• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordoon

Let's see, Dell Inspiron 660 Power Supply 300W PSU B300NM-00....

Nope. That GTX 760 you want will not be able to be powered by that PSU. It needs a new 650 W PSU with one 6-pin and one 8-pin power connector.

Ok, thanks for the help. You have random Dell power supplies just lying around?

edit: Would this work?

Shambles

Nope. That GTX 760 you want will not be able to be powered by that PSU. It needs a new 650 W PSU with one 6-pin and one 8-pin power connector.

650W PSU for a 760? That's overkill. His system will probably never peak above 300W. He will need to replace the Dell PSU though just for a proper 8 and 6pin connection though.

kharma45

Hope this helps. Thanks for the quick response btw.

No don't use that.

You don't need 650w for a 760.

Ok, thanks for the help. You have random Dell power supplies just lying around?

edit: Would this work?

Shite PSU. Get this for $43.99 after rebate http://www.ncix.ca/products/?affili...5&vpn=P1550SXXB9&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1377

Anyone using any aftermarket GPU cooling options?

My 680 SLI is doing the job in terms of frames but the temps on my main card can hit 90 on really taxing games.

I'm hearing good things about some GPU cooling options but I don't have a lot of experience with them. Are they hard to install?

Shambles

Is there a PSU under 500 W with a 6 & 8 pin rail for a GTX 760?

I'm not sure exactly what's out there now when I bought my GTX 670 (Which is going to have a very similar power consumption to the 760) I found I there weren't any good lower wattage options with decent connectors. It is possible to string a 6-pin PCI connector with an adapter that hooks into 2 molex connections but I wanted to stay away from that if I could. I ended up buying a BP550 and am running an overclocked GPU with an overclocked 3570K on it.

Im learning about different cables. I know what the difference between DVI-I and DVI- D is. However, can a DVI-I cable be hooked into a DVI-D port? What about DVI-D to DVI-I?

mug

Hey guys, what do you think, is Core i5-750 cpu (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) at stock clocks enough for gaming?
Should be ok depending on what type of gaming you're interested in as well as what resolution and desired frame rate. There are a lot of factors to take into account.

Smokey

Anyone using any aftermarket GPU cooling options?

My 680 SLI is doing the job in terms of frames but the temps on my main card can hit 90 on really taxing games.

I'm hearing good things about some GPU cooling options but I don't have a lot of experience with them. Are they hard to install?

If you don't have cards that exhaust air out of the case, nothing is really going to help all that much with SLI temps

LordAlu

Im learning about different cables. I know what the difference between DVI-I and DVI- D is. However, can a DVI-I cable be hooked into a DVI-D port? What about DVI-D to DVI-I?
A DVI-I cable cannot be connected to a DVI-D port, but a DVI-D cable can be connected to a DVI-I port. The DVI-I cable can't connect because it has four more pins than a DVI-D port would have as well as a slightly wider long pin.

Thorgal

Do you think my non over klockable 3770 locked on 3.4 ghz is gonna experience problems later on for new games or will it be fine for a long time?

kharma45

Hey guys, what do you think, is Core i5-750 cpu (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) at stock clocks enough for gaming?

Overclock overclock overclock.

That CPU is good to get to 3.8-4GHz. Really, really worth doing.

Do you think my non over klockable 3770 locked on 3.4 ghz is gonna experience problems later on for new games or will it be fine for a long time?

It'll be good for a while yet.

Crisco

Banned

Yeah, definitely OC it to at least 3.5-3.6ghz, which should be doable without much more voltage over stock if any. After that diminishing returns kick in.

teiresias

Hmmm, thinking of jumping on this Windows 8 Pro Upgrade deal at Newegg for $39.99 even though I haven't liked what I've used of it on my mom's new laptop or my dad's new PC build.

However, neither of them have either ClassicShell or Start8 installed, so I'm wondering if I'd find it tolerable doing so. Anyone have any opinions? Worth it at that price? Might make me want to go out and get a Leap Motion, haha!!

LordAlu

Hmmm, thinking of jumping on this Windows 8 Pro Upgrade deal at Newegg for $39.99 even though I haven't liked what I've used of it on my mom's new laptop or my dad's new PC build.

However, neither of them have either ClassicShell or Start8 installed, so I'm wondering if I'd find it tolerable doing so. Anyone have any opinions? Worth it at that price? Might make me want to go out and get a Leap Motion, haha!!
I have Windows 8 with ClassicShell and it is essentially like using Windows 7 - I don't see any of the Metro interface at all.

If you don't have cards that exhaust air out of the case, nothing is really going to help all that much with SLI temps

welp

either I have to go open case to cool these suckers off, try a longer sli bridge to see if that helps (mainly its the primary card with the high temps) or just let em melt down...

Tablo

How far should I try to OC my 3570K on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4? Cooler is a CM 212+ Evo

I would think 4.2 to 4.4 should be feasible and have a decent IPC boost. Though if you got an especially good chip higher could be possible, maybe with a better cooler.

Dawg

NoRéN;84122441 said:
So, good time to upgrade an amd GPU or wait for the new stuff? New games for the never settle bundle?

Imho, wait for new stuff. If anything, prices of older cards will go down.

Cryst

How far should I try to OC my 3570K on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4? Cooler is a CM 212+ Evo

I have that setup at 4.2 with my chip, not-delidded. Temps are great and could likely push just a bit higher, but I'm happy where it is now, especially with just the Evo. Doesn't seem worth it to pay for a better air cooler to squeeze out 3 degrees of better cooling.

kharma45

NoRéN;84122441 said:
So, good time to upgrade an amd GPU or wait for the new stuff? New games for the never settle bundle?

If you're in no rush wait for it to launch.

Only change to Never Settle of late is the addition of SR IV, I'd expect BF4 to come near the end of October.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Imho, wait for new stuff. If anything, prices of older cards will go down.

Unfortunately until they are announced people are getting itchy waiting. I was going to buy the new generation but really don't want to wait 3 weeks for reviews to know where I should place my 300$ I want to spend.

Card prices are dropping I've seen 7950 and 7970 drop from the high 300$ or 400$ I was seeing models at just at the beginning of the year or even this summer. Can't believe those prices might go down even more considering the performance value of either card.

I have that setup at 4.2 with my chip, not-delidded. Temps are great and could likely push just a bit higher, but I'm happy where it is now, especially with just the Evo. Doesn't seem worth it to pay for a better air cooler to squeeze out 3 degrees of better cooling.

Don't have your mobo but am using 3570 at 4.3 gigs with the same cool and I agree with the premise. Unless you're pushing that much higher I don't see a reason to get better cooling especially if what you have already works.

kharma45

Unfortunately until they are announced people are getting itchy waiting. I was going to buy the new generation but really don't want to wait 3 weeks for reviews to know where I should place my 300$ I want to spend.

Card prices are dropping I've seen 7950 and 7970 drop from the high 300$ or 400$ I was seeing models at just at the beginning of the year or even this summer. Can't believe those prices might go down even more considering the performance value of either card.

I could see the 7970 drop to $250 to get them shifted as the rebrand of it is $299. Can't see the 7950 going much lower than the $180-200 it is at already.

Parsnip

Should be ok depending on what type of gaming you're interested in as well as what resolution and desired frame rate. There are a lot of factors to take into account.
Overclock overclock overclock.

That CPU is good to get to 3.8-4GHz. Really, really worth doing.
Yeah, definitely OC it to at least 3.5-3.6ghz, which should be doable without much more voltage over stock if any. After that diminishing returns kick in.
Alright, sounds good. I'm already running an aftermarket Noctua cooler because it's so much more silent than the stock cooler was, might as well get some more use out of it.

Any recommended guides? Googling about overclocking this specific cpu yields some seemingly good results, but I probably couldn't tell even if the guide was bad. I also looked at the Race Your PC thread, but it just so happens that the "P55/Lynnfield Overclocking Guide" linked there is a dead link. :D

I installed 3DMark demo on Steam in order to run some before/after tests and grabbed the stress test utilities from the OP as well.

Any and all pointers are appreciated. :)

Crisco

Banned
Alright, sounds good. I'm already running an aftermarket Noctua cooler because it's so much more silent than the stock cooler was, might as well get some more use out of it.

Any recommended guides? Googling about overclocking this specific cpu yields some seemingly good results, but I probably couldn't tell even if the guide was bad. I also looked at the Race Your PC thread, but it just so happens that the "P55/Lynnfield Overclocking Guide" linked there is a dead link. :D

I installed 3DMark demo on Steam in order to run some before/after tests and grabbed the stress test utilities from the OP as well.

Any and all pointers are appreciated. :)

If you have decent RAM (DDR3 1600 or better), should be pretty easy. Set your multiplier to 20, your base clock to 180, your ram multiplier to 8, QPI to 16, disable turbo boost, EIST, CxE, and leave everything else to default/AUTO. See if it posts. If it doesn't, first thing you're gonna wanna look at is your RAM. Make sure the timings are set to spec and up the voltage to 1.65V. If it still doesn't post, gradually up your VCore, VTT, until it does.

Garteal

So my monitor is dying. It's flickering (getting dim and and 'normal') and makes a weird noise. Now the screen seems to have dimmed in some parts of the screen and is getting a green-ish tint.

Time for a new monitor.
I've seen the suggestions in the OP but would like to know what your suggestions are.
(Feel free to recommend something other than the ones I've listed)

I've been looking at reviews for IPS monitors and Hardware.Info recommends a LG Flatron 23EA63V-P priced at around €163,99 for gaming etc. I really don't want a LG monitor due to the bad experiences I've had with them.
(The monitor I had before this started malfunctioning and I got them to swap it for the one I have now. Their support is good yes, but their monitors not so much.)

I've picked two that were still available in the shops here from the ones suggested in the OP.
  1. ASUS VS247H-P (~€161,20)
  2. BenQ XL2411T (~€268,90)
I figured since I'm getting a monitor anyway I'd also look at the more expensive options. Is the 3D support and 120hz worth the €100?

Dawg

Honestly, the 120hz is a pretty big thing. And that BenQ model is one of the best (also PWM-free) and it has better colors than the more expensive Asus VG248QE.

It's worth the extra €100 imo, although it depends on your needs. 60hz IPS monitors etc still have the edge in colors, 120hz is just TN atm.

Pakkidis

amd fx 8350 vs i5-3570?

Thoughts?

Both seem to be somewhat equal each having their own advantages vs disadvantages. Not sure what to go with.

gatti-man

Pretty sure I'm upgrading from a 7970 ghz edition to a 290x. Those gains at 2560 resolution are right up my alley plus I digs me some bf4.

Smokey

welp

either I have to go open case to cool these suckers off, try a longer sli bridge to see if that helps (mainly its the primary card with the high temps) or just let em melt down...

Primary card because those fans are blowing directly onto the second card. When doing SLI you should go for cards that exhaust that heat out of the case versus those that dispense inside

rookie mistake :p

Azulsky

Primary card because those fans are blowing directly onto the second card. When doing SLI you should go for cards that exhaust that heat out of the case versus those that dispense inside

rookie mistake :p

This only applies if you have a nice Blower like the Titan reference one. The rest of the series i wouldn't say are better unless you are in a SFF(matx sli) case.

I am getting better temps with the 780's with ACX coolers than I ever did with my stock 470s and the 780's are easily higher TDP with the overclock.

Having the 2 slot gap in the middle is nice though

The open air coolers are otherwise going to be universally better because you can complement their performance(and you must to a certain point) with good case flow and positive pressure.

scogoth

This only applies if you have a nice Blower like the Titan reference one. The rest of the series i wouldn't say are better unless you are in a SFF(matx sli) case.

I am getting better temps with the 780's with ACX coolers than I ever did with my stock 470s and the 780's are easily higher TDP with the overclock.

Having the 2 slot gap in the middle is nice though

The open air coolers are otherwise going to be universally better because you can complement their performance(and you must to a certain point) with good case flow and positive pressure.

Not saying I agree or disagree wither way but I would like to say comparing the 400 series with 700 series is like comparing a furnace with a toaster oven. 400 series was so awesomely hot! GPUs that can up to 105C!

Azulsky

Not saying I agree or disagree wither way but I would like to say comparing the 400 series with 700 series is like comparing a furnace with a toaster oven. 400 series was so awesomely hot! GPUs that can up to 105C!

I was quite taken care of in the winter by my 470 SLI. I need to sell them off actually. You guys think they are worth $50 a pop? They might still have lifetime warranties I think EVGA still did that back in 2010.

Okay, I asked a question about DVI earlier, now Im ready to buy some! I do need a question answered though. What does Male to female, and male to male mean? Which one do I need if my GPU has DVI-D and Im trying to get it display on a monitor?

Okay, I asked a question about DVI earlier, now Im ready to buy some! I do need a question answered though. What does Male to female, and male to male mean? Which one do I need if my GPU has DVI-D and Im trying to get it display on a monitor?

You need a male-to-male cable, also known as a regular-ass cable. Think of male as the part that "plugs in," like prongs into a socket.

You need a male-to-male cable, also known as a regular-ass cable. Think of male as the part that "plugs in," like prongs into a socket.

Thanks! Im so new to this, it isnt even funny.....well okay its pretty funny. But me and my friends took apart my PC so I could learn more about it, and its really cool! Its just taking me some time to get the terminology down. I had to google the word driver to see what nvidia's experience was installing on my machine earlier lol

scogoth

I was quite taken care of in the winter by my 470 SLI. I need to sell them off actually. You guys think they are worth $50 a pop? They might still have lifetime warranties I think EVGA still did that back in 2010.

LOL I was in the exact same situation. 2x EVGA 470s with lifetime warrenty. I would try and do stupid overclock runs with them after chilling my room to -10C (thanks canada). I tried selling them but no takers. Now they sit in a drawer...

Thanks! Im so new to this, it isnt even funny.....well okay its pretty funny. But me and my friends took apart my PC so I could learn more about it, and its really cool! Its just taking me some time to get the terminology down. I had to google the word driver to see what nvidia's experience was installing on my machine earlier lol

There's no shame in not knowing the terminology and specifics, you have to start somewhere.

scogoth

Welcome to the life! Have fun, don't be afraid to ask questions and just ignore people who say its a stupid question (because this the internet and there are always those people)

There are also some great books like this one if you really want to fast track your learning. I think there is a version around the internet that doesn't cost you anything *cough*cough* >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom