• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please talk me out of the 7990 for 550 on newegg today.
I'm trying to wait on the 290.... but...so...tempting...

290 will have new architecture, and is single-GPU. Quieter, less power usage, and much greater performance potential than the 7990. It's simply more future proof technology-wise.

excowboy

Just get something well rounded that is easily upgradeable. Don't expect shit to last for five years (gpus).

Thanks for the responses. I actually picked up a 2gb 7850 from ebay for only £90 last night which was listed as bnib and unused, so feeling good about that. Figure I can use this in a crossfire setup for extra juice later. I've also ordered a 3570k so I can turbo later on and my mobo supports 32gb RAM, so I've got some scope to boost things down the line.

ekim

I finally had the time to play around with my new PC yesterday and played several titles...
I never want to go back to <60 FPS :eek:

Just tried to redeem my free game codes for a 7950 radeon I bought from Overclockers.co.uk and surprise surpsrise, the 3 free Gold games and Crysis 3 codes that were emailed to me dont work. It says 'Your session has expired. Please start over' over and over again. For fuck sake, this is part of a birthday present, there's a new card in a machine with no new games to play. Not the first load of incompetence I've experienced with these clowns. Unamused in an understatment.

EDIT- I'm wondering if the site is acting up. I don't think I'm alone with this issue. Fucking brilliant. Fuck ups like this is what sent me to Nvidia last upgrade! Always something with these guys..

Overclockers get back to me saying to contact AMD directly, I cant raise a ticket with AMD because overclockers haven't bothered giving me a reference ID in their email. My god, both of this lot are fucking useless. For god sake, how difficult is it to put together code redeeming service that works?

kharma45

Just tried to redeem my free game codes for a 7950 radeon I bought from Overclockers.co.uk and surprise surpsrise, the 3 free Gold games and Crysis 3 codes that were emailed to me dont work. It says 'Your session has expired. Please start over' over and over again. For fuck sake, this is part of a birthday present, there's a new card in a machine with no new games to play. Not the first load of incompetence I've experienced with these clowns. Unamused in an understatment.

EDIT- I'm wondering if the site is acting up. I don't think I'm alone with this issue. Fucking brilliant. Fuck ups like this is what sent me to Nvidia last upgrade! Always something with these guys..

Overclockers get back to me saying to contact AMD directly, I cant raise a ticket with AMD because overclockers haven't bothered giving me a reference ID in their email. My god, both of this lot are fucking useless. For god sake, how difficult is it to put together code redeeming service that works?

The site was under maintenance last night for redeeming stuff, don't know if that's any use. But this is why I try to avoid OCUK, they're generally not interested once they've got your money, heard so many appalling after sales experiences with them.

Diablos

hzjHjVy.jpg
LOL

The site was under maintenance last night for redeeming stuff, don't know if that's any use. But this is why I try to avoid OCUK, they're generally not interested once they've got your money, heard so many appalling after sales experiences with them.

I totally agree, I had a nightmare RMA'ing a 5850 a few years ago, I ended up quoting documentation on their own website in an email to support before they eventually agreed to do it. I haven't used them since.. Until now.. Haha. Seems not much has changed.

kharma45

Sapphire R9 280X Toxic Edition OC seems an impressive enough card

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...phire-r9-280x-toxic-edition-oc-3gb-review/22/

Managed an overclock of 1,300mhz from the core and 1,762mhz from the GDDR5 memory (7.05 Gbps effective), pretty impressive.

I totally agree, I had a nightmare RMA'ing a 5850 a few years ago, I ended up quoting documentation on their own website in an email to support before they eventually agreed to do it. I haven't used them since.. Until now.. Haha. Seems not much has changed.

What gets me is their forum with the members who can't see past the mods arses. Nothing is ever OCUK's fault.

With the Battlefield 4 Beta, the talk about it running better on Win 8.1 than Win 7 has gotten me interested in upgrading to Win 8.1. I just have a few questions I need cleared up.

You know, if you want to go to Windows 8 because you're curious, or you like what you hear from the vocal minority that prefer 8 to 7, that's totally cool, but I wouldn't go hanging my hat on performance results from a Battlefield beta. It's not exactly the poster child for performance testing.

ekim

Looking into getting a wireless keyboard + mouse - how are the latencies nowadays? The last wireless mouse I used had some terrible lag.

Does every AMD 79xx card contain a Never Settle Forever Gold card? I ask because I exchanged my Sapphire 7950 Boost for a Club3D 7970 Royal Queen (only 20€ more) And while the Sapphire had a Never Settle code (that I had to send back aswell) the Club3D one did not, was I ripped off and should call the shop? :(

kharma45

Does every AMD 79xx card contain a Never Settle Forever Gold card? I ask because I exchanged my Sapphire 7950 Boost for a Club3D 7970 Royal Queen (only 20€ more) And while the Sapphire had a Never Settle code (that I had to send back aswell) the Club3D one did not, was I ripped off and should call the shop? :(

It's retailer dependent, I imagine since you already had one code they didn't give you another.

It's retailer dependent, I imagine since you already had one code they didn't give you another.

The thing is, I bought the 7970 from another retailer though I just checked it's not listed on AMD's Never Settle page so I'm out of luck right? It would be a bit of a bummer but I can always wait till the Steam Winter Sale for Saints Row IV and FarCry 3 Blood Dragon :p

kharma45

The thing is, I bought the 7970 from another retailer though I just checked it's not listed on AMD's Never Settle page so I'm out of luck right? It would be a bit of a bummer but I can always wait till the Steam Winter Sale for Saints Row IV and FarCry 3 Blood Dragon :p

Ah I thought it was from the same place. Yeah you're unfortunately out of luck, it's a retailer specific promotion rather than just the GPU itself.

Willectro

Banned
Thanks for the reply, is the stabilizer the metal hinge piece? I took it apart and put it back together to make sure everything was fit properly. But it's not responsive even when the key is popped off... it's just busted. Really liked this keyboard too but don't really want to buy the same one if it has reliability issues.

Anyone have recommendations for a mechanical keyboard for gaming and coding? I was considering the Razer BlackWidow because it has media keys and macros.

Hmm, I suppose you could try replacing the switch. Search google/youtube for a guide maybe?

Also Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Ah I thought it was from the same place. Yeah you're unfortunately out of luck, it's a retailer specific promotion rather than just the GPU itself.

I see thanks that makes sense then though after looking just now, my usual retailer would have wanted 339&#8364; for the 7970 Royal Queen and I paid mere 250&#8364; o.o With a saving of 90&#8364; I suppose I can't be mad at not also getting free games :p

Also I love the Royal Queen 7970, the Sapphire 7950 Boost was already quiet with a custom fan-profile but the 7970 is practically not existent noise wise and that's while playing the BF4 Beta with 4x MSAA :D

pestul

Sapphire R9 280X Toxic Edition OC seems an impressive enough card

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...phire-r9-280x-toxic-edition-oc-3gb-review/22/

Managed an overclock of 1,300mhz from the core and 1,762mhz from the GDDR5 memory (7.05 Gbps effective), pretty impressive.

What gets me is their forum with the members who can't see past the mods arses. Nothing is ever OCUK's fault.

I was dead set on waiting for 290 (non-xt).. but this may have just pushed me over the edge. What a fantastic card.

I wouldn't worry, no codes are redeeming on AMD's site anyway, Wish I went with Nvidia with a free Batman Arkham Origins code. Fuck this.

kharma45

I wouldn't worry, no codes are redeeming on AMD's site anyway, Wish I went with Nvidia with a free Batman Arkham Origins code. Fuck this.

I know you're frustrated but you've just hit a spot of bad luck with the site maintenance. If you'd tried say 36 hours ago it would've been fine. Check Twitter to see if anyone else is having the issue.

Thanks. I just ordered them. That's actually the power supply I've been using for the last 4 years. The only problem is that it's not modular. The nice thing about that group of parts is that it keeps my options wide open for the rest of the machine.

For the price you can forgive it!

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I know you're frustrated but you've just hit a spot of bad luck with the site maintenance. If you'd tried say 36 hours ago it would've been fine. Check Twitter to see if anyone else is having the issue.

For the price you can forgive it!

I am having trouble redeeming a code there too.

They sent me a bad code with my GTX760, but they got it straightened out pretty quickly.

Kiant

Just a quick question (well more wanting to ask opinions), currently rocking an old i7 950, do you think it would be better upgrading to haswell, something like a 4770k, even if it's not a massive leap OR upgrading my gpu, got a GTX 580 at the mo. Mean I could do both but I would rather just upgrade one or the other for the time being.

kennah

Just a quick question (well more wanting to ask opinions), currently rocking an old i7 950, do you think it would be better upgrading to haswell, something like a 4770k, even if it's not a massive leap OR upgrading my gpu, got a GTX 580 at the mo. Mean I could do both but I would rather just upgrade one or the other for the time being.

Tough call. Both of those are still in the 'good enough' territory. I think if you haaave to upgrade, a new GPU would be great. The newer ones are more power efficient and quieter.. You'd have to get something better than a 670 or 760 though, since the 580 is so fast. Find a cheap 7970 or upgrade to one of the fancy new AMD cards for shits and giggles.

Also if you don't have one, get an aftermarket fan for your CPU and overclock it. Your i7 is still just fine.

Kiant

Tough call. Both of those are still in the 'good enough' territory. I think if you haaave to upgrade, a new GPU would be great. The newer ones are more power efficient and quieter.. You'd have to get something better than a 670 or 760 though, since the 580 is so fast. Find a cheap 7970 or upgrade to one of the fancy new AMD cards for shits and giggles.

Also if you don't have one, get an aftermarket fan for your CPU and overclock it. Your i7 is still just fine.

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, mean it's more me wanting to upgrade rather than having to :p, do you think the 7970's will come down anymore, just the R9 280x seems really well priced (basing on overclockers pricing), although guess we don't know all the deats on performance yet.

kennah

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, mean it's more me wanting to upgrade rather than having to :p, do you think the 7970's will come down anymore, just the R9 280x seems really well priced (basing on overclockers pricing), although guess we don't know all the deats on performance yet.

The 280 is a rebadged 7970.

bro1

Banned
I have a 27" Samsung S27B350 monitor that I really like. I am going to buy a second monitor soon but don't know if I should go high res (I'm rocking 1080P right now) or 144hz. What do you guys think? I'm going 27" for either.

My rig is a i5 3570K at 4.2, a gtx770 (2gigs) and 8gigs of RAM. I am planning on buying the next Nvidia card that is the mid level one.

kennah

So you guys just expect maybe 1 or 2 frames difference with the R9 280's compared to the 7970's and basically just a more efficient card?

You're misunderstanding. It is the exact same card. Just a new cooler/shroud. The 280 is a ghz version 7970 with a new sticker. Literally. Exact same.

zbarron

OK so I'm having a problem with my new 4770K. I tried switching the fan on it and it went from 88C in AIDA64 FPU test to 100C with throttling. I switched back to the fan I was using and it is the same high temp. I figured the HSF became a little loose so I took it off, cleaned it, reapplied the thermal paste and tried again and it is still hot. At stock clock it is as hot as it was at 4.5 this morning. Any ideas?

Since then I have tightened my backplate and reseated my heatsink 3 times. I still can't get past a 4.1Ghz overclock at decent temps. I' strongly considering delidding it at this point just to get back to where I was. Anyone have any success doing so?

kennah

Since then I have tightened my backplate and reseated my heatsink 3 times. I still can't get past a 4.1Ghz overclock at decent temps. I' strongly considering delidding it at this point just to get back to where I was. Anyone have any success doing so?

A couple gaffers have done it. Haz and Scogoth have and I can't remember the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom