• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

My Steambox is ready. Bought all the components at local dealers.
imagexoyjp.jpg

All together for 700€

Intel i5 4670
8 GB RAM from Corsair
Cooler Master Elite 344
Gigabyte H81M-S2PV
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual X OC Boost (just 300 Euro)
A wifi stick
Real power 600W PSU

Assembly was rather easy:
imagenlyn5.jpg

It's pretty quiet so far.
Any idea how far I can push the GPU clocks with this model?

oxidax

Wait for tomorrow. Benches and reviews will be out. It should be a rebadged 7970, but might as well have confirmation and see pricing. Then you can always take advantage of discounted pricing of existing cards.

Do u think ill get bottleneck with two 280's or two 7970's because of my 1080 res tv?

LCGeek

formerly sane
My Steambox is ready. Bought all the components at local dealers.
imagexoyjp.jpg

All together for 700€

Intel i5 4670
8 GB RAM from Corsair
Cooler Master Elite 344
Gigabyte H81M-S2PV
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Dual X OC Boost (just 300 Euro)
A wifi stick
Real power 600W PSU

Assembly was rather easy:
imagenlyn5.jpg

It's pretty quiet so far.
Any idea how far I can push the GPU clocks with this model?

For a 7970 the cores should be 1200-1300 on a decent OC.

Check this thread and see what others get.

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
Yeah with that mobo a 3570 would be your best bet.

Thanks, I found a 3570k at a local retailer priced a few bucks cheaper than the non-k version anywhere I could find online. I know I can't overclock with my motherboard, but will the 3570k play nice with my system otherwise?

kharma45

Thanks, I found a 3570k at a local retailer priced a few bucks cheaper than the non-k version anywhere I could find online. I know I can't overclock with my motherboard, but will the 3570k play nice with my system otherwise?

Yep it'll be fine and it'll hold it's value better too if you go to sell it.

Crisco

Banned
So where do you guys think DDR4 RAM prices will fall? An 8 core Haswell-E seems like the most logical upgrade path for me. Going off IB-E prices, looking at probably $200-$300 for the motherboard and $500-600 for the processor. 32GB of DDR4 will probably cost, what, maybe $300?

JimPanzer

should I overclock my Gainward GTX 760 Phantom (2GB)? from what I get it's already factory-overclocked. can I push it safely even further and if so, how much? anyone with firsthand experience?

excowboy

7850 is a fine card, depends on where you live in the world for what deals.

Go for a 3570K btw.

Thanks, wasn't sure if it would be over the top, but figure if it's a bit beefy then I can stand to upgrade my TV at some point too. I'm in the UK and I think I can get a 2Gb 7850 for about £120.

I'll be going for a 3570K if I can - just a matter of budget.

Maybe thinking of building a rig. Around $1000 to spend. Is that adequate enough to play next gen games at high/max settings you think? BTW, newegg has local delivery in my area so any recommendations on that site would be good if possible.

should I overclock my Gainward GTX 760 Phantom (2GB)? from what I get it's already factory-overclocked. can I push it safely even further and if so, how much? anyone with firsthand experience?

Get the Heaven Benchmark and Precision X. Slowly increase your Vcore by 10 or so until you see artifacts or the driver/bench crashes. Afterwards do the same for the memory clock except increase it by 50 each time.

You want to do at least 2 passes to test out each clock than after getting the final settings run it like an hour or so.

Well that's how I did it.

kharma45

Thanks, wasn't sure if it would be over the top, but figure if it's a bit beefy then I can stand to upgrade my TV at some point too. I'm in the UK and I think I can get a 2Gb 7850 for about £120.

I'll be going for a 3570K if I can - just a matter of budget.

There was one at £110 yesterday, but I think they're all gone.

saelz8

Tempting. I'm still waiting to see the benchmarks on this. If this performs better than the 770 I'll get this day one.

It's gonna be tough to jump off the nvidia train but I'm not looking to spend that much for the same performance.

Yep, I'm in the exact same quandary. Tomorrow needs to hurry up. I want to make a decision.

The 3D Clock on that one 280X is lower than the stock clock for the original HD 7970 but the Boost clock is higher. It's apparently factory OCed. I would have expected Ghz edition clock speeds.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Thank god I doubled dipped on 7950's at 200 bucks. Will split it across 2 different builds and when the need comes will sli before getting another gpu.

ekim

Fuck... The wifi stick keeps dropping the connection. It either gets slow or completely pauses getting any data... -.-
I tuned several options in the OS so it doesn't deactivate the device for power saving. Any ideas?

JimPanzer

Get the Heaven Benchmark and Precision X. Slowly increase your Vcore by 10 or so until you see artifacts or the driver/bench crashes. Afterwards do the same for the memory clock except increase it by 50 each time.

You want to do at least 2 passes to test out each clock than after getting the final settings run it like an hour or so.

Well that's how I did it.

is this safe? the last time I overclocked something was 8 years ago. I don't want to damage anything.

hostiledrunk

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm pretty much a total noob to pc gaming and was hoping to get some opinions if this is a good deal for $400. Also, will I have plenty of room for upgrades over time? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specs
Msi A75a-G55
Radeon HD Xfx 7850
A6-3670
Kuhler H20 Liquid Cooling
Crosair GS700 power supply
Crosair 90Gb SSD
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Ballistix 2x 4Gb 1600 DDR3 Ram
HP DVD Drive
ULTRA Desktop Case
Blue Fan

is this safe? the last time I overclocked something was 8 years ago. I don't want to damage anything.

Modern cards will throttle down when it overheats. Worst thing that happened to me was the driver crashed and restarted right away. Windows was left intact while it crashed.

OC just takes time for testing.

Forgot a program. GPU-Z to check the clocks.

Thorgal

There are so many fail safes built into PC components today that they will throttle themselves long before any harm can happen .

The only thing that would fry your system is if you set Voltage to something ridiculous.

Edit: beaten.

No worries about that either. 760 GTX is voltage limited. Only the MSI 760 GTX Hawk can increase the voltage over 10 points I think.

I got a MSI 760 GTX Gaming OC card and I was able to squeeze out 120+ for the Vcore and all the way up to 800+ for the memory clock, but I dialed it down to 400 to not burn the lifespan of the card too much.

I've just done a new build and can't seem to access MSI's website to download drivers....?! You can't be serious. What the fuck. To say this doesn't fill me with confidence using MSI's products is the biggest understatement ever. Piss poor, smh

100 Vcore should be a good starting point. 760 GTX should be able to go above that. Always start off doing Vcore first and only Vcore. Work on Memory clock after you found your stable Vcore.

Hey guys, I'm pretty much a total noob to pc gaming and was hoping to get some opinions if this is a good deal for $400. Also, will I have plenty of room for upgrades over time? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specs
Msi A75a-G55
Radeon HD Xfx 7850
A6-3670
Kuhler H20 Liquid Cooling
Crosair GS700 power supply
Crosair 90Gb SSD
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Ballistix 2x 4Gb 1600 DDR3 Ram
HP DVD Drive
ULTRA Desktop Case
Blue Fan
Some good parts in there, but for that budget you can do much better. I assume you're buying used?
Have a look at the "Standard" build from the OP. That's definitely doable on a $400 budget if you shop around a bit. You should even be able to squeeze the quad core i5-3350P in there.

hostiledrunk

Neo Member
Edit: thanks! So not such a good deal then? Checking prices it seems like it is but I know next to nothing here lol. Any other advice or opinions?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Are people starting to shy away from quad core in favor of 6 or 8 now? I have an FX 4170 quad, runs at 4.2ghz and I figured getting it was safe for the next gen. Is 4 cores gonna be a bottleneck one day?

Suddenly I don't feel like as much of a sucker having 16GB of RAM with new games requiring 6GB or more. To be fair, I do use the ram sometimes with virtual machines and video editing/encoding.

Thorgal

Suddenly I don't feel like as much of a sucker having 16GB of RAM with new games requiring 6GB or more. To be fair, I do use the ram sometimes with virtual machines and video editing/encoding.

Eh, when i got my PC i was pretty much: why the hell not. it's dirt cheap anyway :p

Seems to have payed off nicely .

Edit: thanks! So not such a good deal then? Checking prices it seems like it is but I know next to nothing here lol. Any other advice or opinions?
The CPU is merely "okay" for gaming, the GPU brand is known to have bad coolers and the case is probably shit.

As I said, Standard build, buy used. If you don't want to do that, the Budget build is decent at ~$400 and can easily be upgraded to something more substantial.

Or can you spare more? What's your budget anyway?

Alright, I give up I'm an idiot to the max, but help me solve this bonehead problem.

But does anyone know how to access the front fans in a Fractal Define R3 case? It supposed to have easy to use clips or something, but the inside the case is blocked by the HD trays, and the outside is blocked by filters and won't budge.

Do I need to take out the HDD trays? Lol....

Eh, when i got my PC i was pretty much: why the hell not. it's dirt cheap anyway :p

Seems to have payed off nicely .

I started off with 8GB, but I later upgraded when it was cheaper around the time Diablo 3 came out. I love having 16GB of ram. I don't feel like I have to manage how many programs and browser tabs I have open now.

So I just installed my H100i and so far, so good. That being said, my idle temps seem awfully high. Around 35-40 degrees C. One of the things that I plan to do is reapply thermal paste and try again. I forgot to remove the paste that was already existing on the CPU from my old CM Hyper 212 cooler. That being said, once I clean it out and apply it again, can I expect a 10 degree drop? Also, how important is a push/pull configuration? Maybe something like this?

This is my current case.

FHRvM.jpg

anyone?

kharma45

Fill out the OP questions from these

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

hostiledrunk

Neo Member
The CPU is merely "okay" for gaming, the GPU brand is known to have bad coolers and the case is probably shit.

As I said, Standard build, buy used. If you don't want to do that, the Budget build is decent at ~$400 and can easily be upgraded to something more substantial.

Or can you spare more? What's your budget anyway?

Right now 400 would be my absolute max. I could maybe go 5 in the near future. Mostly, I'm looking for a rig that would be decent when I get it but have lots of room to upgrade over time. Should I maybe wait until prices go down? Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Your Current Specs: Going in fresh. I have absolutely nothing..no case, cables, anything.
Budget: $1000 / US
Main Use: Rate 4/5 Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Prefer 60+FPS, next gen games e.g. BF4, COD, Watchdogs etc
When will you build?: Soonish (this month maybe)
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not but who knows

P.S if possible link newegg items as they do same day delivery in my area. Also FYI, I've never really built a rig from scratch before so any advice would be appreciated.

With all the next-gen PC ports I'm thinking of upgrading my rig from 2010. Right now I have an Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.7GHz, 560ti 1GB and 4GB of RAM. My monitor res is 1680 x 1050 but my LCD is 720p/1080p (don't use both at the same time for games). I think I can swing this setup for a bit longer while I save money for a complete overhaul. I think I can get a couple more sticks of DDR3 which would help a bit as a stop gap. Thoughts?

Tablo

With all the next-gen PC ports I'm thinking of upgrading my rig from 2010. Right now I have an Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.7GHz, 560ti and 4GB of RAM. I think I can swing this setup for a bit longer while I save money for a complete overhaul. I think I can get a couple more sticks of DDR3 which would help a bit as a stop gap. Thoughts?

Bumping up to 8 or more gigs is a good move, go for it.

With all the next-gen PC ports I'm thinking of upgrading my rig from 2010. Right now I have an Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.7GHz, 560ti and 4GB of RAM. I think I can swing this setup for a bit longer while I save money for a complete overhaul. I think I can get a couple more sticks of DDR3 which would help a bit as a stop gap. Thoughts?
I have a similar situation with a 1075t and a 6970. Debating whether it's worth a gpu upgrade with that cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom