• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehPabz

So I need help in building a gaming pc with a budget of $750-$800 dollars. It's gonna be my first build as I'm looking into gaming pc! Any suggestions would be great! if any of you guys would be willing to help me that would be awesomene! I was looking at HD Radeon 7970 or 7950(would love to be able to play BF4 at 1080p resolution).

Addnan

So I need help in building a gaming pc with a budget of $750-$800 dollars. It's gonna be my first build as I'm looking into gaming pc! Any suggestions would be great! if any of you guys would be willing to help me that would be awesomene! I was looking at HD Radeon 7970 or 7950(would love to be able to play BF4 at 1080p resolution).

There are some questions in the OP, fill them out.

kennah

Read the OP :)

Pakkidis

Just finished my first build and I'm VERY nervous turning it on. I had a lot of trouble plugging in the power in the hard drive/ssd and optical drives. I had it the right way but for some reason it was not going on very smoothly.

Everything LOOKS like its right, everything is installed however the wires are a mess. Just praying to god everything turns out ok.

TehPabz

Oops sorry about not filling the questionnaire.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Mac Mini late 2012 model(2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion)
Budget: $750-$800+ USA
Main Use: Gaming / video editing/
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games: Battlefield 4, WoW, Saints Row 4
Somewhere in the range of 30-100 fps.
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not that important.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No starting fresh but looking into buying HD Radeon 7970-7950 whichever one is better but if a Nvidia card is better I'm all to listening to options.
When will you build?: End of the month(October).
Will you be overclocking?: No

saelz8

Got my first ever "Late Train" with UPS after ordering something from Newegg. Was supposed to be here today, even paid a bit extra for it. Shit is stuck in Dallas.

Newline

Hey guys, quick question... I'm going to be buying an R9 280x when they are released. My current CPU is an i5 2500k 3.3ghz. How much is my CPU going to hold back my new GPU? Have never over clocked before.

kennah

Oops sorry about not filling the questionnaire.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Mac Mini late 2012 model(2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion)
Budget: $750-$800+ USA
Main Use: Gaming / video editing/
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games: Battlefield 4, WoW, Saints Row 4
Somewhere in the range of 30-100 fps.
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? Not that important.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No starting fresh but looking into buying HD Radeon 7970-7950 whichever one is better but if a Nvidia card is better I'm all to listening to options.
When will you build?: End of the month(October).
Will you be overclocking?: No

Great. Go for the $800 best value build in the OP.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nbro

Threw this together super quick. You could shop around a bit to try to find a good deal on a 7970. Or find some used parts to help keep the costs down.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Merc Beta (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $856.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-10 16:07 EDT-0400)

Hey guys, quick question... I'm going to be buying an R9 280x when they are released. My current CPU is an i5 2500k 3.3ghz. How much is my CPU going to hold back my new GPU? Have never over clocked before.

It doesn't exactly work like that. Some stuff is optimized for CPU, some stuff is optimized for GPU. So nothing holds back anything else unless there is a VERY WIDE discrepancy between the parts, but you'll always see benefits from whatever is faster.

That said - look up benchmarks for a 7970. The 280 is basically the same thing.

AND OVERCLOCK THAT CPU. It's a crime seeing a non overclocked K. Even if you go up to 4.0-4.2ghz, you'll see a decent increase in performance.

Kenka

GAF, is a widescreen (2560*1080) format monitor worth it ? I assume I would be playing and watching movies like never before but has anyone some experience with this setup in here ? I would love to hear some echoes before I weight the possibility to get one myself.

IMG_1866_gallery_post.jpg

Battlefield-3-2560x1080.jpg

landscapes-nature_00301950.jpg

RascarCapat

Neo Member
GAF, is a widescreen (2560*1080) format monitor worth it ? I assume I would be playing and watching movies like never before but has anyone some experience with this setup in here ? I would love to hear some echoes before I weight the possibility to get one myself.

That's funny i was actually coming here to ask the same question.

This format looks really awesome to me and I've been doing some research about games compatibility with it and it seems to be doing more than OK with most of them.

Which screen would you actually recommend if I planned on getting one of these screens ?

Afro

that BF shot is stunning. thanks, now I need to buy a 2560*1080 monitor. :(

edit: wouldn't that put the people with normal 16:9 resolutions at a disadvantage?

that BF shot is stunning. thanks, now I need to buy a 2560*1080 monitor. :(

edit: wouldn't that put the people with normal 16:9 resolutions at a disadvantage?

It's their problem if they want to play games at less than 100 degree fov to begin with....

Everyone used to play at 90-120 fov in the quake 3/ ut/cs days and that was on 4:3 monitors

You see more but you have to aim at less pixels because everything is much smaller, that's the tradeoff.
Imo it's much more enjoyable to not have to play games with eye blinders on.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm currently running with a Sandy Bridge mobo and CPU (i5 2500K). Should I be looking for an upgrade or am I still good to go for a good while yet?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
With the lackluster AMD 280X, I was considering getting Xbone (already getting PS4) to tide me over to 20nm. But this leak for the 290X is enticing. Going to wait for benchmarks before I decide. I'm not keen on GPU specs, but it seems like that leak suggests something on the order of 50% faster than Titan. Still not happy about 4 GB, concerned about console ports in 2 years choking on it.

kharma45

What driver sweeper do you guys use?

Do people even do that anymore?

No need for it now.

With the lackluster AMD 280X, I was considering getting Xbone (already getting PS4) to tide me over to 20nm. But this leak for the 290X is enticing. Going to wait for benchmarks before I decide. I'm not keen on GPU specs, but it seems like that leak suggests something on the order of 50% faster than Titan. Still not happy about 4 GB, concerned about console ports in 2 years choking on it.

Not a chance in hell it'll be 50% faster.

TehPabz

Great. Go for the $800 best value build in the OP.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nbro

Threw this together super quick. You could shop around a bit to try to find a good deal on a 7970. Or find some used parts to help keep the costs down.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Merc Beta (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $856.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-10 16:07 EDT-0400)

It doesn't exactly work like that. Some stuff is optimized for CPU, some stuff is optimized for GPU. So nothing holds back anything else unless there is a VERY WIDE discrepancy between the parts, but you'll always see benefits from whatever is faster.

That said - look up benchmarks for a 7970. The 280 is basically the same thing.

AND OVERCLOCK THAT CPU. It's a crime seeing a non overclocked K. Even if you go up to 4.0-4.2ghz, you'll see a decent increase in performance.
sweet thanks! Hopefully by the time I ordered some parts are on sale! Haha.

What's the best cheap(ish) gaming monitor available in Germany?

Currently planning a budget build for my cousin and he doesn't have a decent monitor.
As he's mostly playing RPGs and RTS, I thought a 21-23", 1920x1080 IPS monitor would make sense, but unfortunately those Asus monitors from the OP aren't available here.

Apart from those, what's out there for around 150€? PRAD.de likes the Dell U2212HM and the LG IPS235P. Any recommendations?

kharma45

Rufus

What's the best cheap(ish) gaming monitor available in Germany?

Currently planning a budget build for my cousin and he doesn't have a decent monitor.
As he's mostly playing RPGs and RTS, I thought a 21-23", 1920x1080 IPS monitor would make sense, but unfortunately those Asus monitors from the OP aren't available here.

Apart from those, what's out there for around 150€? PRAD.de likes the Dell U2212HM and the LG IPS235P. Any recommendations?
This would be my pick. PRAD recommends it in their buyer's guide as well.
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005OPLG0O/redorbonlinevisi

TehPabz

All good that but I'd make some changes. XFX cards are poor, keep an eye on another brand.

I'm not 100% sure as I'm not an American but it looks like Microcenter do home delivery on this case, which I'd swap for the Bitfenix, much better option http://www.microcenter.com/product/383061/Core_3000_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

That or the Source 210 Elite.
Is this card better http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRNRSLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also is this power supply good enough too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MU8VCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Trying to safe money on other parts so I can afford a good gpu :p I own windows 7(64 bit) that I bought for my boot camp so I'm covered there.

If you have another build in mind I'm all ears haha. Just really looking into getting into pc gaming and wanna start off right.

kharma45

Is this card better http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRNRSLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also is this power supply good enough too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MU8VCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Trying to safe money on other parts so I can afford a good gpu :p I own windows 7(64 bit) that I bought for my boot camp so I'm covered there.

If you have another build in mind I'm all ears haha. Just really looking into getting into pc gaming and wanna start off right.

No and no.

If you want to save cash on the PSU there is a good 650w Rosewill that'll save $5 or if you are willing to sacrifice modularity then there is this 650w TX Corsair at $50 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

There is only one unit cheaper than that and it's the XFX 450w. Solid unit too.

GPU wise there is this for $190 after rebate, it's a good 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

NotSelf

For psu I would consider going Fully Modular this is what i'm using I have the 850 very quiet ya it's a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V1000-Modular-Certification/dp/B00CGY4ETG/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381450334&sr=1-13&keywords=cooler+master+power+supply

Pakkidis

Just turned on the comp for the first time and everything seems fine. In the bios it is not showing me the harddrive for bootsequence but it is showing the ssd and optical drive. Under sata connections it does show the hardrive though. What does this mean?

TehPabz

No and no.

If you want to save cash on the PSU there is a good 650w Rosewill that'll save $5 or if you are willing to sacrifice modularity then there is this 650w TX Corsair at $50 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

There is only one unit cheaper than that and it's the XFX 450w. Solid unit too.

GPU wise there is this for $190 after rebate, it's a good 7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Ok thanks man I also pm'ed you.

Argyle

So the other week I asked about a SFF build, this is more or less what I went with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg) (not this exact model - recycled from another PC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 760W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.98 @ NCIX US) (Actually the X-750 model, recycled from another PC. Is the X-750 discontinued?)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($87.98 @ Newegg) (yeah, I decided to spring for the BD drive)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-10 20:35 EDT-0400)

I'm happy to report that the Elite 130 worked out pretty well - was easily able to overclock the 4770K to 4.4Ghz (at about 1.21V) with no problems. Eventually I will upgrade my workstation's GPU and move a 7970 into this machine, but for now the 6970 is getting the job done.

For those of you considering the Elite 130 - it really is meant for an AIO water cooler, so if you plan to use one, you should be able to get a reasonable overclock going. I think it has the same limitations with CPU cooler height as the Elite 120 so I'm not sure I would consider this case if you wanted to use an air cooler. Everything is quiet enough for my needs, the loudest things are the fans on the GPU when a game is running.

Argyle

Any pics? :)

I'm not much of a photographer but...

20131002_163609_zps729b0e1a.jpg

I got the case before the rest of the parts, you can see the case partially disassembled in the background. I took this picture a few minutes after all the parts arrived.

20131010_145318_zps055bde0a.jpg

Yup. That's a Vectrex sitting on top of it for now, to give you guys a sense of scale (if you know how big a Vectrex is...)

Cables are kinda everywhere right now as I need to hook up an HDMI switchbox to get everything going for real, will probably also hook 5.1 audio to my receiver via analog (right now I'm using a way too long optical cable + DTS Connect)...

Rufus

Just turned on the comp for the first time and everything seems fine. In the bios it is not showing me the harddrive for bootsequence but it is showing the ssd and optical drive. Under sata connections it does show the hardrive though. What does this mean?
Probably just the defaults? Try to change them or add one (USB-HDD would be useful to add in case you ever need to boot off a stick) and see if you can pick the HDD from there. I don't think you need to worry too much if it shows up among the connected SATA devices.

SYNTAX182

EVGA 02G-P4-3657-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

This a decent card for the price? My old gpu died on me. I'm mostly playing Path of Exile and Dark Souls 2 when it comes out. I also do graphic design work on Adobe Suite. Will this be able to handle DS2 at above average settings close to 60fps?

For other stuff on my pc, I have an old Asrock H61M-VS Micro ATX, 4GB of Ram, G620 intel cpu and a corsair cx430 psu on Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm gonna buy a new processor, probably an i3. And then upgrading the motherboard later on too. Wondering if the power supply will be capable for this upgrade.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So the other week I asked about a SFF build, this is more or less what I went with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($63.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg) (not this exact model - recycled from another PC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 760W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.98 @ NCIX US) (Actually the X-750 model, recycled from another PC. Is the X-750 discontinued?)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($87.98 @ Newegg) (yeah, I decided to spring for the BD drive)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-10 20:35 EDT-0400)

I'm happy to report that the Elite 130 worked out pretty well - was easily able to overclock the 4770K to 4.4Ghz (at about 1.21V) with no problems. Eventually I will upgrade my workstation's GPU and move a 7970 into this machine, but for now the 6970 is getting the job done.

For those of you considering the Elite 130 - it really is meant for an AIO water cooler, so if you plan to use one, you should be able to get a reasonable overclock going. I think it has the same limitations with CPU cooler height as the Elite 120 so I'm not sure I would consider this case if you wanted to use an air cooler. Everything is quiet enough for my needs, the loudest things are the fans on the GPU when a game is running.
Super nice!
EVGA 02G-P4-3657-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

This a decent card for the price? My old gpu died on me. I'm mostly playing Path of Exile and Dark Souls 2 when it comes out. I also do graphic design work on Adobe Suite. Will this be able to handle DS2 at above average settings close to 60fps?

For other stuff on my pc, I have an old Asrock H61M-VS Micro ATX, 4GB of Ram, G620 intel cpu and a corsair cx430 psu on Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm gonna buy a new processor, probably an i3. And then upgrading the motherboard later on too. Wondering if the power supply will be capable for this upgrade.
Perfect card for you.

My friend has that EVGA 650 TI. It runs super hot. On the Heaven Benchmark on default settings the temperature skyrockets to 81c on default settings with a high percentage fan speed.

JimPanzer

is the Asus P8Z77-M Pro Mainboard a good mainboard in its price category (125€)? looking for something to upgrade from my msi b75ma-e33 to overclock my i5 3570k.
for a cooler iIm looking at a scythe mugen 3.

maneil99

So with the new Nvidia beta drivers it seems like I am getting GPUrelated crashes in BF3. My GPU is heavily overclocked but is stable in BF4, Firemark Extreme, Metro Last Light and every other game I play. The issue is a hardlock freeze with artifacts and a buzzing noise. The event log reports a GPU crash which makes me think its driver or overclock related. Thoughts? I heard alot about nvidia issues and BF3 but never had issues until now. This is a 13 mhz boost above my old OC ( Higher Vcore though aswell ) Sometimes I can play for hours no issues, others within 10 minutes

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
My friend has that EVGA 650 TI. It runs super hot. On the Heaven Benchmark on default settings the temperature skyrockets to 81c on default settings with a high percentage fan speed.
Oh shit you are right it's a blower cooler.
I'm blind.

Grab this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121728
or a 7850 2GB or a GTX 660. All good choices!
So with the new Nvidia beta drivers it seems like I am getting GPUrelated crashes in BF3. My GPU is heavily overclocked but is stable in BF4, Firemark Extreme, Metro Last Light and every other game I play. The issue is a hardlock freeze with artifacts and a buzzing noise. The event log reports a GPU crash which makes me think its driver or overclock related. Thoughts? I heard alot about nvidia issues and BF3 but never had issues until now. This is a 13 mhz boost above my old OC ( Higher Vcore though aswell ) Sometimes I can play for hours no issues, others within 10 minutes
Just back the clock and voltage to stock to make sure it's not that.

maneil99

Oh shit you are right it's a blower cooler.
I'm blind.

Grab this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121728
or a 7850 2GB or a GTX 660. All good choices!

Just back the clock and voltage to stock to make sure it's not that.

haven't tried lowering but I just played for an hour and no issues, just disabled origin in game. Hopefully its driver related because it shouldn't be GPU related. Firemark and Metro should get unstable before BF3. Normally when my GPU is unstable it will crash not hardlock or artifact. Normally artifacting is from memory clocks

Guess its to be expected with beta drivers designed for the engine right?

Also latest crash wasn't even a Driver crash according to event log which always happens when my GPU is unstable

GruntosUK

I have some questions. I have some money floating around, it might be the last time in a while with a new baby on the way so I thought I would upgrade the PC :) I am not sure of the bits I need or will get benefit from so here is my plan.

There is an i5 in there now, which I cant afford to upgrade, and the motherboard doesn't support SLI. I am a work from home Game Dev and the PC is my primary games machine (its the upgrades or next gen basically). What I want to upgrade is

8gb RAM to 16gb RAM

Gtx670 to GTX770 4gb (Video RAM will be needed more next gen I read??)

Stick a 256gb SSD in for a main drive, move the 128 SSD for Steam Games, already have a 2TB storage

Upgrade PSU from 500W to 700W, I have found these two on eBay, what are the differences?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360591367231?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Labs-...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item5af482ce0a

Because the price is hugely different.

maneil99

I have some questions. I have some money floating around, it might be the last time in a while with a new baby on the way so I thought I would upgrade the PC :) I am not sure of the bits I need or will get benefit from so here is my plan.

There is an i5 in there now, which I cant afford to upgrade, and the motherboard doesn't support SLI. I am a work from home Game Dev and the PC is my primary games machine (its the upgrades or next gen basically). What I want to upgrade is

8gb RAM to 16gb RAM

Stick a 256gb SSD in for a main drive, move the 128 SSD for Steam Games, already have a 2TB storage

Upgrade PSU from 500W to 700W, I have found these two on eBay, what are the differences?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360591367231?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Labs-...omputing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item5af482ce0a

670 - 770 won't make a huge difference unless your being limited by VRAM. I would look at a 780 if its in your budget or a 290/290x when they are announced next week. A 770 is worth it if you can sell your 670 but even then you are looking at 10-20% for 400$

I'd stay away from either of those PSU's

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
haven't tried lowering but I just played for an hour and no issues, just disabled origin in game. Hopefully its driver related because it shouldn't be GPU related. Firemark and Metro should get unstable before BF3. Normally when my GPU is unstable it will crash not hardlock or artifact. Normally artifacting is from memory clocks

Guess its to be expected with beta drivers designed for the engine right?

Also latest crash wasn't even a Driver crash according to event log which always happens when my GPU is unstable
Just easier with too many variables and Boost / Power Limits. Don't play BF3 so I can't comment.

8gb RAM to 16gb RAM

670 to 770 isn't worth the upgrade.
16GB is good.
You can overclock your i5 a touch if you feel comfortable with it (I can understand not wanting to) it's still 100% solid in performance now and doesn't need replacing.
Both those PSU's are not something I'd use. If you are running a 670 fine now that's all you need.

GruntosUK

670 - 770 won't make a huge difference unless your being limited by VRAM. I would look at a 780 if its in your budget or a 290/290x when they are announced next week. A 770 is worth it if you can sell your 670 but even then you are looking at 10-20% for 400$

I'd stay away from either of those PSU's

670 to 770 isn't worth the upgrade.
16GB is good.
You can overclock your i5 a touch if you feel comfortable with it (I can understand not wanting to) it's still 100% solid in performance now and doesn't need replacing.
Both those PSU's are not something I'd use. If you are running a 670 fine now that's all you need.

A 780 is to expensive, and if I am getting that little performance increase from a 770, then that isn't worth it either. Thanks for the help. I will stick the RAM and SSD in, keep the rest of the money away for the new GPU's, see what those are like.

My freind overclock the i5, its way above its base speed, 4.3ghz or around there I seem to remember.

Just out of interest, and for future reference, why not those PSU's? :)

Thanks for the help guys, you saved me a good chunk of GPU money there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom