• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Your Current Specs: Going in fresh. I have nothing
Budget: $1000 / US
Main Use: Rate 4/5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Prefer 60FPS, next gen games e.g. BF4, COD etc
When will you build?: Soonish (this month maybe)
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not

P.S if possible link newegg items as they deliver locally in my area

So it's just gaming then for you? If so I'd look along the lines of

Trying my best to stick to Newegg

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $922.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-07 18:35 EDT-0400)

If you're near a Microcenter better deals to be had

Right now 400 would be my absolute max. I could maybe go 5 in the near future. Mostly, I'm looking for a rig that would be decent when I get it but have lots of room to upgrade over time. Should I maybe wait until prices go down? Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Prices don't really "go down" on most stuff you'd need. The budget build can be retrofitted with about any GPU you want (though maybe you need a stronger PSU) and a quad core CPU, so you're set in that department.

Though, like I said before, buy used if the thought doesn't scare you too much.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Thanks for the list. Question though. I've never put a CPU into a motherboard. How much potential is there to screw that up lol. Also, will all the needed screws, cables etc be included. I literally have nothing. EDIT: damn also have to buy a copy of windows lol

kharma45

Thanks for the list. Question though. I've never put a CPU into a motherboard. How much potential is there to screw that up lol. Also, will all the needed screws, cables etc be included. I literally have nothing. EDIT: damn also have to buy a copy of windows lol

If you put it in the right way you can't mess it up.

All you'll need is a screw driver, everything else comes with your parts. As for Windows, know anyone in education or anything like that? Otherwise it's $90 or so.

Anton668

Thanks for the list. Question though. I've never put a CPU into a motherboard. How much potential is there to screw that up

well, the "potential" is there, but really if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing, its nil. pretty much just drop it in and lock it down. trained monkeys could do it lol

If you put it in the right way you can't mess it up.

All you'll need is a screw driver, everything else comes with your parts. As for Windows, know anyone in education or anything like that? Otherwise it's $90 or so.

If it requires just an edu email address mine still works from years ago. just used it today for a discount lol

ekim

I OCed the 7970 to 1150MHZ and get temperatures around 80 degree Celsius. Is this still ok? At unigine Valley I get at average 47fps at 1080p/8AA/16AF - I guess this is good...

BTW, do you think it will be worth it to wait for those radeon cards I keep hearing people talk about the 280x I believe? When do those come out?

kharma45

The amount of bile being spewed in these recommended specs threads is enough to make you cry

BTW, do you think it will be worth it to wait for those radeon cards I keep hearing people talk about the 280x I believe? When do those come out?

The 280X is just a 7970 re-branded, and it'll be $299. You can already get a 7970 for less than that.

Only cards worth waiting for are the 290 and 290X but they'll be over your budget.

kharma45

Soon™

hell, its been bad ever since the new consoles have been announced.

was it this bad when the last gen started?

I don't honestly remember, I can't imagine so as the consoles then were genuinely very powerful relative to the PC.

Ok. Thanks.

Btw: how do i get a code for the never settle reloaded promotion? I got the card today from a large retailer (Saturn) here in Germany.

You have to buy from a retailer to is part of the promotion and it seems that Saturn aren't http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedforever.aspx

Normally, I would welcome the new higher specs with open arms and for the most part everything seems about where I expected them except that damn CPU recommendation for Watch Dogs. That's the only one that makes me nervous and only because I'm on the verge of building a friends PC. I want it to have a nice long lasting foundation. A GPU upgrade in 3 or so years is fine but I'd feel pretty bad if his CPU wasn't up to the challenge for the bulk of the generation.

Azulsky

35-40C is normal depending on your fans and airflow.

The temp probes inside a computer get pretty inaccurate around 30C. They are calibrated around the Thermal cutoff point of whatever they are protecting because being dead accurate there is the difference between a meltdown and a functioning chip.

Also many of the review sites use external thermocouple/RTDs that they place on the die of the CPU in a small milled out slot. So they will get accurate temps that are lower than what you are seeing.

The best air for a rad is the coldest, so you preferably want to intake instead of exhaust.

I use mine for exhaust.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am so damn close on pulling the trigger on that SSF build listed in the OP with the Fractal Design Node (except I'll put my existing video card in there instead). I don't know why I'm hesitating. I want the smaller footprint, love the case, can still have tons of storage. Maybe I'm not sure on going with either the i5 or i7...

Hylian7

So my Zalman ZM-1 mic's clip broke today. It lasted about a year and a half. I'm looking for a new mic. For the ones in the OP, the Modmic 2.0 is sold out, I'm not particularly looking for a desktop mic (but I may give in and go with that), and that last one is also sold out, at least where I'm finding it.

Your Current Specs: Case (I have only that yeah)
Budget: 600€ (~820$) / Finland (Europe)
Main Use: 5/5 Gaming&Emulation(PS2&Wii), 3/5 "smooth" youtube use etc. general interneting
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Skyrim has to run with mods and good graphics. Also emulation for PS2 and Wii needs to work smoothly. No need for nextgen games!
When will you build? This year, so in 2 months at latest.
Will you be overclocking? No

vilmer_

Somethings not right here...

inqwiuOXIx4mh.png

Does anyone here have an amd fx8350?

Now with bf4 supporting 6(8?) threads and benchmark results showing it performing close to an i5 3500k in perfectly threaded benchmarks I've seen it get recommended in a few threads lately.

It blows my mind that anyone would recommend this cpu as it still has worse IPC than phenom II, and as a phenom II owner I would never ever dream of building a pc with my cpu nowadays. (it was an absolutely brilliant cpu in 2008-2009 though and the best bang for buck ever in cpu land)

The argument seems that 'it'll perform well in future games and console ports that support many threads, but that doesn't make the ugly reality that many current games perform (very) poorly on a phenom II

some of my numbers (phenom II @ 3.4ghz)

-saints row 4 : heavily cpu bottlenecked, framerate between 25 and 45 fps regardless of settings
-tera : the UI cuts my framerate in half, 25-30 fps in cities with the UI on (40 with it off) , low 30s- mid 50s in instances
-guild wars 2 : the siege modes are unplayable, as are the large public quests (single digit fps , this game will even bring a 4ghz 2500k down to low 30s)
-planetside 2 : 6-15 fps in large fights at the domes, 20-35 fps in small fights, absolutely unplayable
-natural selection 2: supports 3 threads but my fps goes down to the high 20s in busy fights at times

Those are just the games I noticed, there's others like civ5 , total war games, and I assume arma 3 that require a better cpu than what I have.

So I'm asking, does anyone have an fx 8350 and could you give me some numbers for those games if you do (especially saints row , planetside 2 and guild wars2)

I'm really curious as I imagine a cpu that performs worse clock for clock and core for core is going to perform equally shit in these games (and any other future games that aren't heavily multithreaded) , and a clockspeed increase of 20-30 percent is not going to suddenly turn those 6-15 fps in planetside into something playable.

asdad123

So Im looking to downsize a little bit. I currently have a Define R4 which is a little too large for me.

I saw the cases in the OP for itx, but I have a little dilemma. I would love for it to fit all of my hardware.

I have:

1 Crucial M4
1 3.5" 1TB HDD
1 HIS or Sapphire 7950
H80i Cooler
PC Power & Cooler Silencer MK III PSU

Any case that would fit my criteria? Im looking to spend less than $100 on the case, as Id have to buy a new mobo as well.

zoku88

So, I have a "problem".

Through work, I can get an IVB-E processor for free (6 cores, 12 threads). I'd have to purchase my own motherboard though (i think, $250 approxametly? I haven't really checked the X79 boards.)

I currently have a 2500k, and it doesn't seem like the single threaded performance would increase that much (maybe 10%?)

This would be an easy choice if I were still using Gentoo, but nowadays, I hardly compile anything. It doesn't seem like I'd really see much improvement. It doesn't seem like I'd see much improvement.

What do you guys think?

def sim

I can hold out until next fall/winter. I'd like to see where mantle goes, how nvidia will counter, and what kind of performance increase we'll see with the 20nm cards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So yeah, I always figured my Asus VN247H had a bad case of ghosting. I just couldn't find any proof. I did find some info about the VS247H, I'm going to assume it's the same monitor with a slight difference.

I noticed this monitor is being recommended in the OP, but if it's anything similar to the VN247H, I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. Really bad case of ghosting.

I found some proof too. Digitalversus states it has 26ms ghosting. Afaik, they're a trustworthy site and their ghosting tests are legit (1000fps camera). I know not everyone cares about ghosting, but isn't there a better monitor to recommend? 26ms ghosting is pretty high for games.

www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-vs247h-p11591/test.html#full-review
Thanks for posting, this is the kind of stuff that should get PM'd to me to make sure I see it.
At $155 for a 24" Panel I'm not sure of their being better choices at that price point.
The 1000 W recommended is only for crossfire. right ?
1000W only if you seriously need to drive 3-4 GPUs. I'd take a good 750/850W Gold/Plat unit anyday.
Those idles temps are normal for the newer CPUs and a CLC.
So, I have a "problem".

Through work, I can get an IVB-E processor for free (6 cores, 12 threads). I'd have to purchase my own motherboard though (i think, $250 approxametly? I haven't really checked the X79 boards.)

I currently have a 2500k, and it doesn't seem like the single threaded performance would increase that much (maybe 10%?)

This would be an easy choice if I were still using Gentoo, but nowadays, I hardly compile anything. It doesn't seem like I'd really see much improvement. It doesn't seem like I'd see much improvement.

What do you guys think?
Hmm. I'd upgrade, fuck it. You can sell your old stuff.
Well actually I wouldn't, because I hate reinstalling. But it's a good proposition.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A little part of me is tempted to sell my 7970 to a friend and buy the 290X.
BF4 hit 2GB of VRAM and it started to sputter at 1-10FPS despite going at 70-90 FPS. Got me upset.
Why are the CPU and GPU fabrications out of sync?

GPUs are trying to shrink down to 20nm while CPUs are already at 22 and aiming for 14.
Because Intel has infinity dollars (own fabs) and wants to compete on the mobile side. It also makes a lot of sense to aggressively go after power efficiency as servers make up a lot of their profits. Less so with GPUs.

GPUs and AMD have others (GF / TSMC) make their stuff for them and they need high (1Ghz+) clock speeds out of them (Which is why mobile / NAND is on 18nm). Currently due to some fab delays and problems on yields + high investment costs the small returns of going to 20nm are not worth it (And possibly won't be for a while).

Azulsky

BF4 hit 2GB of VRAM and it started to sputter at 1-10FPS despite going at 70-90 FPS. Got me upset.

Because Intel has infinity dollars (own fabs) and wants to compete on the mobile side. It also makes a lot of sense to aggressively go after power efficiency as servers make up a lot of their profits. Less so with GPUs.

GPUs and AMD have others (GF / TSMC) make their stuff for them and they need high (1Ghz+) clock speeds out of them (Which is why mobile / NAND is on 18nm). Currently due to some fab delays and problems on yields + high investment costs the small returns of going to 20nm are not worth it (And possibly won't be for a while).

It sounds like Nvidia wants to move to larger wafers before they will commit to 20nm, in order to make it economically feasible.

Currently due to some fab delays and problems on yields + high investment costs the small returns of going to 20nm are not worth it (And possibly won't be for a while).

Is this typical and we just don't hear about it publicly? Once they get over this 20nm hurdle does it then become easier to shrink farther, or does it in fact become even more difficult?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is this typical and we just don't hear about it publicly? Once they get over this 20nm hurdle does it then become easier to shrink farther, or does it in fact become even more difficult?
In the past it's made sense to do it, but the costs now make it so it's not.
Both nVidia and AMD will probably be on 28nm until they decide to change last I heard.

See: http://www.extremetech.com/computin...y-with-tsmc-claims-22nm-essentially-worthless

As you can see or read: From the slides they get almost 0 benefit and are stuck with a giant bill.
Now it's just a matter of time before someone forces something, takes a risk, or they work around things to minimize the bad, but it's not like it's been. Plus at sub 22nm things star getting frisky on stuff you have to use / fab. I've heard down to 10nm using mostly traditional materials as a possibility, but even at 22nm Intel put in tri-gate (FinFETs) to make sure they can overcome leakage problems at lower processes.

rwW2cIg.jpg

1RDizHZ.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
New AMD GPUs. Same shit. 280X for some new bundles or coolers is okay at $300. Everything else is worse sans the 260X having TRUEAUDIO.

290 pls 290X pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom