• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

So I should probably wait before ordering my gpu (I have €360), right?

If you dont need new gear now then might as well.

I am trying to wrap my brain around which current gen cards were just renamed.

The competitor to the 770 is the 7970Ghz edition. So if that was rebadged and is significantly lower than the 770 they would drop price on lower tiers?

What I got from this is that I paid at most $50 more per card than I would if I waited 6 weeks. Time is money so I aint even mad.

I would give this all a day for the information to full dilute to readable form.

Based on the AMD announcement, 7950 is priced the same, if not a little better than the 270X and looks to perform better with more ram. That remains my recommended card for my buddy. You wouldn't expect prices to fall for that any further anytime soon right?

amd-a5j4q8c.png

kharma45

My only issue is my PSU. Rated at 430w, can pull 512w and I know that if I got a 7970 I would have to OC it.

I'll see. If this 7850 could OC I'd be keeping it but I've no love for it since it can't really go much beyond stock.

Azulsky

My only issue is my PSU. Rated at 430w, can pull 512w and I know that if I got a 7970 I would have to OC it.

I'll see. If this 7850 could OC I'd be keeping it but I've no love for it since it can't really go much beyond stock.

Power supplies are components that last multiple builds. So going to bit ham on the specs can be rewarding down the road.

kharma45

Power supplies are components that last multiple builds. So going to bit ham on the specs can be rewarding down the road.

Most power consumption is trending downwards so I don't have many worries, and as I said it's branded as 430w but pulls over 500w. I'm never going to do more than a single GPU PC so it'll handle most things within what I'd be looking to do.

fader

I am excite too what did you order?

Fractal Design Define R4
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (green)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB
Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB
ZOTAC ZT-70201-10P GeForce GTX 780 3GB
ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
Creative Sound Blaster Z
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W

Peripherals:
Razer DeathAdder 2013
CM Storm QuickFire Pro
Razer Sabertooth Elite Gaming Controller
AKG Q 701 (lime green)
SteelSeries QcK
ASUS PA248Q

I......Can't.....WAIT!

Azulsky

Fractal Design Define R4
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (green)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB
Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB
ZOTAC ZT-70201-10P GeForce GTX 780 3GB
ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
Creative Sound Blaster Z
SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W

Peripherals:
Razer DeathAdder 2013
CM Storm QuickFire Pro
Razer Sabertooth Elite Gaming Controller
AKG Q 701 (lime green)
SteelSeries QcK
ASUS PA248Q

I......Can't.....WAIT!

I demand post build photos

Dmax3901

So I was digging around and found my old mobo with two sticks of 2gb ram each. Can I just whack them in my new mobo to get an additional 4gb ram or will it fuck everything up?

fader

So I was digging around and found my old mobo with two sticks of 2gb ram each. Can I just whack them in my new mobo to get an additional 4gb ram or will it fuck everything up?

you should check to see what interface it is on the ram stick, whether its DDR3 or DDR2.

Ishan

Hey could some of you help me with building a "future proof" graphics processing PC

Essentially i work on 3d modelling using kinect etc so I want to build a PC which in 4 years will be on par with what

"Desktop PC with 3GHz (or better) multi-core processor and a graphics card with 2GB or more of dedicated on-board memory. NVidia GeForce GTX680 and AMD Radeon HD 7850"

is today. Essentially something overpowered enough that in 4 years it will be on par with what that machine represents today. (Looking at budget of around 3 - 3.5k).

The work this workstation is supposed to focus on is primarily 3d data crunching on a large scale. (advanced vision/sensor techniques etc)

Dmax3901

Also, while I'm in here, would the upgrade from a 1gb HD 6950 to a 7950 (3gb or whatever) be worth the price? I usually wait two generations to upgrade.

you should check to see what interface it is on the ram stick, whether its DDR3 or DDR2.

Looks like it's probs DDR 2 therefore not worth it/incompatible right?

Dawg

This AMD change is annoying me. I'm an Nvidia enthusiast but the HD 7970 is just so damn cheap. I'd have an extra €110 left for an extra SSD or speakers.

The GTX 770 is better though, but will eat my entire budget. But the extra performance could help me since I'm going 120hz.

kharma45

And they're also selling the 7950 at 179.99. Probably that's the one I'll buy for my build

Hmm... 7950 is awfully close to it too.

This AMD change is annoying me. I'm an Nvidia enthusiast but the HD 7970 is just so damn cheap. I'd have an extra €110 left for an extra SSD or speakers.

The GTX 770 is better though, but will eat my entire budget.

770 isn't really any better. Maybe 5% before any overclocking, not worth the extra.

so my friend is selling his rig for $500: 8gb RAM, i5, 250 gb hd, AMD 6690 HD radeon gfx
$650 for rig + 23" monitor, gaming mouse and gaming keyboard. is it a good price?

M3z_

GTX 770 is not better than a 7970 Ghz, it's a toss up between the cards, and if there were a "winner" between the two it would likely be the 7970 Ghz because of it's overclocking headroom in most circumstances,

Dawg

GTX 770 is not better than a 7970 Ghz, it's a toss up between the cards, and if there were a "winner" between the two it would likely be the 7970 Ghz because of it's overclocking headroom in most circumstances,

The Ghz is not on sale though (afaik)

M3z_

Well the Ghz edition is really just a 7970 that is pre overclocked. I personally would never buy a GHz edition because you can do the same overclock yourself and save the money. Basically every 7970 is a 7970 GHz if you are willing to raise the clock yourself, I don't think I've ever read of a person not being able to get 1050(the core clock of most Ghz models) on the core of a basic 7970. I mean shit I've had 6 different 7970's and all of them at least OC'd to 1100 on the core.

Dawg

Well the Ghz edition is really just a 7970 that is pre overclocked. I personally would never buy a GHz edition because you can do the same overclock yourself and save the money. Basically every 7970 is a 7970 GHz if you are willing to raise the clock yourself, I don't think I've ever read of a person not being able to get 1050(the core clock of most Ghz models) on the core of a basic 7970. I mean shit I've had 6 different 7970's and all of them at least OC'd to 1100 on the core.

I see. Only problem I have: I was looking at some customer reviews on newegg and the only two cards on sale here didn't really get a lot of positive feedback. I'm used to 70-80% 5/5 but it was only like 50% here. I usually use newegg so I have a good view on people who actually bought the same hardware as me. It just seems lower than most hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Yeah I currently have a launch reference HD7970 that I overclock simply with AMD Overdrive, no increased voltage to 1125/1575 MHz. It's as simple as moving a couple sliders in CCC. Rock solid stable for 2 years.

JDHarbs

Get a 7950 over the 660, much better card for not much more. Powercolor PCS+ one is $180, Gigabyte WF $200.

Since emulation is important get an overclockable system like this, will benefit from it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($37.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $823.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 04:14 EDT-0400)

About $30 more but worth it. You'll be able to overclock a bit on the stock cooler but do get the full potential from the CPU you'd need to spend another $20 on one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It'd also make your rig quieter too. I see you're looking to do Maya and UDK. From a quick Google I can't see any downsides to AMD since it's not a CUDA program.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey could some of you help me with building a "future proof" graphics processing PC

Essentially i work on 3d modelling using kinect etc so I want to build a PC which in 4 years will be on par with what

"Desktop PC with 3GHz (or better) multi-core processor and a graphics card with 2GB or more of dedicated on-board memory. NVidia GeForce GTX680 and AMD Radeon HD 7850"

is today. Essentially something overpowered enough that in 4 years it will be on par with what that machine represents today. (Looking at budget of around 3 - 3.5k).

The work this workstation is supposed to focus on is primarily 3d data crunching on a large scale. (advanced vision/sensor techniques etc)
Does nVidia or AMD work better for your software and when do you need it completed by?

A socket 2011 build (Extreme in build sheet) with a 6 core CPU, loads of 2133/2400MHz memory, and dual GPUs (R9 290Xs / GTX780s / Titans) could work well.

If you can wait a month on the AMD launch it could really help your build out.

nbthedude

Yeah I currently have a launch reference HD7970 that I overclock simply with AMD Overdrive, no increased voltage to 1125/1575 MHz. It's as simple as moving a couple sliders in CCC. Rock solid stable for 2 years.

It depends on how much more you have to pay.

The two advantages of the GHZ editions are:

1) You don't void your warranty since they come pre-overclocked

2) They often have better coolers on them than the cheaper variants.

It might be worth it to some if it's not a whole lot more. I wouldn't pay more than $30 more for them myself, personally, though.

mhayze

If you want a high end developer machine with good graphics capabilities, I would think an Ivy Bridge-E (LGA2011) processor would be the way to go. This is the 'workstation' line from intel, and supports either LGA2011 i7 processors OR Xeon processors (for ECC support). The three main differences between this line and the desktop line are:
  • 6 core CPU support (instead of 4)
  • 8 DIMM Slots and Quad Channel memory and ECC support (instead of dual channel / 4 slots and no ECC support)
  • More PCIe lanes (expansion slots) (quadruple the number of lanes)
Having more RAM options / expansion capacity and more cores and more PCIe is the most you can do to be "future proof" (an oxymoron, really) at this point in time. However, as you go beyond 16GB RAM, ECC RAM becomes a good option to have, IMHO, especially if you're doing any processing and running of VMs, where data integrity is important. This platform will support a LOT of RAM, which tends to be the most future-proofing you can do.

Note that Ivy Bridge-E will be out at the end of September. Sandy Bridge-E has been out for a while and is very, very close to Ivy Bridge-E (basically you get a slight bump in perf/clock and slightly higher clocks), but it may be worth waiting just a couple of weeks if you don't need it right away.
--------------
I would spec the following:
- 6 Core Xeon with 32GB ECC (4 x 8GB DIMMs)
OR 6 Core i7 with 16GB non-ECC if you don't care about ECC RAM and don't need that much RAM or want to overclock (I don't recommend it for your use)
- ASUS Workstation line X79 motherboard or a Tyan/Supermicro board if you are sure you don't want to overclock. There should be new motherboards announced with Ivy Bridge E very soon(TM)
- GTX 780 or Titan GPU or the new AMD 'Hawaii' GPU if you can wait a couple of weeks. I don't recommend dual GPUs in a developer workstation, unless you have 2 machines.
OR if you are doing any Autodesk work, then maybe a Quadro card instead
- Case - whatever you like, I'm a fan of this one.
- Corsair AX850 Power Supply (should be plenty for this spec and is as bullet-proof as you'd want to get here)
- 2 x 256GB SSDs for OS / Apps
- 4TB WD RE drive for data + external drive for backup
- This monitor (not really) or a 30" 2560x1600 jobbie or maybe a 27" 2560x1440 display if you don't have space for a larger mon.

Doing some math, that would come in under $3500 DIY stateside - if you pick the less expensive options.

Azulsky

FWIW the Antec HCP series are pretty much the Buy-It-For-Life PSU right now. The OEM is Delta.

At least until the SuperFlower 80 Plus Titanium rated PSU arrives

Sdawg36

So I took the CPU out and saw that I have a bent pin, if I read the spec sheet right, its the pin for VSS_Sense, which I'm guessing might be why my ram was acting wonky. What's the best way to fix this? I've been trying to use a needle & magnifying glass to move it, but obviously its made to be springy and doesnt move easily. Would a local computer repair shop be able to fix it? From what I've seen on other forum posts, sockets in much worse condition have been fixed. Also, since this probably wont be fixed tonight, I'm guessing the thermal paste on my cpu should be replaced when I put the cpu on right?

Here's the pin, luckily its on the edge
F0AYGeRl.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I took the CPU out and saw that I have a bent pin, if I read the spec sheet right, its the pin for VSS_Sense, which I'm guessing might be why my ram was acting wonky. What's the best way to fix this? I've been trying to use a needle & magnifying glass to move it, but obviously its made to be springy and doesnt move easily. Would a local computer repair shop be able to fix it? From what I've seen on other forum posts, sockets in much worse condition have been fixed. Also, since this probably wont be fixed tonight, I'm guessing the thermal paste on my cpu should be replaced when I put the cpu on right?

Here's the pin, luckily its on the edge
F0AYGeRl.jpg
Does/did it the contact side of the CPU pad?
If so then yes, go ahead and try to straighten it VERY CAREFULLY. I'd probably try some tweezers and nudge it (not grab) into position, but Google will probably be your better friend here.

So my 7950 arrived today and luckily it fit in the case but really if it would even be only 2mm longer it wouldn't :p The actual card PCB isn't touching the HDD case but the plastic-casing of the fans are ever so slightly though everything seems to work just fine.

Oh and could anyone recommend me a way to set up a manual fan-profile for high-load? The card isn't really loud under load but coming from a MSI 6850 Cyclone which was unhearable even under medium-load it does bother me :/ And I'm not sure about setting one fixed fan-speed as that does seem a bit dangerous when the card won't regulate itself anymore...

It's a Sapphire 7950 3GB Boost Edition if that makes a difference (Not the Vapor X version!) and after yesterdays Mantle announcement I'm really happy I didn't go with the GTX 760.

so my friend is selling his rig for $500: 8gb RAM, i5, 250 gb hd, AMD 6690 HD radeon gfx
$650 for rig + 23" monitor, gaming mouse and gaming keyboard. is it a good price?

Need more details. Which i5? If it's say Sandy Bridge, then fuck yes. If it's a 5 year old i5, maybe not. Also, is your friend a smoker, have cats/dogs? Does he keep things in great condition?

So being in college and lacking some cash right now, I was planning on purchasing the parts for a pc build incrementally as I acquire enough funds. I plan on getting everything I need by January. One of my friends say it's not a good idea because my cpu/gpu could arrive DOA and I would have no way of testing it. What do you think GAF? Am I screwing myself going by this method?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I'm probably going to buy a laptop in the next couple of days... most of them seems to be 1366x768 - but I have this 1080p-monitor that I want to hook it up with. Will it work with the graphics card of the laptop?

I'm talking like Intel HD 4400 and others alike.

breadtruck

So being in college and lacking some cash right now, I was planning on purchasing the parts for a pc build incrementally as I acquire enough funds. I plan on getting everything I need by January. One of my friends say it's not a good idea because my cpu/gpu could arrive DOA and I would have no way of testing it. What do you think GAF? Am I screwing myself going by this method?

I typically buy stuff like the case, dvd burner, etc here and there. Then purchase the core items in one big purchase.

Seanspeed

Banned
Order the CPU/motherboard last. GPU 2nd-to-last(to get the best price).

Get things like the case, storage devices, operating system, keyboard/mouse, power supply, RAM and whatnot first. I don't think you have to worry about any of these things being bunk.

I typically buy stuff like the case, dvd burner, etc here and there. Then purchase the core items in one big purchase.

Order the CPU/motherboard last. GPU 2nd-to-last(to get the best price).

Get things like the case, storage devices, operating system, keyboard/mouse, power supply, RAM and whatnot first. I don't think you have to worry about any of these things being bunk.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Oh and could anyone recommend me a way to set up a manual fan-profile for high-load
Mine (Asus 7870) is like this:
KaiVOOu.jpg

Min fan speed til 40°C, 40% at 60°c and then it ramps up quickly. Super quiet at idle, still quiet but cool under load. Pretty good noise/temps-compromise in my opinion.

Dawg

Welp, they changed the Asus 7970 back to €300.

Time to wait till 280X launch? Should be a rebranded 7970 for €299 I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom