• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

Looks like i'm going to save up for a R9 270X. I'm only still using the HD 7750 because i didn't have a job when i bought it.

New AMD GPUs. Same shit. 280X for some new bundles or coolers is okay at $300. Everything else is worse sans the 260X having TRUEAUDIO.

290 pls 290X pls

Given the choice between a GTX 770 4GB or a 280X, which would be the better buy? Price notwithstanding in this case. They seem to trade blow for blow in Anand's benchmarks.

I'm looking to build a new rig.

Although I will probably hold off 2-3 months still as I figure it's and awful time to build a new PC right now.

Over the next 3-4 months we have.

New AMD GPU's
Next Gen Consoles
Beta Steam Machines
Maybe unlikely new AMD CPU's

I'm looking at these specs.

CPU / INTEL / i5-4670K / 270
GPU / ASUS / HD7970-DC2-3GD5 / 478
RAM / CORSAIR / CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB / 149
SSD / SAMSUNG / 840 Pro Series 512GB SSD / 489
MOBO / ASUS / mini ITX H87I-PLUS / 138
PSU / SEASONIC / G-650 80Plus Gold 650W / 159
CASE / BITFENIX / Prodigy / 99
KEY / MIONIX / Zibal 60 / 149
OPTICAL / PONEER / Blu-Ray BDC-207DBK / 62
MONITOR / DELL / U2413 / 749
Total 2742

Prices are in $AU I'm open to anything.

I want a miniITX set up. I'm really keen on the case, the monitor and the keyboard.

How does it look, how long should I wait.

The wait is killing me :(

Durante

Why are the CPU and GPU fabrications out of sync?

GPUs are trying to shrink down to 20nm while CPUs are already at 22 and aiming for 14.
It's not CPUs and GPUs that are out of sync, it's Intel and everyone else. Basically Intel is over a year (more like 2 now) ahead of the state of the art in terms of semiconductor fabrication.

zoku88

If you do anything cpu/threaded it's totally worth it. Edit some video or something to make yourself feel better :p

Well, I do have some blurays I can rip :p

I could also switch back to Gentoo. -j13 on everything!

I need to see if this has VT-d support. One thing I don't like about the 2500K is that it drops VT-d from the non-K version.

EDIT: Well, it does. I guess no surprise there, given how much this part usually costs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
haz i got a titan that could solve those 2gb vram issues
Not happening. The $400 stretch for the 670 was already far beyond my normal price point.
Looks like i'm going to save up for a R9 270X. I'm only still using the HD 7750 because i didn't have a job when i bought it.
Why wait? Just get a 7950 3GB.
I'm looking to build a new rig.

Although I will probably hold off 2-3 months still as I figure it's and awful time to build a new PC right now.

Over the next 3-4 months we have.

New AMD GPU's
Next Gen Consoles
Beta Steam Machines
Maybe unlikely new AMD CPU's

I'm looking at these specs.

CPU / INTEL / i5-4670K / 270
GPU / ASUS / HD7970-DC2-3GD5 / 478
RAM / CORSAIR / CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB / 149
SSD / SAMSUNG / 840 Pro Series 512GB SSD / 489
MOBO / ASUS / mini ITX H87I-PLUS / 138
PSU / SEASONIC / G-650 80Plus Gold 650W / 159
CASE / BITFENIX / Prodigy / 99
KEY / MIONIX / Zibal 60 / 149
OPTICAL / PONEER / Blu-Ray BDC-207DBK / 62
MONITOR / DELL / U2413 / 749
Total 2742

Prices are in $AU I'm open to anything.

I want a miniITX set up. I'm really keen on the case, the monitor and the keyboard.

How does it look, how long should I wait.

The wait is killing me :(
The 290's will probably be 11" stock, dunno if that fits. The only thing to wait for is if you'll buy a 290 or 290X. Other cards are rebrands, if you buy AMD you get Mantle, Steamboxes are just existing tech possibly with new SFF cases (yay!), consoles are pc's.
I need to see if this has VT-d support. One thing I don't like about the 2500K is that it drops VT-d from the non-K version.
Intel r smart

JimPanzer

Ok, so I've tried overclocking my gainward GTX 760 using precision X. when I apply GPU and memory offset it shows the changed settings in GPU-Z. but afer running the heaven benchmark GPU-Z shows me the normal clock w/o overclocking. any help?

kharma45

So, I have a "problem".

Through work, I can get an IVB-E processor for free (6 cores, 12 threads). I'd have to purchase my own motherboard though (i think, $250 approxametly? I haven't really checked the X79 boards.)

I currently have a 2500k, and it doesn't seem like the single threaded performance would increase that much (maybe 10%?)

This would be an easy choice if I were still using Gentoo, but nowadays, I hardly compile anything. It doesn't seem like I'd really see much improvement. It doesn't seem like I'd see much improvement.

What do you guys think?

Do it do it do it.

So, I have a "problem".

Through work, I can get an IVB-E processor for free (6 cores, 12 threads). I'd have to purchase my own motherboard though (i think, $250 approxametly? I haven't really checked the X79 boards.)

I currently have a 2500k, and it doesn't seem like the single threaded performance would increase that much (maybe 10%?)

This would be an easy choice if I were still using Gentoo, but nowadays, I hardly compile anything. It doesn't seem like I'd really see much improvement. It doesn't seem like I'd see much improvement.

What do you guys think?

Like kharma says. Do it.

Been running one those for years now, and as soon as you're expanding a bit beyond just playing games it'll make a massive difference. Hell, I like multithreaded programming so that was a bit of an incentive, but for more general use cases as having a whole bunch of programs / browser tabs running simultaneously, you'll definitely feel the extra playing ground those two cores give you.

And don't forget to OC it. Beastly stuff.

Knch

So I'm tired of my old rig and will be building a new one and seeing as prices just seem to go up and up as of late, I've placed an order for the following:

- Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D (81€)
(Have a 600T right now and wanted something smaller. Other than the size I was quite pleased with the 600T, so why not show some brand loyalty)

- PSU: Seasonic Platinum Series P-520 (140€)
(Glanced over the tech report review which made it look more or less on par with the AX760i I was eyeing first, also (slightly) cheaper, less overkill and fanless :D)

- MB: Asus GRYPHON Z87 (133€ + 38€)
(Reviews look good, like the looks, should overclock just fine and comes with software which I might actually use... also bought the matching armor... (purely for the look of it))

- CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K (289€)
(Because, why not the i7)

- Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB (129€)
(Already went overboard with the CPU, might as well do the same here)

- SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic (153€)
- HDD: WD Green 2TB (79€)

Also bought 5 Noiseblocker eLoop B12-P, which puts my current total just shy of 1250€ including shipping. GPU will be decided upon later (but will most likely be AMD.)

Feel free to point out how wrong my choices are. :p

I intend to go with watercooling, anyone know whether I can fit 2 * 240 ST30 (top, front) and a 120 ST30 (back) and if that will be enough to keep everything cool.

Hagi

So i'm debating using my PS4 money to upgrade my GPU instead to a 280X (7850 currently) but I'm slightly worried about my mobo and CPU bottlenecking it.

Currently running an I5 2500K and an ASUS P8Z77-V LX. If these will create problems could anyone recommend some alternatives? In the UK if that helps.

PandaL

So i'm debating using my PS4 money to upgrade my GPU instead to a 280X (7850 currently) but I'm slightly worried about my mobo and CPU bottlenecking it.

Currently running an I5 2500K and an ASUS P8Z77-V LX. If these will create problems could anyone recommend some alternatives? In the UK if that helps.

Neither that CPU nor that MB will bottleneck 280x.

So Im looking to downsize a little bit. I currently have a Define R4 which is a little too large for me.

I saw the cases in the OP for itx, but I have a little dilemma. I would love for it to fit all of my hardware.

I have:

1 Crucial M4
1 3.5" 1TB HDD
1 HIS or Sapphire 7950
H80i Cooler
PC Power & Cooler Silencer MK III PSU

Any case that would fit my criteria? Im looking to spend less than $100 on the case, as Id have to buy a new mobo as well.
I'm assuming the PSU is 180mm long? That's way too long for the builds in the SFF post.
With a shorter PSU (Silverstone makes really compact modular units.) you could maybe fit that stuff into a Bitfenix Prodigy.

The Silverstone PS07 (really tiny mATX) could fit the PSU, but you'd have to switch to air cooling because you couldn't mount the H80i anywhere.
Other (bigger!) mATX cases such as the Corsair 350D or the Define Mini might be able to barely fit a H80i, but that's a gamble. Better google up on that.

Hagi

Neither that CPU nor that MB will bottleneck 280x.

tumblr_mu5ejwzw781rfig22o1_400.gif

Thanks a lot now to decide which of the Sapphire 280X versions to get.

SpyGuy239

What will 4GB of VRAM allow me on a single 1080p monitor setup? I don't think I'll be going with 2GB.

Go for 4GB. I got a 770 4GB recently and have no regrets. Came from a 1GB 560Ti, it ust makes no sense to go 2GB now especially with the near future in mind IMHO.

I game at 1080p as well. So far, only noticed the BF4 beta going up to 2048MB and Company of Heroes 2 to 2458MB.

Haven't had time to try other games yet.

Best of luck!

kharma45

The cheapest 7970 I've seen (haven't really looked mind you) was only like £10 less than the 280X I was planning on getting so I'm thinking of just throwing caution to the wind.

This was what I was going to order later today.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-322-SP

There was 7970s at the weekend for £204 the ASUS Top one. tbh I'd just keep an eye for another good 7970 deal whilst stock is there, I can't see any benefit to getting a 280X when it's just the name changed on it in most cases bar that Sapphire with the triple fan cooler.

JimPanzer

I've never used precision X, try MSI Afterburner.

same problem.

maybe it's my mainboard causing these issues? I feel like my PC is overall a bit underperforming considering its parts.

here's my full system:

CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
GPU: Gainward GTX 760 Phantom (2GB)
Ram: 8 GB 1600 Mhz (no name, one bar, single channel)
PSU: Sharkoon 650W

I get around 7930 points in 3D Mark 11, while others with the same CPU and GPU go up to 9000. Is my mobo bottlenecking the other parts? will dual channel ram increase the systems performance?

friday

So now that the news is out on the new amd stuff I think I will just go with the MSI 7970.

I have been debating on whether to go with ivy bridge or haswell. Is the haswell socket (LGA1150) going to be used for any of the next gen CPUs?

kharma45

So now that the news is out on the new amd stuff I think I will just go with the MSI 7970.

I have been debating on whether to go with ivy bridge or haswell. Is the haswell socket (LGA1150) going to be used for any of the next gen CPUs?

Broadwell will but it might end up being BGA only, we just don't know yet.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Howdy PC-GAF.

Sometime in the next six months or so I'll probably be looking into building a new PC. Ideally a relatively high end one which will last me throughout this generation playing at 1080p. I have gathered that now is not a good time to build a new PC, particularly with new console launches and a new generation of video cards on the horizon (something about 20nm? forgive my ignorance).

I certainly don't want to invest in a new PC and miss a new GPU hardware generation or get saddled with something that is quickly obsolete. So when will be the best time to build a new PC relative to these next-gen hardware changes?

kennah

The current new generation is all rebrands except for the 290 and 780.

Wait if you wanna wait. But there is no 'bad' time if you're patient and get things on sale/used.

Durante

Howdy PC-GAF.

Sometime in the next six months or so I'll probably be looking into building a new PC. Ideally a relatively high end one which will last me throughout this generation playing at 1080p. I have gathered that now is not a good time to build a new PC, particularly with new console launches and a new generation of video cards on the horizon (something about 20nm? forgive my ignorance).

I certainly don't want to invest in a new PC and miss a new GPU hardware generation or get saddled with something that is quickly obsolete. So when will be the best time to build a new PC relative to these next-gen hardware changes?
If the next six months is a hard limit you might as well build now, I think it's unlikely that any 20 nm GPUs will be out within that time frame.

Also, building a system, particularly in terms of GPU, to last for 6 years is generally really bad value. It's not an issue for CPU or MB these days, but GPU wise you are much better off with a mid-high model now and an upgrade a few years later than with a single high-end model now.

Lucid07

A quick question, I'm looking to buy a new TV for my bedroom and have a few Components laying around.

Does anyone know or estimate the prices in GBP of a Corsair TX850 PSU and a XFX 2gb HD6950?

I sold my gaming rig...I was running low on money :*(

anyway what's the better buy? Intel i7 or the AMD FX 8 core 4.4 GHz processor? I guess a lot of games will be using 7-8 cores going forward

Durante

but the FX is cheaper and has more cores. I want this processor to last for 4-5 years.
If you get an i7 and OC it it will last 5 years easily.

The AMD "cores" in the piledriver aren't really full cores in the traditional sense. Two of them each form a module, which shares some functional units.

Price/performance is a harder question, since the platform (MB etc.) is usually also slightly cheaper for AMD.

The AMD "cores" in the piledriver aren't really full cores in the traditional sense. Two of them each form a module, which shares some functional units.

Price/performance is a harder question, since the platform (MB etc.) is usually also slightly cheaper for AMD.
thnx durante. I will go with the i7!

kharma45

but the FX is cheaper and has more cores. I want this processor to last for 4-5 years.

Yeah the 8350 is more akin to a quad core with hyperthreading. Motherboard wise there are good boards around the $120 mark on both 1155 and 1150 with the ASUS Z77 LK and Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X.

So given that the price difference is not that much and I am not big into overclocking I should just go with haswell?

Overclocking is easy to do, all you need is a $20 cooler and to do 10 minutes of reading.

So yeah, I always figured my Asus VN247H had a bad case of ghosting. I just couldn't find any proof. I did find some info about the VS247H, I'm going to assume it's the same monitor with a slight difference.

I noticed this monitor is being recommended in the OP, but if it's anything similar to the VN247H, I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. Really bad case of ghosting.

I found some proof too. Digitalversus states it has 26ms ghosting. Afaik, they're a trustworthy site and their ghosting tests are legit (1000fps camera). I know not everyone cares about ghosting, but isn't there a better monitor to recommend? 26ms ghosting is pretty high for games.

www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/asus-vs247h-p11591/test.html#full-review

All of the monitors you're talking about have nothing much in common besides panel type perhaps. Asus doesn't make it easy, I don't blame you. I only started to learn this after being asked this a billion times at work what the difference is between X, Y, and Z.

The Asus VN247H you have is apparently a 1ms TN monitor so they're completely different. The problem is that because its a 1ms TN monitor, the chances are that it is suffering from severe reverse ghosting. Reverse ghosting occurs when the manufacturer is too aggressive with overdrive/response time compensation.

Another possibility is that the monitor has some funky PWM frequencies that is some really neat multiple of 60. Two things you can try is turning the brightness to max and see if the ghosting changes. Also, dig through the OSD and see if you can find some "trace free" setting. Play around with the numbers but, generally speaking, Asus monitors have the best motion performance when it is set at 40 or 60.

Anyway, the monitor you have and the monitor that Digital Versus reviewed are completely different: the Asus VS247H is a completely different model from the VN247H. Furthermore, the Asus VS247H is completely different from the Asus VS247H-P which is the model referenced in the OP. The fundamental difference is the model with the -P suffix has the trace free setting, which allows you to control the amount of overdrive/response time compensation you have. The model without the -P suffix does not have this.

If we're talking about alternative monitors to recommend, most of these cheap 60hz TN monitors are all kind of duds. There's probably a decent one out there but no one does proper reviews on them and so much of low end monitor market, amusingly, is all about marketing and specsheets. The availability of the trace free setting in the Asus VS247H-P, at the very least, gives the end user the ability to fix whatever awful job Asus did regarding the default overdrive. This is the primary reason for the recommendation, though its possible that its a complete dud of a monitor as I haven't actually taken a good look at it.

cripterion

I'm sitting on this for my pc gaming :

Windows 8 Ultimate x64/Fractal Design R3/Asus P8Z77-V/Corsair AX750/Intel Core i5 3570K @4.3ghz OC-Coolmaster Hyper EVO 212/16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/Asus GTX670 DCII 2GB SLI/Crucial M4 128GB, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB/LG BD-R x12
Acer H233H/Samsung UE50ES6900
Roccat KAVE 5.1/Samsung HW-E450 2.1

I've been having the upgrade itch for a while, hoping a couple of fellas can give some insight as to if it's a worthy upgrade or not. I want that Maxwell, I want that Broadwell, but details are scarce and I keep hearing we might not even get 20nm for the next round of Nvidia GPUs.

I feel some parts are kinda pricey here in France and I would only be upgrading some of them and keep the rest for a 2nd build (I got 3 or 4 other computers with missing parts laying around).

So now for the upgrade :

Intel Core 4770K
309,99€ When I went for the 3570K, it seemed like there were no real benefits in having the i7, looks like things are changing for next gen.
Corsair Hydro Series - H100i 109,95€ Looks good and Corsair Link seems useful
Corsair Obsidian 550D - 149,89€ My actual config was near silent, hoping to keep things the same way with this case.
Asus Z87-Pro C2 - 188,99€ I really wanted one of those cool Asus Sabertooth boards but I rather have one with Wifi included.

Any thoughts?

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my old GTX460 1GB to either a GTX770 or a HD7970/R9280X.

However, I was thinking that perhaps I should upgrade my PSU while I'm at it. I'm currently using a Corsair VX550W that is nearly 6 years old. Would it still be ok to use that, or is it advisable to get a new one?

kharma45

I already have a 212 evo

That's perfect then.

I'm sitting on this for my pc gaming :

Windows 8 Ultimate x64/Fractal Design R3/Asus P8Z77-V/Corsair AX750/Intel Core i5 3570K @4.3ghz OC-Coolmaster Hyper EVO 212/16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance/Asus GTX670 DCII 2GB SLI/Crucial M4 128GB, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, WD Caviar Green 2TB/LG BD-R x12
Acer H233H/Samsung UE50ES6900
Roccat KAVE 5.1/Samsung HW-E450 2.1

I've been having the upgrade itch for a while, hoping a couple of fellas can give some insight as to if it's a worthy upgrade or not. I want that Maxwell, I want that Broadwell, but details are scarce and I keep hearing we might not even get 20nm for the next round of Nvidia GPUs.

I feel some parts are kinda pricey here in France and I would only be upgrading some of them and keep the rest for a 2nd build (I got 3 or 4 other computers with missing parts laying around).

So now for the upgrade :

Intel Core 4770K
309,99€ When I went for the 3570K, it seemed like there were no real benefits in having the i7, looks like things are changing for next gen.
Corsair Hydro Series - H100i 109,95€ Looks good and Corsair Link seems useful
Corsair Obsidian 550D - 149,89€ My actual config was near silent, hoping to keep things the same way with this case.
Asus Z87-Pro C2 - 188,99€ I really wanted one of those cool Asus Sabertooth boards but I rather have one with Wifi included.

Any thoughts?

Don't throw your money onto an i7 yet, wait and see how it pans out and at worst you could upgrade to a 3770K. The cost of a 4770K and a new motherboard isn't worth it in the slightest.

I'd grab an H80 too over the H100 and save your cash.

friday

I am gonna go ahead with the order tonight, I only need a CPU/mobo and a gpu.

Newegg has a 4670k/MSI Z87-G45 combo deal that makes it only $12 more than a comparable ivybridge setup so I am gonna go with that.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing through Alan Wake last night and the frame rate just took a shit at one point. Everything I've read seems to indicate that my system should handle it fine. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

Game resolution: 1920 x 1080p
Graphics settings: Started with custom setting, but even tried lowering it down to the low preset to no avail.

System:
i5 2500k (stock)
Radeon 6950 (extra cores enabled) 2GB
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom