• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

untitled72svr.png

I tried to get as cheap as possible with my build. Is the PSU sufficient?
The Zotac GTX760 with 4GB is ~70€ cheaper than the rest of 760s with 4GB.
Are 4GB too much for the upcoming gen games and should I switch to an OC 760?

rafbanaan

And it's back :/ This morning my computer was autobooting again, but failed.

I turned it on and it worked, but after a hour he just turned itself off while I was playing a game and rebooted -> failed. I press the button to startup again and he's back on.

It's not like the previous time it seems, since it always failed at the boot than. Now it just fails when he's auto trying (for some reason), but when I press my power button he starts up with no problem.

Anyone has an idea? If it's a shortage again with the case, I have no idea what to look for since I took the 'bad' one already out. Could the motherboard be broken or something?

Summary: when I start my pc, he auto shuts down after some time (30mins, 1 hour..) and tries to reboot, but fails. When i manually turn it back, ge starts, but back after some time he auto shuts down.

Also sometimes he starts himself up even when he's shutdown. When he do this he just reboots the whole time.

Jzero

I tried to get as cheap as possible with my build. Is the PSU sufficient?
The Zotac GTX760 with 4GB is ~70€ cheaper than the rest of 760s with 4GB.
Are 4GB too much for the upcoming gen games and should I switch to an OC 760?

Why don't you get the elite 130? it's only like $10 more.

Reckoner

Yay, got the board! Ended up getting an Asus Maximus VI Hero witch was on a discounted price in a local store.

I'm going to put everything together now. Any precautions I should take with static besides touching the case with the power cord connected to the PSU?

Also, I have a key for Win 8 Pro. Is there a link to download the ISO from Microsoft?

LordAlu

Hmmmmm, this looks kinda neat. I must admit the Asgard was a pretty nice case so it'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Xigmatek-Aquila-a-Micro-ATX-Case-for-Gamers-387643-2.jpg

Xigmatek-Aquila-a-Micro-ATX-Case-for-Gamers-387643-3.jpg

Rogosh

Diving in this month and building my first PC. This thread has been a great help to get me started. Does everything on my parts list look good?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LR0Y (excluding video card)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste ($4.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 680 (Donated)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $965.81

I've also been looking for a way to have some sort of switch for a microphone/keyboard + mouse (all USB) to go between 2 computers, but haven't had any luck finding something concrete. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

kharma45

Diving in this month and building my first PC. This thread has been a great help to get me started. Does everything on my parts list look good?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LR0Y (excluding video card)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste ($4.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 680 (Donated)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $965.81

I've also been looking for a way to have some sort of switch for a microphone/keyboard + mouse (all USB) to go between 2 computers, but haven't had any luck finding something concrete. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

No need for paste, drop that. Do you really need a Blu-ray drive? 840 Pro is also overkill unless you're doing a serious amount of writing. I'd bump up the mobo to the next model up, swap your PSU and RAM for these ones too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.46 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.95 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $881.28
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-07 08:28 EDT-0400)

Reckoner

Everything's together and running fine. Just one thing, there are three 2 pin cables coming from the case and I can't figure out what they do and where to connect them. My case is the Define R4. Any suggestions?

I noticed that the case speaker isn't making any sound, probably that's because of those cables

Rogosh

kharma45, Thanks for the quick reply! Is thermal paste something that is included in the fan or processor? I'm just curious why it isn't needed.

As for the Bluray Drive, it really isn't necessary, but i was thinking i may like to have access to one on this PC, but thinking on it most of the stuff i watch is digital anyway. I may decided not too, we'll see.

kharma45

kharma45, Thanks for the quick reply! Is thermal paste something that is included in the fan or processor? I'm just curious why it isn't needed.

As for the Bluray Drive, it really isn't necessary, but i was thinking i may like to have access to one on this PC, but thinking on it most of the stuff i watch is digital anyway. I may decided not too, we'll see.

The Hyper 212 comes with its own paste.

Do reconsider an optical drive, I find they are pretty redundant for most people now.

Mogwai

My friend's been looking into getting a new GPU and he's undecided between EVGA GTX 770 SC and Asus GTX 770 DC2.

Any arguments for one over the other? I've heard the Asus DC2 runs very cool and it seems to be clocked higher. But people typically speak very fond of EVGA.

Reckoner

Everything's together and running fine. Just one thing, there are three 2 pin cables coming from the case and I can't figure out what they do and where to connect them. My case is the Define R4. Any suggestions?

I noticed that the case speaker isn't making any sound, probably that's because of those cables

Found out. The cables were to connect the fans directly to the case. All good. Now, just preparing to install Windows

My friend's been looking into getting a new GPU and he's undecided between EVGA GTX 770 SC and Asus GTX 770 DC2.

Any arguments for one over the other? I've heard the Asus DC2 runs very cool and it seems to be clocked higher. But people typically speak very fond of EVGA.
Higher stock clocks don't mean shit because overclocking a GPU is so damn easy. EVGA seems to have the best RMA service in the US from what I hear.

I'd get what's cheapest tbh. Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, MSI and Sapphire all make top notch cards.

Oh, and the 7970 can be overclocked to roughly 770 performance and is a lot cheaper right now. Tell him to consider that as well.

Mogwai

Higher stock clocks don't mean shit because overclocking a GPU is so damn easy. EVGA seems to have the best RMA service in the US from what I hear.

I'd get what's cheapest tbh. Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA, MSI and Sapphire all make top notch cards.

Oh, and the 7970 can be overclocked to roughly 770 performance and is a lot cheaper right now. Tell him to consider that as well.

Yeah, I've been suggesting a 7970 too as I got one myself, but he's a GeForce guy, so I wont start any religious wars here :)

Do you know about EVGAs RMA outside US? Is it worth anything in Scandinavia?

kharma45

Yeah, I've been suggesting a 7970 too as I got one myself, but he's a GeForce guy, so I wont start any religious wars here :)

Do you know about EVGAs RMA outside US? Is it worth anything in Scandinavia?

EVGA's European RMA base is in Germany and the service is as good here as it is in the US by the looks of it.

kennah

Thanks for the info, it seems like they removed that function in newer drivers.
That guy had some third party drivers installed. They said different mem sizes aren't officially supported, not that it doesn't work. However, it will only use as much memory as there is on the smallest card.

Take your chances I guess but personally I'd prefer to use matched cards.

inherendo

Ok, I think I've finalized my upgrades to my existing Phenom II X3 720 build:

Plus a couple Newegg coupons takes all of that plus free shipping and no tax to a grand total of $627.92.

I'll replace my current AM3 mobo, replace my X3 720, stick the Noctua fans on my Corsair H60 to push/pull, and replace my 550 watt Corsair PSU with the modular 750 watt one for some possible SLI room down the road. Figured if I'm getting a new mobo I might as well get new RAM, although I think I could probably carry over my 4 sticks of 2 GB RAM if I wanted to save some money.

Good plan?

I'm not in any huge hurry other than having the urge to upgrade but I'm wondering whether I should hold off a bit to see if memory prices drop any. They seem awfully high all of a sudden when they were dirt cheap for the longest time.
Grease remover seems like a scam. Buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. Just need a organic solvent to remove paste.

Mogwai

In relation to my previous question. Is there any actual difference between factory OC on the EVGA GTX 770 (standard) and the SC version? I mean, is it possible to boost the standard card to same performance?

sigh. just when I was about to pick up at 770 to replace my dusty old 570, AMD goes up and announces the R9280X.

I've been an Nvidia guy for a good while but the price seems very difficult to beat. I'm hoping the R9 280X will be able to run my games on full at 1080.

Guess we'll wait and see tomorrow.

kennah

In relation to my previous question. Is there any actual difference between factory OC on the EVGA GTX 770 (standard) and the SC version? I mean, is it possible to boost the standard card to same performance?
Factory OC ones are ones that have been pre tested. SC versions might be able to OC to the same levels but it's really luck of the draw/whether they locked the voltage on them or not. Sometimes the OC ones come with a better cooler than the stock ones.

Are mid-range mobos with bluetooth common? I did a search on the newegg pages for most of the recommended mobos in the OP and didn't see anything, so I'm thinking no, but I wanted to ask just in case. Is getting a cheap USB adapter a better idea?

rafbanaan

Anyone has an idea? If it's a shortage again with the case, I have no idea what to look for since I took the 'bad' one already out. Could the motherboard be broken or something?

Summary: when I start my pc, he auto shuts down after some time (30mins, 1 hour..) and tries to reboot, but fails. When i manually turn it back, ge starts, but back after some time he auto shuts down.

Also sometimes he starts himself up even when he's shutdown. When he do this he just reboots the whole time.

If you missed it :(

Thorgal

if you google wall mounted PC's there are quite a few different ones, you can certainly do it on a lower budget, I've thought about doing it myself before...

another example

UEqXs.jpg

The wires realy should be hidden behind it as in my post .

This looks imo a little unpleasing to look at .

Dawg

Kinda hoping the new AMD cards will drop the price of the Gigabyte GTX 770 OC Windforce 3X.

€348 atm. Make it €300 and I'll buy it.

HD7970 is still mostly €300 and up here. Really not worth. There's like two of them at €260 or so but the user reviews on those make me not want to buy one.

Gumbie

Might have a chance to buy a 770 2GB SLI setup at a good price soon. Right now I game at 1080p on one monitor but I'm thinking of going 1440p sometime next year. Should I pass and wait on good 4GB card?

excowboy

I'm doing my first build and buying components over time when I have the money. I've snagged an MSI Z77 G45A board (as per the 'Standard' build spreadsheet) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a graphics card?

This PC is going under the telly which is just a 26" LCD, so it can only output 720p. It's going to be used for streaming TV, playing music, web etc as well as games. I'm not mega fussed about 60fps or ultra settings etc etc but I was thinking about getting a 2gb 7850 for a decent kick (again, this is in the build sheet). Does that sound like overkill or about right? Thanks GAF!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mention a processor or RAM! Have been looking at an i5, either a 2500K or a 3570k and 8Gb RAM.

Cross-posting in regard to the deal for an HD 7970 OC and 3 games for $262:

I have a Dell with a Phenom II X6 1075T processor.

Currently I have an HD 6970 (well, a 6950 with the extra shaders unlocked, but the same thing).

I don't really understand how my cpu factors into the grand scheme of things, and I'm sure it will vary from game to game. I'm wondering though if this upgrade would be bottlenecked by the cpu? Have I hit a ceiling and should just wait until I can build a new machine in a years time or longer, or would this be a good "last upgrade" for the system?

I want to max out BF4 like I do BF3. It would be nice to do the same for Crysis 2 (as an example) with the graphics upgrade patch and hi-res texture pack, which runs like shit for me whereas the original released version was buttery smooth at max settings.

I play in 1080p btw and dont care about the free games all that much.

Tomodachi

Anyone? :(

Hey PC-GAF, I have one upgrade question for you.

I have an MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti 1GB and I was wondering, what would be the minimun budget for a worthy vga upgrade? I woudln't want to spend like 150€ just for marginal or no improvements, that's what I mean. I've got a 3570K btw.

It would also be pretty cool to have a vga with somewhat silent fans. Right now it's like an helicopter in my case when I start gaming, even though the CPU fan is extremely silent.

So I just installed my H100i and so far, so good. That being said, my idle temps seem awfully high. Around 35-40 degrees C. One of the things that I plan to do is reapply thermal paste and try again. I forgot to remove the paste that was already existing on the CPU from my old CM Hyper 212 cooler. That being said, once I clean it out and apply it again, can I expect a 10 degree drop? Also, how important is a push/pull configuration? Maybe something like this?

This is my current case.

FHRvM.jpg

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
I've got an upgrade question.

I've got an i3-3220, and I'm looking to upgrade to something quad core for my gaming pc. I'm on about a 220 budget, but, the cheaper, the better. From what I've been reading the i5-3570 should be plenty capable. But is there anything else I should be looking at? Preferably something with a 1155 socket, so I can keep my mobo.

kharma45

I've got an upgrade question.

I've got an i3-3220, and I'm looking to upgrade to something quad core for my gaming pc. I'm on about a 220 budget, but, the cheaper, the better. From what I've been reading the i5-3570 should be plenty capable. But is there anything else I should be looking at? Preferably something with a 1155 socket, so I can keep my mobo.

220 what? Pence, Vietnamese dong, Australian dollars?

What mobo do you have too?

7950 upwards, 670/760 upwards.

I'm doing my first build and buying components over time when I have the money. I've snagged an MSI Z77 G45A board (as per the 'Standard' build spreadsheet) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a graphics card?

This PC is going under the telly which is just a 26" LCD, so it can only output 720p. It's going to be used for streaming TV, playing music, web etc as well as games. I'm not mega fussed about 60fps or ultra settings etc etc but I was thinking about getting a 2gb 7850 for a decent kick (again, this is in the build sheet). Does that sound like overkill or about right? Thanks GAF!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mention a processor or RAM! Have been looking at an i5, either a 2500K or a 3570k and 8Gb RAM.

7850 is a fine card, depends on where you live in the world for what deals.

Go for a 3570K btw.

7950 / GTX 670 / GTX 760 would (IMHO of course) be a good jump. Depending on where you are in Europe, you could also look if there's a good deal available on a 7970.

Generally speaking, AMD cards are better value right now. If you're Team nVidia or need CUDA or something, wait for them to react to AMD's new lineup. Should be some price drops ahead.

Edit: Beat'd, I guess.

Tomodachi

7950 upwards, 670/760 upwards.

7950 / GTX 670 / GTX 760 would (IMHO of course) be a good jump. Depending on where you are in Europe, you could also look if there's a good deal available on a 7970.

Generally speaking, AMD cards are better value right now. If you're Team nVidia or need CUDA or something, wait for them to react to AMD's new lineup. Should be some price drops ahead.

Edit: Beat'd, I guess.

Thanks! I'm in Italy, I'll look for some deal on Amazon.it or maybe wait a few weeks for price cuts or new budget cards. Thanks again you both!

EDIT: oh forgot to say I'm actually team nvidia. I know it's silly and AMD has come a long way but I was team ati before and the drivers have kinda scarred me for life. I hope I'll be able to go over my prejudice someday :p

Pakkidis

About to build my first PC in 2 weeks. Question: Their is some confusion about setting up the optical drive in ide or adhi. What should I set my optical drive as? Does it matter?

I will be using an ssd to boot up the OS and a regular hd for storage.

Vio-Lence

Banned
So whos in between a Radeon 7970 or a R280X like me? I dont know if i should wait!! ahh!!
Wait for tomorrow. Benches and reviews will be out. It should be a rebadged 7970, but might as well have confirmation and see pricing. Then you can always take advantage of discounted pricing of existing cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom