• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

Are you gaming at 1080p? If I were you I would OC your cpu, and just get the new vid card. If then you found that performance was still lacking you could update the other components, having already gotten the new gpu...

I did a quick look and your 860 should be kinda comparable to my 2500k. OC it and it's still a pretty fast processor for gaming. IMO.

no, not doing 1080p yet. My monitor only does 1680x1050

That was my next upgrade, a 24inch monitor to get that next resolution. Maybe ill get the monitor and the card and see how that works.

i dont know how to Overclock at all :(

thanks for response though!

Addnan

If you are not running into any issues then the temps are probably fine. CPUs and go into the 90Cs without problem same goes for GPU. I try to keep it lower than 75 for both.
I'm not planning to overclock, so I don't need the CPU cooler right?
You might want to eventually. It's the best way to gain performance when your CPU starts to get older. Might as well spend the $20 now instead of having to install it at a later date.

Afro

If you are not running into any issues then the temps are probably fine. CPUs and go into the 90Cs without problem same goes for GPU. I try to keep it lower than 75 for both.

You might want to eventually. It's the best way to gain performance when your CPU starts to get older. Might as well spend the $20 now instead of having to install it at a later date.

thanks!

Sothpaw

In July I built a machine:

16GB
etc...

Anyway everything works great and I love it. Only question is, what is the best way to clean the machine? Just spray the dust out every few months? Any product recommendations?

Prologue

For those who say it doesn't really matter when you build a computer, I would think next year winter would be better since GPU's won't be held back and can push the envelope a bit more with next gen here and all.

Or am I wrong?

gblues

Banned
Is de-lidding Haswell a suggested practice if you're shooting for a moderate to good OC (i7 4770K, 4.2-4.5 Ghz) on air?

I have a Haswell i5 3.6ghz.

On air cooling, my rig holds a stable 4.2Ghz OC with cpu voltage set to 1.25 volts. Temps with prime95 running hover between 68-71. I've tried pushing to 4.4 but I had to increase both cpu and RING voltage, and that pushed temps north of 90-100 under load.

I've seen reports of successful 4.4ghz OC on air cooling, so I would try it before delidding.

EDIT:
Anything under 80C is good. Without an OC, my CPU ran around 58-65C under load. Idle temps for me are around 34-36C.

kennah

For those who say it doesn't really matter when you build a computer, I would think next year winter would be better since GPU's won't be held back and can push the envelope a bit more with next gen here and all.

Or am I wrong?

And what are you going to use between now and then?

And what's stopping you from saying next winter "the gpus next winter will be better than the ones that are out now"

Just got my new 7970.... pretty redic how much better it runs compared to my other 7970. The voltages are set WAY higher (amusing considering it was overclocked way lower than my old).

It also runs 20C cooler and at 100% is pretty much silent... my other one is like a jet engine at anything other above 60%. Crazy, lol.

Won't be able to crossfire until Friday when I get my replacement PSU.

kharma45

£225 for an ASUS 7970 Matrix Platinum, lord help us all. Such a good price for this card, if you're thinking about a new GPU and were in two minds about the 280X and the 770 forget them and get it.

Afro

my new card is so heavy it's slightly sagging on the right side. what's the best way to keep it level so it doesn't bend or mess anything up over time? thanks.

bogg

Thinking about buying a 7950 for $200 from ebay, that seems like a good deal right?
Even with shipping it's still a lot cheaper then buying one from where I live (they cost around $400 here).

Seanspeed

Banned
my new card is so heavy it's slightly sagging on the right side. what's the best way to keep it level so it doesn't bend or mess anything up over time? thanks.
hzjHjVy.jpg

Thraktor

I'm pretty much clueless with regard to computer builds (I have read the original post which was a help) and my brother is about to purchase a computer with the following:

(apologies for using images, I had to screencapture everything while he was away so I could check them myself and this is more convenient than typing everything out and looking for where he's purchasing everything).

Now, despite not knowing a huge amount (I am slightly more knowledgeable than he is, but not by a significant factor) about computer parts, I feel pretty confident that for the money that is being spent, better, more affordable parts could be chosen. The maximum budget seems to be somewhere in the €800-€900 range including shipping (to Ireland). I haven't said anything to him yet because, as I've mentioned, I'm not hugely knowledgeable and don't want to dissuade him in case that is the best he can do (even though I don't think he should purchase one so soon without doing much research), but I do want to ensure he's not being completely ripped off. Does anybody know a better build for such an amount? His intention is to play games (he wants to 'future proof' it but I'm aware it's a fool's errand with that budget).

If I was to get one myself, I'd personally hold off on a purchase (which is what I'm actually doing as I'm considering a build myself but want to research further and wait to see if the next generation games leads to any jump in specifications or new standards) but he's pretty stubborn about purchasing it in the near future (he was intending to purchase it before next Friday so I'm operating under the assumption that he hasn't already placed an order). Any help would be appreciated because, as I've mentioned, I really don't know enough to check myself or I'd do so and this is the only real assistance (that is, seeking assistance from those who are more knowledgeable) that I can provide.

EDIT: Oh and just for ease:
Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: €900 (roughly, I'm not sure if there's a limit) + Ireland
Main Use: Gaming. I don't know how 'intensive' he will be so I know that makes it quite difficult. I don't think any image or video editting software will be used.
Monitor Resolution: I don't know, I think a monitor is required; I'm unsure if he has one already.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I don't believe there are any specific requirements.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/A
When will you build?: He intends to purchase the pieces by next Friday so it could be before that.
Will you be overclocking?: I don't know.

As can be seen, I know that's not very helpful which is why I didn't include it initially.

Try the following:

Motherboard: ASRock H87 PRO4 S1150 Intel H87 DDR3 ATX - €78.38
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 S1150 3.40GHz 3MB - €120.26
GPU: MSI AMD Radeon 7850 900MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI OC - €152.34
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport VLP DDR3 UDIMM 240pin 1.35V CL9 - €78.74
HDD: WD 1TB Blue SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive - €58.84
SSD: Samsung 120GB 840 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive - €93.61
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case - €58.12
PSU: Antec 450W Basiq VP450P ATX PSU - €41.21
Keyboard: Logitech Keyboard K120 - USB - €10.29
Mouse: CoolerMaster CM Storm Xornet Gaming Mouse - 2000 DPI, 7 Button - €25.30
Monitor: Asus VS228D 21.5" 1920x1080 LED Monitor - €109.00
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English - €83.67

Total (inc delivery): €911.21

All of the above is from Dabs.ie, but if you're in Ireland it's worth checking both Amazon.co.uk and Overclockers.co.uk for prices, and mix-and match your order between the sites to minimise your total cost. Most stuff you'll get from Amazon will be covered by free shipping, but there will be a delivery cost from Overclockers.

Also keep in mind alternatives to the components above on Amazon and Overclockers. For example, after a quick look on Amazon I found this deal on a Gigabyte GTX660 for £132 (~€155) which would be a step above the HD7850 I've got above in performance (and is fitted with a good cooler, to boot).

Also, a few notes on what I've got above:

- I went with a LGA1150 socket (Haswell) motherboard to make it easier for you to upgrade your CPU in the future. There's not much price difference between Haswell motherboards/processors and the older Ivy Bridge ones, so it's worth going with the slightly more future-proof option.

- If you want to/are willing to spend a bit more on the system, the CPU would be the component to upgrade. Possible upgrades are:
Intel Core i5-4440 S1150 3.10GHz 6MB - add €52.61 (straight swap for the i3)
or
Intel Core i5-4670K S1150 3.4GHz 6MB Haswell Quad Core Processor Unlocked
+ Asus Z87M-PLUS S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 mATX
+ CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo - 4 Heatpipe, Tower CPU Cooler - add €175.39 (swap out the CPU and mobo, add the heatsink)
The 4670K will allow you to do overclocking (that's what the K signifies), but you'll need a Z87 motherboard like this Asus, and also a custom heatsink like the 212, which adds a bit to the cost. You do get a good jump in performance, though, particularly in games based on the Unreal Engine (where clock speed is a limiting factor).

- Get an SSD, even if it's just used as an OS drive. It's by far the best investment you can make to make your computer feel faster.

When it gets released. No date has been announced yet

Some websites say it'll be for sale on the 11th? Does that mean we'll be able to buy it on the 11th or generally be able to buy it before hand and it'll ship then.

I generally don't know how it works with video cards.

vilmer_

Those Asus tri-slots are absolute beasts, but the cooling and oc potential more then make up for it. I wouldn't trust putting one in a flimsy tower like that though.

saelz8

So can anyone tell me when I can actually buy the r9 280x? retail or online?

I called Frys earlier (Austin) and they go on sale Friday. They already have them in, just waiting for street date. My Fry's only seems to have the MSI Edition though. You'd have to call yours to see if your stock is different. I'd recommend ASUS.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a GTX 760.

Would the 4gb version be worth the extra 50 bucks (in canada)?
If you want nVidia and don't plan on playing Ultra settings then a 2GB is okay for now.

Price wise a 7950 3GB or 280X are better value choices though.

I called Frys earlier (Austin) and they go on sale Friday. They already have them in, just waiting for street date. My Fry's only seems to have the MSI Edition though. You'd have to call yours to see if your stock is different. I'd recommend ASUS.

I just called the fry's in my area. The guy answered yes and hung up. I thought the call got disconnected so when i called again he did the same thing. gotta love retail.

friday

I need to get hyped guys, I got tracking info for my 4670K and 7970. Goodbye 955 BE and old ass GTX 560, hello sweet frame rates and AA. I think a co-worker can hook me up with a external drive so I can store some important stuff.

I am gonna reformat my spinpoint f3 from 2011 and use that for this build. Should I be worried about hard drive issues in the near future? I know people liked these drives a lot, but I dont know about their longevity.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I need to get hyped guys, I got tracking info for my 4670K and 7970. Goodbye 955 BE and old ass GTX 560, hello sweet frame rates and AA. I think a co-worker can hook me up with a external drive so I can store some important stuff.

I am gonna reformat my spinpoint f3 from 2011 and use that for this build. Should I be worried about hard drive issues in the near future? I know people liked these drives a lot, but I dont know about their longevity.
Nah, I'd take an F3 any day over something new.

zam

With the Battlefield 4 Beta, the talk about it running better on Win 8.1 than Win 7 has gotten me interested in upgrading to Win 8.1. I just have a few questions I need cleared up.

Is it worth upgrading to 8.1 now?
Are there any major issues with Win 8.1 if I just get the start-menu mod/app?
I have an iso of Windows 8.1 with the product key that I got through my university, can I just upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1 and keep all my files and settings, or do I have to do a fresh install?

Sullichin

Have you popped the key off yet? Maybe something is wrong with the stabilizer?
Thanks for the reply, is the stabilizer the metal hinge piece? I took it apart and put it back together to make sure everything was fit properly. But it's not responsive even when the key is popped off... it's just busted. Really liked this keyboard too but don't really want to buy the same one if it has reliability issues.

Anyone have recommendations for a mechanical keyboard for gaming and coding? I was considering the Razer BlackWidow because it has media keys and macros.

Tablo

With the Battlefield 4 Beta, the talk about it running better on Win 8.1 than Win 7 has gotten me interested in upgrading to Win 8.1. I just have a few questions I need cleared up.

Is it worth upgrading to 8.1 now?
Are there any major issues with Win 8.1 if I just get the start-menu mod/app?
I have an iso of Windows 8.1 with the product key that I got through my university, can I just upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8.1 and keep all my files and settings, or do I have to do a fresh install?

Yes it is worth upgrading now, also no issues if you get a start menu app, frankly if you get used to the OS you'll find you won't need one. Also I would recommend a fresh install, but if you want to do an upgrade it should be completely fine :)

Windows 8 is actually great, I'm very surprised. Much better memory management, and frankly I really like the colors and basic look. The Modern/Metro interface is interesting, but I don't find myself using it. Easy enough to avoid it with 8.1.

I actually did an upgrade (not clean install), and it cleared out all my Program Files and associated folders, keeping only My Documents. Not sure if it screwed something up, or I did.

JJBro One

Will running dual monitors take a hit on my fps? I'm playing battlefield on one screen and then using the full screen map through battlelog in chrome on the other.

Ryne

So according to advice I got here, I waited until AMD's announcement. Should I upgrade from an i7 2600K/GTX 580 to a ??? / 280x ?

I'd love some better performance on gaming, feels like I've hit a snag lately with this setup.

kennah

So according to advice I got here, I waited until AMD's announcement. Should I upgrade from an i7 2600K/GTX 580 to a ??? / 280x ?

I'd love some better performance on gaming, feels like I've hit a snag lately with this setup.

Your 2600k is more than enough. Especially overclocked.

New video card would surely help. Wait for 290 benches. The 280 is just a 7970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom