• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjsprojects

Didn't want to start a thread for my question so-

Would going to a better graphics card help or anything over what i have will bottleneck? I ran Tomb raider with pretty high settings apart from the hair and splinter cell is also set pretty high,so is it worth me bothering or just build a new pc?

Intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz with 4gb ram and a GTX-460 palit 1gb overclock card.Win 7 64

Thanks.

Hey gaf I know posted yesterday about needing a new graphics card. I just wanna make sure that the card is actually the issue. When Im gaming a lot weird colour blips/white circles or squares flash on screen. The card also gets insanely hot (it reached 102 C last night).

I've talked to my brother and he says yes that the card is the problem but wanted me to check on here just to make sure

kharma45

Noted, thanks again :)

No problem.

Is Windows 7 still the defacto gaming OS, or are people capitulating to Windows 8?

8 is better.

Didn't want to start a thread for my question so-

Would going to a better graphics card help or anything over what i have will bottleneck? I ran Tomb raider with pretty high settings apart from the hair and splinter cell is also set pretty high,so is it worth me bothering or just build a new pc?

Intel core2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz with 4gb ram and a GTX-460 palit 1gb overclock card.Win 7 64

Thanks.

It will in some games, not in others. A GPU upgrade will help in a lot of games, overclocking your CPU would also help but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but still reasonable when OC'd.

Hey gaf I know posted yesterday about needing a new graphics card. I just wanna make sure that the card is actually the issue. When Im gaming a lot weird colour blips/white circles or squares flash on screen. The card also gets insanely hot (it reached 102 C last night).

I've talked to my brother and he says yes that the card is the problem but wanted me to check on here just to make sure

Sounds like it is.

Enordash

So I have a bit of a weird one here. My desktop 1TB HDD died so I now have a 2TB WD Black and a 75GB SSD. I'm doing a completely clean install today. Should I dedicate the SSD to the OS? Steam? Put everything on the 2TB and upgrade to a larger SSD later?

t-ramp

So I have a bit of a weird one here. My desktop 1TB HDD died so I now have a 2TB WD Black and a 75GB SSD. I'm doing a completely clean install today. Should I dedicate the SSD to the OS? Steam? Put everything on the 2TB and upgrade to a larger SSD later?
I'd just dedicate the SSD to the OS and install most other programs to the HDD. 75GB isn't tiny, so you shouldn't run into space issues from normal use, at least for a while.

Yeah it's his first build. I wasn't there to help since I live a couple of states away but he just followed the TechReport guide I sent him.

Question, I assume if the pins are not holding it down properly, he is probably going to need to remove it, clean it and put more thermal paste on? Right now he just used the stock heatsink and the factory applied paste to keep it simple since he wasn't planning on overclocking anytime soon.
Maybe, but if it's just a loose push-pin you might not need to remove the cooler.

Coldsnap

I keep getting "Game Name has stopped working" while playing video games. No clue what it is, it's frustrating me. Just crashes right to desktop. Video card is stable in Furmark and Valley and CPU is stable 1 hour in Prime blend.

cookypt

Neo Member
So I finally have the money to start building my new PC.

For the motherbord I was thinking about ordering a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming for £113.76 and the for the CPU cooler I was thinking about getting the CoolerMaster 212 EVO for ~£26, but now I have the chance of buying MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING for something around £153 and they offer the Coolmaster Seidon 120V.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the G45 + 212EVO or should I choose the GD65 with the Seidon 120V?

Azulsky

I keep getting "Game Name has stopped working" while playing video games. No clue what it is, it's frustrating me. Just crashes right to desktop. Video card is stable in Furmark and Valley and CPU is stable 1 hour in Prime blend.

So...

First guess is Video Drivers

Are these generating error reports

Control Panel >> Admin Tools >> Event Viewer >> Windows Logs >> Application; then look for Errors, big red exclamation marks

Pjsprojects

It will in some games, not in others. A GPU upgrade will help in a lot of games, overclocking your CPU would also help but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but still reasonable when OC'd.

Good advice on the overclock it is somthing i want to do but when i go into bios i don't have any options to manage voltage or cpu speed which seems odd?? this is an old server a HP xw4600 that i upgraded so maybe thats why bios is limited?

Lum1n3s

Hi guys, I bought my motherboard from Newegg not too long ago probably about a week ago and yesterday I finally bought my CPU. I start taking out the motherboard and low and behold there was no I/O shield panel for it! So, I ended up calling Newegg and filing an RMA. Should delay putting everything in about a week now thanks to that -____-. Has anyone ever had that happen before?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I finally have the money to start building my new PC.

For the motherbord I was thinking about ordering a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming for £113.76 and the for the CPU cooler I was thinking about getting the CoolerMaster 212 EVO for ~£26, but now I have the chance of buying MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING for something around £153 and they offer the Coolmaster Seidon 120V.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with the G45 + 212EVO or should I choose the GD65 with the Seidon 120V?
If you are comfortable with that AIO (and will actually make use of it 4.5-4.6Ghz at higher volts) then go for it. It'll be more noisy than a well controlled air cooler fan though.
Hi guys, I bought my motherboard from Newegg not too long ago probably about a week ago and yesterday I finally bought my CPU. I start taking out the motherboard and low and behold there was no I/O shield panel for it! So, I ended up calling Newegg and filing an RMA. Should delay putting everything in about a week now thanks to that -____-. Has anyone ever had that happen before?
Really? Not hidden in the manual or something?

Hey all, I need to finally bite the bullet on something. Almost 6+ months ago, while trying to re-image a drive from a whole-disk backup in Acronis, it screwed up my main partition. Basically, if I have my backup drive plugged in, it makes the computer go batshit haywire -- like it messed up the master boot record. If I leave it unplugged, it runs fine, sans some usual freezing/hard-locks I occasionally get.

Anyways, think I'm going to finally wipe the drive and start over with a fresh install of Windows 8; I'd be coming from 7.

What I'd really appreciate are some reminders on what I should back up or make a list of to make the process faster. Thankfully, I keep all the My folders on a separate drive, so that's one less concern. But I always tend to forget something when I wipe a drive, so having any sort of checklist or reminder would be super helpful.

I've put this off long enough.

Lum1n3s

If you are comfortable with that AIO (and will actually make use of it 4.5-4.6Ghz at higher volts) then go for it. It'll be more noisy than a well controlled air cooler fan though.

Really? Not hidden in the manual or something?
I scoured that entire box and nothing! I thought motherboard boxes normally have stickers that prevent you from opening them which I know mine didn't have.

Casanova

Should I overclock my current PC to optimize performance or is this just plain suicide?
Intro:

I have no idea how to overclock or what it is even, I just know that it can give you the best possible performance out of your computer - I want to optimize my shitty PC for the best possible performance while I'm building my new PC progressively over the next 6 months or so.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to my question, but just in case, here are my current, albeit awful, specs:

Machine name: USER-6E7D75B11B
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 832MB used, 3421MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

AMD ATI Radeon HD 5450

What say you?

Tablo

Should I overclock my current PC to optimize performance or is this just plain suicide?
Intro:

I have no idea how to overclock or what it is even, I just know that it can give you the best possible performance out of your computer - I want to optimize my shitty PC for the best possible performance while I'm building my new PC progressively over the next 6 months or so.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to my question, but just in case, here are my current, albeit awful, specs:

Machine name: USER-6E7D75B11B
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 832MB used, 3421MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

AMD ATI Radeon HD 5450

What say you?

It's more or less a lost cause, only think you could do is add an SSD and more RAM, maybe do a fresh install of windows too. What are you building over the next sixth months? Haswell rig I'm assuming?

Banglish

Hey guys, I just got a g400s, liking it so far. First gaming mouse I've had. Although, I did find the 2012 deathadder for $40. Any experience with the deathadder? My hands are on the smaller side and I'm looking for a comfortable palm grip.

gblues

Banned
The motherboard is the BioStar Hi-Fi Z87W.

The BSOD is different every time, and completely random. At first I thought it was a bad driver because I had simply cloned my install on the other MB and figured maybe some driver was hanging around.

Some of the crashes were in filesystem-related drivers, so I thought it could be the SSD. I eliminated that by doing a clean install to a blank HDD.

So, now I've pulled one of the sticks out. If it becomes stable, I will have to RMA the RAM. I wonder if Crucial will replace just a single stick? I know NewEgg will want both sticks back.

Well, so far, so good.

I pulled out one of the sticks and it seemed to stabilize. I blew out the RAM slot and firmly reseated the second module, and no trouble so far. I had also changed the command rate from 1T to 2T. I'm not sure which did the trick. I'm just glad not to need an RMA because Newegg would require me to send both modules back together.

Got DSfix updated and enjoyed some Dark Souls, and a nice stable OC to 4.3Ghz. Might try to push it a bit further tomorrow.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I too am interested in the 290x, however we really need to wait for NDA's to be expire so we can get some clarity on their Crossfire situation. I wouldn't upgrade to dual Titans at this point. If you want to go that route you'd be better served getting 780s. You don't need the 670 as a dedicated Physx card. SLI 780s or Titans are plenty.

Any reason why you didn't think of the 780 and are thinking of Titans?
This is all still in the early thought process. I've done this the last few years around this time. I'm merely beginning to look into this since most of my big spending comes around February. I like to be ahead of the game and know what I'm getting into and both Titans and 780's are both in the running but as you noted, I need to see some benches and reviews of the 290X. My main issue with the Titans is price. I spent almost 2k on PC parts this year and next year I will have almost all the same budget but for GPU's and probably a 4TB HDD. Want to make this count.

How easy is it even to get Physx working with AMD cards and having Nvidia card in the system too? From reading, it's a bit of a hassle, having to mess with hacked drivers and stuff. If you go Titans don't bother with the dedicated Physx, they are more than enough.

If you go AMD, you might wanna check just how easy is it to set up as physx cards.

Thinking about this more, I believe you need special custom drivers so the hassle might not be worth it. I love me some downsampling as well so it's not easy for me to just assume AMD will be it but that 290X sure does have my attention.

Sora2k7

Hey guys, I just got a g400s, liking it so far. First gaming mouse I've had. Although, I did find the 2012 deathadder for $40. Any experience with the deathadder? My hands are on the smaller side and I'm looking for a comfortable palm grip.

I have a Deathadder and everyone I know that tried it loves it.

TheD

The Detective
You can not use the hacked drivers that allow you to use an Nvidia card while rendering with an AMD one in games that use Physx 3.

Milamber

Small question on PhysX on Nvidia. I recently got a GTX 770 to replace my broken fan GTX 460.

Replaced my fan on the GTX 460 and it is now working great and I want to turn it into a dedicated PhysX card. How much of an increase do I actually get? Is it feasible?

I also got a spare 8800 GT lying around that is supported in the PhysX Supported GPU's list. Can that be used as a 460 may be overkill?

I'm using a MSI Z87-G45 GAMING motherboard so it is SLI compatible if that is any indication. I just don't know.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so I'm probably going to buy a laptop in the next couple of days... most of them seems to be 1366x768 - but I have this 1080p-monitor that I want to hook it up with. Will it work with the graphics card of the laptop?

I'm talking like Intel HD 4400 and others alike.

LordAlu

Okay so I'm probably going to buy a laptop in the next couple of days... most of them seems to be 1366x768 - but I have this 1080p-monitor that I want to hook it up with. Will it work with the graphics card of the laptop?

I'm talking like Intel HD 4400 and others alike.
You should be fine - so long as you choose the output setting on the laptop that disables the laptop's screen then it should only see the monitor and will set itself to the native display of the connected monitor whether it's lower or higher res.

Gaf I think it is time for a new processor. If memory serves, I have the discontinued Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz. Now my PC is my baby and I wanna treat it right. I have a GTX 670 and 8 gigs of RAM. Where should I go from here?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes, but you want something like a GTX 750M if possible imo.
Gaf I think it is time for a new processor. If memory serves, I have the discontinued Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz. Now my PC is my baby and I wanna treat it right. I have a GTX 670 and 8 gigs of RAM. Where should I go from here?
What's your motherboard? Check if it's compatible with Ivy and look at either a 2500K, 2600K, 3570K or 3770K and overclock it.
Small question on PhysX on Nvidia. I recently got a GTX 770 to replace my broken fan GTX 460.

Replaced my fan on the GTX 460 and it is now working great and I want to turn it into a dedicated PhysX card. How much of an increase do I actually get? Is it feasible?

I also got a spare 8800 GT lying around that is supported in the PhysX Supported GPU's list. Can that be used as a 460 may be overkill?

I'm using a MSI Z87-G45 GAMING motherboard so it is SLI compatible if that is any indication. I just don't know.
IIRC a 650 or something is what can help so I don't think a 8800GT is that great an option, but the 460 isn't exactly power friendly.
TBH I have a 460 lying around with a GTX670 and I wouldn't put in the 460 for PhysX, it's not worth the extra power and heat either out of use or in use imo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes, but you want something like a GTX 750M if possible imo.
I'm only going to hook it up to a 1080p monitor for photoshop though, no gaming at all. Is it still decent enough?

Eusis

You can not use the hacked drivers that allow you to use an Nvidia card while rendering with an AMD one in games that use Physx 3.
I presume they didn't feel there was much of a need to keep updating, though now that may be the case.

It is probably the single most frustrating aspect of PC gaming though, the fact that you really may lock yourself out of certain benefits because of this sort of exclusivity BS, not like game consoles where it's just an additional investment for a complete box you can swap between AT WORST rather than a computer component that's more of a serious long term commitment. Nevermind that as a result fewer games make as much use of that stuff.

Milamber

IIRC a 650 or something is what can help so I don't think a 8800GT is that great an option, but the 460 isn't exactly power friendly.
TBH I have a 460 lying around with a GTX670 and I wouldn't put in the 460 for PhysX, it's not worth the extra power and heat either out of use or in use imo.

Aww, looks like I'm out for having a dedicated PhysX card setup then. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Aww, looks like I'm out for having a dedicated PhysX card setup then. Thanks.
You can use it and it will probably help a little, but the benefits are far less than the positives overall imo. Up to you! If you do find yourself wanting a bit more frames with PhysX in a game, go ahead and pop it in if you like. The 460 will do a much better job if you don't plan on getting rid of it.

Monitor-gaf. Got a vg23ah right now, really happy with it, but starting to eye up 1440p monitors possibly for next year. Is the Viewsonic VP2770-LED in the OP still considered a good one? Looked at the dell u2713hm & the asus pb278q, but I saw lots of mentions of poor quality control and simply the viewsonic is better. I don't think I can get the monoprice monitor here in the uk. Nothing new has come out and blown the viewsonic away? Input lag seems decent.

n0n44m

(damn cellphone cam)

2013-09-2918.24.500zjrz.jpg

awww yes total silence achieved :)

new:
-Corsair AX860 PSU (Platinum) with a fan that only spins at above 50% load
-Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB & RAID-0 Samsung 830 256GB (latter on SATA2 though, still fast) , removed the two HDD's and moving those to a Synology NAS elsewhere in the house

only thing making the slightest amount of sound now are the two pumps. 140 intake fan and nine 120 radiator fans run at ~400 rpm on idle, so those are noiseless (all temperature controlled so they ramp up when gaming).

just in time for BF4 I guess ... haven't had much time to do any gaming lately :(

mug

Honestly the dedicated Physx is rather pointless if you have a 770. If anything you'll get a 3-5% boost while consuming a considerable amount of energy in the process.

Jordoon

^ My comp
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Not sure what my motherboard is, but I'm looking to upgrade my GPU and have no experience with building PC's. Can anyone tell me if it is as simple as just plugging this in and it will work just fine? Maybe I need better cooling or maybe my CPU isn't good enough? Any tips or advice would be awesome as I am a noob with PC's.

Thanks.

kharma45

^ My comp
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

Not sure what my motherboard is, but I'm looking to upgrade my GPU and have no experience with building PC's. Can anyone tell me if it is as simple as just plugging this in and it will work just fine? Maybe I need better cooling or maybe my CPU isn't good enough? Any tips or advice would be awesome as I am a noob with PC's.

Thanks.

It'll all depend on your PSU. Able to take a picture of it where it shows the wattage and the amps on the 12v rail?

Smokey

This is all still in the early thought process. I've done this the last few years around this time. I'm merely beginning to look into this since most of my big spending comes around February. I like to be ahead of the game and know what I'm getting into and both Titans and 780's are both in the running but as you noted, I need to see some benches and reviews of the 290X. My main issue with the Titans is price. I spent almost 2k on PC parts this year and next year I will have almost all the same budget but for GPU's and probably a 4TB HDD. Want to make this count.

The Titan only made sense, imo, when the 780 wasn't available. Or if you want a Nvidia Surround setup. Given the price difference between the 780 and Titan versus the performance between the two I wouldn't jump on the Titan SLI train at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom