• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's time to officially say goodbye to downsampling. I'm going to upgrade from Catalyst 13.6 to 13.10 Beta 2 for BF4 Beta. I knew this time would come. :(

Dr.Acula

Banned
Small question on PhysX on Nvidia. I recently got a GTX 770 to replace my broken fan GTX 460.

Replaced my fan on the GTX 460 and it is now working great and I want to turn it into a dedicated PhysX card. How much of an increase do I actually get? Is it feasible?

I made the same upgrade you did! Honestly, even with a 770, Metro 2033 runs like crazy with everything on +PhysX, so it's not so much of a deal.

Would anyone here be interested in seeing a build log posted for a mATX box installed in a 30mm ammunition can?

I like seeing builds!

timnich

Quick question, I am about to replace the main hard drive of my PC with a new one. I am planning on using the old one in another PC, and am going to do a fresh install Windows 7 on both PCs. What is the best way to do this? Should I format my drive before putting the new one in?

TheD

The Detective
So they did a successful full block? Was hoping it was impossible, but I guess even if it is they got close enough. Figures.

No idea if nvidia has made a fool proof way of blocking it (I doubt it), only that the newer drivers they have got it to work with will only do it for Physx 2 and not 3.

Eusis

No idea if nvidia has made a fool proof way of blocking it (I doubt it), only that the newer drivers they have got it to work with will only do it for Physx 2 and not 3.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of an accidental fool proofing, that it's now so deeply intwined with nVidia graphics rendering that you couldn't really decouple it anymore, which wouldn't surprise me as they probably would want to integrate the functionality into normal graphics rendering. Someone can break apart how well that holds up though, and if so how exactly it'd probably work.

... Anyways, decided to test the 331 beta drivers on my 560 ti anyway, albeit after some DriverSweeper use and disabling hardware assisted rendering for my browsers. If this works smoothly then I'll definitely hold off on a video card update, but if not then I guess I'll be looking into what's good come Christmas time.

Parsnip

If you have decent RAM (DDR3 1600 or better), should be pretty easy. Set your multiplier to 20, your base clock to 180, your ram multiplier to 8, QPI to 16, disable turbo boost, EIST, CxE, and leave everything else to default/AUTO. See if it posts. If it doesn't, first thing you're gonna wanna look at is your RAM. Make sure the timings are set to spec and up the voltage to 1.65V. If it still doesn't post, gradually up your VCore, VTT, until it does.

Thanks mate, going to probably try this out tomorrow.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I could see the 7970 drop to $250 to get them shifted as the rebrand of it is $299. Can't see the 7950 going much lower than the $180-200 it is at already.

I wanted to buy a sapphire that is 200 after rebate. Though I'm ticked about nvidia rumors of new cut down cards that will compete with the new amds cards. Which means more waiting I'm really regretting sticking with this 560 when I could've gotten a good 600 series with the rest of my new pc parts in in the bundles I was seeing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The Titan only made sense, imo, when the 780 wasn't available. Or if you want a Nvidia Surround setup. Given the price difference between the 780 and Titan versus the performance between the two I wouldn't jump on the Titan SLI train at this time.

I will keep that advice handy. I want close to the best of the best but within reason. I'm not going to blindly throw an extra 400+ dollars on the difference in price for a meager performance gain. I do like that 6GB GDDR5 in the Titan.

Hawk269

I will keep that advice handy. I want close to the best of the best but within reason. I'm not going to blindly throw an extra 400+ dollars on the difference in price for a meager performance gain. I do like that 6GB GDDR5 in the Titan.

What is the timeframe for your purchase? Rumor's are swirling of some possible price drops on some of the Nvidia GPU's, so you might want to wait if you are not in a hurry. I have 2 Titans myself and they are great cards.

Tablo

For Nvidia loyalists it only makes sense to hold out for 28nm Maxwell, if you're that badly in need of an upgrade a 760 could hold you over for the fall/winter gaming season. It's not only about raw power, but DX 11.2 features and some other stuff.

What's a good quiet fan cooler for an Intel CPU? I'm using the stock cooler that came with it and it's definitely the loudest thing in my case.

Rufus

Hello peoples.

To those who still remember my problem from a few weeks ago with my PC suddenly shutting down, then not booting up any more: Yes, it was the PSU.

kharma45

I guess it's time to officially say goodbye to downsampling. I'm going to upgrade from Catalyst 13.6 to 13.10 Beta 2 for BF4 Beta. I knew this time would come. :(

What's the advantage of 13.10 for BF4? Just downloading the beta now. Is it just a Crossfire profile going by articles on it?

Garteal

Honestly, the 120hz is a pretty big thing. And that BenQ model is one of the best (also PWM-free) and it has better colors than the more expensive Asus VG248QE.

It's worth the extra €100 imo, although it depends on your needs. 60hz IPS monitors etc still have the edge in colors, 120hz is just TN atm.
Thanks Dawg. I also check some video reviews on the monitor and it seems like it has some issues with trailing/ghosting, etc. It'd be nice if someone has first-hand experience with this to share how bad it really is.

Chakvr2

Neo Member
Thinking of getting another 7870 to crossfire if the prices go down a bit but worried a bit about my PSU.

I have a Corsair CX600M and on AMD's website it says a 7870 crossfire requires at least 600w so I'm on the bare minimum. Does anyone know how much headroom AMD's 600w recommendation has for other things like cpu, mobo,fans etc.?

I'm guessing 600w is probably not ideal when the cards are on load but I'd like to avoid getting a new PSU if I can.

Ty4on

^^^Crossfire is kinda crappy still at the moment. It's either way not a high end card so I'd sell it and go for a 7970 or wait for the R9 290X. Either way the 7870 tops out at around 170W so two would alone draw over 300W.

I shouldn't buy it (don't need it other than for hypothetical rigs), but is the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 450W not total crap? Non modular, but with a five year warrenty and sold at like 40% off in one store.

kharma45

Thinking of getting another 7870 to crossfire if the prices go down a bit but worried a bit about my PSU.

I have a Corsair CX600M and on AMD's website it says a 7870 crossfire requires at least 600w so I'm on the bare minimum. Does anyone know how much headroom AMD's 600w recommendation has for other things like cpu, mobo,fans etc.?

I'm guessing 600w is probably not ideal when the cards are on load but I'd like to avoid getting a new PSU if I can.

I'd probably not recommend it on the 600w version of that. On a better quality PSU yes but the CX models aren't the best so I'd not want to be stressing it too much.

Chakvr2

Neo Member
Ok thanks for the help guys, I guess I will get a 7970 at some point instead then as it's price seems to be coming down and works with my PSU.

Also do you guys have any experience using the reference models of GPUs? Seen some floating around on ebay for about £40-50 less than the non-reference versions.

Ty4on, my friend had the 550w version of that PSU and it failed within 2 months but then again he might just have been unlucky.

Dawg

Thanks Dawg. I also check some video reviews on the monitor and it seems like it has some issues with trailing/ghosting, etc. It'd be nice if someone has first-hand experience with this to share how bad it really is.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to order mine so I can't share any personal experience yet. No idea if anyone in this thread has one.

Here's a good review about the ghosting etc though: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2411t

Could you possibly share the video review about trailing/ghosting? I do know a lot of monitors suffer from that (especially 60hz screens) but I'd like to know more about this one. I do know it has some inverse ghosting, but the AMA High setting reduced it greatly.

kharma45

Ok thanks for the help guys, I guess I will get a 7970 at some point instead then as it's price seems to be coming down and works with my PSU.

Also do you guys have any experience using the reference models of GPUs? Seen some floating around on ebay for about £40-50 less than the non-reference versions.

Ty4on, my friend had the 550w version of that PSU and it failed within 2 months but then again he might just have been unlucky.

They're hot and noisy, avoid them.

Reckoner

The gpu arrived today and came with a coupon to another AMD promo, that one with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Now Amazon just has to ship my motherboard today for it to arrive this week. If they don't ship it probably I'll cancel it and buy from a local store.

btw, I have this monitor with me right now. do you guys think it is good enough?

kharma45

The gpu arrived today and came with a coupon to another AMD promo, that one with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Now Amazon just has to ship my motherboard today for it to arrive this week. If they don't ship it probably I'll cancel it and buy from a local store.

btw, I have this monitor with me right now. do you guys think it is good enough?

Yeah that monitor will be fine.

Chum

It's been awhile since I've checked this thread and plan on building a new PC in late Oct/early Nov. I see the build worksheet now lists Haswells instead of Ivy Bridge parts for the majority of builds - what's the reasoning behind the change? Admittedly I haven't been following component news closely but I thought there were heat/performance concerns with the Haswells.

Also have a quick question about video cards. I'm currently using two 24" monitors (1600x1200) and my GTX570 is starting to show its age. Would a single 7970 (or equivalent R2xx) be an adequate upgrade for gaming (BF4, misc Steam)?

kharma45

It's been awhile since I've checked this thread and plan on building a new PC in late Oct/early Nov. I see the build worksheet now lists Haswells instead of Ivy Bridge parts for the majority of builds - what's the reasoning behind the change? Admittedly I haven't been following component news closely but I thought there were heat/performance concerns with the Haswells.

Also have a quick question about video cards. I'm currently using two 24" monitors (1600x1200) and my GTX570 is starting to show its age. Would a single 7970 (or equivalent R2xx) be an adequate upgrade for gaming (BF4, misc Steam)?

Prices have changed and some Ivy Bridge mobos are harder to find now. All depends on the price when you come to buy, it chops and changes regularly. I'd just grab whatever is cheapest at your point of purchase unless you are into emulating PS2/Wii games where Haswell has a major advantage.

Do you play with both monitors at the same time in games? Surely that's a bad set-up with the middle of the screen being a bezel?

Chum

Do you play with both monitors at the same time in games? Surely that's a bad set-up with the middle of the screen being a bezel?

I don't - single monitor gaming only. But I do notice slowness when in 2D (desktop) mode if I'm playing a vid on the second monitor and working on the first.

Appreciate the info re: CPUs. I don't do any emulation so I'll likely just sniff out the best price.

kharma45

I don't - single monitor gaming only. But I do notice slowness when in 2D (desktop) mode if I'm playing a vid on the second monitor and working on the first.

Appreciate the info re: CPUs. I don't do any emulation so I'll likely just sniff out the best price.

Ah right grand. Yeah a 7970 would be a fantastic upgrade over the 570. Odd that it's giving you slowness, my 7850 hasn't had any issues like that nor my brothers and the 570 is close enough to them performance wise.

I'd probably not recommend it on the 600w version of that. On a better quality PSU yes but the CX models aren't the best so I'd not want to be stressing it too much.

We've been through this. Even though the CX and CXM are both on the CWT DSAII platform, CXM are higher quality Japanese capacitors, have a better PWM controller and more FETs than the non-modular CX line. The CX600M will handle it perfectly fine.

Mideon

We've been through this. Even though the CX and CXM are both on the CWT DSAII platform, CXM are higher quality Japanese capacitors, have a better PWM controller and more FETs than the non-modular CX line. The CX600M will handle it perfectly fine.

Mine stopped working within a week and the reviews on Amazon UK suggest many people have had the same issue.

kharma45

Still plenty of DOA units and ones that die well within the first year. Japanese caps or not, it's still not that great a unit. Also the unit isn't totally Japanese caps either, there are ones from CapXon in there too.

Also worth noting from the TPU review about the hold up time of the CXM line where it falls well below ATX specs

hold_up_time.gif

They're still extremely mediocre units and I can't really recommend them in most instances.

maneil99

I had a weirdi ssue with the new Nvidia Drivers ( BETA ) and BF3. My game randomly froze and had artifacts, had to do a fresh reboot, considering my OC is stable in everything and it wasn't a driver crash is it a driver issue most likely? GPU being pushed too hard or maybe its dying? I am running a 780 GTX 1.212v/1256/6600

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yesterday I got my first mechanical keyboard and today I got my first usb 3.0 flash drive. Feels good to get with the times :)

coughlanio

Priced out a rig I might get in a few months. The BF4 benches, although the game is sponsored by AMD, makes me think having an 8-core AMD might not be such a bad thing in the coming generation, due to optimizations made for the future consoles.

The 7970 is just there as a placeholder for the R9-280X, which will hopefully come in at a similar price.

What do you guys think? I've always been a bit of an AMD fan, so keep that in mind :p

maneil99

Priced out a rig I might get in a few months. The BF4 benches, although the game is sponsored by AMD, makes me think having an 8-core AMD might not be such a bad thing in the coming generation, due to optimizations made for the future consoles.

The 7970 is just there as a placeholder for the R9-280X, which will hopefully come in at a similar price.

What do you guys think? I've always been a bit of an AMD fan, so keep that in mind :p

I wouldn't take BF4 as a sign although I think AMD will gain a slight increase due to consoles but not what others think. BF4/BF3/BC2 all worked better on AMD then most games

Reckoner

If you're in no rush wait for it to launch.

Only change to Never Settle of late is the addition of SR IV, I'd expect BF4 to come near the end of October.

I have a coupon for that one where you choose three games and for the other one that offers bioshock, crysis and blood dragon. can I use the later without worrying of them swaping one of the games for bf4?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What is the timeframe for your purchase? Rumor's are swirling of some possible price drops on some of the Nvidia GPU's, so you might want to wait if you are not in a hurry. I have 2 Titans myself and they are great cards.

Early February of next year is when I will likely make the call. It's going to be either 2 290X's or something equivalent and price friendly on the nvidia site. I have already contacted a friend who sold me my 670's to see if he will have anything around that time so I'm hoping to score some either 780's or better but for a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom