.

No RAM: Error Code 15 (Pre-Memory North Bridge Initialization) w/ continuous beeping for ~15 seconds
1 stick in slot 1: post
1 stick in slot 3: post
1 stick in slot 2: Error Code 15 & beeping
1 stick in slot 4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 1&2: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in slot 3&4: Error Code 15 & beeping
2 sticks in 1&3: post (is there any way to check if the second stick is actually detected in bios?)
The ram also seems to be running at 1333 instead of 1600, but the timing and voltage seem correct.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what to try next? I don't really know what that error means, but it sounds like its before the memory is even looked at, so would my best bet be to reseat the cpu and look for bent pins? Like I said, I won't be able to work on it till later since I have other things going on, but I wanted to know if there was anything else I could try before taking the cpu out and possibly having to pick up some thermal compound. I'll probably call Gigabyte if I can't come up with any progress later, but figured you guys might have seen this before.
Take a look in your motherboard manual, but usually when you have two sticks of RAM and four slots you have to put them in slots with a slot empty inbetween. Usually they are colour coded - for example on your board two slots are black and two slots are grey, so you would put them in the two grey slots (you can see on the image below they are marked as DDR3_1 and DDR3_2):

Z87X-UD4H-Rev1-0.jpg

Edit: Your motherboard manual does indeed say to put them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2.

That should get it working and post fine. If it doesn't then there's probably some issue with your motherboard since the RAM works fine in singles - there won't be anything wrong with the CPU since that also posts fine with singles. You can tell if both sticks are detected by looking at the total RAM in your BIOS - for example if you have two 4GB sticks of RAM your BIOS will say there is 8192MB of RAM. On your BIOS it will most likely be listed somewhere under the "System" tab:

Z87X-UD4HBIOS1.jpg

Just noticed some 7970's are 250e atm. Is this a real price drop?
AMD are holding a livestream for new cards right now (although it appears to have not started yet due to technical issues) where they will be showing off new cards. Expect old ones to drop a bit in price.

2San

I don't believe it's an official one, more retailers wanting to get stock shifted.
It's pretty cheap, hope it stays that way for a while. Even if the next set of AMD gpu's are disappointing an 7970 seems like a nice upgrade for that price(I'm on an unlocked 6950).
AMD are holding a livestream for new cards right now (although it appears to have not started yet due to technical issues) where they will be showing off new cards. Expect old ones to drop a bit in price.
Yeah knew about that, still surprised about the prices.

kharma45

It's pretty cheap, hope it stays that way for a while. Even if the next set of AMD gpu's are disappointing an 7970 seems like a nice upgrade for that price(I'm on an unlocked 6950).

For sure. Can't see whatever they bring out today matching the 7970 at that price point.

LordAlu

For sure. Can't see whatever they bring out today matching the 7970 at that price point.
If they don't announce something particularly amazing at a decent enough price (at least for me) then I'll be picking up a 7970 to replace my old 560Ti. I can get one myself for around £215, which is a real bargain considering the cheapest I can get a GTX 770 is still £300+. All depends on what AMD come out with.

kharma45

If they don't announce something particularly amazing at a decent enough price (at least for me) then I'll be picking up a 7970 to replace my old 560Ti. I can get one myself for around £215, which is a real bargain considering the cheapest I can get a GTX 770 is still £300+. All depends on what AMD come out with.

You can grab a 670 for £200.

Every HD7970 is still €300 or more...

Except this one: http://afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=342008

€245 for a HD7970 is pretty damn cheap, does that Asus version have any cons? Don't understand why it's so cheap.

Might just wait before I buy my gtx 770.

Only con is it's massive, triple slot cooler.

Reckoner

Yep, one of the highest rated stores in the Netherlands. Great prices and shipping.

was going to buy, they don't send it to where I live. :(

btw, almost got a 450w power supply. I had a second thought that maybe I will need a better one since oc is a possibility. is there a great deal on the uk, preferably amazon?

edit: is this one good?

kharma45

was going to buy, they don't send it to where I live. :(

btw, almost got a 450w power supply. I had a second thought that maybe I will need a better one since oc is a possibility. is there a great deal on the uk, preferably amazon?

edit: is this one good?

Stick to XFX, Seasonic or Be Quiet! would be my advice for UK buying at that price point.

Addnan

Was watching a Linus video the other day where he build a 3930K, Quadro card, GTX780 and another expansion card. Used a 550W BeQuiet dark power PSU, had the 3930K overclocked a little and it still comfortably ran the system. He said peak usage was about 500W. Thought that bit was quite interesting, because I would never have imagined enthusiast CPU +780 and a quadro card can run easily on a 550W.

kharma45

Was watching a Linus video the other day where he build a 3930K, Quadro card, GTX780 and another expansion card. Used a 550W BeQuiet dark power PSU, had the 3930K overclocked a little and it still comfortably ran the system. He said peak usage was about 500W. Thought that bit was quite interesting, because I would never have imagined enthusiast CPU +780 and a quadro card can run easily on a 550W.

Makes me think I could pull of a 7970 on my 430w (although it can pull 512w at full load).

Addnan

I turned the stream off. These have never done any public speaking before lol. I'll just get the news once it's out. I'm just waiting for Nvidia to react and cut prices.

Dawg

I turned the stream off. These have never done any public speaking before lol. I'll just get the news once it's out. I'm just waiting for Nvidia to react and cut prices.

Would the nvidia pricedrop happen any time soon? I have a feeling ordering a GTX 770 right now could end up biting me in the ass.

Sdawg36

Take a look in your motherboard manual, but usually when you have two sticks of RAM and four slots you have to put them in slots with a slot empty inbetween. Usually they are colour coded - for example on your board two slots are black and two slots are grey, so you would put them in the two grey slots (you can see on the image below they are marked as DDR3_1 and DDR3_2):

Edit: Your motherboard manual does indeed say to put them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2.

That should get it working and post fine. If it doesn't then there's probably some issue with your motherboard since the RAM works fine in singles - there won't be anything wrong with the CPU since that also posts fine with singles. You can tell if both sticks are detected by looking at the total RAM in your BIOS - for example if you have two 4GB sticks of RAM your BIOS will say there is 8192MB of RAM. On your BIOS it will most likely be listed somewhere under the "System" tab

I ended up finding the total memory in the classic bios view and it shows both stick being detected if hey are in slots 1&3 which are the first two furthest from the cpu. If I try to reseat the cpu and check for bent pins will I need to reapply thermal compound? I'm using the stock fan and whatever was preapplied but it has been 24 hours since I installed it so I don't know if it would still be good to just reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom